Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

The Merrily Happy City (Edwin) (Open)

Some one-thousand years into the future, Feila is now ruled by pop-crazy teenagers, computer nerds, and gun-wielding gangsters. This period is most like our present day Earth, specifically the 2000's, with the Internet, MP3 players, and towering skyscrapers. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
weasel
Thief
United States of America

Re: The Merrily Happy City (Edwin) (Open)

Post by weasel » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:22 am

The walls of a ruined studio apartment vibrated with every note of the music blasting full volume from an old set of speakers. A thick cloud of tobacco smoke choked the air in the room, supplemented by the orange ember of a cigarette which hung between the lips of an unkempt dingo, who sat upon a dirty old couch as he leaned over a battered coffee table, filling a medical syringe with the liquid held in a battered table spoon.

Dennis bit onto his lower lip. A leather belt was wrapped tightly around his left bicep, causing the veins in his forearm to bulge. He winced as the tip of the needle plunged into his skin like the bite of a snake. He depressed the plunger, filling his veins with the opiate venom which he so desperately loved.

Dennis loosened the belt from his arm, and the heroin rushed into his system. His eyes widened; he had done too much this time. Within seconds, the dingo began to foam at the mouth, and he slumped backward onto the dirty couch, completely limp.

His breath became heavy. His heart slowed. His mind began to slip. His sight faded into darkness.

Th-thump. Thump Thump.... Thump

Dennis's head jerked as he snapped awake, finding himself slumped on the seat of a darkened subway car. His heart raced, his breaths were deep and erratic. The high of the heroin was gone, as was the craving for more; he was perfectly sober for the first time in years. Silence surrounded him, and he could barely see in the darkness. His eyes fell upon a placard, an advertisement upon the wall of the car, which portrayed a man, chasing a butterfly, about to unknowingly step over the edge of a cliff.
Kings get assassinated. Castles all crumble. Forever lives the legend of a poet who was humble.

Character sheets.

Sponsor

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:17 pm

There was a high-pitched scream. A woman. Mortimer's head turned in the direction of the sound. It was down the tunnel. Hurriedly, he got up. It was an instinctual reaction. Rushing over to the tunnel, the fox stared down the long, dark path only to see nothing but darkness itself. Where was that voice coming from?! What had happened to Salvador?! Did Salvador have something to do with it?!

"Hello?!" His voice echoed into the emptiness. Then he started to tentatively step forward. "Hello?!"

Mortimer couldn't skip the opportunity to meet other life. And he hardly found a woman in distress intimidating. But it was the shadows, the blackness. It was the venture into the unknown. He couldn't lift one foot over and off the platform. He couldn't get onto the rails. Afterall... what if there was a subway car? He would get hit.

The longest time passed. The fox stood as still as a stone. No one had answered. It was almost sinister. His eyes caught on the seemingly endless depth of the tunnel. The world as he had known it, gone. All that was left was a sneaking suspicion that there was more to this bizarre mystery other than storms and his uncle. Something greater was going on here. Something of a higher order. It was as if he had entered a parallel dimension. Everything that had been there to ensure him of reality had pretty much vanished, except for the unmistakable designs of life. A little beast could never carve civilization out of stone and glass. And the voice... it most definitely belonged to a person.

His foot lifted up... and over... and finally...

he tripped again.

Mortimer cried out, finding that he had lost his balance. He had misjudged the depth. The fox was about to fall helplessly forward, but managed this time to stop himself. A leg shot out, his foot catching his weight before he had the chance to bloody his head on the rail. The headmaster was stunned, shocked at his own clumsiness. Frightened, he straightened himself up. His head darted in the direction of the scream that he had heard earlier, and his ears twitched, listening for it again. But of course he heard nothing.

Determinedly, he began to slowly, slowly walk down the tunnel. There was only the signs overheard to light the way. Barely anything to look at. All it did was show him when the tunnel was straight and when it bent.

"Hello?!" He cried out again. But still no answer.

He didn't think that a subway car would be roaring along any time soon. The place was a ghost city for all he could see. More and more minutes ticked by, and then he tried again.

"Hello?! Anyone there?!"

He wondered then... when the storm came back... would it flood these tunnels?

XLilli
Assassin
Species: Cat anthro
United States of America

Post by XLilli » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:24 pm

The moment the smell of smoke touched Crissie's nose, she bolted up. She looks at the maze around her, noting the skull. She looks down at her wounds and winces. She grabs her watch and puts it on. She looks at the papers and memorizes them before running off. "Owowowowow" she mutters.

A shadow hides, watching. Their eyes flicker and they vanish into the dark, leaving nothing.

Crissie looks around her, "Who's there!" she shouts, "I'm not afraid of you!" She trembles, obviously afraid. Her tail droops and she runs on, panting. She chirps slightly in fear. She cautiously continues, careful to not trip. She looks at the burning wreck, gasping. She looks over at Grif and nods, smiling a forced smile. "I'll look inside!" she shouts, running inside.

A silted pair of eyes watch from a distance. Claws tap against stone. "Hmm..."

Crissie chokes on the smoke. Her feather ruffle from the heat. She looks around for someone, ears swiveling. Her eyes water and she runs back out, coughing. She gives a thumbs-up, "I'm ok!" she semi-shouts. Her tail is a bit darker from the flame, her nightgown a bit torn.
Look past the things you think you see. Move your head just a touch to the left- a glance in a world of perspectives- and then, you might see it: An entire universe in the corner of your eye.
Dana Cardinal.
You're - You are, your - belonging to you, youre - is not a word, yore - I dunnow
We become what we Behold:
We shape our tools, and then our tools shape us.
Char list: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7628

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:04 pm

The tunnel was so dark and empty. Mortimer had to be careful not to trip on the rails. The only light he had were the signs that hung from the ceiling above, and they did not really illuminate anything. He wasn't sure if he was going in the right direction until he heard loud shouting. Again, it was the voice of a woman.

The fox tried to make the correct turns, yet he still felt like he wasn't going anywhere at all. And what if there was no light there either? What would he do? How would he get out of these tunnels? Mortimer already felt like he had made the wrong decision. A very, very wrong decision. It would be awful if he got caught in these tunnels and it would be even worse if—

Splash!

His foot landed in water.

weasel
Thief
United States of America

Post by weasel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Squinting through the darkness, Dennis stared at the placard. It seemed oddly familiar... Not just because it was a metaphor which described his current situation... No, he had seen it before. Though, he could not recall where.

The dingo took a deep breath and looked around. The lights of the subway car were dead, as though it had been abandoned for years. The carriage was not moving. The only sound he could hear was that of his own heartbeat, drumming steadily in the dark.

Where am I?
What is this place?

He rose from his seat and looked around. There was nobody else. He was alone. The silence was deafening.

Dennis's green eyes shifted downward, looking over his own body. He was wearing the same clothing as before; a pair of tight blue jeans and a plain, white t-shirt. But it wasn't the same... His shirt was no longer tattered and stained, his jeans no longer frayed, faded, and worn. Instead his outfit looked brand new, clean and perfectly tailored. His fur, freshly washed and groomed to perfection.

The dingo's hands dove into his pockets and fumbled around, feeling out what was there. A pen, a lighter, a half-full cigarette pack... His wallet and phone were gone. Out of instinct he dug further, checking for his drugs, his syringe, or the switchblade he often carried... None of it was there.

Where am I?

Dennis looked around once more. Squinting through the darkness, he caught sight of a door, jammed halfway ajar. He pulled the lighter from his pocket and struck it, the resulting flame casting a dim glow through the train carriage. He stepped toward the door slowly, pushed it the rest of the way open, and then dropped down onto the darkened floor of the tunnel, landing in an inch of water upon the tunnel's floor. The sound of the splash echoed off of the walls.

Where am I?

Is this Hell?
Kings get assassinated. Castles all crumble. Forever lives the legend of a poet who was humble.

Character sheets.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Mortimer was suddenly very, very ill. He looked down at his feet, and saw the reflection of the little light in the tunnels. It was water. Not lots and lots of water. But water. He stepped forward. Splash. He stepped forward again. Splash. He kept walking and walking and walking. Splash, splash, splash!

"My god...!" He exclaimed, horrified. He had to get out of these tunnels!

But what about... What about the voice? What about the woman?

