Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

A Good Life (Dmitri, various) (Restarted) (Open)

This is where all of the Age of Space role-plays are archived.
DamonMcLarren
Outlaw
Species: wolf

A Good Life (Dmitri, various) (Restarted) (Open)

Post by DamonMcLarren » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:51 pm

The club, Voyages, thumps, filled with bass and sound, the music what would have been considered an odd mix of metal and techno a few hundred years ago. It is rather early in the day, just before noon, so the music isn't too loud yet, not like it will be later. There aren't many patrons inhabiting the place at the moment, just a few furs having lunch.

Upon entering the club, the first thing that you would see is the bar, surrounding the bartender on all sides in a circular fashion. It's quite large and can seat about 35. In the middle of the bar is an island containing cooking equipment, a grill and griddle, a high-speed oven, and a decent sized stove, as well as several coolers. There are more coolers under the bar itself. The setup allows the patrons to watch their food being cooked or their drinks being mixed freely, and allows the bartender/cook to talk to his customers as he performs his duties, as well as show off a bit as he cooks. Around the bar, mostly to the right, are tables and booths of varying sizes. To the left, past the few tables in that direction, is a large cleared space in front of a stage, for concerts and such. Right now, the club is lit warmly, with a soft light conducive to eating and relaxing. Later, as afternoon fades into evening, the lights will dim, and be replaced with blue strip lighting, as well as specialized directional lights over the tables, which the patrons can switch on and off at their leisure, depending on what type of lighting situation they would prefer to be in. There is no live music scheduled for tonight.

The club, by Dmitrian standards, is a small one when looking only at the restaurant and bar side of it. When taking into account the potential for live music and partying, however, the value skyrockets, especially considering some of the entertainment that goes through here. To handle all the drink demand for live music nights, there are vending machines along one wall that carry generic alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, to release some of the strain off the bartender.

At any point in time, there is at least one fur in Voyages that stands out, not because of his heavy body mods, but because of his relative lack of them. Blackjack leans against the counter behind the bar, bored, with little to do. He is wearing only a pair of black shorts and a cook's waist apron1- with a decent quality pistol in a holster at his hip, the rest of his apparently unmodded body showing. The wolf's thick black fur shows his muscle tone, and it's obvious that he takes care of himself, even in a lowish-gravity environment like this. Shaggy black hair streaked with red hangs to his shoulder blades, his ears and tail tipped with the same red. A coil of metal spirals up the outside of his left ear accompanied by an industrial bar, as well as two industrial bars set at different angles in his right ear. He has digitigrade legs.

A 4Didar scan would show something completely different, however. His insides, including his nervous system, while appearing to function similarly to an organic's, are all synthetic, with the use of nanites to keep them in proper working order. Muscles flex and work just like the real thing. His stomach is where food (or any source of nutrition) goes when taken in, and from there it is broken down and shifted on a molecular level by specialized nanites and sent throughout his body as needed, until what is left is a sole hydrogen molecule, and even those get used. A very efficient process, especially as there is no waste material produced. His "brain," a highly sophisticated neural array, seems to function much like an organic brain, with the added thinking capabilities of a computer. Even his skin and fur are synthetic, though they look and feel like the real thing. One curious point to note is that in his chest is a thin layer, just underneath the skin and not visible without a 4Didar scan, designed specifically to show up on said scans with the wording "I'm not an Immortal, please ask about this before pointing your gun at me." He added this little feature out of necessity, as he almost got a chemical round to the face on more than a few occasions. Another is that he appears to have scars in several places on his body, though the nanites would normally prevent any scarring from occuring.

The regulars to the club would know him as the owner of the bar, and the main barkeep and cook. At night, he usually has one or two waitresses on staff, and on busy nights another bartender to help him out. However, his other bartender found a different job just recently, so there is a Help Wanted: Apply at Bar sign on the automated bulletin board next to the door.

Currently, to all outward appearances, he isn't doing anything, merely leaning against the counter behind the bar with his eyes closed, waiting for someone to get his attention. However, internally, he's not resting at all. A built-in communication array, and a decently powerful one at that, is allowing him to surf the extra-net, the communications network broadcast throughout the Dmitrian federation. Currently, he is checking on the local news, keeping up with the events of the area. At the same time, he sends a wireless signal to the music player in the club, changing the song and lowering the volume slightly.

I turned to look, but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown, the dream is gone
And I have become comfortably numb"
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

Sponsor

Ziger
Baron

Short post is short, and non-descript of bunny!

Post by Ziger » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:28 pm

In burst a small feral looking rabbit, sliding side ways at first on the smooth floor before the magnets in his feet kicked in, giving supreme traction to the tiny thing. It was probably an odd sight, seeing the little fellow scramble across the floor, panicked, looking this way and that for some sort of escape route. Purple eyes spotted the patrons of the bar, and a sudden jolt of fright sent him scurrying towards a wall. Now for the real oddity of the panicked frantic scurrying. Dutch headed straight up the wall, slowed only minutely by the fact that he had to have at lest two paws making contact with the metal beam he was following in order to counteract gravity. Never the less, the full throttled rabbit skittered up the wall in no time flat, propelled by fear and fright. A good look was hard to manage, considering how fast he was skittering, and the lighting of the place.

Not too far behind the rabbit, came the reason he was running. Two very disgruntled weasels, probably brothers, still clad in their space gear, came rushing in before sliding to a halt on the heals of their synthetic rubber boots. The looked about, until the taller of the two looked up, and spotted the rabbit. He slapped his paw across his brother's head, who quickly retaliated, then looked up, aiming a wrist mounted dart gun at the little fellow. "Dis what you get for nibblin' on my wires, rat!" A dart let loose, but Dutch had made it to the ceiling, and hid in the rafters. The dart struck and broke a light, sending a small amount of colored plastic free falling to the floor below. The little rabbit peeked out just enough to see the two, then popped back behind. "You missed him! Load another round!" They didn't seem to care that they had just run into a private establishment, nor that they were breaking private property.

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Re: A Good Life (Dmitri, various) (Restarted) (Open)

Post by DamonMcLarren » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:24 pm

Blackjack's brain allows him to track the rabbit perfectly as he enters, his sensitive ears having picked up the light skittering of the rabbit's claws across the floor before he saw him. Blackjack knew a tech rabbit when he saw one, and one going straight up a wall is a definite sign. After all, he had been involved to some small degree in the project that created the little rabbits; he had found it amusing when the word that seeing a rabbit on your ship was a good omen got around.

Blackjack's gaze snaps from the rabbit travelling up into his ceiling to the two grunts that come sliding in after him. He was about to attempt to distract them and try to make some sense of the situation when one of the pair spoke up and activated the dart gun on his suit. Though he couldn't do anything about the first dart fired, his pistol was out of its holster by the time the dart shattered the light, aimed at the weasel with the dart gun.

"I suggest ya stop right there," he growls, most definitely loud enough for the pair to hear, his teeth bared slightly. "I don' know who ya are, but no one, an' I mean no one, comes inta my establishment an' fires a weapon off, ever! I don' care what yer after, deactivate tha' piece of shit an' get out, or get a chemical round to the shoulder. Choose fast and move slow." He says all of this quite evenly, without raising his voice above a normal volume, but the danger that he poses is dripping from every word. The sight of his pistol helps, too; it's a big one, something equivalent to what a .50 cal would have been 350 years earlier. As he looks at the pair, his eyes seem to flash red briefly.

Of course something like this would have to happen while I'm looking for help, I doubt I'll get any applicants for a while, he sighs to himself. Inwardly, he is rather calm, the situation not really that bad compared to some of the stuff that he'd gone through in his past. However, outward appearance often helps a good bit when dealing with things like this, so menacing was usually a good look to adopt.
"When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:35 am

The shorter weasel was pulling the darts out of his pocket, ready to load them in with his fat fingers. "I'm loadin', I'm loadin'. I doubt you'da made a better shot. That's why I have the gu-" Three or four darts clattered to the floor when the two spun around to face the wolf. They were a slimy pair to begin with, and the two were not about to risk their life on something as little as petty revenge. The shorter one began to shake, staring down the barrel of the pistol like it was some endless void. The dart gun popped off his wrist, and he tossed it up at the taller brother, then pointed at him. "It was his idea!" The taller one gave a nervous, forced grin, and together they slowly backed out the few steps from the entrance they had come in through. Just like that, the pair was gone, leaving behind only the darts on the floor, and a snapped lens.

Dutch stared down with intensity, absolutely shocked he had had the good fortune to have the wolf scare the two sleaze balls the foot long rabbit had been travelling with. Now that they were gone, though, the little rabbit had other worries. The wolf had a familiar feel to him, but Dutch didn't trust feral gut all that often. More so than not, it got him into deep trouble he couldn't escape from. 'Maybe a sign of good will towards him will help.' Careful little hands wrenched the broken lens from the socket, turning it slow and steady to keep the sound to a minimum. Although it hurt his ears, the little rabbit thanked the base of the music playing in the background for the cover it gave him. 'No one could'a heard me coming with that playing!' Tiny fingers clamped tight around the edge of the lens, the lack of metal meaning he had to rely on not-so-brutish-strength of his to keep it from falling to the floor below. The tiny hare whined as he found that the polymer was heavier than he could hoist, leaving Dutch upside down, held in place by the magnets in his feet, as his arms stretched out, holding the lens in the air. 'Great! Now what you stupid rabbit!?'

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Post by DamonMcLarren » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:23 pm

Blackjack tracks the pair with the pistol as they exit, a very serious look on his face. As soon as the door closes behind them, however, he drops the pistol, pinching the bridge of his snout between two fingers and sighing. "Couple a fuckin' cowards," he grumbles as he replaces the pistol in it's holster. "Now, where did tha' rabbi-" His words stop in surprise as he looks up and sees the bunny hanging upside down. He smirks. "Oh boy. Helpful little bugger..."

Blackjack removes his apron quickly and moves a counter out of the way in the center island of the bar, ascending the built in ladder in the large column that let him access the lighting sound systems in the ceiling. He traverses the short space across the beams quickly, with perfect balance, stopping when he gets to where the little rabbit is hanging. He looks over the edge of the beam at the small furry thing.

"Hey," he says softly. "Need some help?" He reaches down slowly and takes the piece of broken lens from him, at the same time taking the rabbit carefully in his paws and putting him right side up on top of the beam. He inspects the broken lens then, leaning back on his feet. "Those weasels wanted ta do a number on ya, didn't they?" he asks, looking back down and putting the lens in his pocket. "Mind if I ask what happened ta piss 'em off s'much? Go ahead, I know ya can talk." You might notice that his accent is odd, and one that you've never heard before. In fact, it's a Fortrian1 accent, though you would have no way of knowing this.

~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Dutch lifted one foot from the beam, and squeaked in disapproval when he swung back and forth from the one foot still attached. The other foot quickly reseated it self on the beam. 'Great! It's too heavy to even walk across the beam with! Now what?' Image the rabbit's surprise when the lens suddenly disappeared from his paws. Dutch looked down towards the floor, looking for the lens. So surprised was he when wolf paw wrapped around his middle, that the magnets in his feet shut off, leaving him to dangle from the paw. Foot long rabbit shook and shivered, looking down with a new found fear of heights, with the new found lack of footing. Those fears subsided once his feet made contact, magnets sucking his feet to it with a weight much greater than his own weight. Dutch continued to shiver for a short time, before the words finally broke the spell. He spun around and looked up at the wolf, wide eyed.

"Nya?! How did you know?" Black tail puff wriggled in aggravation at his lack of stealth. Dutch pouted, fur puffing up at how much bad luck he had been experiencing since climbing aboard the weasel ship. "Well, if you must know," the rabbit began, little purple eyes peering up at the comparatively huge wolf, "they were a mean bunch to start with! I just gave them a little nibble of their own medicine, and when they found all the little bite marks on their wiring, they flushed me out!" He thumped a foot on the beam, looking over the edge again. "Nyaaa.... Is a long way down." The little rabbit looked up at his savior again, and folded his ears back. "Why do you seem familiar? I've never met you before."

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Post by DamonMcLarren » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:37 pm

Blackjack smiles down at you, leaning back against a column. "I knew for the same reason that I seem familiar to you. I was involved to some extent in the project that gave you abilities far beyond a normal feral rabbit. We've met, but it was a long time ago. I oversaw some of the medical procedures, to be certain that no harm came to any of the rabbits in the project. I'm happy to see that you seem to be doing so well."

He flicks an ear and looks back down at the light before wrapping his legs around the beam that he's sitting on and swinging down, hanging upside down to better access the light. He seems to be sticking to the beam with a bit of magnetism of his own. In fact, he directed some of the nanites in his systems to generate an electromagnetic charge, allowing him to stick to the beam.

"I'm sure you're wondering how I tracked your progress in here, too," he continues as he carefully unscrews the broken light bulb from its socket. "You were pretty damn fast, I have to say, but I have some...modifications of my own that allow abilities beyond those of a normal fur. Reflexes and movement speed are part of that." He pulls himself upright on the beam and faces Dutch again. "Now what do you say we get down from here? I'll give you something to eat and drink, if you want, and we can talk a bit more."
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Dutch was absolutely enthused by the news. To think he had stumbled upon one of the creators this far away fro his release point! He wanted to dance in place, but kept the magnets on so his fur bottomed feet wouldn't slip off the near frictionless to fur surface that metal often war. When the wolf slid over the edge, the rabbit followed, crawling around to the underside again to watch his co-creator at work. Then he skittered back up ontop, almost completely ignoring gravity. The excited bunny sat back on his haunched, feet still stuck to the beam, and grinned up at the wolf. Never had he ever felt so safe, with exception of the time spent with the one who had been charged with caring for him when he returned. "Yes yes! I've been very lucky in my travels! I've helped many people who have done good to me and to others, and I've been lucky enough to only have had to punish those weasels!" He wiggled his tail pom with delight, still unable to calm down.

At first Dutch was going to say something about the wolf having quick eyes, but clicked his mouth shut when his speed was mentioned. "Nyahaha, yeah, pretty fast..." Black ears folded back, but the grin was kept. It was obvious the rabbit was guilty of something, as he did so poorly to conceal it. Dutch wasn't used to omitting data, as rules were something he found helpful in his constantly changing life. They gave the stability that was so often lacking in the star hopper's life. "Yes-yes!" They came out like spit fire. "I'd like that alot!" The black and white loaf of rabbit wiggles his tail pom and smiles wider, hoping it's enough to cover up his guilty eyes and ears.

"There are so many questions I have for you, but I understand you probably aren't allowed to answer most of them. It was explained to me in my dreams. Nyeck, how did they do that, any ways? I never had a dream to my self! Would I have dreamed while sedated, though?" The rabbit forgot his guilt, starting to turn inwards to try and answer his own questions. All it would take was one question as to the guilt, and he'd be right back again.

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Post by DamonMcLarren » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:38 pm

Blackjack grins down at the excited little rabbit as he stands up. "Well then, come on and follow me down. I think there are some customers that are waiting for me to come back."

He takes off easily across the beams, heading for the massive center column that he climbed to get up there. I wonder what the little guy's hiding? he wonders, thinking about the look on the duct runner's face. He descends the ladder quickly with the broken bulb-end held in his teeth, tossing it in the garbage once he reaches the ground. Sliding the counter back into place, he looks back up to follow Dutch's own progress down to the bar.

Once the little rabbit arrives, Blackjack taps his temple. "The dreams were one of the procedures I oversaw. What we..." He pauses for a split second, quickly sorting the old data from the Duct Runner Project - memories, experiment data, scientists' journals on the endeavor - into a more accessible format for the way he thought before continuing. "There are ways of connecting directly to the nervous system and implanting information, such as dreams, memories, muscle memory, and other things. How we do it, however, is Top Secret. I'll be right back, sit tight..."

