Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our IRC channel!

[CLOSED] For Lack of a Better Name [Shanshan/Asyriel]

The most powerful of the nations of Feila, ruled by the Feline. The current system of government is a Feudalist Monarchy, with counties presided over by nobles, whom answer to the monarch. The military, being the Edwinish Army and Edwinish Royal Navy, whilst second largest in numbers, is the most effective fighting force in Feila. It is geographically connected to its larger neighbour, Gawain. Similar to Earth's medieval England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.
Shanshan Sarchus
Peasant
Species: Andrewsarchus
United States of America

[CLOSED] For Lack of a Better Name [Shanshan/Asyriel]

Post by Shanshan Sarchus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:17 am

Readers/Lurkers are welcome, but this is not a group RP.
Shanshan Sarchus as herself | Asyriel as Aloine Savale, Gavin Windsor, and Freya

There will either be a separate OOC thread or PM chat for our outside discussion regarding said RP, this thread is dedicated solely to in-character posting.
"Serving in a medical profession while having no thumbs really makes things difficult."
-Shanshan Sarchus

Sponsor

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Re: [CLOSED] For Lack of a Better Name [Shanshan/Asyriel]

Post by Asyriel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:48 pm

It had been nearly a week since an unusual illness had befallen Gavin Windsor, King of Edwin. The time kept passing, but none of the court healers seemed to be able to diagnose the problem. They wouldn't be able to keep the rumors from getting out of the castle for much longer.

He lay on his bed in his chambers, unable to move his limbs. It was not a lack of strength that caused this, but something more akin to some sort of paralysis. Freya had remained an ever watchful sentinel as the court healers had all come and tried, then failed to cure him of his ailment.

It was late into the night on the sixth day of his ongoing illness that he woke with a gasp. Freya had been nearly dosing nearby and rushed to his side. He looked at her with a genuine smile before he spoke to her. "There is someone who will know how to cure this." He told her, and she did not doubt his words. "A young woman, you'll find her in Old Nottingham. Go in the morning, find her and bring her here."
Freya couldn't help the frown she wore. "A single woman in the entire city; you are going to give me more to work with than that right."
Gavin gave the barest of chuckles. "Of course, she won't be terribly hard to find. She will be something you've never seen before in terms of species." He grinned "Don't worry, she'll stand out, and head and shoulders above the crowds."
Freya nodded her understanding, and Gavin drifted off to sleep again.

Freya left the castle early the next morning, well, about the time that the streets would be filling with furs living their lives. She flew above the crowds, searching for the individual Gavin had told her to seek out. She couldn't help but feel she was still searching for the metaphorical needle in the haystack, but she searched none the less.

Shanshan Sarchus
Peasant
United States of America

Post by Shanshan Sarchus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Shanshan Sarchus || Old Nottingham Market Plaza || Mid-Morning

An oddly foreign-looking fur whose every attribute diverted her from the majorly feline population meandered her way through small bustles and stands, towering over if not at least taller than all in her wake. The market scene in Edwin's heart city was just beginning to set itself up for the day, many merchants already early in displaying goods and calling to the slowly growing number of furs to get their attention, but the nomadic Andrewsarchus wasn't in any sort of rush to attain goods or services. In fact, she'd found herself here after making her way through Newark's ground and the rural lands between both cities, her keen nose and eyes weary from almost a compulsive search on her treks.

Shanshan felt the glowing warmth of Old Nottingham's mild sunlight lick on the dense canvas vest she wore and making her earth-toned fur boast a small sheen. She was glad that today was, for the most part, overcast; and she huffed in exasperation upon remembering a surprisingly sudden heat wave she'd experienced in Newark just days ago. A yawn crept up from her throat and seized her broad jaw's muscles, her mouth gaping for only a couple moments as a taste of her voice slipped out as well.

She'd realized a couple of young furs were watching her with a mixture of horror and awe, as if she were some sort of daunting monster, most likely drawn by the yawn. They stood by the stand she'd actually decided to head to first, and she felt bad by approaching them with inadvertent motives. Nevertheless, Shanshan ambled to the moderately sized kiosk displaying a wide array of rare and somewhat valuable items used in healing arts.

"It's looking like a fine morning here, isn't it?" the Andrewsarchus started, flicking a small ear as she approached with a friendly smile and tried to strike up conversation. "If you don't mind, I'd like to take a look at your collection and see if there's anything I'd like to purchase."
"Serving in a medical profession while having no thumbs really makes things difficult."
-Shanshan Sarchus

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Freya had eventually figured that her best bet for finding the individual she was looking for would be to check the areas where apothecaries, and herbalists sold their goods, and anywhere else a healer may shop for that matter.