And how in the hell would he ever find his way back?!

Then something dawned on him. Where there was water, there was an opening to the outside world. Realizing this, he began to walk very quickly down the tunnel. The water got deeper and deeper... He was having an even harder and harder time trusting his instincts.

weasel
Thief
United States of America

Post by weasel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:45 pm

Dennis's eyes strained, focusing down the dark of the tunnel. An eerie silence surrounded him, punctuated only by the sounds of his own heart and lungs. Placing a hand against the outside of the train carriage, he chose a direction and slowly made his way forward, his feet sloshing through ankle-deep water.

Before long he had reached the end of the train, and was now staring into the dark void of an empty tunnel. The dingo stopped, looking into the darkness with a trembling lip.

This is Hell.

Fear washed over his entire body and a tear began to soak the fur below the corner of his eye.

Suddenly, echoing through the darkness, he heard a splash. Then another. A rhythm of distant splashes echoed through the tunnel. The dingo's ears twitched in sync with them. He lifted his foot and stepped toward the sound.

Splash. Splash

The sound continued, growing slightly louder. Dennis started toward it, ears pinned back. Soon his own watery steps matched the rhythm, then exceeded it as he broke into a run in the direction of the sound. Someone was here, he wasn't alone.

Character sheets.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:33 pm

The headmaster noticed sounds in the distance. Someone was here! He had found them! Initially, he thought it was the woman, but after he started running towards the source and the figure finally came into view... he noticed that it was actually a man! That meant that there were at least two people in the tunnels with him. Mortimer began to wonder if there was a large group down here.

"Hello!" He cried, waving one of his arms. "I'm right here! Hello! Come here!"

He was overjoyed to see another person. As the man came into view, Mortimer saw that he was a dingo.

weasel
Thief
United States of America

Post by weasel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Dennis trudged through the water as fast as he could, his own splashing steps drowning out the sound of those echoing through the tunnel. Up ahead, a faint glow he did see, the darkened concrete arch of the tunnel outlining it, and in the middle, a silhouette.

The dingo stopped in his tracks as the figure lifted an arm to wave. A voice echoed off of the walls. "I'm right here! Hello! Come here!" the voice said. Dennis squinted through the darkness, able to make out the figure of... Was it a fox? He didn't know, but it had called to him in the voice of a man, and in the tongue of Edwin.

Where am I?

The dingo stepped forward slowly, suspiciously. His mind raced, arguing with itself. On one hand, he was overjoyed to see another person, and they seemed friendly. Yet part of him was unsure if this was friend or foe. He called back, his thick Domish accent echoing off of the concrete as he sloshed forward toward the man.

"Hello?! Who is there? Where is this place?"

Character sheets.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:40 pm

A voice answered him within the dark. He almost jumped in excitement. There was life afterall!

"My name is Mortimer!" He called, not realizing that his name was not very important right now. "I'm a teacher..!" And neither was that. "I come from Aldrich! I have no idea where this is!" And that most certainly wasn't helpful.

He placed his hand on his face, having some faint idea that it would be better if he just started walking.

"I'm coming!" He called again. "Don't worry! I'm friendly! I don't have any weapons!" He had just suggested that he may be a psychotic serial killer haunting the subway of some nameless city that was likely being used as the subject of a horror film.

Mortimer bravely stepped forward, and then his bravery shifted to worry. What if this man had gone crazy? The fox knew that all the madness had definitely been making him look at himself totally differently. Oh well... He had no choice. He'd have to go with whatever he got.

And so the teacher kept moving until finally he could see the man clearly. He was a dingo. The fox thought that was a bit strange. You didn't notice many dingoes in Edwin. They were mostly common in Domus. Of course, there were many canines living in this country, it was just that particular species was unfamiliar to him.

Then something else that was also strange entered his mind. The man had spoken in a Domish accent. He was likely not from around here, though, it wasn't unusual that he would speak Edwinish. Many places were bilingual, and Edwinish was a world popular tongue.

Great. He was stuck with a man that may not even understand him.

weasel
Thief
United States of America

Post by weasel » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Barely able to hear the other voice over the sound of his own steps sloshing through the flooded tunnel, Dennis came to a stop, just in time to hear the phrase, "I don't have any weapons!" The dog's ears shifted downward; that comment was a bit foreboding, if anything. Still, he thought to himself, at least he wasn't alone down here.