He walks down to a corner of the bar to help a green furred fox with four tails, who orders some food. Blackjack puts his apron back on and goes over to the grill, motioning the bunny over to sit on a shelf next to where he was working. After all, the rabbit would be a lot cleaner than any feral rabbit ever had been, being able to sentiently think about hygiene, so having him sit on a shelf near food wouldn't be a problem. The biomechanical wolf then reaches down into a cooler and pulls out a pawful of meat. As soon as he picks it up, he knows the exact weight, 1/3 lb., and he shapes it into a patty quickly and throws it on the grill. "So, after I'm done making this burger, what can I get you to eat. Anything in particular you like?" As the patty begins to cook, he lays out the buns and condiments on the prep-counter, getting a couple slices of cheese ready to throw on the burger.

This cooking process might seem odd to Dutch if he had ever watched how other restaurants cooked their food. Most used quick-cook technology, which cooked things perfectly in mere seconds. The food, however, usually lacked flavor or finesse. There are things that a chef can do to food to either enhance the flavor or change it completely that can only be done while cooking, and that means doing it the old fashioned way. Blackjack, being a classically trained chef, prefers this. This fact is exemplified by the sign above the bar saying "Good food takes time, please be patient."
Last edited by DamonMcLarren on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

Ziger
Baron

Oh my god, I did not mean for it to be that long! D=

Post by Ziger » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Dutch leaned over the edge of the beam where the ladder met it. For a bipedal creature such as Blackjack, it was no problem to scale a ladder, one foot after the other to go up or down. For Dutch, who's limbs could only just reach each rung, with a minimum on safety, it was a challenge every time. He had three options. The first was to use his magnets at high intensity, and go slow, one rung at a time, curling his feet around each circular bar so as to not loose his grip and fall all the way to the ground. The second was to vary magnet strength, slide down one side of the ladder, and hope friction didn't cut through his fur and feet. If he managed magnetic strength correctly, it was doable in a safe manner. The third option was to climb down the same way he had gotten up. Wanting to show a creator something to be proud of, he took option two. After all, if he showed nothing but caution, the wolf might think him not brave enough to perform in the high stress environment of a ship under fire!

Dutch turned himself around, and dusted the bar with his tail before backing down one of the two horizontal bars. Once safely lined up for a clean ride down, he eased the power off the feet magnets, and began the descent. At first it was slow going, so the rabbit eased off more, but then he was going too fast, plummeting towards the floor below. The magnets cranked up with the heart rate of the foot long black and white torpedo, and friction ate at the fur on the bottom of his paws. Dutch closed his eyes tight and clenched his jaw, whining quietly, afraid to see how close he was to hitting the ground. Finally he opened them, and did the equivalence of blushing or a rabbit, pressing his head down between his shoulders. He climbed off the bar, having come to a stop so close to the ground that his tail had been dusting the floor.

Bashful of his own act, the little one skittered across the floor, and then with a few leaps and some more heavy magnet use, he managed to scale the counter. At the sudden flow of data to his little head, ears perked straight up, angled toward the strangely soothing accent and voice. 'Muscle memory, too?' Dutch flexed his paw, grinning at the thought. Not thinking, he added a little tidbit to the end of the story as the wolf walked away. "So that must be how they suppressed the urge to mate... spectacular!" Dutch basked in the glow of new found knowledge and the warmth it gave him. It was truly a wonderful thing to him, learning. He began to examine himself anew, wondering if they had modified the pleasure centers to make him seek out knowledge more actively, or if that was just his own personal quirk.

Little feet skittered across the polished counter surface, making Dutch smile nervously at his own lack of traction. 'Why aren't my magnets working? Must be stone, or something.' He skid to a stop dangerously close to the cooking surface, quickly backing up to keep away from the heat, and the raw meat. The rabbit was adapting quickly to the new chore of a tractionless environment, as most surfaces on ships were metal, or metal backed. Walking on his nails, instead of the fur bottomed feet, seemed to work best. Little pink slit sniffer was covered at the smell of meat cooking. As a sentient 'prey animal', Dutch was highly sensitive to the thought of eating other animals, even if he was capable of it in the most dire of situations. That was more a moral based hurtle than physical, though.