Luckily the weather was nice, and there was only the slightest breeze to interfere with her flight. She flew almost effortlessly above the crowds, her shadow flowing over the furs below. Luckily the furs of Old Nottingham were used to seeing her in the air above the city at this point so her shadow barely elicited any reaction. A few small children still looked up in awe of the dragon flying above, but most of the denizens of the city paid her no mind.

That shadow eventually passed over Shanshan as Freya continued her search. As Freya looked down at the crowd below she caught sight of what had to be one of the most unusual furs she had ever seen approaching a merchant stall below. Gavin's words rang out in her memory, and she couldn't help but roll her eyes, even if he wasn't there to see it. "Ha ha, so you were right.." She muttered to herself as she circled the stall from above.

The dragon's shadow passed over Shanshan several times, growing smaller each time as Freya descended from above. As she got closer to the ground, the flapping of her wings warned the locals that she was about to land, and the space around Shanshan began to empty of other furs. A few moments later, the sound of several heavy wing beats accompanied Freya's final descent, followed by a heavy scratching on the cobbles as he claws contacted the ground. Freya walked up to Shanshan. "Hello." She said in pleasant tones. "You wouldn't by any chance happen to have any skills in the healing arts?" She asked. She tried not to stare too openly at the individual in front of her as she tried to figure out just what species she was. It wasn't every day that Freya met someone she had to tilt her head up to look the in the eyes.

Shanshan Sarchus
Peasant
United States of America

Post by Shanshan Sarchus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Shanshan Sarchus || Old Nottingham Market Plaza || Mid-Morning

Shanshan was about to further inspect a dried bunch of meadowsage when her ears swiveled backward to pick up the scattering of other furs and the flapping of draconian wings. The merchant himself offered a respectful gesture to the figure behind his customer, so she sucked in a breath thinking this was some sort of noble fur weeding her out from the kingdom's capital.

However, with the lilting "Hello" from the voice behind her, the Andrewsarchus turned to face her addressee like they deserved by now. This fur was obviously a dragoness, Western by her physical structure, and not much shorter than herself. "H-Hello! How goes it?"

"You wouldn't by any chance happen to have any skills in the healing arts?"

Shanshan chuckled with an inadvertently toothy smile, her five-digited and thumbless paws gripping the inward edges of her canvas vest, those areas obviously worn from past repetition of said gesture. "Why yes, I am! And actually, you'd found me just at the right time, I think. Even without purchasing surplus items at this stand, my medical arsenal is fully stocked." she stated with certainty, her unusually deep voice attaining a certain accent that would sound guttural and somewhat primal in nature.

She caught the dragoness' gaze peering inquisitively at her, and her own vividly green eyes blinked before coming to a much-too-common realization. "Oh, you'd probably never seen the likes of me before, have you...Well, neither has anyone else; it's really something to come across an Andrewsarchus such as myself, hmm?"
-Shanshan Sarchus

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Freya gave an equally toothy grin in return as Shanshan confirmed that yes she was a healer. "wonderful." She replied. She had the grace to look at least a little embarrassed when she was called out on her staring. "Heh, you're not lying there. I've definitely never anyone like you before. I admit to some curiosity, and apologize for staring." She said quietly before she suddenly perked up again. "Oh, I need you to come with me to the castle right away. We have need of your skills." She said before turning and opening her wings, ready to spring back into the sky. She stopped herself though, and turned around to look at Shanshan again. "I think we're going to have to walk." She said with a sheepish laugh as she folded her wings against her back.

"Please follow me." She said as she started off into the crowd. She used her abilities to broadcast a psychic suggestion that everybody around them wanted to stay out of their way. It made navigating the streets much easier. As they got on their way, Freya spoke again. "My name is Freya." She introduced herself, better late than never. "I work for the king." She said in pleasant tones.

Shanshan Sarchus
Peasant
United States of America

Post by Shanshan Sarchus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Shanshan Sarchus || Old Nottingham: Castlebound || Mid-Morning

"Oh, it's okay. I get looks all the time~" the Andrewsarchus joked, and after a bout of hearty chuckles sobered herself up to a look of surprise when the dragoness mentioned Edwin's castle. She flinched at the unfurling of her wings, blinking as she loosened her arms and rubbed her right bony jaw node. "A-Are you sure? I'm just a nomad medic; I mean, sure, I know what I'm doing, but I'm not even too old either..." she suggested, nodding her proportionately massive head slowly at the suggestion of walking.