Dennis lifted his lighter and struck it. The tiny flame cast a dim, flickering glow through the tunnel, illuminating the face of the fox who now approached. He looked Mortimer over carefully, silently, clearly sizing him up and taking extra care to check the fox's hands. After a moment, he cleared his throat.

"You look lost, monsieur," he said, realizing that this too was a rather off-putting thing to say in such a situation. Then again, the entire situation was off-putting. "I am lost too," he added, a slight quiver in his voice and a look of mild fear behind his eyes. "I do not suppose you know the way out of this tunnel?" he asked. His speech was slow, as if he were struggling to remember the right words in this, to him, foreign tongue.

Character sheets.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:19 pm

Mortimer was overjoyed when he finally reached the survivor. For a moment, it was like the man didn't speak Domish.

"I'm so glad to have found someone else in this big, huge, terrifying fun house!" Exclaimed the fox. "I've been searching and searching for any sign of life, but I can't even find a bird in this place."

He suddenly realized that he must look like some homeless man. His suit was filthy and the water had splashed all over his legs. His whole appearance was quite unimpressive.

"I know I may not look like it..." He started, only able to think good things right now. "but I am actually a headmaster." He grinned. "But, no..." The fox answered. "I have no idea where we are or how I've gotten here." He paused for a moment, trying to gather his senses. He was so excited. "I think there's a hurricane coming." Fear seeped into his voice. "There was a very bad storm earlier... Everyone has evacuated." Of course, that was what Mortimer thought was the truth.

He looked around him, seeing nothing but darkness spare the dingo in front of him. "I don't know how you managed to run into me unless you came from a subway station. I've been trying to find a stair case. I would think that the flooding is coming from above, so the more water, the closer we are to getting out of here." Then he remembered the girl. "I heard a woman scream. I tried to find her, but I couldn't. Did you hear her screams? Or perhaps you know her?" Anything could be true in a baffling situation like this one.

JamesG
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:23 pm

Grif had pulled his coat over his head pretty quickly as the air itself became scorching. Blind, nostrils smoldering and insensible, trying to protect his hands with his shirt cuffs, the wildcat scraped himself frantically across the gravel, imagining that it was a bed of coals that threatened to set him aflame. He collided painfully with something, and guessed he had made it to the first burning carriage. He drew a quick breath, squinted his eyes in preparation for the smoke, and lifted his head to peek up at the carriage. The doors were jammed open, but with his eyes slits he could only make out their barest outline. He clamped his stomach muscles, and in one heaving motion, pulled himself up over the ledge, and into the carriage.

There was no heat. Grif's nostrils flared, sucking in fresh air. His pointed ears twitched. There was no sound of crackling flames or screams. He shrugged his coat back onto his shoulders and opened his eyes. There was a dim natural light coming in through the carriage windows. The floor was covered in dirt. Weeds were bursting out of the faded and cracked foam seats, white capped mushrooms were sprouting out of holes in the floor. The doorway he'd come through was still open, and a breeze wafted through the carriage and ruffled Grif's fur.

“What...” Grif muttered. He cautiously stepped out of the carriage. He had actually expected that he'd be somehow transported to the smoke-filled tunnel, but he didn't even seem to be underground anymore. The sun was coming up, lighting up the shapes of trees and bushes. The carriage was half buried in the ground, rusted and ancient. It looked as if it had been dumped here decades ago. The wildcat paused by the carriage, running a paw down a black burn mark on the metal surface. He hadn't been imagining the fire, then. What had happened was impossible. But here Grif was, and wandering in and out of the carriage, as if expecting something magical to happen, got the wildcat nowhere. He had stumbled through a door, and it had led somewhere else.

Grif shuffled his cards, sitting on the grass by the carriage. He could see the towers of the central district in the distance, so he knew he had not left the city. He must be in Memorial Park, the city's largest nature reserve. He would have to wait for more light before moving out. The city wasn't less dangerous by day, but at least it looked a lot more grand when its imposing architecture was more visible than vague dark silhouettes.

Grif's Reading in Memorial Park, 5:32AM
Wheel of Fortune
The Chariot
The World

A change in fortune, and Grif hoped for the better. The Chariot... perhaps hope, or even some small victory lay ahead. Grif's heart began to lighten, burdened as it was by the night's losses. The World... completion, perseverance, the synthesis of many coming together. Grif could not even begin to guess what that could mean, he was alone again, as he seemed fated to be.

Grif's hopes sunk to a new low, when he remembered Mister Grieves still was expecting him to keep up the deal he'd been more or less forced to make. He would have to find some poor survivor out here and sacrifice them, like a dumb animal, in exchange for his daughter. Not even for his daughter, but just the chance of finding her again. Grif would have fired himself from his own company if he made business deals that bad.

It was light enough to see a dirt track through the trees, and Grif was getting cold now he'd had a chance to stop running. He took the path east. Little Yamaha was this way, and he vaguely remembered telling Chrissie to go there if they separated. More importantly, there were other survivors in Little Yamaha, and since he'd lost hope of finding the newcomer, one of them would have to do instead.
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

weasel
Thief
United States of America

Post by weasel » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:36 pm

An expression of confusion crossed the face of the dingo as Mortimer went on. He hadn't come from any station, nor had he heard any sort of scream, and what was this about a storm? He began to wonder about the fox's sanity, as well as his own. Still, at least he had found someone else down here, someone who wasn't hostile, and even seemed happy to see him.

Dennis turned, looking in the direction from which he had come. The water was deeper that way, and based on Mortimer's assessment, perhaps there was a station that way. And so it was that he looked Mortimer in the eye and beckoned him back down the tunnel.

The canine felt his way along the wall, sloshing through the water, his eyes peering through the darkness and occasionally glancing back toward the fox. His ears pivoted, listening to every echo of the pair's footsteps as they echoed off the concrete arch of the tunnel. Soon, they came across the train in which Dennis had woken, and pressed onward, passing it in the opposite direction. The water became ever deeper as they continued, and soon they sloshed through waist-deep water. Dennis pulled the cigarettes and the lighter from his pocket and held them above the waterline as he sank deeper into the water with each step.

The darkness grew darker, the silence grew more silent, but soon, a dim light shined down the tunnel. Dennis reached back, feeling around in the darkness for Mortimer, and grabbing the cuff of his jacket. His pace picked up, as much as he could muster through the flooding and the darkness.

The tunnel opened up suddenly, and the two found themselves in a flooded subway station, the water spilling out a few inches deep on the platform. Dennis hauled himself onto the platform, helped Mortimer onto it as well, and looked around. A dim glow shone down from a staircase against a wall opposite the tracks, and a single fluorescent bulb flickered and buzzed in a ballast overhead. A rusted, chipped-painted sign on a concrete pillar pointed toward the stairs to above: Little Yamaha: Tokugawa Avenue

Character sheets.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Ireland

Post by RabidFox » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:48 pm

The fox had followed the dingo through the tunnel, eventually finding a station. He got up onto the platform, and then looked in the direction of the staircase. He didn't bother to look at the sign.

"There it is!" He cried out, in joy. "It's an exit!"

Mortimer began to hurry towards the staircase, looking back a couple of times to see if the dingo was coming with him. He started up the stairs, and, once he was outside, the fox became stunned.

He was... in Yamaha? Mortimer was extremely confused, not understanding why he was suddenly seeing all this oriental stuff. It took him a long time to recover, simply staring, clueless and lost. Then it dawned on him.

"Oh!" He said, realization filling him. "This is a special district."

However, that did not change the fact that he was still unfamiliar with this entire city, not just this particular block. He had no idea where to go. He had no idea how to leave this place. He had no idea how to get home. And, even more importantly, he had no idea if he was about to die because his stupid, abusive uncle had dragged him out to survive a hurricane. Mortimer knew that he would be getting a "trophy" for this, some beautiful plaque awarded to him by crazy Salvador. It would have its own special place in Salvador's office, you could be sure of that.

The fox hung his head. "I just want to go home." He moaned, unhappily. Inside of him was a deep feeling of hopelessness. It burned at his heart, threatening to cause its collapse.