Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Arturur and Abner (Novelette) (FINISHED)

Post your own furry artwork and writings here. Non-furry themes are also allowed. Need writing or drawing help? You can find it in the Tutorials sub-forum, or you can post a tutorial yourself there. Role-playing advice can be found in the Tutorials sub-forum.
RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Arturur and Abner (Novelette) (FINISHED)

Post by RabidFox » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:29 pm

Arturur and Abner

This is a novelette told in a series of short stories that take place on a planet much like Earth. It occurs during an era with both Victorian and modern elements. All characters are daemons: Humanoid people with pointy ears, fangs, claws, and commonly spiky hair. All of the stories tie together to form one single, interconnecting story.

(FINISHED)

Pronunciations

Daemon (DAY-MUHN)
Arturur (AR-CHUR-ER)
Yagrius (YAY-GREE-UHS)
Asterterkin (AHS-TER-TER-KIN)
Alysius (UH-LEE-SEE-UHS)

Previous in the Series

Arturur and Angel

Next in the Series

Arturur's Challenge

Complete List of Books in the Doctor Arturur Series

Sponsor

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Re: Arturur and Abner (Short Stories)

Post by RabidFox » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Waking Up

"Arturur? Arturur?"

There was the sound of a voice. Then two voices.

"Hey there! Pixie kid! Wake up!"

And then a third.

"Hey brat! Wake up already! Arturur? What happened to you?"

Arturur's eyes slowly opened. Immediately, he noticed that he was laying down in a bed. He turned his head to the side, seeing three people standing next to him. It was Abner, Granpa Pooky, and Igor.

"Angel?" Said Arturur, the name barely coming from his lips.

"I thought you would never wake up." Abner's voice was heavy with sorrow.

"You sure did give us a scare." Granpa Pooky alike was concerned.

"What happened? Do you remember?" Asked Igor, expressing worry.

But Arturur was very tired and wasn't sure what to say. After a little silence, "The last thing I remember was walking down a hallway in the castle."

"Did someone hit you over the head?" Wondered Abner. "The doctor didn't notice any blood, but I thought that maybe you just got bruised."

"No, no one hit me." Arturur sounded far away.

"That's enough, Abner." Granpa Pooky snapped. "Don't go scaring him like that. No one would do that to him."

"I might." Igor smiled. "You've been out for a long time."

Granpa Pooky gave Igor a look and then just let it fly over his head. His eyes now on Arturur, they betrayed great emotion.

"I'm going to get the doctor." Announced the pink pixie. "I'll be back shortly. And you. Take it easy, Arturur. You're not allowed to get up."

"Well, that doesn't sound like any fun." Arturur was clearly weak.

Granpa Pooky turned and left, hurrying away.

"This is your grandfather's house." Explained Abner. "You're in your bedroom."

Arturur slowly looked around. "I see."

"Do you remember why you collapsed?" Abner tried again.

Arturur was silent for a moment. "No... I don't... All I can remember... is that I was thinking... of my father. And my mother."

"Were you dizzy?" Prodded the other white pixie.

"Right before I fell. Yes." Answered the Prince.

"Had you been running?" He wondered.

"No. I wasn't running. I was just... walking around. Thinking." Replied Arturur.

"What were you thinking about?" Asked Igor, curiously.

"I told you. My father and my mother." Said Arturur.

"Yeah, I know that." Started Igor. "I meant... were you thinking of anything else?"

"No. Just my father and my mother." Arturur's mind was scattered.

"What specifically about?" Igor was trying to determine why he had lost consciousness.

But Arturur made an angry face. "It doesn't matter."

"Well, of course it does." Insisted Igor.

"No. It doesn't." Arturur didn't want to get into it.

Igor was quiet for a minute. "I think you're getting overwhelmed with all this newness. That's probably why you fell. It's just been too much on you. Too much stress. You need to rest for a while."

Arturur didn't reply this time.

"You know, I was really worried about you." Said Abner.

"You don't even know me." Arturur felt uncomfortable.

"You're the Prince." Explained Abner. "You're Diego's son. You're nobility. You might as well be family."