The dragoness made her way towards Edwin's castle from the market scene and Shanshan padded hastily to keep up. Once a pace was set, the Andrewsarchus smiled at Freya's introduction. "Freya's a name I've never heard before! I guess since I'm the new royal medic for the time being: Shanshan Sarchus, at your service." she introduced with humor, staying true to her chipper self even in the face of possibly being chastised for talking to such an esteemed kingdom member like that. She cleared her throat, offering better casualty. "Shanny for short, if you'd like."

"The king?! Like, Gavin Windsor?!" Shanshan blurted, eyes wide. She'd heard of the esteemed King of Edwin back in Newark, almost all good things save for a couple political disagreements here and there. Picking up her step a bit, but wary of the more delicate medicinal items she carries in her canvas clothes' pockets, the Andrewsarchus decided that today she'd make quite a big impact before having to travel again elsewhere. She racked her mind for any disease that not even royal medics could cure, and she was completely silent with furrowed brows until turning her focus to Freya. "What are his symptoms? Have the whites of his eyes changed color at all? Tell me more about the sickness you think the king has."
-Shanshan Sarchus

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Freya chuckled slightly. "Oh, I'm sure of it, no doubt." She replied when Shanshan asked if she was sure about what she was looking for. "It's nice to meet you Shanshan." Freya replied as he medic introduced herself, she didn't elaborate on her own name, thinking about it's origin brought up memories she'd rather not relive. She nodded as Shanshan also offered a shortened version of her name. "I'll keep that in mind." She replied pleasantly.

She nodded again when Shanshan 'asked' for clarification about the king. "That would be the one." She replied with a suppressed chuckle. She smiled again, though this one seemed to have it's roots in relief, when Shanshan started asking for a list of symptoms. "Well, that's the thing..." Freya started to respond. "There aren't really many symptoms to go from. The whites of his eyes are the same. The biggest thing is that his limbs do not respond to his commands, the muscles remain solid but there is no movement. Breathing is well, slightly more difficult, I guess. He occasionally runs a fever." It was easy to tell that Freya was not a healer in any sense of the term, and that Shanshan would likely have to get her information firsthand.

The pair eventually came to the gate of the castle. The guards seemed more surprised to see Freya on foot than anything, that is until they noticed her companion. The stiffened marginally, but made no move to impede the pair's progress. Freya smiled and nodded to them as they passed through the gates, and the guards knew better than to try and stop her, or her companion. If Freya was bringing someone into the castle, it was a safe bet that it was because the king had told her to. Freya continued to lead the way through the castle, though she often led them through the smaller, less conspicuous servants' corridors. Eventually though, they came to the rooms of King Gavin himself. Freya stopped outside the doors to the chamber and faced Shanshan, giving the medic a few moments to compose, and prepare herself. She waited for Shanshan to verify that she was ready to go inside.

Shanshan Sarchus
Peasant
United States of America

Post by Shanshan Sarchus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:36 pm

Shanshan Sarchus || Edwin's Castle || Afternoon

Shanshan listened closely at the symptoms listed from Freya with obvious tones of uncertainty. She nodded, flexing her front paws' digits and poked her broad claws into the palm-pads. "Ah, hmm...I guess I'll get to have a better look at him once we get there, huh?" she muttered, feeling anxiety rise in such an important patient, but was countered by the comfort of her clothes and medicines' familiar heft weighing her down. A full-stocked supply she had on heavy canvas clothes would easily push ninety pounds in total weight, but the burden had become accustomed by the Andrewsarchus' powerful muscles and tanklike build.

Before she knew it the two had reached the gates of Edwin's castle, finding herself having to look down significantly at the guards from when she was interacting with the similarly-heighted Freya. Shanshan was led through countless doors and corridors before reaching what seemed to be the king's bedroom. She felt her breath hitch and her large heart give slow but ramming pounds in nervousness, but she let her eyes flutter before nodding and opening the doors gently.

"Hello, Your Highness?" the Andrewsarchus tried, peeking her large and broad snout in along with the rest of her head. Her overgrown mane bound in her signature ponytail lagged down over the front of her shoulder, and with the last rings of her inadvertently booming voice her ears flicked in realization that her call may have been a bit too loud for such a majestic and echo-prone chamber."I'm the medic that'd been asked to come in and assess your ailments?"
-Shanshan Sarchus

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Gavin turned his head to look at the doorway, and smiled. "Ah, there she is." He commented "So you are, please come in." He continued after Shanshan explained who she was. Gavin watched her as she entered the room, his frosty blue eye were clear and piercing as he watched her. "I've been expecting you." He turned his gaze to Freya who entered the room just behind Shanshan. "See now, I told you you wouldn't have any problems finding her." He teased gently. "I had the utmost faith in you."
Freya briefly stuck her tongue out at Gavin before she replied. "Oh, you would say that wouldn't you." She replied, the affection in her tones countering any bite her words may have had.
"You see the kind of things I have to deal with? From my most trusted people even." He said to Shanshan in tones that made it clear he was still teasing Freya. He seemed to be in good spirits despite the fact that he was confined to a bed, and could do little more than move his head and speak.
"I'll remind you of that later." Freya quipped back before she quieted down to let Shanshan work
Gavin simply smiled at Freya's final verbal jab, and focused his attention on the medic. "Now then, let's see what you can figure out." He told her. He waited quietly for her to perform whatever assessment she needed to, and let them know what she came up with.

Shanshan Sarchus
Peasant
United States of America

Post by Shanshan Sarchus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Shanshan Sarchus || King Gavin's Bedroom || Afternoon

It was only natural for the Andrewsarchus to be initially hesitant once entering, even after the king of this land invited her in. Her massive size, she hoped, didn't intimidate Gavin; lowering her head in respect despite his paralyzed state. She was also large enough to crouch by Gavin's bedside with no difficulty seeing him and interacting with him, blinking inquisitively at Gavin's physical state before shaking her head and deciding to take the risk of towering over the Edwinian king.

"Is there any pain, or is the paralysis more a numbing-type?" she began, gently placing one of her giant, thumbless paws on his chest and feeling for vital status. "Are you able to feel your pulse, or even my paw right now?"

Assessing further now, Shanshan took her paw off of Gavin's chest to reduce breathing difficulty, using both of them now ruffle her many-pocketed canvas vest for a decently-sized vial of clear liquid, and it was either the glass of the vial or the liquid inside it that stained the entire thing with a rosegolden sheen. "This is an indicator of sorts. It's not a medicine, but it's used on the tongue to search for traces of different sicknesses." she assured Gavin, asking him to open his mouth so she could place a couple drops of the fluid on the aforementioned area. Her tone was serious, but not faltering in the least of bedside manners, just not nearly the chipper self she usually was. "The indicator won't taste too pleasant, but I'm going to ask you to keep your mouth open for as long as you can, okay?"
-Shanshan Sarchus

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Gavin slowly shook his head when Shanshan asked if there was pain. "No pain, there's not really any feeling at all." He replied carefully "The pressure is undeniable." He commented when she put her paw on his chest. "But there's not any sensation other than that."

Freya continued to stand nearby, her concern easily discernible on her features.

Gavin took the liquid on his tongue, and while it wan't the worst thing he'd ever tasted, it was most definitely far from the most pleasant. He wrinkled his nose a bit at the initial taste, but was quick to master his expressions. He held it in his mouth for a decent amount of time before he spoke, trying to use his tongue as little as possible so as not to loose the liquid if it wan't long enough. "Hab ih beem log emough?" He asked, hoping that the procedure would produce some sort of results, seemed cruel to stick something that foul tasting in someones mouth and not get any results.

Shanshan Sarchus
Peasant
United States of America

Post by Shanshan Sarchus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:01 am

Shanshan Sarchus || King Gavin's Bedroom || Mid-Afternoon

A minute had passed before the indicator was able to give Shanshan clear readings, and her vivid green eyes darted carefully over the trace hues of rosegold in the liquid surging into an opaque blue, deeper and darker as time went, before finally halting at the congealing vantablack that seemed to invade the Edwinian king's tongue like the sickness itself. She stifled sucking in a breath before holding her jaw tense and nodding. "Yeah, it's been enough time..." she trailed, fishing in one of her many pockets for a surprisingly clean metal collection scraper and taking the vast majority of the now-gelatinous indicator, careful to not rouse any of the barbs on the feline's tongue.

"The indicator is safe to ingest, if you hadn't already assumed by me putting it on your tongue," the Andrewsarchus informed, trying to hide the rising panic in her communication as she assessed this disease the king had. "but...don't expect it to be any less bitter."

Shanshan held her breath as she watched the indicator solidify further into the viscosity of thick tar, with the obscure tone to match. She'd heard of this disease and knew exactly how to treat it, as she'd encountered the rare occurrence twice before, but the sole ingredient she needed to make the medicine was very hard to find...not to mention it costing a fortune in its most unadulterated form:

"Sky Iron...I need Sky Iron."

