Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Abner's Shadows (Novelette) (FINISHED)

Post your own furry artwork and writings here. Non-furry themes are also allowed. Need writing or drawing help? You can find it in the Tutorials sub-forum, or you can post a tutorial yourself there. Role-playing advice can be found in the Tutorials sub-forum.
RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Re: Abner's Shadows (Short Stories)

Post by RabidFox » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:20 pm

Letting Go

Arturur wondered to himself what he was doing. And why he was doing it. He had been trying to help Abner, but Abner clearly didn't want his assistance. Not that, that mattered, but what did was that Abner was a pretty big barrier in and of himself. He didn't need his brother to make things hard. Abner was already difficult on his own.

What was it like to have a big brother anyway? Was it annoying? Did Abner like Euchre beating everyone up for him? Was it a question that he was going to have easily answered?

Euchre... Even his name sounded over controlling. Arturur felt like he had been slammed into a wall. Not by Euchre, but... by everything. What was he even doing? Was he really trying to help Abner or was he trying to help himself? Arturur thought of Granpa Pooky and he questioned what his real motives were. What was Sasawich really trying to do?

Arturur didn't know what to think. He was sitting in an armchair by the fireplace, watching the fire burn in the hearth. His mind drifted to his father. When would he meet him? And his mother, of course. When would he meet her? What were they like? Would he get along with them? Was Diego really as strict as people said?

Would the last of his problems finally disappear?

And what had happened to Asterterkin and Davin? Why hadn't they been forthright yet? That relief that he had felt... was it even worth it?

Sponsor

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Sun May 01, 2016 2:23 pm

The One That Didn't Run Away

"Euchre..." Said a firm, assertive voice.

"Euchre...

"Euchre...

"Euchre!"

The young white pixie turned around at the fourth call of his name. Some distance off was Arturur, standing there waiting for an answer.

"Oh... it's you." Said Euchre, finally. He looked him up and down. "What do you want?"

Arturur began to approach him. "I want to know who you are."

"I told you." Replied Euchre. "I'm Abner's older brother."

"Yes, I know that." He responded. "What I want to know is... who... are... you."

"I don't understand." Said the other pixie. They were in the middle of a busy office space.

"I want to get to know you." Clarified Arturur. He held out an arm, gesturing away from the workers. "Come. Follow me."

Euchre and Arturur walked towards the hallway and left the room. Arturur lead him towards an empty office.

"In here." Said Arturur, taking him inside.

"And what do we want, Prince?" Asked Euchre, sarcastically.

"You felt like I was giving Abner a hard time." Started Arturur. "I wanted to ensure you that I am not. Abner has been very kind to me. I'm a bit tired and worn out. It's been a lot of work adjusting to such a new environment. I don't know anyone here and it's been taking me a long time to come to understand everyone. It's a process."

Euchre gave him a funny look. "I know that." He emphasized. "But we all come prepackaged with a personality. You can't hide everything about yourself."

Arturur felt like his voice was rather sharp and he sounded like he disapproved of him.

"Is it just me or are you being harsh without reason?" Questioned Arturur, finding him strange.

"We didn't come here to talk about Abner, did we?" Said Euchre, narrowing his eyes at the Prince. "We came here to learn about me. To learn about the man I am. Right?" The last word dripped with belittingly sarcasm.

Arturur became angry. "Look here, Euchre. I'm not interested in fighting with you. I'm trying to be nice."

"As was I when you cast aside my brother as useless." Euchre bit into him hard.

Arturur said nothing for a moment, trying to ignore the vicious commentary and refocus the conversation. "So what kind of doctor are you?" He asked, trying to calm down.

"Not a research doctor like you." Replied Euchre. Arturur could not read his tone. "I'm just your typical therapist and all."

"All white pixies do research." Arturur found his response odd.

"Yes, but it's not my focus." Explained Euchre. "With you, it's all you do. You're not much of a therapist, I hear."

"I only did therapy with crazy people." Said Arturur.

"Why do you bring them down by referring to them as 'crazy'?" But Euchre didn't like his answer.

"Because they're crazy." Arturur didn't want to get into it again.

"Don't you think that's awful impolite?" Euchre wouldn't give it up.

"I think it's accurate." Arturur didn't want to sound cold, but he had trouble talking to new people and Euchre wasn't making it any easier.

"You're so cruel." Said Euchre, frustrated with Arturur.

"No, I really am not." Explained Arturtur. "You're just taking me that way because you won't even begin to give me a chance. You hear god knows what from Abner and all of a sudden I'm a villain."

"What about all the pixies you work with? Are they making it up too?" Euchre was downright mean.

"I have a difficult job!" Exclaimed Arturur, starting to explode. "It's hard for me! It's really hard! It's not something that other people know how to do. And yet everyone has a damn opinion about it!" Arturur pointed a finger at Euchre. "You think you can do my work?! Go ahead and try!"

Euchre was silent for a moment, expression flat. Then he smiled suddenly. "That's good." He said, confusing Arturur. "That's really good. It's about time you blew up."

"Oh no, o-o-oh no, you're not making this into some kind of therapeutic trick!" Said Arturur, filling with rage.

"I don't hate you, Arturur." Said Euchre, tone softening. "No one hates you. No one hates anybody... But you are so stiff and rigid and no one knows how to get you to lighten up."

"You bastard!" Growled Arturur, defensively.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Sun May 01, 2016 5:46 pm

Meeting His Match

"I don't want to fight with you either, Arturur." Admitted Euchre. "I just want us to get along, I really do."

"We did just meet, you know." Pointed out Arturur.

"Yes, but I usually have my way with people like you." Explained Euchre, honestly. "And I don't see that as something that's going to happen easily. You bite off anyone's head who argues with you."

"You're being judgemental." Accused Arturur.

"Of course I am." Answered Euchre, his arms over his chest. "I have to be. That's how things get done. Would you prefer for me to lie to you? To just kiss your ass like everyone else? You don't realize this, but they really don't want to just do everything you say. They have lives and memories and they went to school and they learned how to be psychologists. They grew up surrounded by protocol, and they worked as hard as they could to get the positions they now have.

"You want to just... take it all away from them."

Arturur gave Euchre a criticising look. "I am not taking anything away. My job deals with fundamentals. It has nothing to do with what you people actually do."

"We know fundamentals as well." Interrupted Euchre, trying to be civil. "We studied them too."

"You know that my job is what it is." Arturur clenched his fists. "Stop testing me. You're not an idiot. Everyone's told you. It's not like you haven't been required to study my position since the day you were born. You are well aware of how alien my knowledge actually is."

"Yes, yes, I know." Assured Euchre. "But what you don't understand is that there is a part of fundamentals that we do understand and it's that part we want you out of. We are a nation strong. You lived... well, honestly..." Euchre tried not to be too harsh. He didn't want to hit a soft spot. "with a very limited number of Warren natives. We've processed this information through countless psychologists. Through countless teachers, professors, doctors, mathematicians, priests, monks, and everyone else I didn't list. You are pushing your personal opinions on people that are well aware of the facts."

"That is not true or I wouldn't be arguing with you about it right now." Countered Arturur, angrily.

"You do not have definitive proof. I would know and I wouldn't bother you with it." Responded Euchre.

"I have all the proof I need." Asserted Arturur, unused to being challenged so obviously.

"No, you really don't." Euchre's reply shocked him. Why did this man keep knocking into him? "I know what your scope is and you know what your scope is. You just think that you're right."

"It's so much more complicated than that." Explained Arturur, growling under his breath.

"It really isn't." Insisted Euchre. "There's so much that you still need to learn. Headmaster or not, Jedediah or not, Wexler or not... you are still very young and inexperienced. And you've never lived in Warren before."

"You forgot that I'm a soldier." Arturur didn't even know why he bothered.

"Yes and that..." Euchre trailed off into silence. He gave him a serious, concerned look. "I'm not trying to war with you, Arturur. I really am not. I'm sorry." He said, sincerely. "I really shouldn't be so pushy and demanding. But I can't help it." He held his hands out sideways. "It's just the kind of person I am and I don't change. At least, not that easily. We will get along. I just have to calm down and you just have to calm down and—"

"I don't have to listen to this." Arturur stomped towards the door without another word.

"Arturur!" Called Euchre, holding out his hand to stop. "Don't turn your back on me! It's not what you think! I really am sorry!"

Arturur froze. "Can you please stop being so harsh?"

"Yes." Promised Euchre, genuinely. "I will. I will. I really will."

Arturur turned around then. "Fine. We can keep talking."

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Tue May 03, 2016 3:47 pm

The Trick

Arturur was alone. He was outside in an enclosed break area. He was sitting at a picnic table, lost within himself.

"So what do I do now?" The doctor asked himself. "I have tried everything I can, and I still feel miserable. Not nearly as bad as I did, but I really think that success belongs to all these pixies that won't leave me alone. They just keep talking to me and talking to me. It's a never ending cycle of therapy.

"Therapy... Psychology..." He trailed off into silence, then, "I am the Head of Psychology and even I don't know everything. I mean... I don't know what to do. I don't know everything...

"I don't know." Arturur stared off into space. He was doing a lot of that lately. Then he turned around to look at the trees behind him. There were several.

Time passed quietly.

"I need to focus on something. I need to focus on Abner." Said Arturur, trying to find something to preoccupy himself with. "Granpa Pooky wants me to do it. I know he does. Whatever his reasons... You know, I have an idea. A good idea. If I can just bust out of my own problems, I can hypnotize Abner with my success. If he sees me doing so well on my own, he will become vulnerable. It's this project of mine. I've made him this project of mine.

"Because I need to work. Because I need to feel normal. Because I'm so bored and all of this is so overwhelming.

"And because I care." He surprised himself. "That's it. Because I care. That's getting me past that uncomfortable barrier. I care about people. I really do. I'm a very nice, kind man that genuinely wants to help people. Yes, I want a project. But I also care about Abner. In the short time we've been together, he's been a great friend. I've never met anyone like him. I'm very blessed.

"When in the hell have I ever said something like that before?" Arturur made a strange face, shocked at his own words. "These people are getting inside of my head." He growled.

The young white pixie looked around himself. He was still alone. No one was listening. He could talk.

"I must do it. I must get past this barrier. It's in my way and it's making me feel so unhappy. I can't stand it! I have to do it. I know I can do it." He clenched his fist, trying to force himself past the uneasiness. "I... I... I have problems damn it!"

Arturur froze and blinked. He... had done it. He had said it and... he had believed it. Suddenly, he was overtaken with rage.

"You bastards!"

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Tue May 03, 2016 4:13 pm

The Biggest Wall

Arturur was alone in a library located at the Yellow Building. It was during office hours and so no one would be in there other than him.

"Okay, so a fundamental is like a door." Arturur tried to remember what Asterterkin had taught him. He was like an audio book inside of his head. "Not the basic interpretation of 'door', which shows a door as a gate to something, a metaphorical entrance to trapped inner emotions. But actually just a door. A door itself. That confuses people. It really does. They hear me talking like that and have no idea what I mean.

"A door. An actual door. Usually, I don't think of fundamentals as being about doors in any way at all, except for the concept of the psychologically compounding action of walking through a door. That causes the person's mind to hit a wall and results in special phenomenon in their thinking.

"But Asterterkin always told me that while that is true, despite not understanding how, I am thinking in a really idiotic fashion to persist in denying other fundamentals about doors. He's always told me that there is more to a door than simply using it to manipulate someone. Yet he's never totally understood what I mean by it anyway.

"However, I must look past that or I'm going to keep growling away his teachings.

"Fundamentally, a door can also be... Oh, what can it be? He's told me again and again that I have to think of this on my own... It can be... It can be..." Arturur struggled to understand.

For a while there was silence.

"A door can be... an entrance to a classroom. Oh, that sounds so basic!" Arturur didn't know how to figure it out. "God, I need help." He put his head in his hands.

Constantly, constantly, constantly. Thinking of the lessons that his uncle had taught him and thinking of the people that had raised him. Constantly, constantly, constantly.

Arturur stumbled, but managed to keep himself standing by grabbing onto a shelf.

"My life is so hard." He moaned.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Wed May 04, 2016 1:06 pm

The Sound of His Voice

Arturur was sitting in a back corner of the library. It was a window seat that was built into the wall. He knew that no one would be in there, but he had been worried about it anyway. The young white pixie had never been comfortable with people hearing about his emotions.

"Everyone around me is so normal." He started, a blank expression on his face. "They talk about everyday things all the time that to me sound sappy and gushy, but to them don't sound like anything at all. I don't want to sound like them. I don't want to... sound like that."

He was silent for a moment.

"They talk about everything. They talk with such ease. They can say whatever they want without crossing these barriers that, to me, don't look like barriers at all. I don't understand why anyone finds it hard to eventually open up about something when they say whatever is on their mind anyway. What does it really mean to keep something pent up? What am I doing? I'm the only person in the whole world that is so... totally and utterly sealed up. I've tried, I have. I've tried to be more open. I'm so totally different than I was before... when I was so secretive and private. But I still sound so closed.

"I wonder... what they really think of me? Can they not see me? Am I invisible? Can they really see right through me? What would they all say if they knew I could understand them and they knew that I could benefit from the truth? What would people say to me? What would they choose to say? How special am I really?

"And if anyone knew about... certain things and certain people... If they knew how such things affected me deep down... what would they think about that? Surely, they wouldn't think anything bad about me. I never really thought people would. I'm just not like that at all. But... Oh, I'm so... helpless."

Arturur didn't want to have problems. He didn't want to always be hiding his personal life. He didn't want to feel different and set apart.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Fri May 06, 2016 6:15 pm

That Man in the Mirror is Me

Arturur was in his bedroom at Granpa Pooky's house. He was sitting on the bed, thinking to himself. Once again, he was alone.

"I just did something I never thought I'd ever do. Just even yesterday." Said Arturur, concerned about his own welfare. "I picked up a psychology book and I actually read it. I thought it was a bit hard to understand, but, other than that, I enjoyed reading it.

"You see? I enjoyed reading it. Even worse, I found myself open to suggestion. I found myself agreeing with it simply because another psychologist said it was true. I... I... I'm losing it."

He was silent for a while.

"Why is this happening to me?" He asked himself. "Why am I suddenly so happy and carefree and normal? I never expected this. I grew up hating those books. I grew up being happy just to read Asterterkin's books. I created my own life. I created my own skills. I created my own interests. And now I'm being forced into a typical mould like everyone else?

"Why?"

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Mon May 09, 2016 12:03 pm

The Burst

Arturur was totally floored. He had hit his head up against one of the hardest barriers of his life. His mind was swirling and swirling and swirling. Everything around him had lit up and come alive. He felt like screaming. One moment, he was still lost in the vacancy of his own thoughts and then another moment... everything had been consumed in the fires of logic.

Surrounding him were the faces of his family and friends. People that had been trying to reach him. He wasn't sure just how much he wanted to be reached any more, though. He felt like collapsing. It was a good thing that he was already laying in his bed.

"Arturur?" The sound of Abner's voice was comforting, but Arturur was still reeling from his presence.

"Everything is alive with colour!" He yelled, overwhelmed. "What in the hell is going on?!"

"You're noticing things." Explained Granpa Pooky, slowly and carefully. "You're suddenly seeing the world in a more total and complete way. It's okay, Arturur. It's just your mind expanding. That's all it is. It's just a sudden realization."

"I don't understand!" He shrieked.

Dawson walked up to Arturur and sat down on his bed, looking down at him. The young white pixie was spread out over the blanket.

"It will end soon." Reassured Dawson. "Everything is going to be fine. You'll see soon enough. It's all ending. This is the end of everything. There's not much more for you to think about at this point."

Basil was standing up with his arms crossed. Worry was written all over his face.

"You know, when your father and mother sent you away to live in Wendell, this was not what they expected." Explained Basil. "They didn't think that you would think this way. They didn't know that you would have these kinds of problems. What they were thinking about was something entirely different.

"As a Headmaster, you were bound to rebel. I know you never really understood why you lived in Wendell and you still don't, but just to make sure that you understand this... this problem of yours, this terrible problem of yours... was not apart of their decision making. But know this... you would have had to live in Wendell anyway.

"It's going to be fine, Arturur. You're going to be fine."

"It's a good thing, Arturur!" Said Granpa Pooky, with a comforting smile. "Now you can see what we were talking about! Now you can even see what's wrong with your uncles. Isn't it interesting? Isn't it exciting? A whole new world, Arturur. You can explore a whole new world now. You're not locked up inside of yourself any more."

"You were never irrational." Said Dawson. "You were never crazy. You just have a developmental problem. You develop very slowly and, in many ways, you never developed at all. You just stayed one way your whole life. You just stayed that way. Now you're growing up. That's all it is. It's hard, we know it is. But that's all it is. There's nothing more to it."

Arturur felt miserable, his eyes locked on the ceiling with a confused frown on his face. At least the worst was over.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Mon May 09, 2016 12:32 pm

Before There Was Just Abner

Abner had always lived the way he wanted. Nothing ever got in his way. Everything was fast for him. Fast success, fast power, fast goals. Everything always went how he desired things to go.

Then he met Arturur. Then he started understanding what it was like not to be the centre of attention.

In many ways, he enjoyed being the strong one for once. Arturur greatly relied on him and he was the Prince afterall. However, he also got to experience what it was like to take second place. Instead of being at the front of it all, he got to see another side to people. A side to people that didn't fulfil his every whim and a side that expected him to be more responsible. A lot more responsible. It was different having Arturur around. It was enlightening.

Abner had trailed Euchre his entire life. His big brother was always fighting for his interests and, even when Abner deserved rebuke, Euchre wouldn't let people even so much as touch him. It was strange in a way, since Euchre himself was not all that strong of a person either, but that was how life was for Abner.

Abner was dark, creepy, power hungry, and controlling. His ideas got first place in school and he was the resident genius. No one ever ordered him around or told him what to do. He was the one that gave all the commands.

And then he met Arturur. And then he realized just how silly he actually was.

Arturur stomped around, giving orders all the time. He barked at everyone and everyone ran into their rightful places. He pointed a finger and everyone ran to do what he said. Even Diego had already yelled at Abner enough times to leave an impression. It was Arturur's world now and Abner was simply apart of it.

And now Arturur wanted to help him. Abner found it condescending.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Tue May 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Opening Up

Arturur was sitting in an armchair at Granpa Pooky's house. Abner was sitting across from him. They were in the living room by themselves.

"I know what you want." Said Abner, studying Arturur's sorrowful, solemn face. "You want to get to know me. I know that." Abner smiled. "That's fine. There's nothing wrong with that."

Arturur said nothing, his eyes on the ground.

"I am a pretty dark, creepy guy, I am." Admited Abner. "I like fire and explosions and lots of dramatic scenes, and I'm very aggressive and assertive. I have problems, I do." He was trying his best to cheer him up. "I frequently get in over my head, I'm always taking on projects that I can't do, and I don't listen very well. In fact, I don't listen very well at all.

"You're a lot better than me at thinking by the book. I mean, I do too, but I have difficulties doing it at times. For the most part, I'd say I do it fine enough. There's just this line that I have a lot of trouble crossing. At some point, I just don't budge. I stay with my own opinions and leave it at that. There are really common, core ideas about psychology and whatnot that I just don't accept. And it really gets to people too. They try everything they can to make me think like normal people, but it usually doesn't work when it comes to my more tenacious ideas.

"All my life, I've had this way of looking at things. This way of chopping up thoughts and reconstructing them. I like to analyse things into little, little pieces, and then put them together in all kinds of weird patterns. I feel like it broadens my mind, like it opens up possibilities that I normally couldn't think of. People tell me not to do it, that it's wrong, that it's damaging my mind. But I do it anyway. I don't believe them. And it's just too much fun.

"I can't say that I'm crazy about blood and gore. There's a lot of programs on the television that are very graphic. I don't like it, I really don't. But sometimes I get mesmerized by my own blood. Sometimes, I imagine cuts all over my arm and bandages wrapped around it with the blood seeping through."

Arturur quickly interrupted him, making a disturbed face. "That's awful." He said, obviously upset by Abner's thoughts about blood.

"Haven't you imagined things like that?" Asked Abner, calmly. "Lots of people do that, you know. Imagine things like that. It doesn't have to be a bad thing."

"It's always a bad thing." Said Arturur, in a very serious way. "That sounds like Asterterkin and Davin. If I ever was going to just study it, they've ruined it for me. Now I can barely think about the topic, even from the point of view of a health professional."

"I don't actually do anything to myself." Replied Abner. "It's just a fantasy."

"Yes, but fantasies can be destructive." Said Arturur. "I remember, when I was a little boy, watching Asterterkin do the weirdest things to himself. I never had the chance to be curious about things like that. I was immediately taught at an early age to be completely against it. The people in Wendell were very supportive of my uncles, of helping them, and they didn't want me learning bad things from them."

"What did Asterterkin do?" Asked Abner. "And Davin?"

"I don't want to get into it." But Arturur would not answer. He instantly looked away.

"You're very quiet about your uncles." Replied Abner, sadly curious. "They don't sound like very nice people."

Arturur said nothing, ignoring his comments.

"You know, you can tell me." Offered Abner. "I know that it doesn't have anything to do with you. I know that, Arturur. I'm not going to misunderstand you."

Arturur growled. "No." He emphasized.

"Okay, okay." Relented Abner, in a calm, easy way. "I won't keep asking. It's over now."

Arturur's eyes refocused on Abner. He was silent for a moment. "You sound like you have a lot of problems."

"I do." Admitted Abner, trying to push aside his usual defiant behaviour. "I just have trouble talking about myself like this. I have trouble... being open about it."

Arturur waited for the right moment, then, "There's nothing wrong with having problems."

"I know." Said Abner, smiling.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Wed May 11, 2016 7:06 pm

What Is Wrong With You?

"I don't like bad things." Said Arturur, quietly. "I don't like anything that can be bad. I don't do anything that is bad. I don't have anything to do with what's bad."

Abner listened without speaking. He didn't want to disturb him.

"I feel like everything in my life has been eaten away by lunatics." Admitted Arturur, holding his head in his hands. "Someone does something, says something, comes into this world a certain way. People can be like that. They can be like that. And then someone sees you and they can't see the whole picture and they know you're not like that, but they look for something. They look for something that sets you apart. Whether they call it abuse or neglect or whatever. It doesn't matter. They see you flinch and they just know that means something.

"It doesn't matter what you try to do. It doesn't matter how hard you try to follow all the rules. There's this past you have. You're not crazy, you never were, but you have this past. It looks like you've been abused. It looks like someone has done something to you. Where does that person's ideas end and yours begin? And people keep staring at you, wanting to help, opening their arms, outstretching their hands to yours. But they still don't understand, do they? I don't really know to be honest.

"I don't think I know much of anything. I used to think that I was this really intelligent person, and then I find that all around me are people that can actually do their jobs without my input. They can live and thrive and survive and I just sit here... worried and anxious and destroyed. Destroyed by what? What does it matter? It could be anything, right? Well, maybe it's not, but...

"I just want everything to stop. I just want everything to ease up. I just want everything to go away, to lift off and fly away. I just want light on everything that needs to be lit up and darkness to go where it should.

"It doesn't matter where it came from. It doesn't matter how I ended up like this. What matters is that this is the man you're dealing with. This is the man before you. This is who I am right now. The reasons are irrelevant.

"I am Arturur. It's nice to meet you."

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Thu May 12, 2016 8:47 pm

Inside of a Book

"I don't understand." Said Arturur, holding a book. His eyes were fixed on the pages. "Did you read all of this stuff?"

"In a different way." Replied Abner. "I didn't read that book in particular, but I did read lots of books on the subject."

"Is there something wrong with this one?" Asked Arturur, down but curious.

"No, not really." Answered Abner, his arms crossed over his chest. He felt strangely calm. "That book doesn't really get into things, but you should be able to take a lot from it since you think so technically. The author can't really hide his intentions from you. I mean, that's your job, right? Administrative duties that involve creating summaries and overviews?"

"Not summaries." Corrected Arturur. "But, yes, overviews basically."

"What does that mean?" Tried Abner, interested.

"What it means is that I interconnect everything that you would normally just see on a test." Explained Arturur. "That information melts together into a comprehensive set of instructions that people somehow understand and put into work. That part I really don't get. I just know what my employees are capable of and I act accordingly. Efficiency is obviously the goal at all times."

"So why do you boss people around when you don't really understand the... the overview?" Wondered Abner, hoping not to offend him and put him back into silence.

"I do understand the 'overview'. The problem is that you don't." Said Arturur, a little bit of anger seeping into his voice.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. Let's just look past it." Abner didn't want to upset him.

"This is a psychology book." Arturur held up the book by its spine. "It's about things that I normally don't understand or care for. But, strangely enough, it's not making me as angry as I would typically think it would. Why?"

"That I really don't know, Arturur." Abner was at a loss for that one. "You're very skilled, you are. You have this way of tearing into things regardless of what it is or how it makes you feel. My only guess is that you are a skilled psychologist. I really can't tell you any more."

Arturur gave him a look, but Abner couldn't read it. "You know, as much as it may confuse you, I really do have degrees."

"It doesn't confuse me." Replied Abner, simply.

"I'm still trying to figure you out." Admitted Arturur. "It's getting on my nerves. Why not just tell me already?"

"I have been trying to tell you as fast as I can, but it's not easy for me to... to talk about such things." Abner didn't think that Arturur would understand any better than before.

Arturur was quiet, his eyes locked on Abner. "Why is your brother so against me?"

"He's not." Said Abner, honestly. "He just seems that way because you just met him. He'll do the same for you too. He'll tell everyone off that disagrees with you. That even so much as looks at you funny. That's how he is."

Arturur returned to being silent.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Sat May 14, 2016 4:40 pm

The Timer

Abner was worried. Arturur was not just in trouble, he was in major trouble. Soon, Abner feared that his new friend would become a person very different from himself. The tension was building and people were snapping. Arturur had been declared incompetent. Not by insanity of course. He was far too rational to ever lose his mind. But by a severe developmental problem that had left him arguing with people on the most simple and basic of topics. Arturur just kept going and going and going, and those around him were concerned for him. To live in a world without such rules, it was starting to look like neglect to them, and they would never let a man like that live in such neglect.

But Abner disagreed with their impending decisions. He powerfully felt like there was another way. Yet how could he get them to see that? He had already argued for him as much as he knew how to do. There was nothing more that he could say, there was nothing more that he could do. Feeling immensely helpless, Abner had become very depressed. What would happen to Arturur? Would it change him? Or was he really that stubborn?

Even Granpa Pooky had agreed with it. And Diego and Travis and, worst of all, Ishimi. Once Ishimi agreed with something, there was no going back. The vampire was beyond negotiation. It was seen as both a strength and a weakness.

Ishimi... if only he could convince him, everyone would do what he said. Abner sighed, grabbing his head and looking down. All he could think of was Arturur's name, over and over inside of his head. This wouldn't work, he knew it wouldn't work. It would just make him worse, just make him meaner, just make him feel more insecure. He would draw even more inside of himself.

Arturur groaned, miserable. The young doctor felt like he was up against a wall.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Sun May 15, 2016 3:32 pm

The Last Resort

"Ishimi..." The name trailed off of Abner's lips. "You can't do this. It's wrong."

The vampire was sitting in an elaborate chair in the top centre of a middle sized meeting room. He had flat, black hair, and piercing blue eyes. His thin arms laid on the rests and he was somewhat slouched in his seat.

"You don't understand, Abner." He began, in an even tone. "What we're trying to do is help someone here. We're trying to help Arturur. He isn't out of touch with reality obviously, but he has never learned how to submit to authority figures. His mind is a mess. It needs some proper organization."

Ishimi was not the King. He was not royalty and he was not nobility. But he was the Watcher. He had immense power over Warren, and even possessed the ability to question and override decisions made by the King. Trying to reason with him was like trying to reason with a rock. Once Ishimi had made up his mind, it was done.

"No, you are the one who doesn't understand." Insisted an angry Abner. "Arturur is an intelligent man. He is capable of being reasoned with. But if you use force to try to get him to do what you want, he backs up. It's in his nature. He doesn't want to be hurt. That's all it is.

"He's had a hard life. You should take that into consideration."

"I have taken it all into consideration." Declared Ishimi, patiently. "We have tried everything with him. He just doesn't budge. He doesn't do what we say, he wanders around the Yellow Building like a hungry dog, and his ideas are just totally out of control.

"What do you want me to do, Abner? Seriously. I want to know why you are in here, challenging me."

"I know a side to Arturur that he has a lot of difficulty showing." Explained Abner, trying to play his cards carefully. "There is this person in that head of his, this lost, confused man that doesn't understand his world. But in there, there is also a very obedient and capable ruler. He is very skilled, immensely so. He can be communicated with. If you would just give me a chance... a chance to show it to you, to prove it to you... you'll be averting a crisis that never has to happen."

Ishimi was silent for a moment. "How long have you been thinking about this method of yours?" Abner could not read his expression nor tone of voice.

"I have wondered about it for a long time now, but I haven't had the inclination to test it out." Admitted Abner, already feeling like he was losing. "Please, Ishimi."

Again, Ishimi was quiet. "Fine." He said, at last. "You may try out this scheme of yours. But if it doesn't work..." He leaned forward, almost menacingly. "then we are going to do things my way."

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Tue May 17, 2016 3:05 pm

The Rush

Abner was pacing, back and forth, back and forth. He kept walking in circles around the Yellow Building, up and down the halls and here and there. Sometimes, he passed busy areas and walked right through them as if no one was there. People noticed him, all upset and trying his best to formulate a plan. They didn't believe in him at all. To the men and women of Warren, the decision had already been made. Abner was merely delaying things in their eyes.

The young white pixie stopped. He was standing in the middle of an empty hallway. His mind was running and he needed to calm down. He looked down at the ground, silent and still.

Arturur was keeping some kind of secret. Perhaps if Abner could get him to tell him what it was, then Abner could start to make progress. To be honest, he didn't even entirely believe in himself. But it was worth a try, which he knew that was what Ishimi was thinking. Ishimi always took risks. It was his way of ensuring that all the bases were covered, a result of his meticulous organization that he had slowly and carefully built to be the best safety system he could make.

Abner kept thinking of those thin, creepy hands. That strong, powerful look. Ishimi was a hard face to push out of one's memory. And he saw it—Gently mocking him.

Ishimi had another side to him. He wasn't just the perfect ruler in the most perfect way. He was wild... wild and volatile and just plain nasty. He was an extremely controlling man that could barely contain himself.

Did Abner have the ability to succeed?