"Nyeh... Food?" Little nose and tail wiggled in synchronous at the thought. "I probably don't have to tell you that I've been 'configured' to find nutrition in the oddest of forms, but Master Gr-" Dutch felt his stomach lurch into his throat at the thought of almost spitting out his care taker's name so easily, when he had been specifically not to tell any one. Ears wilted on either side of rabbit head, and he continued the sentence with the omission of the name. "Master always gave us these colored pastes depending on how well we were doing." Dutch thought back, and tried to determine if the food was reward based, or need based. He never thought to scan it for the difference between colors. Maybe the blue had different nutrients than the red, in case of malnutrition on return. The thoughts were shook out, and the rabbit sat quizzically thinking over the many things he had eaten in the past. "I don't know what to ask for... I usually don't steal from food stores, even on the worst hosts' vessels, and I'm sure asking for wire coverings wouldn't be a healthy choice.

Put off by his lack of such personal knowledge about himself, Dutch flopped out rather limply on the surface, watching the creator at work. A tiny grin crossed white furred lips at a thought. 'I wonder if my creation was as dramatic and beautiful as this meal... Nah, I was probably a bleeder.' Short ears twitched and flicked, seemingly like a feral's would. A different cause was behind Dutch's movements, though. Unlike most of the other rabbits from the project, Dutch could receive radio signals like spoken words. He was trying to catch the signal from his broken exosuit, safely stashed away in a place he thought no one would look.

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Dude, length is never an inhibition :3

Post by DamonMcLarren » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Blackjack watched Dutch's descent down the ladder and shook his head when the rabbit almost went nose-first into the floor.

"Fer future reference, ya prolly shouldn't climb down like tha' when ya could have jus' run down the beam," he says while Dutch is thinking about his food, flipping the burger over. The grease sizzles in the flames below. "Tha' coulda been fatal in a more dangerous environment, like a ship." He smiles and scratches Dutch lightly between the ears to show he's not mad. "I don' blame ya fer tryin' ta show off a little, but remember tha' caution is always a good thing if there's a danger of personal injury, especially when ya can do somethin' jus' as quickly an' precisely in a safer way."

He takes a second from the burger to grab a washed carrot and a leaf of Romaine lettuce out of a cooler, setting them on a plate in front of Dutch. "I almost guarantee tha' you'll like this..." He blinks, realizing that he had never introduced himself, and neither did the little bunny. "My name is Blackjack, by th' way. Ya can call me Jack if ya want."

Blackjack finishes grilling the burger and assembles it, wrapping it in butcher paper and taking it over to the fox, who pays and leaves. Someone else get his attention though, and Dutch gets to see him quickly mix a Pina Colada to-go for a snow leopard with pink spots and rings instead of grey and floppy, lop eared rabbit-like ears. When he walks back over to Dutch, he leans against the counter and crosses his arms over his chest, sighing a bit. "Up in th' rafters, ya seemed like ya were guilty of somethin', like ya didn't tell me somethin' fer some reason. What was tha' about?"
Last edited by DamonMcLarren on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

Ziger
Baron

I swear I'm not trying to show you up! I'm Just excited! D=

Post by Ziger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:41 pm

The small rabbit took the words like a performance review of a desk job, but with a bit more emotional investment at stake. There was nothing better in his little enhanced mind than sneaking around in a med bay air vent, or over hearing a couple talking, and hearing stories about his, or his counterparts', and how they saved the lives of this crewman, or this group, or that ship. Coming in close second was making the people who had invested so much time, money, skill and expertise in making the wonder rabbit what he is today, as happy as can be with their creation. Little head bobbed up and down, accepting the words of 'caution over show' and taking them to heart. "Forgive me, creator! I only wanted to show you how far I've come from losing power to my magnets when something a simple as a sneeze overcame my senses!" Dutch was proud of how far his control had come. He wished there was a zero gravity environment in which he could show his omni-skilled new friend how he'd figured out how to manipulate free floating objects with the magnets in his feet.