Her voice was hushed in mild panic, knowing she didn't have even an ounce of Sky Iron on her person. Screwing her eyes shut, she shook her head. "In all my years of being a healer, you're the third to have a case this severe of a disease called Lithocorpus: it's a very rare diagnosis, and its cause is unknown, but I...I was the one to first concoct a cure for it." she explained to Gavin and Freya, opening her eyes with guilt. "Lithocorpus isn't deadly, but it debilitates its victim for life, stiffening all the muscles in their body to mimic the likes of rocks. In its early stages, it numbs and paralyzes the victim's body to prepare itself for further congealing of the muscles, like what it did to the indicator here." Shanshan continued, showing Gavin the impossibly dark, tar-like substance that was once a simple fluid.

"I have everything I need to make my cure save one ingredient, Sky Iron, and the likes of what I'll need in terms of that material...it might take weeks. It's not exactly the cheapest or most available item on the medic's market, and I have no idea if anyone in this kingdom would be willing to sell it should they even have it."
-Shanshan Sarchus

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:31 pm

"Ugh, need something to wash that down." Gavin commented after Shanshan scraped the majority off of his tongue. Freya moved closer to Gavin's bed, grabbing a goblet from a nearby table as she went. She helped Gavin get a drink of water while Shanshan watched her indicator, and collected her thoughts.

Freya tilted her head a bit as Shanshan announced that she needed Sky Iron. Judging by the medic's tones, Freya assumed it was an ingredient she didn't have. Gavin simply nodded his head to the extent that he could, almost as if he had expected all of what Shanshan was saying.
Freya shook her head as Ahanshan explained the illness in more detail. "How long do we have till it's run it's course? Is the stiffening reversible?" She asked with concern.

Gavin's expression grew thoughtful when Shanshan mentioned that she had everything but the Sky Iron, but didn't know of anyplace she could easily get the ingredient. Freya threw up her arms in frustration, it was easy to tell that the whole situation was not easy for her, especially since there was little she personally could do to help. Gavin smiled a gentle smile. "Freya dear, do you remember that shop down by the foundries? Didn't the owner mention at some point that he had acquired some exotic metals at some point?"
Freya's expression brightened, and her posture straightened some. "Thats right....maybe he has some, it's a place to start at least." She replied before taking Shanshan by the arm in her haste to be making progress, and nearly dragged the medic from the room. "Let's go, I'll show you where it's at." She said to Shanshan as she pulled her along.

Shanshan Sarchus
Peasant
United States of America

Post by Shanshan Sarchus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Shanshan Sarchus || King Gavin's Bedroom || Late-Afternoon

"I'm glad I was notified this soon. The Lithocorpus is in its very early stages, but that does put quite a perspective on how much worse it can get if not cured. Actually, the Sky Iron is the material needed to reverse Lithocorpus' effects and healthily break it up after the other ingredients in my cure stop it from progressing; without it in my cure, the disease would just stop dead in its tracks and keep your body the way it is now without a component to purge it from your system."
the Andrewsarchus replied, talking about her cure for the serious disease with a hint of accomplishment. However, it was short-lived when her attention whipped to Freya's gesture of frustration.

Shanshan's small ears swiveled back toward Gavin, not moving her gaze from the dragoness, listening to the possibility of finding Sky Iron somewhere in this kingdom. Freya responded, and before the Andrewsachus herself could react, she reached forward and frantically pulled at her arm to hurry out of the castle...to wherever Gavin mentioned just moments ago.

Shanshan Sarchus || Traveling with Freya || Evening

"You didn't have to almost lug me through the castle, Freya," Shanshan mentioned with moderate humor, keeping her chipper disposition as best she could while the two trekked on. "I mean, I'm generally slow in pace, but if you could've given me a warning I would be on your tail in seconds. I didn't even get a chance to dispose of the indicator!" she complained mockingly, rolling her eyes.

Her stomach wrenched painfully inside of her as she realized she hadn't eaten all day at least, if not that long perhaps longer, but she'd sacrifice the chance of finding food for the urgency of the Edwinian king's disease. However, it did rouse a deep and unpleasantly pitiful complaint from within the dense white fur on her abdomen, which she silenced with a large paw gently pressing in and the signs of mild embarrassment in her pinned ears and small huff. She tried to push her hunger aside by bringing up their destination again.

"So uh, we should get there by sunset at this rate, right?" she asked, offering a sheepish smile. "Gavin said something about a shop? I'm not sure if I'd even have enough money..." she trailed, idly patting her clothes' pockets.
-Shanshan Sarchus