"But I've never met you before." Arturur wasn't the best when it came to his own emotions.

Abner gave him a look. "I don't believe you." Then he smiled. "Nobility always cares for nobility. And your subjects worship you."

"The ruling class sticks together." Added Igor. "We're all one family here. It's not like it was in peasant town."

"Yes, the ruling class prides itself in its clannishness." Said Abner.

Arturur gave them his own look and then just decided to rest. He was exhausted.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:37 pm

Determination

"And you think he'll be just fine, is that it?!" Davin was extremely angry.

"He has been going through a tough time." Explained Basil, carefully. "There is nothing that you can do for him. Even if there was, I'm not having you around him. I cannot even stand the look of you."

Davin was beyond discussing it. "You think you can just bust into our lives and start changing everything? I am his uncle! I am the only person that he has in this entire world other than Craig, Asterterkin, and Yagrius!"

"I thought Yagrius was taken away?" Questioned Basil, narrowing his eyes in suspicion.

"Taken away?" Davin wasn't sure what he meant. "Well, Yagrius has always lived with him."

"Arturur told us that he no longer knew Yagrius." Replied Basil. "He said that Yagrius was too irrational to be around him."

Davin said nothing for a moment. "Arturur has trouble with Yagrius. But he still lives with him. Or he did... Yagrius isn't irrational, though. His ideas just creep out Arturur."

"Sounded crazy to me." Basil's eyebrows went up. "How can he not be irrational? The man is crazy!"

"No, Yagrius is just a stupid kid that thinks he knows everything." Davin had calmed down. For the moment. "Arturur probably just said that because he doesn't know how to explain his problems. Yagrius is very strange, he is."

"Yagrius isn't related to him." Basil was still confused, except now it was Davin that was confusing him. "Surely, you're not discounting all the other people from Warren?"

"They have their own opinions." Davin was being a little mysterious.

"Who cares?" Basil shook his head from side to side, disgusted. "So you're saying that Yagrius agrees with your stupid point of view?"

"No, he doesn't." Davin was quick to intervene. "He doesn't agree with me and Asterterkin at all. He's just... He has sympathy for my plight." And then Davin went back to being angry. "The others don't."

"You think that someone can't have a deep, meaningful relationship with your nephew unless they have your ideas?" Basil couldn't stand him as it was.

"No, I do not mean it that way, you stupid jerk." Davin's voice was overflowing with hatred. "But that doesn't mean that I want Arturur to feel persecuted."

"Arturur is very little in his thinking." Basil had no room for Davin's excuses. "It is impossible for him to see things your way."

"And why is that?" Davin wondered, sarcastically. "Because I am evil? Because there's something wrong with me? Because I have good taste? I suppose if I ever walked into your hospital, you'd pull the plug and let me die. Really? You think I don't know what you want? You think that you can get away with your silly little nonsense and I won't care? Well, that's not happening."

"Davin..." Started Basil. "You will never win."

Davin stared at him. And stared. And stared.

"We'll just see about that." He said.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:17 pm

The Plot

Davin and Asterterkin were at the castle. They had been living there since the move from the little fishing village. However, they had not been allowed around Arturur. It was grating on their nerves. They couldn't stand it. The idea that their nephew was without anyone that he knew was too much for them.

The pair was sitting in one of the rooms, alone.

"These people are the hypocrites I always thought they would be." Growled Davin. "He's sick. He fell. He even lost touch with the outside world. And they won't let us around him at all! Hell, he could be dying and they wouldn't even permit us through the door!"

"Yes, I know..." Said Asterterkin, in a distant voice. "That's how it has been... I wonder how long they will keep us away?"

"Forever if they had the choice!" Davin was so upset.

"There must be some way that we can convince them to let us back in the picture." Suggested Asterterkin, as if in a trance.

"But how?!" Exclaimed Davin, not seeing a way.

"The only weapon we have is our wits." Explained Asterterkin. "We'll have to talk our way through this."

"We don't know what to say or we'd already be in there!" Davin didn't understand.

"We can do it..." Started Asterterkin, calmly rolling the idea around in his head. "We just have to treat this like a debate. Like at school against the professors... We're both highly skilled teachers. There must be something that we can conjure up."

"You're a priest." Said Davin, his eyes on Asterterkin.

"Yes, but I am still a teacher as well." Astererkin's gaze, however, was somewhere else.

"I just don't think you have what it takes." Davin felt lost. "Your method is too... 'righteous'." And that made him smile and make a little laugh.

Asterterkin's concentration was broken for a moment, and he gave Davin a look, as if reproaching him.

"We can come up with something together." Decided Asterterkin. "But we have to figure out something quick for Arturur's sake."

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:46 pm

Pandora's Box

"I have an idea." Announced Asterterkin. Davin and him were alone again at the castle. "It will definitely get us in the door. And then after that, we may have to continue to plan."

"What is it?" Davin asked, excitedly.

Asterterkin grinned, pleased with himself. "Igor."

"Igor?" Davin was puzzled. "What do you mean by that?"

"Igor is insane." Explained Asterterkin. "And he's around him... What if... Arturur were to become afraid of him? You know, he's one of us... There must be something we can do to make Igor appear like he's having an episode. Then, because no one here has met Arturur for more than five minutes, they will have to let us back into his life. He's familiar with us. He'll trust us. We'll comfort him about Igor's sudden episode and no one will say a word."

Davin thought about that for a moment. "That's actually a pretty good idea!" He was overjoyed.

"Now we need to get our hands on Igor's records. We need to make this look authentic." Continued Asterterkin. "We don't have to actually be around Igor. We just need to get into his room somehow."

"What about the magical eyes?" Davin was referring to a highly advanced security system with cameras.

"The Old Ones don't use it for the most part." Assured Asterterkin, unperturbed. "They see it as invasive. Even for this."

"Yeah, I suppose you're right." Agreed Davin, becoming relaxed.

"We'll have to use Arturur's forbidden knowledge." Asterterkin was still plotting.

"You mean 'grass'?!" Exclaimed Davin, worried about such a tactic. "But... that is major if we get caught."

Asterterkin didn't miss a beat, immediately dismissing Davin's fears. "It won't matter regardless. We usually get off with such things. And these people barely know us. They're not going to want to kick up dirt."

"Are you sure?" But Davin was still not completely convinced.

"Positive." Reassured Asterterkin. "We have all of the advantages. We've had an education from a headmaster, and you know how powerful Arturur's psychology can be. We can't fail as long as we don't mention certain things."

"Yes, they still don't understand the extent of Arturur's power." Added Davin, calming down.

"From what I've heard about Igor, he appears to have an obsession with terrifying images of dragons." Explained Asterterkin. "Arturur has studied everything imaginable. We'll get some of Igor's artwork and put it into a pattern that only a headmaster could recognize as faked."

"And after that?" Asked Davin, curiously.

"We'll continue to discredit Igor if necessary." Said Asterterkin. "All we need to do at first is just get in the door. Arturur will notice Igor's absence and inquire to what has happened to him. That or they will tell him themselves. They don't understand Arturur's extreme fears of irrationality. He'll start to panic and then they will have no choice but to allow us near him. They will use us as desensitisation psychology."

"Great plan!" Davin approved.

"Let's get started." Asterterkin rubbed his hands together. "We need to get a hold of Igor's records."

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:04 pm

Framing Igor

Asterterkin and Davin had managed to get their hands on Igor's records. It was easy for them. No one knew what they were planning and their stated reasons seemed harmless enough. Now it was time for the pair to analyse what they could and put together a convincing string of evidence.

"It says here that Igor hates yellow." Davin was confused. "How can someone hate an entire colour? Maybe a shade... but yellow in its entirety?"

"Well, he's crazy, remember?" That explanation was good enough for Asterterkin.

"Still, I've never heard of it." Said Davin, who was reading one of Igor's papers. "Oh, look at this... Igor is afraid of cabbits."

"Cabbits?" Asterterkin made a strange face. "How does that make any sense?"

Davin continued reading. "Apparently, they make him think of carrots and he believes that carrots are the source of special powers wielded by Ishimi."

