Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

(Mideval, Open) Swords-For-Hire

This is where all of the medieval Arctic Islands role-plays are archived.
KiloFoxx
Assassin
Species: Arctic Fox

(Mideval, Open) Swords-For-Hire

Post by KiloFoxx » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:23 am

A tall white Fox with green markings sat in front of his Forge. Turning a medium sized hunk of Iron in his paws, thinking of how he wanted to shape the metal. His paws felt over the cool Iron’s surface, expertly judging the weight and consistency of the component. An idea seemed to click in his mind and he set the metal down on a nearby table and pumped the forge bellows, bringing the fire to a roaring heat as he prepared to shape the metal into a tool of war. He glanced over longingly to the back of his shop towards his own weapons, two blades that would be slightly large for the average fur, simply crafted and lacking any real ornate design, their sheaths battered from use, and a large Glaive pole-arm, bladed on both ends mounted on the wall. Next to them was a poster advertising his services as a mercenary. He heard the door open as he was preparing the metal to enter the forge, or rather; he felt the rush of cold Arctic air enter the forge-room in stark contrast to the heat from the fire. Kilo sighed as he set the Iron ingot aside and turned to the Being that entered his shop.
“Yes, how can I help you comrade?”

(i don't really have any plot-line set for this, just ready to see where it goes. though obviously someone hiring him for some quest or another would be the obvious plot-line. for those curious who don't know, a Glaive is a pole-arm weapon that is, essentially, a sword on a staff. designed for sweeping and slashing attacks. character info is in the sig, his appearance is similar to that of my Avvi)

Sponsor

IkarosMelan
Assassin
Species: Seal-Wolf Hybrid

Re: (Mideval, Open) Swords-For-Hire

Post by IkarosMelan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:15 am

An accented, feminine voice emerged from the moment of silence. "I was told this was the place to go for weaponry." The owner of the voice emerged from her hood, revealing her smooth grey fur and blue eyes. "Before we discuss any other matters, what might your rates be?" Her gaze shifted about, finally landing on the iron work the fox had set aside. "What's she going to be?" She nodded her head toward the unfinished piece, ideas for the finished product buzzing around in her own mind.
Read about my beautiful mind babies here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6632&p=127208#p127208

RasHeart
Marquis
Species: Jackrabbit
Canada

Post by RasHeart » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Weslee hated the cold. She simply wasn't made for it. "Nobody from Domus is, I reckon." she muttered, clutching Thunderbane tightly. Her ears perked up to a clashing of metals. A fight? No... not here. Who in hell would fight in a town? Wes recalled that duels were frowned upon in Arctic culture, though she might have been wrong. She finally arrived at the source of all this clanging, finding herself at a sort of forge. At least there was a fire there; she needed to get warm. Fast. The rather short canine entered the forge, finding a pair of people standing about. One was hooded, but definitely feminine, and the other was a green-furred fox, working the forge. "I've never seen someone work a forge before..." she muttered again, loosening her grip on Thunderbane.

The aforementioned staff was a finely crafted weapon, made of a tempered bronze, and was shaped the hands of a master of his craft. Across the "blades" were inscriptions, magic symbols meant to boost electricity coming through the instrument.

KiloFoxx
Assassin

Post by KiloFoxx » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:14 pm

"Well I wouldn't be so bold as to say my shop is THE place for weaponry, but I always aim to please. As for my rates, it really all depends on what kind of weapon you're looking to fashion. An axe is quite simple, and less expensive than a falchion or a scimitar, which require more care and skill." he hefted the grossly unfinished blade he was working on. as for this, I was thinking of making it a Jian, and coating the blade in a Silver solution for use against spectres and other incorporeals that a normal blade cannot touch. the blade design isn't a problem, but the silver trim runs up the price. all told, I'd say it'd sell for about 1 Kosar, and 6 or 8 Szelak once it's finished." Kilo set the piece back down onto his worktable and vainly tried to brush some Iron dust from his fur for a moment. "what kind of piece were you looking for exactly?"
Kilo noticed another being outside the shop, but didn't know if she was going to come in, or just just looking, so he paid her no mind. though paying or not, it was always a pleasure to have others in his shop, where the only company he had otherwise was his forge, and the crackling of the fire.