A look of surprise set on the black and white masked face of the rabbit, wiggly pink sniffer giving a go at the vegetables before a test nibble was initiated. It was strange to think that neither of these foods were things he had seen in space, or at least, in these formats. Dutch had a habit of picking the most torn up low class ancient vessels to ride around in. He always had the best of intentions, of course! Patch some wiring here, reseat loose circuitry there, reroute vital power boosts to what ever system needed it most, these were all things he did for them. That, and look through the systems to see where the ship lies on the evolutionary time line of space vessels. Dutch chirped and fidgeted in place, ears shooting straight up at the name. "Creator Jack? I am 'Data Utility Seven, Catch Four,' but master just calls me Dutch! He says that that is what my name spells on his data pad when you take the first letter of each word, and use the numbers in this old script he likes." Skillfully the rabbit gnawed the characters into the carrot, then quickly gnaws the lettuce to bits with an approving churr. "See?" DU7C4 was carved into one side of the carrot. "I don't get it either!"

Content that the wolf had seen the designation as it was written out on the root, it was quickly demolished, leaving behind nothing but a content and filled belly as evidence. Dutch watched with great anticipation as Jack walked away, seeming to inspect every movement and gesture as that of a deity, or a parent. To a 'child', what is the difference? The wide expectant grin for the return quickly melted into a nervous submissive smile, hearing the question, but not wanting to lie to some one so important. "Eheh..." The laughter fell cold as the rabbit tried to shrink himself down atop the counter, ears laying back. "I'm... not what my profile says I am." The words turned from nervous, to sad, trailing off at the end. "I broke a rule, an important one. We're supposed to return to the master if we sustain damage above the which our own training is inadequate to repair. I... didn't." Dutch curled around to wrap his arms around one of his hind legs. After a certain angle, the leg made a mechanical clicking noise.

"I was on a vessel that was out for research, and was mistaken for smugglers. The ship wasn't that far from home, so, when they opened fire, I figured I could give the crew more time to get to the escape shuttles by connecting the power coupler from the life support systems, since they weren't going to be there long enough to need it any ways, directly into the auxiliary power port on the converter that used electricity to harden the alloy plates on the outside of the ship. When I made the connection, it arced. I was blown clear through a vent cover, and into a little girl's room." Dutch whined softly up at Jack, eyes closed now. "A piece of metal from the vent cover went from one side of my hip, clear out the other! That little girl though... some how she knew what I did. She wrapped me up in a towel, carried me off on a shuttle, and when they got back, told the medical bay crew I was her pet, and that they had to fix my injuries, or her father would be very angry." Dutch made soft little sounds of worry. "The rules say that under no circumstances are we to submit to enhancements outside those done to us under the care of master, that we can never let any one know that it is us who makes these things happen, and that we are never to be captured." Little forehead touched counter top. "I've broken all these rules. The enhancements are why I'm so fast, but I swear, it is only the hip and ball joints that were replaced!" He began to plead. "Please, Creator Jack, understand my position. I've done my best to follow every rule as instructed since my release."

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Post by DamonMcLarren » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:29 pm

Blackjack nods at Dutch when he describes his name and its origins, grabbing a used order slip and a pen. "I understand that script, and can show you. It's actually pretty easy." He begins to scribble on the notepad, ending up with this:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
| | | | | | | | | |
I Z E A S G T B P O
-or-
L Q - H - - - R - -

________

DU7C4
DUTCH

"This is a translation of the script, which was called leet," he explains. "It replaces known letters with numbers that look like them, and is purely a written language, as the words sound the same either way." He lays the paper on the counter for Dutch to look at if he wanted.

Leaning back against the counter, Blackjack frowns a bit as Dutch tells the story of his injury. Once he's done, the wolf looks down at the bunny and shrugs. "From what it sounds like, the circumstances were beyond your control. The connection arced and blew you backwards, and you sustained an injury which you could not readily fix yourself, and that would harm you greatly and possibly even kill you if you had tried to wait to return to your Master. The injury was debilitating, and severly limited your mobility, so you could not help but to get captured. I've paid close enough attention to the continuations of the project to know that no harm has come from your actions, so I shouldn't think there is anything to worry about.