Asterterkin scoffed. "Ishimi. I can't stand him and I don't even know him."

"I wouldn't want to get on Ishimi's bad side." Commented Davin, before returning to his research. "I think that a carrot would actually be a great addition to our original plan. How about including images of carrots and maybe one image of a cabbit?"

"That sounds so weird." Replied Asterterkin. "Good idea, though."

Davin grinned. "Now let's see here... What else would make him look legitimately crazy?"

"Try to find things that last, Davin." Warned Asterterkin. "We want to keep Igor at bay as long as possible. It will be very easy for him to see past our plan. We don't want him returning before they have built trust in us."

"Yeah, I know. I am." Assured Davin. "How about different coloured kick balls? He has some really odd beliefs when it comes to the science of spheres. That and he is apparently very interested in basics and advanced concepts about the sun and the moon, including just plain balls. He's really weird, I think."

Asterterkin smiled, thinking about what Davin just said and how hypocritical it was. "I find you far stranger." He laughed.

Davin made an angry expression and then just let it go. "How about a solar system?" He suggested. "With ivory figures of mythical Gods and Goddesses? Something that would make him think of water."

"Water?" Asked Asterterkin.

"Yeah, he's really into fire and I think that it would look like extreming out." Explained Davin. "Everyone is on edge because Arturur just arrived. People are acting very strangely as it is. Everyone is being pushed to the greatest examples of their personalities, as well as acts that are the most unlike them."

"That might add an aura of innocence to it." Considered Asterterkin, carefully. "It could give the appearance of rooting through old toys."

"That's what I was thinking." Confirmed Davin, glad to hear approval of his idea.

"I think, personally, that a dash of dice and cards would work." Said Asterterkin. "Everyone tosses them around in times like these."

"No, I wouldn't do that." But Davin did not agree. "That would be too common. Igor is definitely strange, and I don't think that he would actually do that, common behaviour or not. That's why Arturur is so confused about him. Igor is most certainly a unique kind of person. The Prince doesn't make mistakes like that.

"If only they knew how hard they were pushing him. They are trying to climb a ladder that really is just for him."

"We'll focus on that later." Interuppted Asterterkin. "Right now we need to simply figure out how to get near him."

"What about the colour green?" Said Davin, suddenly. "That's Arturur's favourite colour. I think it's easy enough for people to believe that Igor would extreme out in green. He can't stand Arturur and I know that would always be one of the first things that Arturur would tell a person."

"Not nessecarily." Asterterkin wasn't sure. "What if Igor doesn't know that?"

"Oh come on." Said Davin, already tired of the matter. "Arturur could have told him at any time for all they know. And Igor is going to deny everything anyway."

"Yes, but the more things he has to deny, the more it will look like a setup." Explained Asterterkin.

Davin supposed he did have a point afterall. "I guess you're right."

"Now how can we do this as solidly as possible?" Astererkin started to rub his chin.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:26 pm

Only a Headmaster

"Arturur." Abner had just sat down by his bed. "I have some strange news."

"Yes?" Inquired Arturur.

"It's about Igor." Started Abner. "Apparently, he's flipped his lid."

"What do you mean?" Wondered Arturur.

"I'm not sure what happened, but Basil told me that Igor exploded... or something." Explained Abner, though, there wasn't much to explain.

"Do you have any details?" Arturur wasn't sure how to take that.

"No, not really." Said Abner. "Just something about scary dragons. Igor is very into frightening things about dragons. That and something about a cabbit."

"A cabbit?" That made Arturur immediately suspicious.

"Yeah... I don't know what, though." Answered Abner.

Arturur was silent for a few minutes, thinking over what he had been told.

"That doesn't sound right." He said, finally. "There's something wrong here... Igor isn't thinking in the right way for this. This doesn't sound like fundamental extreming out."

"What do you mean?" Abner didn't get it.

"I'm an expert on emergency situations and extreming out psychology." Explained Arturur, mind somewhere else. "Igor's personality and face type don't fit with a cabbit. Especially not after so little time has passed. There hasn't been enough time for Igor to think of this."

"What are you saying?" Abner was still lost.

