Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Minimum Sentence Rule for Role-playing Posts (Excluding the One Liners board)

NEW USERS START HERE: All rules and official announcements are posted here, as well as general information about the role-playing setting.
RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Minimum Sentence Rule for Role-playing Posts (Excluding the One Liners board)

Post by RabidFox » Thu May 17, 2007 7:40 pm

All ROLE-PLAYING posts must contain NO LESS than five good sentences. This rule does NOT apply to NON-ROLE-PLAYING posts.

Role-plays that allow posts under five sentences may ONLY be posted in the One Liners board.

The purpose of implementing and enforcing this rule is to make role-plays more enjoyable for everyone. Posts that are very short do not tell much about the characters or the story. It can be difficult for others to respond if there isn't a lot of information to work with. Role-playing posts with only one or two sentences leave people confused and unsure of how to interact with their own characters.

Here is some direction on what you can do to expand upon your role-playing posts.

What kind of person is your character? Are they good natured and honest? Do they have a dark personality with surprising twists? How well do they get along with other people? What sort of thoughts do they have?

There are many ways to add colour and interest to a post. Everyone has a complex mind full of different ideas, opinions, feelings, goals, and drives. As you role-play, your character will face many situations where they will have to engage with the world around them. It's important to tell us what they are thinking and how they are behaving. Fellow role-players will play off everything that you write, so you need to take at least a little time to present your character.

Is that smile friendly or hostile? Is the tone of their voice calm or upset? What kind of body language are they using? What kind of look is in their eyes?

Everyone is a mixture of different elements. You don't want to leave the entire interpretation of your character up to another role-player's imagination. Let us know where your character really stands. You don't need to go on and on. A sentence here or there is enough. But you really need to drop hints to the background of your character's mind. If you don't want to write paragraphs of detail, then try to add a little more and a little more colour in each of your posts. Tell us who they are. Don't force us to struggle with only a small amount of insight.

What are they wearing? How do their clothes explain their personality? What do they notice? How do they react to their environment? What kind of mood are they in? How do their emotions shift? What makes them grow as a person? How do they change over time?

There are all sorts of things to consider. Remember... you don't have to be perfect. You don't have to write and write and write. But you need to at least give other people something to work with.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to send a private message to RabidFox or you can simply reply to this topic.
Last edited by RabidFox on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:15 am, edited 12 times in total.

Sponsor

Fell
Baron

Post by Fell » Thu May 17, 2007 10:27 pm

Just one thing - Yay.

...Kind of ironic that the first post in here is under the sentence limit. X3 Then again, it isn't roleplay, so it's alright - correct?
-Kai

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Ichii_Ayame/BANNERFell.png[/img]

[url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=12969#12969]Lae[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=12974#12974]Zephyr[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=13424#13424]'Nique[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=14366#14366]Fenix[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=14402#14402]Junan[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=18160#18160]Sari[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=19753#19753]Niah[/url]

"Sometimes the fall kills you. Sometimes you wake up before you hit the ground. But sometimes, when you fall, you
*fly*." -[i]The Sandman[/i]

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Thu May 17, 2007 10:47 pm

You are correct. This rule only applies to role-playing posts and not OOC posts.

JamesG
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG » Fri May 18, 2007 2:29 am

Very good sir. I think RPs will be most noticeably improved from this rule.
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

Zeru
Duke
Species: Derp

Post by Zeru » Fri May 18, 2007 8:49 am

Finally... revolution!

-runs off to cause mischief-
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Ichii_Ayame/Banner_Zeru.png[/img]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=1288]My Characters (or most of them...)[/url]

CalebFox
Baron
Location: That's on a need to know basis, and nobody but me needs to know!!!

Post by CalebFox » Fri May 18, 2007 2:22 pm

... I don't think it's so much fun. I kinda roleplay what I would do if I actually were that character, and what if I'm posting something where I'm waiting for the other person to perform an action? What then?
Characters: Ryoho Haruno, Ardulbryne Kilghym

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:00 am

@Anyone

I should point out that this rule has nothing what-so-ever to do with the Midas Arena. I don't mind if you only post one-liners and such there.

@CalebFox

Instead of posting again before the addressed has a chance to respond, you could wait for the addressed to post their part of the role-play. One thing I have noticed in role-plays that causes a lot of one-liners is a few people that are online at the same time, and do not wait for others in the role-play that are offline to be able to post their piece.

Patience is a virtue when role-playing. Anyone can create a one or two liner in less than a minute, but it only takes a little more time and thought to write five sentences.

I am willing to help anyone with difficulties in this area, and I am pretty certain that the moderators of this forum would not mind giving their aid on the matter, either. Zeru and Madame, in particular, are always offering their help in the Entrance Hall.

Candro Katamora
Cub

Post by Candro Katamora » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:19 am

Its good to notice that someone actually sees the importance of patience when waiting for an RP to continue.Waiting for someone to post that isn't on is alright.Sure it takes a good while for the RP to continue if the others aren't on for a while but it makes the wait all the more fun if they realize just how important it is to just hold off and wait for everyone to be able to post that is in the RP.This is why I like a rule of turn.Depending on how many people post in the RP,it should stay in that order so that everyone can enjoy themselves as much as possible.Its not about who has so many posts or just wanting to keep going.Everyone has to be present to keep that RP going unless spoken otherwise by the muns themselves.Correct me if i'm wrong by the way
One only has one side to them though they can have multiple areas in their mind.If one has nine and the other has five,how many will be in the room?

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:42 am

We don't have a turn rule, but some people do make use of turn-etiquette here.

Inkwolf
Assassin
Location: Backwater outpost on Antiga. (HIGHLY OBSCURE REFERENCE!)

Post by Inkwolf » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:27 pm

Well, see, for sytlistic reasons, i quite often use what could be considered a run-on sentence, as shown here. Hell, read any of my posts, andf you will surely see that it's pretty damn common of me to do so. This being the case, I was just wondering if there is an exception, as a five sentence post could be quite long, or if I should just try to break my long statemnts down into smaller ones?
A short bio of each of my characters.

Ramul: Clydesdale, templar. Ramul is old, slow, and short tempered. He has an intense love for the drink. His weapons of choice are the javelin and the short sword.

Adagio: Wolf/Coyote cross, traveler. Adagio is unfamiliar with most of the Feilan languages, as he was raised in a tribal area of the Raven Territory. He gets by mainly through theft and broken Edwinian.

Cayan: Mixed-breed canine, White Mage. Cayan is a timid fellow, but he has a short fuse. He prefers healing magicks, and rarely uses anything else. Last time he got in a fight he cried about it afterwards.

Diogi (Pronounced Dee-oh-jee){Age of Drive By Shootings}: Akita, Street artist/gas station cashier. Diogi is a bit of a quiet fellow, but he likes to party. Trouble seems to stick to him like glue to paper, but he takes it in stride.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:37 pm

Run-on sentences are fine, as are all types of stylistic writing. The only rule is that the post must contain a minimum of five sentences.

MauEvig
Rogue

Post by MauEvig » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:34 am

While I understand that patience is a virtue, sometimes I feel roleplays do flow better with only a couple sentences at a time. Especially if it's a fast paced roleplay. I'm kind of used to chat roleplaying though.
*shrug* I don't percieve this as a novel and while I disagree with the rule I'll do my best to follow it anyway. :/
The reason I say it is that I don't really need five sentences to draw out a single action in a character. Dragging it out to me would water it down.
Here's an example that I'm talking about:

He jumps in head first ready for action, bearing sword in hand and glaring down the opponent. Cocking his head sideways he turns and looks at his partner and nods. "Alright let's see what you've got."

Then the opponent character could then respond. Realistically some actions don't need to take any more time than they have to.

JamesG
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:05 am

The tiger knew he would fight to the death, or damn his honour. Their opponent was skilled and dangerous, but years of training had brought him to this moment. He wasn't so sure if his partner was up to the task, but so far by Midas he had shown his speed and zeal for victory. He jumps in head first ready for action, bearing sword in hand and glaring down the opponent. Cocking his head sideways he turns and looks at his partner and nods. "Alright let's see what you've got."

It's simple to write their thoughts, emotions and their environment into a short RP to make up at least five sentences. I didn't even need to go into the environment in that to make the minimum. I don't believe it waters the action down in that manner either. Long sentences do, but the shorter ones leading up to the actions keep it moving. :wink:
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

MauEvig
Rogue

Post by MauEvig » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:48 pm

*shrug* Yes but as a story teller I'm not entirely sure if all that detail is entirely necessary.
I appreciate the criticism, and like I said, I'll do my best to follow the rule.
It's just sometimes it's better for me to read a couple sentences and think about what to respond rather than sitting back for twenty minutes reading an entire paragraph.
True, what you wrote really isn't that long. But I rather all that information be there as the story progresses. Y'know what I mean?

redhyena
Cub

Post by redhyena » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:07 am

*shrugs* Okay, I will make a note of that.
I hope I am starting where I am supposed to.
that witch dose not kill us macks us stronger but also berings us on step closer to death :red hyena 1998