Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Odd Jobs

This is where all of the Age of Space role-plays are archived.
osprey77
Marquis
Species: Black Cat/Raven

Re: Odd Jobs

Post by osprey77 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:33 pm

App couldn’t believe it. Sakura smiled as she welcomed him as a part of the crew, then explained their likely schedule. App nodded, trying to take it in, to make sure he got every detail.

"Though we may have to pick you up a suit...none of the ones I have would accommodate your wings."

App glanced self-consciously over his shoulder at the afore-mentioned appendages. Come to think of it, hadn’t his mother always complained that the wings interfered with flight suits? Artemis had never found them more than a nuisance, but Apollo rather liked them.

“My mom mentioned a retail chain that offered suits that would fit…A lot of their customers are avian, so they’re used to accommodating wings.”

"So, what kind of skills do you have?"

App winced. “Nothing specialized yet…Though I’ve always considered Medic work…Haven’t had any training, but I can pick just about anything up!”

At this point, they were interrupted once more by Nezzie’s arrival. “Same as always, App?”

The hybrid shrugged. “You know me, Nezzie. Never mess with what works.”

The young cat rolled her eyes, but smiled as she turned to Sakura. “Have you made a decision, or do you still need more time?”
"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C. S. Lewis

"With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere."
C. S. Lewis

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"
C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:
http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5253

Sponsor

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:23 pm

Sakura nodded as App mentioned a likely place they could get him a flight suit. "Great!" she replied "we'll head there after this then, get it out of the way, and taken care of."

She noticed App wince when she asked about his skills, and was sympathetic when he admitted that he didn't have any specific skills, not that she was honestly expecting him to.

Nezzie showed up before Sakura could make her reply. She turned her attention to Nezzie. "yes, may I have a grilled tuna steak please?" she asked.

Once Nezzie had taken their order and was gone, Sakura turned her attention back to App "medic work huh..." she mused "I've got quite a bit of instructional material aboard the ship, and I think there was some medical stuff mixed in with it...there will be plenty of time to sift through it though once were out in space." she paused a moment, thinking. "You may also want to brush up on any engineering stuff you find....it would be nice to have an extra set of hands to help on jobs." she suggested. She leaned in a little closer to App then asked. "So, I'm curious now...would you tell me your story...how you ended up here, and looking to get off planet...if I tell you mine?" she asked. She could understand if App didn't want to talk about it, but she was curious and it seemed like a fair enough trade.

osprey77
Marquis

Post by osprey77 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:13 am

After Nezzie left Sakura continued to speak, offering him the chance to learn exactly what he’d always wanted to! “Really? That’s great! I’ll see what I can pick up.”

"You may also want to brush up on any engineering stuff you find....it would be nice to have an extra set of hands to help on jobs."

App nodded. “Of course. Hopefully, I can remember at least some of what my mom showed me…” unfortunately, for most of his life that he could remember, his mother had been a company executive, as she’d pretty much stopped flying after he’d come along.

"So, I'm curious now...would you tell me your story...how you ended up here, and looking to get off planet...if I tell you mine?"

App took a deep breath. Now that Sakura had taken him on as crew, he felt he owed her some honesty. It was easier to an extent, since it most likely wouldn’t affect their agreement. “Sure. My mom used to be a small-craft pilot for a merch company, flying all the way out to the asteroid belt sometimes.

“On one of her trips, she saw a small Feilan merchant ship crashed. It was a pretty tricky rescue, to hear her tell it, but she managed to save the pilot’s life. Since a Dmitri craft wouldn’t be welcome in Feilan airspace, she flew him back home, doing what she could before they reached a Medic center. They were able to save the pilot, though he would be pretty much a cripple for life.

“My mom felt responsible for him, so she kept checking in on him when she could, and she was pretty much the only one that wasn’t offended by his…well, his Feilan ways. And she was just about the only fur from Dmitri that he would put up with…

“The pilot is my dad. He’s tried, but he’s never really been at home on Dmitri. And he expected me to grow up Feilan. I’ll admit—there’s a lot to admire about their culture, but the same rings true about here! I was willing to be a blend of the best of both words, but he wouldn’t have it. After my last Gen Mod, I heard him tell my mom that he was going to take me back to Feila before Dmitri ‘ruined’ me. that’s when I ran away. I mean, can you picture me on Feila? I’d be a laughing stock!”

App took a deep breath. “That’s pretty much my story. As to why I wanted to leave the planet, instead of just lying low, I guess you could say space is in my blood. Both of my parents flew at one point, and I’ve always wanted to see…well, everything. Maybe not as a pilot, but I figured shipboard Medics got to see the same things…” He wound down, shrugging. “And that’s me. What about you, Sakura?”
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"
C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:13 am

Sakura smiled and listened intently as App told his story. "sounds like you had an interesting, albeit maybe a little frustrating time growing up between two different cultures." she commented when he was finished. "And I can see how the idea of living on Feila would make you want to get away...sometimes I think I'd have a mob after me before day's end if I ever visited there" she said with a small chuckle.

She took a deep breath when App asked to hear her story, mostly to think about where to start. "well, I suppose I should start by explaining that I wasn't 'born' in the traditional sense...I guess you could say I was created."

"My father..or creator if you prefer, is a member of a techocratic pannel...A geneticist. I'm the result of combined and manipulated dragon DNA that was recovered from an old colony ship, and was given life in a lab."
"I grew up between the lab and his home. While I was techically an experiment, he still treated my like a daughter when I was home, and while we were at the lab I got to learn all sorts of things, and they gave me tests that were more like games." She paused with a wistful smile. "I was a talented in engineering, and had designed my own ship by the time I was fifteen" she continued. "since they could call it part of the expiriment, I was given everything I needed to build my ship, and had it finished by the time I was nineteen." she frowned for a moment. "now this is where the disagreements began, I had built my ship and wanted to try it, not to mention wanting to get out and see more than the lab complex I had grown up in and around. My father told me no, that it was too dangerous out in space, plus there was still much they wanted to study about me." She shook her head. "I decided that it was time I took my life into my own hands and took off, I don't think they really expected me to do it which is probably the only reason I succeded" She chuckled. "that was about two years ago, I plan to go back eventually...just not right away." She shrugged

"so we've got at least a litte bit in common" she said with a wry grin "And I encourage you to go back home eventually as well, if for no other reason than to let your parents know you are still alive, and were able to succede."

"And don't worry if you can't remember what your mother taught you about engineering, I'll show you as much as you're willing to learn along the way." she said with a wink

osprey77
Marquis

Post by osprey77 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:42 am

Now Sakura’s sympathetic reaction to learning he was a runaway made sense. Apollo wasn’t even too taken aback about learning she’d started life as a genetic experiment—this was Dmitri, after all. What did surprise him was how quickly she’d been able to design and build her own ship. “Fifteen? Wow, Sakura, you weren’t kidding when you said you were gifted in engineering.”

The rest of her story was familiar enough—disagreement with a once-beloved parent, breaking free with full intention of returning…someday.

"So we've got at least a little bit in common."

App matched her wry expression. “No kidding.”

"And I encourage you to go back home eventually as well, if for no other reason than to let your parents know you are still alive, and were able to succeed."

App nodded, saying softly, “To do that, I’d actually have to succeed first.” He looked up quickly, regaining his smile as he added, “Not that I’ve got my doubts now!”

Apollo was intrigued by Sakura’s offer to teach him about engineering. It might not have been his passion, but he knew firsthand how much one could enjoy learning form an expert. “Sounds great!”

Just then, Nezzie returned with their plates, and App set in with a will.
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:16 am

“Fifteen? Wow, Sakura, you weren’t kidding when you said you were gifted in engineering.”

"I was also given just about every advantage possible" she replied, a small blush darkening the scales on her face.

“To do that, I’d actually have to succeed first.”

Sakura nodded and grinned "we'll succede" she replied with all the confidence of youthful enthusiasm. She positively beamed at his enthusiasm to learn what she could teach about engineering as well.

"Thank you" Sakura said cheerfully as Nezzie brought their meals.

Seeing that App was now focused on food, she decied she would focus on her own. She took a deep breath, filling her nose with the wonderful smell of the freshly grilled fish. "oh it has been too long" she commented as she took a bite. "oh, mmmmm.....now this is good. You weren't lying App" she said after her first bite. "it nearly melts in my mouth" From there, Sakura set to devouring her meal in ernest. She savored every bite, and when she was finally finished, she leaned back in her seat with her hands over her stomach. "oh that was good" she commented "may have to top it off with a slice of chocolate pie though" she said with a grin.

osprey77
Marquis

Post by osprey77 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:07 am

App paused his meal just long enough to see Sakura’s reaction to her first taste of Izzy’s food. He couldn’t help smiling at her evident pleasure, saying, “Izzy’s got the magic touch when it comes to food, alright.”

After that, the two friends focused all their attention on eating and enjoying their meals. App finished within seconds of Sakura, just as Izzy bustled up to check on them.

“Oh, that was good! May have to top it off with a slice of chocolate pie though."

Izzy blushed. “Well, I’m glad you like it, Miss. One slice of chocolate coming up. Do you want coffee with it? App, what about you?”

Apollo hesitated, clearly torn. “Let’s see…with decaf…I’ll have a slice of the pecan pie.”

Izzy laughed merrily. “I was wondering how you’d decide between your two favorites, seeing as this was the first time I offered chocolate and pecan on the same day. Pecan it is.”
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:30 pm

“Well, I’m glad you like it, Miss. One slice of chocolate coming up. Do you want coffee with it?

"Thank you for the great food, and no thank you on the coffee...I'm enjoying the tea." Sakura replied to Izzy with a wide smile.
She watched with an amused expression as App worked on deciding what kind of pie he wanted.
"So, pecan and chocolate are two of your favorites huh? I'll have to file that away for later" She said with a wink, and tapped the side of her head with a finger. She waited till Izzy had left, and they were pretty much left to their own devices again before she asked App another question.

"Now, there may be times when we end up dealing with some....less than savory furs, if you know what I mean. Do you know how to fight? 'Cause it would definetly be nice to have someone watching my back if I'm busy working and they are around." She paused a moment. "Oh, and which position do you want on the ship...sensors, or weapons operator?" she asked. She planned to eventually teach him both positions, but she figured she'd let him choose where he wanted to start.

osprey77
Marquis

Post by osprey77 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:44 am

App grinned sheepishly at both Izzy’s and Sakura’s gentle teasing. He didn’t mind—to him, it was the way furs let each other know that they were accepted as part of a family, of sorts. Of course, App never tried that with his father…

“Do you know how to fight?”

“What? Oh, yes. Both Mom and Dad taught me, so I’m pretty god with swords and unarmed. Been working on guns, but my aim could use some work,” App admitted.

"Oh, and which position do you want on the ship...sensors, or weapons operator?"

App had to grin. “Until my aim improves, you probably want me on sensors.” He knew weapons on board ship were computer controlled of the most part, but he felt the timing lent itself to the joke.
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:05 am

“Until my aim improves, you probably want me on sensors.”

Sakura chuckled "fair enough, sensors it is" she replied. "so, you know how to fight too, that's good...we'll probably pick you up a sword along the way. I'm not sure if I have any guns...I don't really have much use for them myself" she commented, unaware of how strange her last comment had probably sounded in context of the topic of discussion. "If I don't, we'll have to pick you up one of those, and some dummy rounds you can practice with as well" she continued.

osprey77
Marquis

Post by osprey77 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:47 am

((ooc: Sorry about the delay, I had a speech/debate tournament accompanied by a pretty bad cold.))

App glanced at his admittedly imposing companion, thinking to himself it was no surprise she didn’t often need guns.

Desert was taken slowly, in a leisurely fashion, and App began to realize with a sinking feeling this would probably be his last meal at Izzy’s in a very long time. He began to wonder how he would say goodbye to Nezzie, or if he would at all.

Any meal, however much one tries to stretch it out, cannot last indefinitely, and soon it was time to pay the check (or not, since the meal was free) and set about their other errands. App stood, following Sakura to the door, but hesitated as Nezzie approached. The silver cat regarded him with an odd look on her face.

“You’re leaving for good this time, aren’t you?”

App shook his head. “A long time—yes; for good—no. I’ll be back…someday.” It sounded weak, even to him, but he meant it as a promise.

“I hope you find what you’re looking for,” Nezzie replied almost brusquely, and she whisked away to see to other diners, with App’s sad gaze watching her departing figure.
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:26 am

((OOC: no problem, glad to see you back, and hopefully feeling well))

Sakura winced a little at Nezzie's tone as she said her farewell to App. "I would venture to say that she's not very happy with the fact that you're leaving" she commented to App as they stepped outside the diner. "seems there may have been something going on between the two of you." she observed, deliberately not asking any actual questions; she figured that if App wanted to tell her about it, then he would.

Sakura let App take the lead again as the pair headed for their next destination. Sakura couldn't help but wonder if Nezzie may have seen her as a romantic rival despite the fact that she had just met him. Of course, she was sure that the fact that App had entered the diner with her, and was leaving for 'a long time' with her didn't help the image.

"oh something I should probably mention." she said suddenly as a thought occured to her. "I don't have any kind of artificial gravity systems on my ship, so be prepared to get used to living in zero G for a while" she thought for a moment. "most stations we may stop at have something though..."

osprey77
Marquis

Post by osprey77 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:10 am

Sometimes getting what you want comes with a price you didn’t expect…

"I would venture to say that she's not very happy with the fact that you're leaving.”

App jumped as the left restaurant, startled from his thoughts by Sakura’s observation. “’Not very happy’ would be putting it mildly…”

“Seems there may have been something going on between the two of you."

Apollo flinched. “Um, I wouldn’t say that…it never got that far.” He didn’t really want to explain, but then again, there wasn’t to explain in the first place.

“I don't have any kind of artificial gravity systems on my ship, so be prepared to get used to living in zero G for a while."

Grateful for the change in subject, the young hybrid nodded, digesting his companion’s information. “GThat could be interesting…but I suppose you get used to it. So, where are we off to first, Sakura—the flight suit place?”
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:12 am

“GThat could be interesting…but I suppose you get used to it. So, where are we off to first, Sakura—the flight suit place?”

Sakura nodded "It does take a little getting used to" she replied with a smile "yeah, flight suit is our top priority. We can always pick up weaponry later if need be." she said as they walked.

When they arrived at the flight suit place, Sakura stopped and looked at App. "it'll be best if we get you something that can handle space walks as well as regular everyday use." she commented before they headed in.

osprey77
Marquis

Post by osprey77 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:28 pm

It was immediately clear that the establishment they had entered catered to the avian figure, as most of the wares on display had various modifications to allow for wings. Fortunately, selections in App’s size weren’t exactly numerous, so finding one that would suit all necessary purposes, while not easy, was not made more difficult by an abundance of choices.

The proprietor gave a fair enough price, but the look he cast the odd pair as they left was so blatantly accusatory, App rankled visibly.

“I don’t even want to know what he thought…” App muttered sullenly. “So, should we go load the ship?”
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters: