Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

The Warehouse District (Gawain)

This is where all of the Age of Cyborgs role-plays are archived.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Re: The Warehouse District (Gawain)

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:44 pm

"I... don't think you know what I mean." Kolin remarked as Sasha confidently put forward that there were ways around restrictions. "It's hard to take a surreptitious trip to the moon, or beyond."

He tapped the table, not impatient with any present, but brooding upon some long-held irritation. He sighed. "It feels a little ridiculous, but if you know anything about its history, you have a hard time calling the country we border 'Edwin' anymore. I still don't know how they went so wrong, but they've gone and done it." He slapped the menu down with an irritated grunt. "On top of all the myriad of iron chains the Party put on that country, they've gone and put a Space Embargo on the rest of us. Further activity might disrupt their satellite network, and no one's willing to push them far enough so that they weaponize their space platforms. No one's going to start World War IV over it, but where does that leave us? Stranded on this little rock ball like Robinson Crusoe, if Crusoe had the means of building a ship, but Friday would murder him if he tried it."

This was evidently a theme that he hybrid could expand upon at length, and it is probable he would have done so if the waitress hadn't come by for the drink orders. The break let him simmer down, and he only said, "I shall be having the Green Curry; the others have too much potato for my taste."
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Rackenhammer's RP Experience "blog"

e-mail: [email protected]

All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:29 pm

Sasha nodded, and listened as Kolin expressed his views on Edwin, and their space embargo. She had been about to intreject, but the waitress showed up at thier table, cutting the rant short. She waited for Kolin to place his order before placing her own. "I'll try the red curry please" she said, and waited for the waitress to leave before she spoke again.

"I'm sure a properly motivated group or individual with enough resources and the right technology could do it." She said in quiet tones. "I'll admit, I don't know all the logistics of a space launch off the top of my head, but if you could get your hands on an island, and the supplies...biggest thing would be getting past without detection..." she mused

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:51 pm

"Exactly what kind of resources do you think I have access to?" Kolin asked, in a playfully sardonic manner. Further contemplation of the issue, however, sunk him back into a black study, as it usually did. "But that aside, good friggin' luck hiding anything from the Party Spies. My boss actually had to deal with a team while I was away on business in Domus, right here in Gawain, would you credit it? Ugh." He scraped his tongue over his front teeth, like he was trying to get rid of an unwholesome taste.

"Don't think I haven't looked into it; ever since I was twelve I've wanted to punch through that ceiling one way or the other, but I have not found any way to do it. Edwin's got the best intel gathering network still; there's no island anywhere that I could, hypothetically, build a launch platform without someone picking it up. And unless you're one of the really big technocrats, you couldn't get an island free of government interference anyway. Who do you know that would spend that kind of money, which would yield, at best, a symbolic return on investment, with a risk of loss involving, well, pretty much everything they've got, at worst? It's like... sharing an apartment with an absent-minded tiger. If he notices you, you're done for."

Here the waitress came for their food orders. Some remnant of chivalry clued Kolin in that he might be infringing on Sasha's patience. "But enough about my broken dreams." He waved them away airily enough. "How about you?"

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:30 am

Sasha shrugged in reply to Kolin's inquiry about resourses. She hadn't really figured he would have access to the kind of resourses that such an endeavour would require she had mostly been making the point that someone with proper resources and motivation could possibly pull off such a thing. His comment about sharing an apartment with an absent minded tiger did elicit a chuckle from her.

Shasha took a couple bites of her food before answering Kolin's question. She smiled, and lowered her voice a bit. "Well, aside from helping the boss with the personal weapons arms race" she started "we've been working on an ongoing robotics project with some hope of eventually getting a military contract, and we've recently started playing around with 4Didar stealth." she said excitedly

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Kolin took the opportunity to study his dining companion a little more closely as the food arrived. There was in her the meticulousness of the good engineer, combined with no small amount of creativity. It wasn't of much surprise that she was in the weapons customization business.

He raised an eyebrow at the description of her current projects. "Good luck on the last one. Major contractors haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet. Any success in that line would probably make your boss a technocrat by the end of the year, if he can hold on to the patent." He took a few bites of his own curry, remarking, "It's a lot easier to fool the analysts of the data than the 4Didar sensor itself. Still, not many tricks have a long shelf life." He shrugged. "Social engineering's not in my line, though I've known a few. Anyway, I was actually talking about outside of work. What else do you do?

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Sasha flashed a bright smile. "I'm about as far from a social engineer as you can get. Were working on a theory of using the system against itself...sorta" she said before laughing. "work and not work seem to blend together a lot for me..I spend a lot of time tinkering, but I've been known to enjoy a night out at a bar, or dancing in a club. I suppose it just depends what mood strikes me." She ate a couple more bites of her food while she studied Kolin for a few moments. "so, what got you into this particular line of work?" she asked with decided curiosity. There was something about him that struck her as slightly out of place for the environment, but she couldn't put her finger on it, and that was going to drive her to frustration eventually.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 pm

"Oh? Are you trying to crack the hardware, or the software?" A 4Didar sensor system was a complex piece of machinery, but like most technology, it was an aggregation of simple principles, all coordinated by a more-or-less standard algorithm set. "Software might be easier, if you can remote-hack it, though that's not exactly stealth, I suppose."
Kolin shrugged. "Really depends on your objective, I suppose. If you're dealing with known sensors, then software-cracking's a safer bet. You're not actually going to be able to deflect the sensors and look inconspicuous to the naked eye, not even with a nano-cloud. Also, there's a distinction between sensors actively manned, and sensors that are just passively collecting and storing information, but that gets into the more social side of the thing."

