Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Minimum Sentence Rule for Role-playing Posts (Excluding the One Liners board)

NEW USERS START HERE: All rules and official announcements are posted here, as well as general information about the role-playing setting.
themnax
Cub
Species: cat lananran green

Post by themnax » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:34 am

i like the idea on general principals as much as everyone else. i have one question though that i hope is not too nit-pickie: what about i.c. conversations?

i.e. i don't think anyone wants to be putting words in another rollplayer's charicter's mouth, so how can the five sentence rule be implimented in that context. or should/is, this treated as a seperate special case and the one and only in charicter exception. or is there some other and better way to handle this, should such a situation happen to come up?
=^^=
.../\...

Sponsor

Justin
King

Post by Justin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:58 am

I believe you mean - "What if your answer in a conversation is naturally below five sentences?"

There's a few things that one can do in this case.
Describe what your character is thinking, where he looks. His reaction to something - a part of the environment that catches his attention, something distracting. You can mention an action that he makes - smoothing out his shirt, or wiping his palms...

There's an infinite number of characterizations you can add to a conversation.

Instead of:
Scott shook his head. "No."
You can easily expand it into:
Scott shook his head, casting his eyes downward. Micheal's question made him... rather uncomfortable, to say the least. Such matters were of a private and sensitive nature... there was no reason that this wolf should be asking about the family's expenditure. "No." he said coldly, immediately scowling. Not the most subtle, but then again, the operations they were running weren't subtle. They were kept in place by fear and money, regardless of whether or not they were "common knowledge."

Same situation, you can just expound.
I thought that I'd come up with something much smaller and more simple writing that, really... I surprised myself with how much I was able to write. Adding detail is a good writing exercise, gets the "juices flowing."

And, the more you write, the more the other player has to think about and respond to.

In the first example, Michael would just respond to dialogue.
But with the second example, Michael could respond to Scott's eyes falling, the coldness of his voice, etc...

More detail helps you learn to write better.
And it also makes for better roleplays.

And it's really not that hard to do once you get going.

FallenLeaf
Count
Species: Mephitis (Skunk)

Post by FallenLeaf » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:55 pm

I'd just like to add that a character's inner monologue can vastly expand a post's length.
-----------------
Well, this is odd, Arcturus thought to himself, as his eyes darted across the inner workings of the engine that lay before him. True enough, most propulsion equipment of the time ran on steam; coal would heat water, which would build into pressure. But this one seemed... Different...
I...I've never seen anything like this... His mind began to take in every piece, every gear, as his hands nimbly set about disassembling the machine.
Tension springs, gears... This appears to be clockwork... As he came to this realization, his brow perked, a blatant indicator of the dog's piqued interest.
-------------------
Notice the extremely low amount of detail I went into there, yet, even with my lack of solid description, this simple action merits well over five sentences. So much could have been added to that simply by describing where Acrturus was, what the machine looked like, and who was with him. But at the same time, notice as well that the entirety of this post could potentially be replaced by the following:

Arcturus begins to disassemble the motor.

Notice further that the first example was also a whole lot more of an entertaining read.
"A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones" ` Proverbs 17:22

kitbear
Thief

Post by kitbear » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:50 pm

Just wanna barge in here and offer my apologies in advance, I will probably break this rule like once a month. And I will not revise to make my post redundant just so I can fall in line. But at least I am not going to ever break this rule intentionally. So gimme a hug and kiss, and off we go. To the dimensional break with my furry little self. :mrgreen:
Now I'm the best at whatever Wolverine does.

JamesG
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:27 am

Well, if you know you are breaking the rule, and purposefully not doing anything to correct it, then you are breaking it intentionally, and I shall have to PM you about it. Apologising in advance about a rule you know you are breaking purposefully does not help you, me or anyone else.
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

Jackie Haystack
God

Post by Jackie Haystack » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:26 am

I think what he means is that he will occassionally post quickly and wind up counting incorrectly due to rushing. It's still breaking the rule etc etc. but it's not as bad as 'oh it only happens once a month so that'll be fine'

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:40 am

kitbear wrote:Just wanna barge in here and offer my apologies in advance, I will probably break this rule like once a month. And I will not revise to make my post redundant just so I can fall in line. But at least I am not going to ever break this rule intentionally. So gimme a hug and kiss, and off we go. To the dimensional break with my furry little self. :mrgreen:
Hello and good day.

I'm not really sure that I understand where you're coming from. Why do you plan on breaking this rule once a month, and why do you feel that you can make no move to correct yourself when you do? I'm not trying to sound strict, but we do have rules for a reason, and this sort of announcement is quite unusual.

Thank you.

Jackie Haystack
God

Post by Jackie Haystack » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:16 am

From what I've gathered the points are:

1. he may sometimes rush a post and not realise that he is under the limit

2. He doesn't plan to edit them as it may break the continuity of the thread if he does so (though that is doubtful to be honest)

But yeah... I'm not him I just know exactly what he means because I'm in a rush sometimes (hence me occassionally butchering a sentence into two :P)

Justin
King

Post by Justin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:24 pm

kitbear wrote:Just wanna barge in here and offer my apologies in advance, I will probably break this rule like once a month. And I will not revise to make my post redundant just so I can fall in line. But at least I am not going to ever break this rule intentionally. So gimme a hug and kiss, and off we go. To the dimensional break with my furry little self. :mrgreen:
If you're here at this site, you'll follow whatever rules are mandated, whether or not you like them. We truthfully have very few that we ask you to follow, and they all benefit you and the other roleplayers in the long run. Refusing to follow them... and then openly declaring it... is certainly not a way to earn yourself any sort of pardon around here, especially when you go on to say that you won't attempt to fix the problem. That is much more likely to elicit foul-tempered responses than saying nothing about it.

If you know you're going to do it, or make a post, and do nothing to correct it, that is intentionally breaking the rules.

So no hugs or kisses.

SnickerdoodleBlack
Rogue
Species: Maine Coon

Re: Minimum Sentence Rule for Role-playing Posts

Post by SnickerdoodleBlack » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:57 am

I'm fairly literate, and I don't have a problem with making all my RP-ing posts at least five sentences.
(Not as hard as the time on another RP board where the mods held a week-long challenge to turn every post into a haiku!!)

themnax
Cub

Post by themnax » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:51 am

this is probably one of the reasons i'd sort of forgot this place existed.

a better rule would be more simple to be respectful of the context in which a roll play was taking place.

i've never entirely understood how to handle conversations in a roll play.

i'm pretty sure i've never witnessed a conversation in real life in which people took turns speaking a minimum of five sentences by for the other replied.

i'm not trying to be a smart ass, i just totally don't understand how this concept is to be implemented.

i guess i just have a totally different concept in my mind of what roll play consists of.

so again its not a censure or a boycott, i just don't understand how i can participate under this restriction.
=^^=
.../\...

themnax
Cub

Re:

Post by themnax » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:55 am

Justin wrote:I believe you mean - "What if your answer in a conversation is naturally below five sentences?"

There's a few things that one can do in this case.
Describe what your character is thinking, where he looks. His reaction to something - a part of the environment that catches his attention, something distracting. You can mention an action that he makes - smoothing out his shirt, or wiping his palms...

There's an infinite number of characterizations you can add to a conversation.

Instead of:
Scott shook his head. "No."
You can easily expand it into:
Scott shook his head, casting his eyes downward. Micheal's question made him... rather uncomfortable, to say the least. Such matters were of a private and sensitive nature... there was no reason that this wolf should be asking about the family's expenditure. "No." he said coldly, immediately scowling. Not the most subtle, but then again, the operations they were running weren't subtle. They were kept in place by fear and money, regardless of whether or not they were "common knowledge."

Same situation, you can just expound.
I thought that I'd come up with something much smaller and more simple writing that, really... I surprised myself with how much I was able to write. Adding detail is a good writing exercise, gets the "juices flowing."

And, the more you write, the more the other player has to think about and respond to.

In the first example, Michael would just respond to dialogue.
But with the second example, Michael could respond to Scott's eyes falling, the coldness of his voice, etc...

More detail helps you learn to write better.
And it also makes for better roleplays.

And it's really not that hard to do once you get going.
sure you CAN do these things, i'm sorry but i just can't make any kind of sense in MOST situations out of doing them.
sorry if that's a problem. so i guess for now i'll just watch.
writing more pedantically is NOT better writing. sorry.
=^^=
.../\...

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Post by Rackenhammer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:02 am

If you'll look over most of the active threads, you'll see some good examples of paragraph minimums. Forum RP isn't like IRC; the slower pace allows for greater detail in the description, and more intricacy in the plotting. Some of us are too busy to get out more than 1 or 2 posts a day, so we like to make them count, as it were.

5 sentences is hardly pedantic, anyhow. If you want to know what 'pedantic' really is, follow the link below to my character profiles. They go on for pages in a Word document. We're not asking that, thank goodness.
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Rackenhammer's RP Experience "blog"

e-mail: [email protected]

All my characters in their insane length

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:35 am

Nobody is asking you to write a highly detailed post and nobody is asking you to always talk in at least five sentences. That doesn't make any sense. If you go to the library and pick up any novel, authors always provide detail when a character speaks. They don't just say something and leave it at that. They explain what is going on, what the character is thinking, are they smiling or frowning, where they are and what that place looks like, who are they even talking to and why, etcetera, etcetera.

The reason we don't allow role-playing posts under five sentences is because doing so wouldn't make any sense. If a person doesn't provide enough detail for other people to work with, then the role-play will stop and not continue.

If all you do is tell me what your character said, how is that going to give me any material to work with? What I need to know is: What does your character mean by whatever they said? Even in real, everyday life, if I talk to a person, I would never know what they meant if all they did was talk. The person would have all kinds of different ways to express their feelings. They would have: Expressions, hand gestures, emotional ques, speech and emotional patterns, personality quirks, etcetera. If all a person ever did was talk to me, I'd never know what they were talking about. The keyword here is "about". For example, okay, you said this and that, but what do you really mean by what you're saying?

XLilli
Assassin
Species: Cat anthro
United States of America

Post by XLilli » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Why not there be an exception to the rule in fight scenes where everyone's on the chat and such?
I haven't RPed here before, so I don't know how much combat there is though.
Look past the things you think you see. Move your head just a touch to the left- a glance in a world of perspectives- and then, you might see it: An entire universe in the corner of your eye.
Dana Cardinal.
You're - You are, your - belonging to you, youre - is not a word, yore - I dunnow
We become what we Behold:
We shape our tools, and then our tools shape us.
Char list: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7628