Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

The Games of Nevin (Short Stories) (IN PROGRESS)

Post your own furry artwork and writings here. Non-furry themes are also allowed. Need writing or drawing help? You can find it in the Tutorials sub-forum, or you can post a tutorial yourself there. Role-playing advice can be found in the Tutorials sub-forum.
RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

The Games of Nevin (Short Stories) (IN PROGRESS)

Post by RabidFox » Tue May 16, 2017 3:16 pm

The Games of Nevin

The following short stories take place on a planet much like Earth. They occur during an era with both Victorian and modern elements. All characters are daemons: Humanoid people with pointy ears, fangs, claws, and commonly spiky hair. All of the stories tie together to form one single, interconnecting story.

Part of the Doctor Arturur series. The Games of Nevin is a side story. It is set three years before the events of the main series.

(IN PROGRESS)

Pronunciations

Daemon (DAY-MUHN)
Arturur (AR-CHUR-ER)
Yagrius (YAY-GREE-UHS)
Asterterkin (AHS-TER-TER-KIN)
Alysius (UH-LEE-SEE-UHS)
Sasawich (SAW-SUH-WICH)
Osgulliov (AWS-GUHL-LEE-UHV)
Rayon (RAY-AWN)

Complete List of Books in the Doctor Arturur Series

Sponsor

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Re: The Games of Nevin (Short Stories) (IN PROGRESS)

Post by RabidFox » Tue May 16, 2017 3:19 pm

The Pixie King

Nevin was roaming the streets of Gideon, a village in the ruling nation of Warren. Nevin had been spending a lot of time in Gideon when he normally spent most of his days in Sairenof, the capital of the country. Nevin was a noble and he had lived in Warren his entire life. Sheltered and hidden away from the rest of the world, the pink pixie was soft-hearted and spoiled. He rarely left Warren, and had little contact with anyone outside of his borders, especially peasants.

Nevin was very tall, had spiky pink hair and narrow blue eyes, and wore long, pink robes that only pixies of his particular head type could wear. Unlike flat-haired pixies, Nevin perfectly looked like an imp from hell. His face was long and his features were very playful and cruel looking. He was definitely not a man that you wanted as an enemy.

Despite that Nevin regularly visited the different villages in Warren, he wasn't always allowed. A mischievous young man, he was constantly getting into trouble and sometimes he was supposed to be being punished when the pixie would slip away unnoticed and hide in a neighbouring community. Nothing anyone ever tried worked, and Nevin never respected the rules. He loved to twist them to his own purposes, but he couldn't stand the idea of being truly controlled.

Gideon was a place he could escape to. Another village like Capricino would have been an awful destination, at least when he was in trouble. The people there were very strict and when they got angry, they got angry. Capricino was infamous for having men with very bad tempers. So infamous that even Nevin would avoid the place if necessary. That and it just wasn't any fun unless the pink pixie was pitting them against someone from a different village. People from Capricino couldn't stand the slightest argument in their direction. It was as if they could do no wrong.

Eventually, Nevin would be found. But, in the meantime, he could do as he wanted. Which wasn't much at the moment, as he was terribly bored. There seemed to be nothing for him to do that day, except the chaos that he had caused earlier. He knew that he would be given some kind of punishment, however, he didn't really care. Just so long as it wasn't too bad.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Tue May 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Cornered

The tricky, young nobleman was walking down the cobblestone road when he suddenly saw a vampire. He didn't look very happy either. The pixie stopped, taken by surprise. Then Nevin turned around and sped up until he found an alley and slipped inside. He started running, trying to disappear before the vampire realized that he was there. Soon, he was darting through a field, making his way towards the cover of the trees. Forest surrounded the little village, and he was just about to be safe until he saw another vampire waiting by the trees. In fact, there were several of them, and he noticed the others as they spotted him.

"Damn!" Cursed Nevin. He would have to try something else.

So he swerved and took off towards another part of the forest. But it didn't take long for the vampires to catch up with him.

"Nevin!" He heard one yell out. "Get over here!"

"Nevin!"

"Stop!"

"There he is!"

The pink pixie turned around, knowing that there was no escape. He frowned. He didn't want to go back to the castle so soon.

"Nevin!" The vampire slowed down to a halt, coming up close to him. "You are in so much trouble! You never listen! Now come on. This is enough. The mind games end here."

He took Nevin by the arm and lead him away. The pink pixie scoffed in disappointment.

"Oh, come on!" Said the pixie." You're blowing this all out of proportion."

"Really?" The vampire was sick of Nevin's attitude. "You just do whatever the hell you want and you think that everyone is making something out of nothing? I'm tired of arguing with you all the time, Nevin. And I don't feel like it right now either. Now we're taking you back to the castle and that's it. Your father can figure out what he wants to do with you."

The pink pixie glared at him. The vampire was tall and powerful looking. He had spiky, black hair and he was wearing all black. The others were dressed similarly. All of them were soldiers.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Wed May 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Restless

The pink pixie was in his bedroom in the castle. He was standing straight, his arms crossed over his chest. His eyes glared at nothing in particular, and he was very angry. His father, Lochlan, had already spoken to him, and it was nothing that he wanted to hear. You're in trouble, I'm sick of this, you're going to talk to your therapist, we need to try something new, blah, blah, blah... As far as Nevin was concerned, his father could go to hell with the vampires.

He raised an arm, eyes moving to his open palm. The pixie studied it, then made a fist. His eyes returned to their previous position.

"How am I supposed to have any fun if everyone just keeps spoiling it?" He growled, talking to himself. He was alone. "I should have went to Capricino and made them think that Father was after them again. That would teach him and those damn vampires to leave me alone."

The young nobleman looked around his room. He was trying to plan something, anything... to just find some way to escape at his next soonest opportunity. This was what Nevin was like. This was why everyone was so worried about him. He just kept thinking of ways to avoid other people's control. No one could get him to listen. No one could get him to calm down. No one could help him. It wasn't that Nevin was completely out of control and a danger to himself. It was just that every person had to fit into a community and the pink pixie was always rebelling against everyone as much as possible. Yet it was without creating a serious threat to himself.

Nevin was overwhelmed. After all the trouble that he had caused that day, he only wanted to be left alone. He had hot feet, and he greatly desired to be off somewhere else indulging his own hyperactive emotions. Anywhere was better than the castle right then. But alas it was a wasted effort. The soldiers had closed off the hallways that lead to the outside. All the exits were locked. Nevin would have to find some other way to entertain himself.

He walked over to his art desk and sat down. It was large, long, and made of sturdy, dark wood with a beautiful finish. On the desk there was a comic book that he had been making. He opened it up to the next blank page. It was already bound and all he had to do was fill in prepared squares and rectangles.

The pixie glared at the page as if it was one of the vampires. He growled, touching the paper with the tip of his quill and drew an image of himself. The image was grinning and he looked like he would never stop.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Thu May 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Stubborn

In the room, there was a desk and two chairs. One chair behind the desk and one on the other side. Nevin was seated in front and a white pixie was seated behind. Syrus, a much older man and renowned for his powerful ability of self-control, was looking down at the desk top. His hands were folded on the wooden surface and he appeared to be deep in thought.

Suddenly, he spoke, throwing Nevin off guard. The pink pixie jerked in surprise.

"Time passes and you get more and more defiant..." He started, calmly. "When does it end, Nevin?"

"I have no idea." Replied the young nobleman, honestly.

"How do you expect to be a good, solid leader if you're constantly getting into trouble?" Questioned Syrus, already feeling defeated.

"I think that I am a good leader now." Answered Nevin, only mildly irritated by the whole thing.

Syrus took a moment. "You are always bending the rules, and you just laugh and say that you've done nothing wrong." His eyes met Nevin's. "But the reason there are rules is because they are not meant to serve as jokes. You are not fooling anybody. You are not getting more and more powerful. Do you understand?"