He paused, tapping the table. "Actually, if you wanted to max the profit from this proposition, you could sell solutions 'tailor made' to whatever the client wants to do. And if you really wanted to be unscrupulous, you could sell that information for a double profit." He shrugged, as if to say it was nothing to him one way or the other, and turned back to his food.

He listened politely to her activities. He probably wouldn't have met her socially, as his interests somewhat diverged from hers, recreationally. "Hm, you mean my courier work? Kind of interesting, that. I was in and out of the hospital a lot as a kid. I came out with brittle bones, you see, and had to have them cybernetically replaced. It was a bit of an experimental model; artificial bones designed to grow with you. Well, it worked out eventually, and got me a tidy sum for being a test subject, but in the meantime I was laid up. Spent a lot of time reading, actually, and I got a taste for old books. My parents put me in touch with the premier collector of the things, and we became friends pretty soon.
"As it turns out, a book collector needs a pretty big information network if he wants to get his hands on the rare ones as anything like a reasonable price. Also helps to have a reliable courier. Well, when I'd moved out of the house, he offered me a job as his personal courier. I take business on the side when he's got nothing for me."
It was a true precis, though it omitted certain facts about Kolin's own background.

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:08 am

Sasha smiled, and shook her head. "we're actually working on modifying a portable system to link with an unmodified system to brodcast a picture of the surroundings of the area to be masked...sort of like putting a picture of what's behind you in front of you and using it as concealment. the results have been hit and miss so far, lots of fine tuning needed but it seems a promising route so far." she replied about the 4Didar project, it was obvious that she thuroughly enjoyed her work from the way she talked about it.

She listened to his story with genuine interest. "growing cybernetics." she said with a touch of wonder "Did they use nanites to acomplish that?" she asked "or maybe modified synthetic protiens and calcium? were the brittle bones from the avian part of your family?" she said the last with genuine interest, and little thought to how it may have sounded coming out. "and you're a collector of books...any genre in particlar besides old? You know I do a bit of smuggling on the side." she said with a sly grin. "if you ever find yourself in need" she paused for a moment as if backtracking their conversation so far in her head. "so, your boss...are you at liberty to reveal?" she asked "and does he have any interests in arms or robotics?"

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:04 pm

Kolin gazed at the ceiling, chewing as he tried to figure how the double-broadcast system. "You'd have to sync the signals perfectly for that to work, both with each other and the one you're trying to fool. Most high-end systems switch band sets on a random timer, so that might account for your lack of consistency."

The hybrid shrugged, returning to a subject with which he was more familiar. "My bones? Well, I guess you could say they're made of 'organites.' Can't say much more; the company that made them had me sign a non-disclosure agreement. And yeah, the brittle bones were from the avian side of the family, though," He flapped his wings once, "It's not without its benefits." He grinned, remembering all the flights he'd ever taken. It was an incomparable experience, soaring through the air with your own wings, and he wouldn't have traded it for all the hospital days in the world.

He shrugged as Sasha's next question brought his mind back down to earth. "Oh, I'm not the buyer, I just read what he gets. No harm in telling his name, anyway, it's Raymon Valencii. As far as I know, he's not got interest in either arms or robotics, but if there's any non-confidential information you can give him about what your customers want these days, he'll thank you for it. He runs the directory for the Warehouse district, and he could point a few guys your way, for a cut of the proceedings."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:33 am

Sasha took a few more bites of her food as she listened to Kolin. She'd have loved to hear more details about the technology used in his bones, but since that topic quickly became off limits, her attention turned more to his boss. She thought back, seeking to remember if she had heard his bosses name in discussions with other clients or just in general; it seemed like it should have been familiar. "He must have one heck of a library." she commented. "it's a shame he wouldn't be interested in anything for himself, but if he is interested in a mutually beneficial arrangement of some sort, I'm sure something could be worked out." she said with a smile.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:12 pm

"He does, at that, though it has some rather irritating gaps in it." Kolin had just about finished the curry, and was motioning for the waitress to bring a check. "I'm not sure if the works have been completely lost; sometimes we can't even recover a digital copy. He can give you a list of things to look out for if you call him up."

He laid a few credit-mark chips for payment and tip; it was the closest thing to cash in circulation, and the main form of currency in the warehouse. There was always a market for minimally-traceable transactions, especially underground.

The winged hybrid got to his feet. "Well, Valencii's probably got something for me by now. I'll drop by if he changes his mind on the weapon; don't worry about me finding you, I know where you keep shop." He tapped the side of his head. "Courier's got to know that."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:13 pm

“I may have to do just that” Sasha replied as she finished off her own curry. She looked down at the chips Kolin had tossed on the table, and picked them up. “my treat remember” she said with a grin as she tossed the chips back to Kolin and dropped her own down onto the table. “got to go already huh?” she asked, sounding a little disappointed by the fact. She was a little surprised that he knew where she kept shop, of course she wasn’t sure if he meant he actual store, or one of the gunsmith’s many meeting spots. “well…feel free to stop by, doesn’t have to be a business call you know” she replied