Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Historical Reference Materials: Videos and Audio

Lost and have questions? Want to offer suggestions on how we can improve the forum or have feedback in general? Wish to provide helpful information on educational topics such as medieval life? Post all that here. Also, if you notice any technical problems with the forum, please report them here.
RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Historical Reference Materials: Videos and Audio

Post by RabidFox » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:19 pm

I have always kept a long selection of carefully managed playlists for historical reference materials. This thread is a table of contents consisting of all of my historically relevant playlists in alphabetical order.

Note: Some of these playlists don't have much content, though, some of them have hundreds of videos, so don't be discouraged.

The Middle Ages

Medieval: Documentaries about Medieval Times
1000s-1400s in Music (James' Playlist)

18th Century

Loading and Firing Muskets, and 18th Century Battle
1700's: 18th Century Music (James' Playlist)

19th Century

1800's: 19th Century Films
1800's: 19th Century Music
1800's: 19th Century Music (James' Playlist)

20th Century

1900's Music
1910's Short Subjects
1920's: Documentaries about the 1920's
1920's Full-length Movies
1930's Music
1930's Short Subjects
1930's Television Programs
1940's Cartoons
1940's Music
1940's Short Subjects
1940's Television Commercials
1950's Cartoons
1950's Music
1950's Newsreels
1950's Radio Programs
1950's Short Subjects
1950's Television Commercials
1950's Television Programs
1960's Movie Trailers
1960's Music
1960's Short Subjects
1960's Television Commercials
1960's Television Programs
1970's Full-length Movies
1970's Movie Trailers
1970's Music
1970's Television Commercials
1970's Television Programs
1980's Movie Trailers
1980's Short Subjects
1980's Television Commercials
1980's Television Programs
1990's Movie Trailers
1990's Television Commercials
1990's Television Programs
Drive-in Movie Theater Intermission Films
General Phonograph Cylinder Players
General Vintage Propaganda Films
General Vintage Radio Programs
General Vintage Short Subjects
General Vintage Television Commercials
General Vintage Television Sets
Ragtime

21st Century

2000's Movie Trailers
2000's Music
2000's Television Commercials
2000's Television Programs
Last edited by RabidFox on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sponsor

Canis
Marquis
Species: Ursus Arctos

Post by Canis » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:05 pm

That's an impressive collection. By watching some vintage videos I felt like playing Bioshock again. Man, that was a game with style.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Re: Historical Reference Materials: Videos and Audio

Post by RabidFox » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:28 am

There are finally some resources for the Middle Ages.

Medieval: Documentaries about Medieval Times

Plus, I added a couple playlists on vintage cartoons.

Rainwhisker
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Post by Rainwhisker » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:43 am

Wooot!
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

JamesG
Inquisitor
Species: Ferret

Post by JamesG » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:42 pm

I noticed that your category of 19th century music was sorely lacking in pieces, so I put together a list of my 19th century favourites, if that's any help. I may do one for the 18th century as well, later. I'll update this if I think of any others that stand out.

1800s Music
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

JamesG
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:01 am

I have updated the list with Mahler's 1st Symphony and the Danse Macabre.
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:42 am

Yummy music. =D

I feel like watching Tom and Jerry to boot.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

JamesG
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:45 am

This is a shorter playlist of some Mediaeval pieces from the 11th-15th century, which I think are helpful to get a feel for the period in terms of music.

1000s-1400s in Music

I may add to it over time if I find other pieces that stand out.

I understand that the style of music may be quite different to people's normal preferences, but if you will listen to nothing else, try either version of 'Seigneurs, sachiez qui or ne s'en ira', by Thibault of Champagne, which is probably one of my favourites. Both sound quite dramatic and captivating to me, and not only that, but they were written by a noble that ended up not only royally antagonising at least four Kings of France, but also managed to become King of Navarre. :D

If that does not suit you, my second favourite would be Guillaume de Machaut's "Je vivroie liement/Liement me deport". I like the instrumentation very much in this one.

My Characters

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:43 am

These classic songs are <3

Thanks, James.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

JamesG
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:48 am

My pleasure. There is too much beautiful music that many people never hear. :D

My Characters

JamesG
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:32 am

The 1800s Music playlist has been updated with some Beethoven, Rossini, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Offenbach, Suppe, Strauss, Berlioz and Rachmaninoff. Technically, the Rachmaninoff was composed and first performed on December 2nd, 1900, which still counts as 19th century music. The piece premiered with 29 days of the 19th century to go. :D

Also, I have started a playlist for 18th century music, which would be an appropriate resource for our own Age of Muskets. It is not very long at the moment, so it shall be updated in future. 8)

1700s in Music

My Characters

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:52 pm

This is really cool, James. Thank you for putting these lists together. I will add them in a little while.

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:53 am

Wow. That's a lot of propaganda. O.o

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Atryx10
Cub
Species: Vrayijetfhiir
Sweden

Post by Atryx10 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:15 am

Vide game that'll be close to HEMA in combatstyle: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/430135984/mordhau
The species name, Vrayijetfhiir, is pronounced:

-Vr-aH_'Et -f_Iii-R
__r -j_____ H'
_r'_ Y_____ -ee
-W_ i'______j'y

Only, this is as good as I can show you, the pronounciation of the name. It's actually pronounced as a single word, not as some single letters here and there. But you hopefully get the gist of it's pronounciation.