"No." And he didn't.

"You say that all the time. It's always 'No'." Replied the white pixie, trying to be patient. "Don't you think that you need to finally start saying 'Yes'?"

"But I don't understand." Insisted Nevin, simply.

"The world is full of things that I never see you take." Continued Syrus, sadly. "I would think that a man of your creative and ingenious nature would take great pride and happiness in so many ways that you always ignore and dismiss.

"I have seen you age over the years, and it just amazes me. It's baffling how such a good psychologist, teacher, and mathematician can pass up endless opportunities to expand upon their career. But you do it, Nevin. You do it effortlessly. You make me wonder what we did wrong when you were younger. Why did we fail? Why is raising you so hard?

"It's just a puzzle to me, Nevin. I can't stand it. I don't want to watch you act like this any more."

"You say all of those things as if I've done something reproachful." Interrupted the pink pixie.

"And you haven't?" Syrus raised a brow, his voice expressing surprise. "You're doing everything right and getting all good grades and you never take advantage of psychology to play pranks on people?"

"There's nothing wrong with a bit of fun." Nevin was starting to become annoyed.

"We're not talking about a bit of fun." Said the doctor. "This is not a bit of fun. You are continuously angering everyone around you as if doing so doesn't matter. You have your co-workers coming up to me demanding for you to be fired. Do you want to be fired?"

"No..." Nevin trailed off into silence, finally feeling a little shame.

"You act like you're Arturur." Commented Syrus, a smile almost forming on his face. "Now if this was the Prince doing all of this, what do you think that I would say...? Absolutely nothing. You are a strong, capable man. Diego's son is a frail, weak little boy and doesn't have all of the spite and unbridled rage that you have. A toddler playing mind games with me would never matter. But you do not have the mind of a small child. There's a big man in that silly head of yours." He looked down then.

"It's a shame that Arturur still lives in Wendell. But that's no excuse for not understanding something so fundamental and basic." Syrus turned away. "Nevin... you know... it really doesn't matter, it really doesn't. I know that you're not doing anything horrible. Even I find a lot of it funny and I always will find your mind games absolutely hilarious." Then he turned back to face him. "However, there is a time for play and there is a time for seriousness. And you need to learn where the line is. I know you can't see it. I know. But that's why I want to help you. I want to help you see how you're doing things wrong and I want to help you grow up."

"You are making me angry." Admitted Nevin, glaring at the doctor.

Syrus didn't say anything for a moment. "I don't want to make you angry. I really don't. I just want you to be happy. Fixing your problems is part of that."

Nevin became silent, but it was easy to see that he was very upset. Syrus looked unhappy as well.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:47 pm

One Man's World

Nevin was a very intelligent man. He was quirky and spontaneous, but he always found time to focus on what really mattered. He was clever and crafty and could think of all the right things to say. He was perfect, simplistic, and complicated all in one. People looked up to him. People wanted to be able to do the amazing things that he was capable of. Yet there were many features of his personality that others just wanted to control rather than mimic. Nevin couldn't understand all of his issues. He knew far more than he needed to in order to follow the rules, and then he knew so little when it came to not changing them to fit his own purposes.

His father did not know how to alter his behaviour. No one knew how to force him to do what was required and not to do what was not allowed. Therefore there was this little spot in his mind that was untouched. It was a wild little thing, a totally out of control part of him. While it didn't matter to the point of a major problem, everyone had areas that they needed to work on. And this was what Nevin needed to work on. This was what Nevin needed to do.

Could someone just talk to him? No. Could someone just sit him down and get him to focus on it? No. Could someone show him every bit of truth and get him to see it? No.

No, no, and no.

This particular pink pixie was not an easy puzzle to solve. He had been like this ever since he was little. While there used to be hope that his issues would eventually go away and he would grow out of them, that had been many, many years ago. Nevin was an adult now. He was not a little kid running around and getting into trouble. He was old enough to reason and rationalize and reflect. But how did you get him to think how you wanted? It seemed to be impossible.

And he claimed that he didn't like "dog biscuits". In reality, he actually found rewards to be very encouraging. However, you could never get him to admit it. People knew that about him. It was obvious. Yet if you talked to Nevin, he didn't appear to understand that about others. And he really didn't. It was information to him that was still new. It was starting to finally sink in, but that was all.

Nevin was such a good man. He was very caring and compassionate and really loved people. It was a shame that he couldn't communicate better with those around him. He wanted to, he felt a deep need to connect to a higher level. If only someone could figure out the Rubik's Cube that was his mind. Everyone knew that what he really wanted was to be more like everyone else. They wanted to give that to him. It would have been so wonderful for Nevin and so wonderful for all the people in his life. But they didn't know how and it bothered them. Nevin needed to succeed in ways that he consciously thought he didn't. They were trying their hardest to get him to see that what they wanted was the same as what he wanted, and that he just had this block in his head that was preventing him from seeing that.

Those final steps so close. He was almost totally out in the open. Just one last big jump in people's understanding of his mind. That last puzzle. And it was such a big one.

Syrus was certain that he could learn the remaining vital chunks of information that was needed. He had been working very hard and very long, and—Despite not having much support—his research was greatly respected by his peers. An extremely good doctor, Syrus was widely known as a genius. Even Nevin had a lot of faith in him. The pink pixie knew in his heart that Syrus only wanted the best for him. Still, it was hard. Believing in someone that held such completely different opinions on such highly important topics. Nevin was beginning to see the error of his ways, but that did not mean that he shared Syrus' insight. Perhaps all Nevin needed was one last good push in the right direction.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:51 pm

A Puzzle to be Undone

The young psychologist, teacher, and mathematician was notorious for his mind games. Nevin would do almost anything to make a joke. He was harmless, he never really did anything wrong, but he was always getting into trouble. In fact, one of his favourite things to do was to play everything by the book. Then, when people were least expecting it, he would come up with a surprising twist and unleash a torrent of absurdity into his surroundings.

Nevin wasn't necessarily trying to make someone laugh. He wasn't necessarily trying to make himself laugh. But he was always trying to have fun. And people loved it, they did. And then they also hated it—Which was really too strong of a word. They "hated" it in a way that was irresistible. Like people flocking to horror films to get a scare, Nevin was constantly the centre of attention, and there was nothing truly bad about that. However, his antics were still inviting frequent bursts of playful revenge.

One particular thing that would get on the nerves of flat-haired pink pixies—Most of whom worked the desks at the Yellow Building—was Nevin's infatuation with cards. He would write condescending little comments on little pieces of paper and he would place them on their work desks along with various different playing cards. Some of the cards were like ratings, some of them like comments themselves. And then so on and so forth to a staggering amount of creativity. It caused a lot of chaos in the office.

Yet nothing like that could explain just what lengths Nevin would go to in order to have fun. It didn't matter how many pranks could be listed, it didn't matter how much trouble could be counted, you had to know Nevin to really understand him. You had to really just know him. Every single day, in and out of the rooms of the Yellow Building—The headquarters of psychology—the young pink pixie would make his rounds, both good and bad, and time simply marched on. People had gotten used to what they couldn't stand and people had learned how to ignore what irritated them the most.

Recently, the young nobleman had stirred up quite the chaos. It was far more silliness than he usually involved himself in. And he had ran off, hiding in Gideon, tracked down by vampires, and relinquished to his father's mercy. Nevin thought nothing of any of it.

And then he stepped right back into the cycle.

Syrus finally decided to latch onto the cause and not let go. It was the first time that he felt confident enough to dig his heels into the ground. He was determined to win this battle with Nevin. Nothing was going to change his course. Bravely and with a plan, Syrus released his brilliance into full force. Soon, Nevin's mind would be his.

The pink pixie found this to be funny. Already, Syrus was letting him know just where he stood. A bold move, one that others would not have made, but things had already been set into motion. The doctor began to knit his web of psychology.