IkarosMelan
Assassin

Post by IkarosMelan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:40 pm

She repeatedly tapped her slender fingers against her chin in thought. "Well, I was actually a little interested in something that could pack a punch. Let me think for a moment, love." There that accent was again, still as foreign as ever. Her ears perked up a little bit as she finally conjured up the image of her ideal weapon. "Do you think you could craft a mace? I'm a bit of a collector, and that's the one item I don't have in my possession." Her furry paws reached into the burlap sack on her side. "Let's see... I've got 12 Kopeks and 4 Szelak. Surely it won't even be that much, 'less you require the money?" She looked up at the fox in front of her, briefly analyzing him. He seemed to be well fed, and quite built for his presumable age. The thought rattled around in her mind for a moment, before she finally shook it out. Then again, generosity was important. "Well, do you darlin'?"
Last edited by IkarosMelan on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KiloFoxx
Assassin

Post by KiloFoxx » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Kilo nodded "which kind of mace? Flanged or Chain? should only be about 11 Szelak unless you want a particular kind of wood for the haft. anything that dosn't grow here I have to import. I could do a full-metal haft, but that'll add needless weight. it's really all up to you" he said with a smile. he was by far not low on spending money, custom orders always carried a relatively large profit for him, and whenever business was slow he could always make non-weapon ironworks such as various equipment and utensils. although he much preferred making coin from his mercenary work. he enjoyed the challenge and adventure, then there was the payout of both his hiring cost, and various loot he acquired.
"so what're you here in the Isles for? Business? Pleasure? or perhaps adventure?" he asked curiously, secretly hoping for the last one.

RasHeart
Marquis
Canada

Post by RasHeart » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:34 pm

[Dear lord, you guys are quick.]

"...Business, pleasure, adventure?" These three words seemed to ring in Weslee's ears. She had heard of a certain lost relic around the locals. They spoke of the Stone Crown, an item containing immense power, so she decided to enter. She did need a few others, preferably a local, to guide her through the landscape to find said Crown. "Actually, I have something in mind, monsieur." she spoke up. "According to what I've heard, there's a relic called the Stone Crown, hidden deep underground, in one of the caves around here. I'm not entirely sure what it actually does, but... I'm willing to find out..." Wes paused, obviously flustered by what the hooded figure had said. "I'm willing to pay." Wesley added, pulling out a large sack from inside her mage's bag. "500 Edwinish Guineas, all legitimate." She said, dropping the sack on Kilo's shop counter.

IkarosMelan
Assassin

Post by IkarosMelan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:18 pm

"A chained mace will do quite nicely. Interestingly enough, you're the first to ask of my travels all day. I'm here on a bit of a self-guided tour for a little while. I'm a native of the Isles, I've just never seen any other islands. Funny thing is-" A certain phrase had registered in her ears. Whoever had entered into the room had spoken of the Stone Crown. Her cloak moved violently, hood somehow staying in place as she whirled around to face the speaker of the words. She held up her finger in a "one moment please" gesture and set the money gently on the counter behind her. Nothing else was present in Inuk's mind at this point. It was just herself and the canine with the staff. "I don't wish to attack you, I'm just wondering how you know about the relic."

Said dagger was a little blunt from repeated usage, but useful all the same. The handle was crafted of silver and now tarnished gold, and the blade had trace amounts of its leather sheath along the edges.

KiloFoxx
Assassin

Post by KiloFoxx » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:35 pm

[Well i should hope I am, seeing as I'm online almost all the time. also i had too look up that currency, according to the economics posts in each region, 1 Guinea is about (according to very rough math) 54% of 1 Kosar. I know that they don't have to be used, but I like to in order to keep things organized.]

Kilo sighed and slipped a Mail glove onto his dominant hand before stepping around the counter, rising to his full height of over 6 feet, ready to stop any attack the hooded customer might try against the other patron with his mailed paw.
"now now now... first off..." he turned to the Spellslinger "I'd be right in assuming you're a scholar of some sort right? First off you're a mage, and second, I doubt anybody carries 500 pieces of ANY country's gold coin for just in case. Gold is quite the weighty metal." he turned to the hooded patron "I'm sure that satisfies as to HOW she knows about whatever this artifact is, now I'd appreciate if we can calm ourselves and get back to business? having potential customers and employers die in my shop is rather damaging to one's reputation you know." he said with a smile that revealed likely more of his fangs than the had intended, almost all of his teeth were sharply pointed, and a simple grin from him was enough to put off most anybody.

RasHeart
Marquis
Canada

Post by RasHeart » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Weslee's body loosened, after the rather stressful approach by the hooded stranger. "Thank you...uh..." she trailed off, craning her neck upwards at this behemoth of a man. "Yes, I am a scholar, in fact." she added, not at all intimidated by the forgemaster's toothy grin. She studied the fox, trying to gauge his capabilities. A rather useful knack she'd picked up in Gawain, during her assistance to a detective solving a murder. "Anyway, I'd like to enlist your help. And if you refuse, I'm perfectly okay with...that. As long as you give me my money back, please?"She clutched Thunderbane closer, charging mana through it. The air seemed to smell funny.

KiloFoxx
Assassin

Post by KiloFoxx » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:59 pm

Kilo resumed his normal sagging stance that disguised both his sheer height and his rather thin frame rather well. "well Mercenary work is really the main part of what I do, I typically open the forge when business is slow. I'll generally take on any contract as long as the pay is right. UNfortunatly, I'm not familiar with Gawain's coinage. though average rates in local currency is between 25-40 Kosar depending on length of the contract, and a share of any miscellaneous loot we happen across. something tells me that 500 Guinea is quite a bit higher than that. before you make a decision though, you'll need much more than just guide to navigate those labyrinthine caverns, and having someone handy with Fire Magic would be the best idea... I do not cast fire, and judging by the way my fur is standing on end, neither do you." Kilo vaulted back over his counter and pushed the gold sack back to the mage. "I also get paid after the contract is complete. consider it a guarantee of sorts." he smiled friendlily and turned to the Hooded patron. "now then, I just need what kind of haft you'd like on your order, and I can start on it immediately, seeing as I now apparently have a new contract underway"

RasHeart
Marquis
Canada

Post by RasHeart » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:39 am

[Time to bring out something from the bottom of the toybox...]

"Oh gods, I really wish he was here right now..." Weslee muttered, pinching the bridge of her muzzle. "I knew this one person, an expert pyromancer. Quite charming, too." She added, albeit clearer.

Erellan stood atop a snow dune, sighing deeply as he overlooked the small town below. He felt... something. A sort of aura. The air here smelled like ozone, a scent that shouldn't be around in this latitude. Clearly the work of an electromancer. And something tugged at the back of his mind, there was one person he knew that used lightning magic. A certain long-haired canine. The hare headed down the dune, towards the cold town ahead.

KiloFoxx
Assassin

Post by KiloFoxx » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:55 am

[Well it's an ice region, of course all the native wildlife will be weak to fire]

"well we don't necessarily NEED one, with the right tactics you can bring down a yeti. it just makes it so much easier. I've had certain...." he trailed off as though he'd said something he shouldn't and paused to think "situations... where i've had a stroke of luck and brought down similarly difficult creatures on my own. I guess it's in my blood." Kilo calmly walked over to his mounted gear and withdrew a bag with several plum-sized pellets inside "that's not to say I'm without certain.... Methods." he playfully tossed the bag in his paw "Alchemist's Fire. ignites and immolates on contact. generally carried to create an impromptu forge, or to start one up quick, but I've used them before as weapons."

RasHeart
Marquis
Canada

Post by RasHeart » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:06 am

Erellan followed what seemed to be mana trail, which lead to a small forge.He squinted, trying to peer inside; three people, a fox, another hooded person, and the one he was tracking. Weslee. Slowly, Erellan approached the forge.

"Those are interesting. Are those some sort of fr--" Weslee was cut off by a creaking, from the door. She turned to check who had just came in, and was instantly stunned. "Speak of the devil." she muttered, staring right into Erellan's green eyes.

"And wot d'ye mean by that, Weslee?"

IkarosMelan
Assassin

Post by IkarosMelan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:21 am

[I'm assuming this lad came to Weslee's rescue? She seems rather interesting, by the way, but I can't seem to find her character app to read up on her.]

"You're in luck that your friend showed up, dearie." The dagger was soon returned to its sheath, a look of slight frustration finding its was across Inuk's face. "No use in getting violent now, is it? So, let's start over. The name is Inuk. I'm the younger sister of the tsaria. What might your position be, love?" She removed her hood and revealed quite the friendly face, despite her previous actions. "Don't be afraid, I won't hurt'cha." She slowly extended her hand to shake.