"Now," he continues, "does that injury pain you at all? Is there anything wrong with it?" Blackjack pings Dutch with his 4Didar scanner, getting a look at exactly what has been done to him, discarding all the enhancements that he himself put in and focusing in on the 'aftermarket' hip and ball joint, looking at its construction and whether or not there is anything wrong with it.
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:30 pm

Dutch leaned up slightly, still rather down that he had failed the rules on so many accounts, as Jack explained the name translation. It was something new to Dutch, who was usually excited by new information, and was, but had to hide it. Little purple eyes scan over the page, making notes of the translation of letters and numbers, and trying to think back to see if it had ever been used before in his presence. He could think of nothing.

Dutch cringed as the wolf went on to explain the rules, expecting a stark, merciless and scientific judgement. He expected to be berated on his inability to stop the accident from happening in the first place. To his surprise, he slowly relaxed, listening to the logical explanation that was given. If any one else had tried to explain to Dutch how his breaking of the rules was warranted, he would have told them that they don't understand, and explained to them the perfection of the rules in their entirety. Slowly a grin crept across the black and white rabbit's face, and even his tail joined in, giving a few gleeful flicks. 'The creators truly are -perfect-!'

The little rabbit shuttered as the 4-didar swept through him. It was usual, yes, but the added ability to 'hear' radio signals had given him the ability to semi-sense 4-didar as well. It gave the rabbit a chill every time. The ping would show a little bit more than just the hip present in the body. Along with the motorized joint, which, after two years now, the bearings had worn down, and caused the socket to grind and click, as Dutch had shown Jack earlier, a great deal of loose metal was stuck inside him. It looked like several grenades had gone off near him, embedding tiny fragments of metal through out the tiny body. These were most likely the result of being on board vessels under attack, like the previous story, or from getting stuck with crumbling and jagged pieces of ship. It was also possible some one had fired on him, and missed with the direct hit, but hit with the ricochet.

"I'm over joyed to hear those words from you, Creator Jack!" Dutch got to his feet. "We had always thought the Creators to be near perfect beings to create us, and give us life and intelligence, but never before had it been confirmed!" Little head bowed till it touched the counter top. "You are truly worthy of the praise the others sing of you and the others, those that we remember, but don't." After a long pause, he sat back down, head raised to look up at what he probably saw as a god now. "Yes, it does cause discomfort at times. It feels like I'm walking through sand when I go slow, and some times it discharges electricity, making me numb from the hips down." He wiggled his hips, and then winced, as the very thing happened right then and there. The motorized hip was breaking down from the heavy use it had received. It was in need of a replacement now, if not sooner.

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Post by DamonMcLarren » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:37 pm

Blackjack blinked at what the 4Didar scan had shown him, quickly assessing the full extent of the damage done and in progress. "Wow. That's actually some rather old tech in your hip, older than the tech we used to create you by about 200 years. Still, it's effective to a point, I suppose." He looked down at Dutch. "Tell you what, I have someone coming in to relieve me for a bit. I'll have to come back in after five to handle dinner and such, but I have five hours free. What do you say I take you back to my home and get that fixed. I still keep up with my scientific work, even if it does go at a slightly slower pace now, and I have all the equipment necessary to fix your hip and remove the shrapnel from you. To make it better, there wont be any surgery, just a needle."

Blackjack blushes at the high praise that Dutch gives him, the insides of his ears turning a little red. "Dutch, I'm nowhere near perfect. I'll explain more to you later, once we're in a more private place, but I have my flaws, just like anyone else." He looked around the bar for a moment. "You can follow me around the bar as I work as long as you stay on that shelf and don't knock anything breakable or spill able over. There should be enough room for you to move around." He points to a shelf above the counter with different things on it, but certainly enough room on it for the little rabbit to move around.

As Blackjack walks around to the other side of the center island, the music changes to something softer, played on an acoustic guitar. He walks over to the stove, where a large pot is simmering over a low flame, and takes the lid off, smelling the steam. There is chili brewing in the pot, Blackjack's own recipe that he's developed over a long period of time into something spectacular.

Aside from the large, rowdy, and insanely popular live shows that it hosts, Voyages is known for its food. Blackjack, on top of his multitude of other skills, is a trained gourmet chef, and takes pride in serving what is reputed to be some of the best food on the coloney.
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack