Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

A Good Life (Dmitri, various) (Restarted) (Open)

This is where all of the Age of Space role-plays are archived.
Ziger
Baron

Re: A Good Life (Dmitri, various) (Restarted) (Open)

Post by Ziger » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:58 pm

It was a bit embracing to know that the contents of his hip, when compared to the rest of his body, was the equivalence of an Amiga computer nestled in between two blade servers, or like having a black powder rifle racked between two laser pistols. Tail tuft twitched with anxiety at the thought. 'They must have treated me like nothing more then a pet!' Dutch made an angry face at the thought, but quickly wiped it away so as not to confuse the Creator. Still, the thought loomed like an angry little cloud in his mind. "Master always said the only real downside to surgery was the recovery time." Dutch checked himself over. "I vaguely remember the surgeries that made me what I am. I never felt a thing!" Dutch leaned on his hip, trying to get the feeling back. There was a soft muffled 'clack', and the small rabbit made an awkward face. "Nyurr, maybe I should just lay down on the shelf instead. I'm unsure of how much dexterity I'll have to move around with."

With careful slow movements, the black and white bunny got into place on the shelf at a comfortable position. He wasn't too close to the stove, where he'd get food fumes, or wafts of discomforting heat and steam, but he wasn't so far away he couldn't talk to the Creator when he was near. Dutch lay down, one leg tucked under him to hide the funny angle at which it rest. It had been a long time since the rabbit had felt safe with any one, and he took note of how fine a feeling it was, and how much easier it was to sit in one place. "Yes, I think I'll just lay here for a bit. I'm sorry, Creator Jack, but I think I broke it..." He fidgeted on his side until he could extend the awkwardly positioned leg. "I still can't feel a thing down there, thanks to that shock, but I know this will hurt later."

Sponsor

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw
Species: wolf

Post by DamonMcLarren » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Blackjack nods at the recovery time comment, wagging his tail a little as he takes a taste of the chili, throwing the spoon in the Insta-Cleen unit. "The recovery time, and the fact that incised tissue never heals without at least a little scarring. I've gotten enough scars in my lifetime to know." He winces when he hears the clack of the hip breaking, and notices the way that Dutch starts holding it. He helps him up onto the shelf, and nods when Dutch says he broke it. "Machinery wears out, just like anything else, and I imagine that you put a lot of wear on it." He thinks for a second, then puts a teakettle on the stove to boil some water in. "I'm going to make you some herb tea that will stave the pain off for a while. I can't promise that it will taste great, but by the time it wears off there won't be any pain left to feel."

A customer calls him over, and he mixes a couple of quick drinks for them. By the time he gets back, the small amount of water is almost boiling, and he puts some herbs in a small take-out bowl, pouring the water over them and letting them steep.

A black tiger with lime green stripes, blue chest fur, and large, white, blue tipped feathered wings walks through the movable section of the bar at that point and grabs an apron, putting it on. You would notice that he has a wolf-like tail, as well. "Jack, I'm here!" he says, walking around the bar to where Blackjack is standing.

The wolf smiles at the tiger. "Morning, Zach," he says as he puts a lid on the little bowl of tea and fills a larger bowl with chili for his lunch. "I have a few things to take care of, so I'm going to head out. There'll probably be a decent lunch rush today, so be prepared to be decently busy. Asheru is on call if you need her help, though she's scheduled to come in at four. Think you can handle it?"

The tiger nods and smiles at Blackjack. "Of course, you've left me in charge before, you know that."

Blackjack smiles back at him. "Yeah, but people have off days. You seem to be feeling pretty good, though, so I'm taking off. I'll see you at five." Expertly balancing the two bowls in one paw, he carefully picks Dutch up in the other and cradles the little rabbit against his chest, walking out of the bar. The music becomes inaudible after the door closes behind him, and he heads down the street.

A holo-image of a sunny, cloudless day is projected above them, hiding the ceiling of the giant cavern, providing the illusion of being outside. It even generated safe-to-look-at daylight, and the sun moving across the sky changed the direction of said light. To further enhance the effect, the ventilation and oxygen generation systems could create a slight breeze, and could even control which way the breeze was blowing by switching which vent ports were open and closed. These things were designed to help the citizens of the former colony deal with living underground for extended periods of time.
"When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look, but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown, the dream is gone
And I have become comfortably numb"
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Dutch ends up rolling onto his back, fearing further damage to the surrounding tissue if he tried using, or leaning on the leg at all. He stays rather quiet, laying on the shelf among the items used for what ever purpose they held. The rabbit couldn't help but think it odd that no one had complained about him being so near to where food was prepared. Jack knew he was a pretty clean rabbit, and Dutch knew, since he enjoyed grooming himself, but how could the customers know. 'They must be assuming I'm completely fabricated. It would make sense, since most of the people look like they're custom machines.' Dutch fidgeted when Jack moved to help the customer to a drink, trying to keep at least one purple eye on the Creator at all times. He pouted when he ended up rolling onto his back again, carefully righting himself to lay on his stomach again. The malfunctioning leg dangled off the edge of the shelf.

"Flavor has never been a problem for me, Creator Jack. When you must find food on ships most inhospitable, even to the regular occupants, you'll find that the tongue stops caring to perform its duties." The small rabbit forced a smile for the wolf, not wanting him to think the small critter in too much discomfort. If any thing, it was the thought of broken metal inside him, grinding into heaven knows what, that bothered him the most. Dutch's attention shifted with the wolf's, looking up at the oddly colored tiger. The colors made the duct runner giggle, coaxing a full grin out of him. The cat reminded him of an energy cell, and for some reason, the rabbit was imagining a cross between the two. In his imagination, a green striped plasma cell twitched cat ears near the positive side, and mewed at him. Little black paws clasped over the end of bunny muzzle, muffling the laughter.

Normally such a stranger would elicit a frightened response from the bunny, but Jack seemed comfortable with his presence, which put him at ease. Short ear stalks, well, short compared to other species any ways, twitched and listened to the two talk. It was then that a realization struck him like a paper air plane in the ear. 'Creator is a great scientific researcher and inventor, obviously. Why does he continue to work here? I can understand why master lives where he does. He has to take care of a herd of rabbits, after all!' Dutch gave one last look to the tiger as he was scooped up by Jack, watching the cat disappear from view over his shoulder as the pair left the building. Dutch turned and looked up at Jack, meaning to ask him a question.

Dutch shook violently against Jack's chest, like he'd just been slapped in the face with an open palm. Eye lids closed tight and little body trembled. His eyes had been modified to tell the difference between real life, and any digital display a computer, hologram, or projector might show, which is why they were purple, instead of a more natural color. "Nyah! Creator! Please, fix the refresh rate! The light is scaring me!" Tiny arms fought for something to wrap around, but could find nothing small enough. To Dutch, the pretty sky and other scenery were a flickering mess. First one fraction would be visible, then it would go dark, and another segment would light up, hundreds of times a second. This was quite similar to the effect of a screen flickering between the colors of the spectrum rapidly, giving the small rabbit a head ache. Black and white furred head tucked in against the wolf, shielding the tightly closed lids.

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Post by DamonMcLarren » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:27 pm

Blackjack blinks a bit when Dutch freaks out at the outside lite, and then realizes why, as the eyes were one of the other modifications he oversaw on the Duct Runners. Balancing the bowls of hot liquid carefully on his head, he pulls a shirt out of his back pocket and drapes it over Dutch's face. "Calm down, Dutch," he says softly. "Keep your head under there until we get to my home, it's not far. I'll upgrade your eyes after I fix your hip." He continues on his way, taking the bowls back off his head.

About two minutes later, Blackjack turns off the street towards a house that looks like a couple of enlongated igloos connected together.1 It has a small yard with real grass, and what looks like a motorcycle from a few hundred years before sitting in the driveway.2 It is actually only a couple of years old, and runs on hydrogen, creating only water vapor as exhaust. Blackjack had it custom built to look like and give nearly the same performance aspects as a Ducati crotch rocket from around the year 2010.3 He had liked the design back then, and liked it now.

The cavern was most definitely large enough to warrant vehicles, the outsides of it being given over to enough farmland to feed every fur on the colony, followed by a ring of "country" homes, followed by suburbia, then thriving metropolis at the center. The diameter of the cavern was approximately 20 miles, and the outer roads were usually rather good for a ride, as they were less populated.

Blackjack sends a wireless signal to the front door, which clicks open so that he can push through it without having to use the handle, and goes inside. He shuts the door behind him, cutting off the view of the holograms. "Alright, Dutch, you can take the shirt off your face now," he says. "Welcome to my home."

2. Think of this as a kind of suburbanish area, with some space between the houses and actual yards and such. They've done a really good job creating the illusion of living outside, instead of in a giant cavern. :3 To the point where they actually have simulated weather, though the weather program is announced as fact instead of forecast, so people can plan their days around it. Thought that was kind of a cool idea.
3. http://www.paddockreport.com/wp-content ... hter_s.jpg :D
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:59 pm

The little one was quite thankful for the cloth cover. He had forgotten that his eyes were calibrated just so, and when he had run from the two weasels, he never thought to look up. Dutch could only think to run, then. Now, he could only thing to cling, since sight was incapacitated for the time being. "Upgrade, my eyes?" Dutch made a face beneath the cover of the shirt, confused by the statement. The rabbit had remembered that his eyes had no circuits, no metal to speak of, and that the modification was completely on a biological level. Ear twitched beneath the cloth, making it shake once or twice. 'Maybe he has something that can tune the refresh rate of my eyes. I know regular eyes work at sixty hertz, and that mine are off by a few just to make displays obvious, but... nyeh, how can he 'upgrade' them?'

Obviously, Jack's body had fooled the bunny. It isn't too surprising. None of the duct runners were allowed to 'know' their creators, only what bits and pieces they got through the dreams, when they were being taught the equivalence of college level electric engineering, physics, both the astral and general varieties, and a large variety of other intellectual pursuits that were deemed, 'necessary and proper' for the project. The shirt came off, with Jack's approval, and Dutch rubbed at his little eyes to adjust to the new lighting. It was dark under there, don't you know! "Nya! Is much easier for my eyes now, Creator Jack! Thank you again for every thing you have done, and every thing will do." Little head pivoted all about on his shoulders, trying to view every corner of the home as best he could. Dutch had expected bright white rooms, with all sorts of special scientific equipment, to be the home of some one who had done as much as Jack must have done on the duct runner project.

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Post by DamonMcLarren » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:19 pm

The home is in fact quite the opposite from what the little rabbit expects. The living room that is first entered upon coming into the house is warm, furnished in a much older style than the outside of the house would suggest. The dark green walls are filled with in-set bookcases built out of dark-stained hickory specially imported from Felia when the colony was first being built, more specifically from Gawain, before space travel was cut off. While the colony has several hydroponic tree farms and two sawmills on its outskirts that supply all its lumber needs as well as producing a brisk boost in inter-colony trade, Blackjack had had to have the wood for his house imported, as the farms weren't in place at the time he was building it. A lush rug carpets the likewise imported hardwood floors, and an intricate painting takes up the curved ceiling. A small, comfy looking couch and two armchairs with footstools are placed against two of the walls. What the living room is almost completely lacking in is obvious tech, though there is a reason for this. Having what is essentially a computer for a brain, Blackjack can watch television or holo-casts or listen to music right in head head. He uses the living room for relaxing and reading. There is a doorway leading off the rear wall of the living room.

Separating the living room from the kitchen is a small breakfast nook that also serves as a counter for the cook. As the wolf walks past it and into the kitchen proper, Dutch would see real tile floors, oak cabinets, synthetic granite counter tops, and creamy beige walls. Here, though, technology is more prevalent. A hydrogen stove range and oven is placed in the center island along with a food sink, the main sink being in the counter on the far wall. Also along the walls are a super-efficient refrigerator/freezer, an Insta-Cleen unit for the dishes, and a convection-oven stack. There are also all sorts of updated appliances on the counters and in the cupboards, as well as a bunch of older-fashioned utensils and dishes.

Blackjack sets you carefully down on the counter, then sets the tea and chili down on the center island, taking the lid off the tea and adding a couple of ice cubes to it from the freezer. After testing it and making sure that its cooled off, he sets the little bowl of tea in front of you. "Drink this, and then we'll go and get you fixed up," he says, opening his bowl of chili and beginning to eat his own lunch.
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

Ziger
Baron

You're going to hate me for this! D=

Post by Ziger » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:47 pm

A great deal of confusion swirled around inside Dutch's head, along with the dizzying effect of the numbness wearing off from the electric shock earlier, and the gradual throb pulsing from his hip. Slowly he felt energy leaving his little body. He tried to go over the facts in his head, trying to diagnose himself. The problem was, as Dutch had yet to come to terms with, as much as he wished to be like the computers that did their jobs around the ships, the computers he often tapped into, or maintained, he wasn't one. Through all the modifications, he was still just a little rabbit, and little rabbits were frail. His bones were stronger than any feral rabbit's, of course, imbued with ceramic and who knows what else to enhance their durability, but flesh is flesh, and flesh is soft.

Dutch lay down infront of the bowl, staring at it for a moment before the words registered. He focused hard to make his world stop spinning for a few moments, carefully lowering his head nearer the liquid, before finally taking a few laps. Little rabbit smiled as he lapped, eyes slowly drooping as his head slowly lowered closer and closer. He'd managed to get through maybe half of it, completely loss to his senses, when the bunny went limp. Little head dropped, flipping the bowl on its side and dumping the rest of the soup on himself and the counter. Tiny body shivered and shook, eyes drooped almost shut, bunny unconscious.

The mechanized hip had been built for a pet rabbit, nothing more. Unfortunately, in this day and age, it was thought that if you want a more permanent pet, you purchased one from the nearest robotics store. Otherwise, pets lasted as long as they always had, a fraction of the life span any two legged version enjoyed. Metal meshed with flesh at the hip, chewing it to bits as electric motor, powered by body heat, tried to move a limb it was no longer attached to. Dutch was bleeding inside, compliments of a bearing shot from the socket by the torque of the machine snapping while in use. There was no warning, no sign, no effect, until now.

It was a slow bleed, which is why the rabbit had only just now passed out, but it was enough to be life threatening if something wasn't done sooner, rather than later.

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Holy crap that took forever to write D:

Post by DamonMcLarren » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:50 pm

~0.005 min. after Dutch passes out~

As soon as Dutch passes out, Blackjack pings him with his 4Didar scanner. "Shit..." he mutters when he see the amount of internal damage. "You are not gonna die on me taday..." He picks the unconcious Dutch up, being careful to hold him so that the least amount of internal damage is done, carries him in through the door off the living room, through a comfortable bedroom and into a very clean, antiseptic, yet still comfortable laboratory.

It seems that everything is older-fashioned in this house, the lab having actual wood counters to work on, though they are heavily lacquered and polished to provide a sterile work surface. The Hi-Sof tech in the lab, and it is indeed worth of the title, is integrated seamlessly into the antique looking lab. Optional holographic and haptic interfaces are contained within every work surface for scientists aside from Blackjack, linked to the lab's main computer. The main computer itself is housed underneath the fume-hood, and other pieces of machinery were housed where they were most useful. There was also a full supply of equipment for manual, non-computer assisted experiments, making this small lab one of the best equipped on the colony.

~1.023 min. after Dutch passes out~

Blackjack lays Dutch on his side on a flat table, already in the process of interfacing with the lab's main computer. He worked fast. He knew he had a limited amount of time until Dutch died, and cursed himself for not re-scanning Dutch after the little bunny said he broke the hip mechanism. Luckily, the tea would act like a sedative, preventing any pain from getting though. As he initiates several different processes via the main hub, a couple different machines in the lab begin to hum quietly. He preps a specialized injection-gun, laying it on the table next to the little bunny, ready to receive a special vial.

~2.290 min. after Dutch passes out~

The Hi-Sof1 computer fed him a constant stream of information through the wireless link he shared with it, updating him constantly on the progress of the nanite building process. As soon as their amounts reached a certain level, which would happen in approximately 15.736 seconds, he would remove a small amount of "builderbots" from the collective mass of them for later use, wipe the building program from the rest, re-weaponize the rest with a new program, and inject them into Dutch.

Once inside the little bunny, the nanites will integrate into Dutch's system, syncing with and updating the older nanites already contained within Dutch's nervous system. They will take minuscule samples of Dutch's DNA and integrate it with their programming via wireless interface with the main computer. Then, they will get to work on Dutch's body, breaking down any foreign material on a molecular level and re-shaping it into something more akin to what is actually supposed to be there. The re-formed hip and leg bones, along with the rest of Dutch's skeleton, will be stronger than they already were, yet lighter as well. All the shrapnel will be broken down and used for nutrition, and all the internal damage will be healed, brought back to the way Dutch's DNA says it should be. Any further injuries will be healed quite quickly. This will lengthen his lifespan quite a bit, though he can still be killed by too severe an injury, and age will eventually catch up to him. The nanites will also work on his eyes. He was right in that the change in the eyes was a completely biological one, and the nanites, aside from the addition of themselves, keep it that way. They will add the ability to initiate a chemical change within the rabbit's eyes, allowing him to switch the frequency his eyes saw at. When this switch is made, however, Dutch's eyes will turn a different color, either purple, blue, or green.

The project that made Dutch was near the beginning of Blackjack's nanotech research, back when he himself was still, for the most part, a fully organic being. The specialized nanites in the implants in Dutch's brain are what allow him sapience, as well as the mental control of the SmartMagnetsTM in his feet. The project's success led quickly into him beginning nanotech experimentation on himself, leading him to become the fully synthetic being he is. Further beyond this, Blackjack's research on the subject is what brought about some of the more advanced body modifications seen on the Dmitri colonies such as extra limbs, as the nanites allow the brain modifications necessary for a fur to control the extra limbs with any decent amount of dexterity at a fraction of the cost of mechanical implants.

2.784 min. after Dutch passes out

A metal-reinforced glass vial pops up through a hole in the counter, the nanites contained within it properly programed to begin fixing Dutch as soon as they are inserted into his body. Blackjack takes the vial and inserts it into the specialized injection gun. There is a hissing noise, then a sharp, metallic click! as the wolf pushes a button and a long, rather thick looking needle pops out of the nose of the gun. He inserts the needle carefully into Dutch's rump and injects the nanites, giving them a very short way to travel to begin repairing the most severe damage. The needle gets dropped into a hazardous waste container, the vial goes back into the machine it came from to get sterilized and prepped for another use, and the gun itself gets put back into its carrying case. Now, it would be a simple waiting game.

Last edited by DamonMcLarren on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

Ziger
Baron

It might have taken you a while, but your post is awsome! =D

Post by Ziger » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:40 pm

In essence, Dutch had just received a complete overhaul of his systems. The little rabbit was a great deal older than his appearance, or personality, let on. What was once old, was now new again. What was once broken, was now repaired. Some might compare the nanites to the fountain of youth, for what they had done for Dutch in this mear minute or two. It was no wonder the wolf was essentially made from them.

The mechanical hip was gone, replaced by a real one that was probably more efficient, though not as fast as the motor powered counterpart. The wound was closed, almost as if it had never happened in the first place. The blood was reintroduced into the correct system, removed from where it had pooled in the body. Normal recovery time for an injury like this would be days, if not weeks, and the unconsciousness would last until enough blood could be introduced through intravenous pouches to replace what had been lost. Dutch began to wake only ten minutes after every thing was said and done.

The small body began to stir slowly, starting with a flexing paw, and moving to a more controlled breathing. The tiny rabbit, still laying on his side, rolled his head to look up. Slowly the freshly altered eyes opened, adjusting to the light. It was bright to him, glowing soft white and covering all of his vision. Then the shadow of the wolf leaned over him, the shape outlined in the soft white light. Little eyes suddenly went wide, and tiny little whimper escaped him. An image came to mind, a painting, in fact. The stories he had heard, too, were the first thing he thought. "Space Angel..." Dutch mumbled before closing his eyes again. The lore that he had had the fortune to overhear said that space angels visit those in dire need, on the verge of death, and effectively do the job that Dutch often did, but more. The image he had seen displayed a space angel, hovering over a freezing crew member, lost in the void of space. She had a soft white glow about her that, in the picture, showed ice melting around her as she reached out to the dying space fur. That is what Dutch thought he saw.

The eyes opened again, and this time stayed on Blackjack until they focused, and adjusted to the light. The same wonder was still in those bright wide eyes. "Creator Jack, are you a Space Angel?" The duct runner slowly rolled onto his feet, hobbling at first as he adjusted to the new flesh, which would be most of his body. It would be slow for a little bit, but he would adjust with out a problem. The little one turned again to face Jack, looking up in amazement. "Was I created under the watch of a Space Angel?" It seemed that the wonder wolf would never be able to dispel the idea that he was an amazing deity, or in this case, an angel. Every thing seemed to point to him being one for Dutch.

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Dutch is so cute <3

Post by DamonMcLarren » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Blackjack smiles down at the little bunny, watching him get up, and laughing a little when Dutch asks him if he's a Space Angel. He shakes his head and picks Dutch up, gently feeling his hip and leg bones to make sure everything is in place, not feeling the need to scan him again. "No Dutch, I'm not a Space Angel," he says, scratching him in between his ears. "I'm just someone who's been around for a long time, and has the skills to show for it." He puts Dutch back down on the table. "Try moving around a bit, get used to having a normal hip again. I don't think that you'll be quite as fast as you were, but it'll be close."

Blackjack stands back to watch Dutch move around, leaning back against a counter. The newer tech that is now in Dutch is also contained in the newer generations of tech rabbits, making Dutch their equal or better, due to his already extensive experience. Blackjack had hopes that he would go back out and continue to do great things, but he also kind of hoped he might stick around for a while. He could use the tech help in the club, as he could only do so much by himself, and it would be nice to have someone different to talk to.
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:35 am

The rabbit considered what his savior, twice now, had said. Dutch was not quite sure Blackjack was telling the truth, but decided it was best not to say that. Uncomfortable grunts were uttered by the rabbit as the wolf felt over bunny pelvis, knowing why he was prodding at rabbit hips, but strangely uncomfortable with having some one making that much contact with him. It was a little awkward for the duct runner, who was forbade to make friends in 'the wild' and was only ever touched by his handler, who Dutch felt a strange connection to. The little rabbit did as commanded, hopping back and forth, going as fast as he could on the short stretch of the counter top. It was alot more comfortable for him to move now, the 'walking in sand' feeling that his ground down metal hip gave, was now gone. It was a pleasant change. The rabbit churred at the chance to test himself, and the new hardware. "Creator Jack! You must take me for a run to test me!" Little nose twitched, the black and white bunny sitting back on his haunches, arms resting against his front.

It had been a long long time since the rabbit had spent time with any one, even his handler. Since he had arrived, Jack had saved Dutch's tail twice, and treated him as nothing short of an equal. It was a kind of company that was lacking in the duct runner's life, and the black and white bunny was loving every minute of it. It will be hard for Dutch to leave the wolf, if just for the knowledge that he is one of the original creators. Eventually the drive for space travel would overcome the rabbit, and he would be off again, but for now, these paws were staying dirt bound. Dutch had alot of questions, and could do with some rest from the life, time, and adventures of the stealthy duct runners. Even with the programming the bunny brain had received, there was nothing that could be done to remove the need for companionship.

He looked down at the counter at a thought. "Creator Jack... I know that it is against the rules... but, I've been considered 'off the charts' for some time now, and served the desires of you and the other creators to the best of my abilities for so long past any expected age. May I... may I stay here for a while?" Purple eyes looked up at the wolf, wide with worry. He would have thought for sure that he'd be turned down, if not for the streak of things that Blackjack had done to point to the contrary. "I'm so very tired of being alone, and there is a great deal I can learn about people, and the technology that has been built around them while I'm here. I promise that if you accept my presence here, I will do my best to serve you, and to keep my impact to an absolute minimum. I'll do what ever I can, how ever I can, and make no excuses!"

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Holy crap. I think I got rid of my writers block X3

Post by DamonMcLarren » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:35 pm

Blackjack laughed at the little rabbit's enthusiasm to test himself. "We'll run when we go back to the bar," he said. "Now, however, I'm going to sit down and rest for a bit. If you want to hop down and follow me back out to the living room, I'm going to go get comfortable for a while." He turns and walks out of the lab into his bedroom, waiting for the little rabbit to follow him out before shutting the lights off and closing the door. He headed out through the hall to the living room then, placing a soft throw pillow on the seat of one of the chairs before sitting down in the other and picking up a book. A lamp on the end-table between the two chairs turned on, shedding soft light upon that corner of the room.

Blackjack's usual day consisted of getting up in the morning to open the club and take care of the breakfast rush, then leaving it in the care of someone else through lunch. Here he would eat and take care of any business that needed taking care of, such as anything involving someone using the lab or running his own experiments. There were also things he could do that he needed only his mind for. Being bio-mechanical as he was, coupled with long, long years of mental training as an organic, he could separate his thought processes better almost anything. Because of this, sitting down and reading a book could be coupled with work. Calling members of the Sector Council, on which he served in a technocratic chair position, running highly precise and process-consuming calculation and simulations for his experiments, or drawing up a commisioned blue-print for a space habitat could all be done in a comfy chair, relaxing. After a certain amount of time, Blackjack would finish what he was working on, put down his book, and head back to the club for the dinner rush and club hours. Though there were times that he had to leave the club in the care of his two managers for a day or days, he was considered to be the best cook and barkeep in the Sector, and was missed if he wasn't around.

Blackjack looked up after sitting and getting comfy. "There's a pillow on the other chair for you to lay on, if you want," he said, gesturing at it. "Do you read at all? I'm assuming that you probably read tech manuals when you can find them, but if you'd like, I'm sure I have a book in here that would interest you."
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:18 pm

At the lack of an answer to the question of where Dutch was going to be staying on the colony, little black ears lowered on either side of little rabbit head. It wasn't a no, but it wasn't a yes. He'd ask again later, but for now the duct runner wanted to make himself seem as pleasant and helpful as he possibly could. Fur padded feet bounded off the edge of the counter, crouching down to absorb the impact of the short drop. Rabbit hips wiggled back and forth, and a grin crept across Dutch's muzzle. The feeling of walking in sand was gone. It felt as natural as the day he had been released. Little feet skittered across the floor after Blackjack, carrying the enthusiastic critter closely behind his creator, taking great care to not get so close as to get bumped by a foot, or worse, stepped on.

It was then that an odd thought crossed the little rabbit's mind, and an excited smile crossed white lips. Once in the living room with his most hospitable creator, Dutch approached the wall. In his head it all made sense. It was a colony house, built with colony materials, and later furnished with imported materials. Surely some where in the wall would be metal, thick beams of it holding up the structure. It was just a matter of where to step for the duct runner, who was use to his entire world being magnetically sensitive. Dutch ran along the wall, side pressed against the trim, feeling for where the beams crossed the wall. One foot over the other took Dutch up the wall, each step a careful test to make sure the beam was still there. It didn't take long for feet to reach the ceiling. At first he wasn't sure he could keep going, but sure enough, metal held the ceiling up, too, and Dutch headed out until he was sitting above the pillow Blackjack had gestured to.

"I enjoy reading where ever it can be found! Most crews don't like it, but some times I talk to shipboard AI, and they show me historical files, and other such files that don't require security access codes." Dutch released his magnetic grip on the ceiling, and dropped the distance to land on the pillow and cushion, popping his head back up over the arm of the chair with a chuckle. It wasn't quite as fun as playing in zero gravity, but it was close enough. "Hmm, technical manuals mostly come on the ship systems." Dutch jumped from his own seat to the couch Blackjack lay upon, skittering along the back to poke his head out at the book. He squinted, as if digging up a memory stored long ego, made vague by too many bumps to the head, and too many jolts to the body.

"I saw one of these once! A very old feline in white clothes carried one of these! He refered to it as the book of the creator." Dutch purked up his head and looked to the wolf, leaning in to be less than an inch from touching snouts. "Was he talking about you, creator Jack? Did you write that book?"

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Post by DamonMcLarren » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Blackjack watches with a small smile as Dutch traverses up the wall and across a small part of the ceiling, listening as he talks. Once he flumps down onto the pillow, the wolf chuckles, and shakes his head at the question about the book. "No, I didn't write this book, and I don't believe that this is a "Book of the Creator" either, not like I'm sure the feline was speaking of. The book he was talking about is called the Holy Bible, and speaks of what many still believe to be our creator, though I can't say that I believe it myself. I've...seen far too much in my life to put faith in such things. I've only written a couple of books, medical journals and the like, nothing very interesting. This book was written by someone named Stephen King, and is a work of fiction, meaning that it's a made-up story. I've read it a few times, but it's a good read, and interesting." He shows the small rabbit the cover, which reads "'Salem's Lot" by Stephen King.

He looks down for a moment, seeming to think, and marks his place in the book and closes it. "I've thought about your question, Dutch, about whether or not you can stay here. Technically, you've been considered "off the charts" for a little over one stellar year now, and you made a point about surviving past any expected age. I figure that you can do as much good colony-side as you could on a ship, so I think that the answer is yes, you can stay here. You'd be free to run around as you like and fix things, if you so chose, but you'd have a place to stay here, and I could use you in the club too, I'm sure." He smiles as the little rabbit. "Sound good?"
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

VC_Wolffe
Rogue
Species: Belgian Shepherd

Post by VC_Wolffe » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:34 pm

A timid looking Belgian Shepherd opened the door and poked his head in.
"Uh, excuse me. I-I'm looking for a guy named..."
He checked a piece of paper in his paw.
"...Blackjack?"
He looked in the room.
It certainly a nice room, one even he would have liked to have one day.
But first he needed a job…
Character Information
Talk to me about Ghost Writing for you!

Review my story.
http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2813648/1/Origin