"This sounds like... Asterterkin and Davin." And then it was made clear that the pattern was already exposed. Just as the uncles had feared.

But then Arturur was very ill, confused, and, most of all, not a familiar face. The uncles had suspected as much, however, there were so many reasons why no one would pay attention to what Arturur had to say. Many, many reasons.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Looking for Answers

"Why can't I be around Igor?" Arturur wasn't fooled for a moment.

"It just cannot be." Basil tried to explain. "He's too sick right now. Soon... soon. After a while, he'll recover and there's no reason that you can't be around him again. He's just... having a hard time right now."

Arturur, Abner, and Basil were in the cafeteria, talking at one of the circular tables. It was dinner time and the cafeteria was full of employees.

"Tell me about what you found." Arturur had already attempted this.

"I told you, it's better if you don't know." Asserted Basil.

"I will not be deterred." Said Arturur, determined. "You might as well give in now, otherwise I'm just going to continue to argue with you about it."

Basil sighed, giving Arturur a long look. "Fine." He caved. "There was a presentation of pictures and objects that Igor designed and placed in his room. It's things that he normally wouldn't express unless he was having a hard time. Crazy stuff, Arturur. I'm sure you can imagine... Terrible things. Things that would frighten a normal person that was not already familiar with it. Or you."

"Me?" Arturur laughed. "Igor's kind is not new to me. Don't you know that?"

"Yes, I do. Of course." Replied Basil, trying to keep things calm and easy. "But you've never been around someone as crazy as Igor."

Arturur raised his eyebrows. "That is not true." He stated, simply. "Davin and Asterterkin are the craziest people in the kingdom."

Basil made a suspicious face. "What do you mean?" His tone betrayed a deep, heated interest.

"It was supposed to be revealed in a gentle way or when I got tired of it being a secret." Explained Arturur, in his ever flat way. "Davin and Asterterkin are beyond help. Their cases have so far been totally incurable for the most part. We were only capable of bringing down the very worst of it."

"I see..." Basil trailed off. And then he suddenly got up from his chair. "I have somewhere I need to go. Excuse me, children."

Abner's eyes followed Basil as he walked away. Arturur, on the other hand, held his gaze where it was. Then Abner hastily turned around to face Arturur.

"I didn't know that!" Exclaimed Abner, excited. "What are they like?"

Arturur was silent for a moment. "Like yo-yo's."

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Bad Dreams

"There's nothing to be afraid of."

Arturur woke with a start, breathing heavily. He shot straight up in bed.

Luckily, Abner was close by and noticed his distress. Abner had been passing the time by watching a television that had been placed near Arturur's bed. The other white pixie had been very worried about him and had insisted on keeping an eye on him himself.

"Arturur?" Abner's concern could be heard in his voice. He got up and walked closer to him. "It's okay, Arturur. It was just a nightmare. You're awake now."

"A nightmare?" Arturur could barely get the words out. He sighed, relieved. "I was so scared."

"What was your dream about?" Asked Abner, hoping to help.

Arturur didn't answer for a moment, then, "Blood... Lots of... blood."

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:12 pm

Pushed to the Limit

"I can't tell you!" Yelled Arturur, stomping away from Abner.

"I don't understand." Abner was flabbergasted. "Why can't you answer one little question?"

"You keep bothering me about it! That's why." Exclaimed Arturur, angrily.

"All I wanted to know was what your dream was about." Explained Abner. "Basil told me that I have to keep an eye on you and part of that is analysing you."

"Why is everyone so obsessed with knowing everything about me?!" Arturur fumed.

"We just want to help you." Said Abner, trying to calm him down.

"But I told you once, then twice, then again and again." He replied, pointing at Abner. "It's none of your business."

"I know you don't understand this, Arturur, but you are..." Abner hesitated. "Very, very ill. We're supposed to be studying everything about you. Don't you understand? You're... consumed. Consumed with... a very horrible, terrible illness.

"Look. I'll just let it go. I'm sorry... I shouldn't have pushed you so hard." And so Abner gave up.

"Good." Arturur began to calm down. "Now don't ask me again."

"I won't. I promise." Abner didn't want Arturur to look at him like an enemy.

Arturur stood there for a moment, saying nothing. He simply watched Abner who watched him.

"You'll find out soon enough." Warned Arturur. "Then you'll wish that you never knew."

Abner didn't understand what he was talking about at all. But he kept his mouth shut anyway.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:20 pm

A Difficult Task

Arturur and Abner were standing together, alone.

"I..." Started Arturur, afraid of what he had to say. "I'm going to... tell you something... It's very hard for me, but... someone must know. And I don't want to set off someone like Granpa Pooky. You... don't intimidate me, and I doubt anyone would take you seriously. Your psychological field is very low."

"What is it, Arturur?" Abner was worried. Arturur had been acting very strange.

"Can you keep a secret?" Asked Arturur, hopefully.

"To be honest with you, Arturur, the answer is no." Replied Abner, not wanting to lie to him.

"Well, I guess it doesn't matter anyway." Said Arturur, looking away for a moment. "I'll tell you."

Abner had no idea what he was going to say, though, whatever it was must be important. The other white pixie waited in excitement. And then worry as well.

"Davin is..." Arturur had a hard time getting it out. "Davin... is... a very strange man with very strange ideas. I don't know how to begin. He's... obsessed with the colour red..." Arturur's eyes were on Abner, carefully watching his every reaction. "He... He..." He didn't know if he could say it. "He's a very mean person. He's not like most people. He has a deep hatred of people even. He always feels persecuted. Because he's insane." Arturur tapped his head with a finger. "He's paranoid... He is obsessed with the concept of life and death. He entertains his mind by playing with some very disturbing ideas."

Abner waited for Arturur to continue, but he did not. "Are you afraid of your uncle? Of Davin?"

Arturur looked away again, then, his eyes back on Abner, "Yes. Yes, I am."

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:20 pm

The Truth

"Abner." Started Arturur, in a serious manner. They were in Arturur's office. "Nothing's wrong with Igor."

"What are you talking about?" Abner was clueless.

"Asterterkin and Davin must have taken Igor's records and set up whatever that display is." Explained Arturur, unsure of how Abner would react.

"Why in the world would you say something like that?" Abner was flabbergasted.

"You don't understand the way they think." Continued Arturur, solemnly. "They are... beyond understanding. You have to live with them, grow up with them, to really see them as they are."

"Why would they do that to Igor?" Abner didn't believe him.

"They talked about such tactics all their lives." He tried. "I'm not surprised at all."

"What tactics?" But Abner was not getting it.

"They want to get to me. They're not interested in Igor." Said Arturur, already feeling frustrated. "They're just using him to try to access what they really want. See, they're not allowed around me. And it's for a good reason. But the people of Warren still do not know the whole story. And I'm afraid it's difficult to believe as well."

"I'm not following you." Abner's expression was unreadable.

"They're crazy, Abner." Replied Arturur. "They're completely crazy. They don't understand why they can't be with me. They don't have the ability to see wrong in what they do and in what they think.

"They're mean, hateful people that feel like everyone is against them. Igor included. They don't even trust like-minded people. They feel like it's them against everyone else. Except for me and Yagrius. They see untapped allies in us.

"But I don't think like them at all. Neither does Yagrius. They can't fathom things like that, though. They refuse to even begin to think it."

"What does this have to do with Igor?" Abner's body language was lost on Arturur.

"They're trying to use him as an excuse to be with me." Said Arturur. "If they can make him look crazy, they can try to convince people that I need them around me. For desensitisation.

"The problem is that they have a real point. I know you don't know this about me, but I'm very afraid of irrationality. If Igor was to really let loose, I can't be around him. And I don't know if something like this would trigger a problem. A big problem, I mean."

"Are you afraid of Igor?" Wondered Abner, innocently.

"Not for the time being." Admitted Arturur, honestly. "But I can be. He is pretty violent anyway. It probably would have happened sooner or later. But it happening right now... Well, that just gives Asterterkin and Davin an opportunity."

"Why would they have Igor's files?" Asked Abner, seeming doubtful.

"Instead of asking me that, try Basil." Said Arturur.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:51 pm

Frozen Stiff

"If you want me to believe you, then you're going to have to give me an example." Demanded Abner, sternly. "Tell me. What is wrong with them? Or rather... tell me what it is that's bothering you so much."

But Arturur did not feel ready. "Why do you need to know that? Why not just take my word for it?"

"Because I don't believe you. That is, I don't believe that this is as serious as you claim." Explained Abner. "You are a jumpy person. You're very sensitive." Arturur gave him a look at that. "You honestly freak out over everything."

"You have not known me that long." Interjected Arturur, glaring at Abner.

"No, I haven't." Said Abner. "But that doesn't mean that you were dropped off here without any explanation what-so-ever. Your foster family told us as much."

Arturur felt cornered. He was silent for a minute. Then he closed his eyes, willing his heart to stop beating so fast. And then... he opened them.

"I hate the tool shop..." Said Arturur, as flatly as he could manage. "I hate science."

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:49 pm

The Secret

Arturur was sitting on his bed while Abner stood before him.

"What do you mean by a tool shop?" Asked Abner, slowly and quietly. He had innocently tilted his head.

But Arturur was a person. He wasn't a book. Books, you can turn their pages at will. People, however... have hearts.

There was silence. It kept on and on.

"Arturur?" Abner said, softly.

There was still no answer, then, "When I was little, Davin took me aside and told me that he had something he wanted to show me. Something I needed to see. He took me into a room and he showed me something horrifying. But, you know... there's many ways one can use the word horrifying. If it were truly the only thing that I needed to say, you'd already know. You'd scream.

"But that's my problem. I can't just tell you what happened. Or what continued to happen. I'm lost... I'm scared... I'm lonely."

His voice sounded faint and hopeless. His eyes stared off into space.

"What are you trying to tell me?" Abner pried, gently.

"He would be angry with me. He would be... angry with me. What happens the next time that I see him? What if all my choking caused a problem? How would I get away from something so out of control?"

"Arturur... I don't understand." Started Abner. "Can you be... more open? No one is going to hurt you. You can tell me anything... In fact, I won't even say a word of it to anyone. How's that?"

"Yes, you would." But Arturur felt certain.

"I can keep this secret. You can tell the others when you're ready." Reassured Abner.

"You don't understand, Abner." Arturur was overcome with helplessness.

"Does the tool shop have something to do with... the colour red?" He tried.

Arturur didn't say anything and then he grabbed his head, growling through his teeth. A moment passed and then another one and another one and...

"Does it have to do with your... nightmare?" Tried Abner.

Arturur held his face in his hands. And he didn't say another word.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:31 pm

The Counter Attack

"I tried to tell them that Davin and Asterterkin may have done something, but they don't believe me at all." Said Abner, walking up to Arturur. His nerves were frayed.

"I didn't think they would." Replied Arturur, honestly.

"So you're sure of this?" Asked Abner, still feeling doubtful. "They really would go to such lengths?"

"Of course." Assured Arturur, solemnly. "There's nothing they would not do."

"I see..." Abner felt cornered, overwhelmed by the chance that Arturur was right. "Then how are we going to get them to believe us?"

"That doesn't necessarily matter." Said Arturur, already working on a plan. "As long as we can get Igor out of harm's way, that is enough for me. For now."

"But how could we do that?" Abner didn't see a way.

"We're both psychologists." Explained Arturur, undaunted. "We can think of something. That's the way they're thinking afterall. If they can plot, then we can come up with a solution."

"I don't see how." Said Abner, growing afraid. "I've never studied anything like this before. It scares me. It scares me that two crazy people are controlling Warren this much."

"I wouldn't say they were controlling the entire country." Commented Arturur.

"You don't understand how Warren works." Started Abner. "We're all apart of the same mould. What one man thinks, another man thinks. Warren is a sophisticated nation with expertly forged links."

"I can imagine that." Said Arturur.

"No, you can't." Insisted Abner, becoming angry. "Don't think that you can do everything just because you're the Prince."

Arturur gave him a long look. "Fine. It's not worth arguing over anyway."

"Explain to me how this is going to work." Demanded Abner.