About gold...

Lost and have questions? Want to offer suggestions on how we can improve the forum or have feedback in general? Wish to provide helpful information on educational topics such as medieval life? Post all that here. Also, if you notice any technical problems with the forum, please report them here.
Healy
Baron
Baron

About gold...

Post by Healy »

I've been wondering, now that the battle mod has been taken away by the host change, what non-trade use would we have for the gold we get from posts? Yes, I understand that we could use it in the marketplace for services such as titles, writings, and art from other users, but these uses only circulate the gold. Shouldn't there also be some other use that makes it permanently go away so as to make the gold have some semblance of value? I originally thought that that was a secondary reason for the battle mod that was on Feila before, so now that it's gone I just don't know what it's really for now.

Ugh...I really hope that I phrased this properly. You can ask me to clarify if no one understands what I'm saying.
My Characters:

[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=4679]Cantuo Lotherdwell[/url]
Sponsor

RabidFox
The Great Fox
The Great Fox

Re: About gold...

Post by RabidFox »

What to do with our spare gold has always been a question here on Feila. Unfortunately, there's never been many suggestions that could actually be implemented, so it's kinda piled up on a lot of us, which has devalued it quite a bit for the older users. We will be looking into new uses for gold that will hopefully give it a lot more value. As always, suggestions are more than welcome and we encourage people to tell us any ideas that they have in mind.

This is definitely a subject that I need to lose some sleep over. Haha.
Rainwhisker
King
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Post by Rainwhisker »

Well, I honestly think of gold as a nice measure to show appreciation to players or people who made artwork or music for you.

Aside from that, nothing much I can think of use for Gold in a forum...I've seen some forums use Gold as a measure to allow you to have more characters, or let characters join certain RP areas, etc. It's interesting, but since Feila is so open-ended it's kinda pointless.

Maybe a Dimensional Break RP could utilize gold in their rules - who knows, but that'd be really taxing on newer players.
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!
RabidFox
The Great Fox
The Great Fox

Post by RabidFox »

It might be interesting for guilds to charge a membership fee. That's just one idea I'm throwing out there while thinking of it. However, there are currently not many guilds at Feila.
Kitsunegami
Marquis
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami »

Well, if we ever get some form of RP system like DnD or something similar, it could be used to level-up, buy items, "additional characters", etc... This option, however, would likely either circulate gold, or have those with administrative or moderator powers bombarded by expenditure requests...
Healy
Baron
Baron

Post by Healy »

Well, Kitsunegami, that's pretty much what the battle mod "game" was doing back before the host change. I would support reinstating the APR Battle Mod (I'm not too sure about the P and the R), but it would probably be a lot of work to code something like that again for this new place. Y'know, seeing as how the host change rendered almost all apostrophes from logs into strings of symbols.
My Characters:

[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=4679]Cantuo Lotherdwell[/url]
Kitsunegami
Marquis
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami »

Actually what I proposed is far more than the battle apr thingy. I'm talking about doing more than just fighting monsters/players like that. I'm talking about a roleplaying system, not some battle simulator.
UltraWolfy
Peasant
Peasant
Species: Draulf

Post by UltraWolfy »

a dueling system of a sort?
Jackie Haystack
God
God

Post by Jackie Haystack »

Dear god >.> now I feel guilty because my current plan for the forums RPG (through the midas arena) uses the gold zilch :P

But no, I think we could maybe do something a bit simmaler to the BoardGameGeek (it is all one word, seroiusly). They make it so that you have to pay GeekGold to change your av, and can pay smaller amounts to be able to display that your a fan of something under your av. Obviously that's a ton of coding, but I'm sure you get the point.

Basically, the only way gold will have a genuine value is if it is used for something you want, so stop and think if you'd really like to risk financial dependance on a forum feature you'd like using, or if it's really needed. Yes, I agree it's irritating to have a useless currency, but still.
evil9731
Baron
Baron
Species: Lynx

Post by evil9731 »

why not have players spend gold to be able to bend ceertain rules for a certain number of posts in 1 threa only.
what to say what to say?

so many knives, so little time.

madness makes the world go round, the world go round, the world go round. madness makes the world go round, oh the do dah day!

i am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright!

CHARACTERS: http://feila.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6222

Like giant monsters AND a good plot to go behind them? Click on this to join the Rise of the Kaiju RP viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6634
RabidFox
The Great Fox
The Great Fox

Post by RabidFox »

I'm not sure what you mean, Evil. Could you explain in more detail?
JamesG
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG »

The only real use gold has had in the past years has been charging for custom ranks. However, I believe the system was designed for a greater number of active members seeking custom titles. At the moment, they're not particularly in high demand at all, rendering charging for ranks rather pointless.

Though I am rather fond of seeing just how much gold can be accumulated just for the number's sake, it could probably be scrapped without much fuss.

Additionally, the system is now actually kind of broken since the change to phpbb3. Users editing posts sometimes experience massive deductions of gold for no reason at all. I was losing upwards of 500 gold per edit whilst editing the Space Age, for example.
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters
RabidFox
The Great Fox
The Great Fox

Post by RabidFox »

Yes, removing the gold system is something to take into consideration. It was originally installed into the forum by default, so that I felt that we should find a use for it, but we really have no need for a monetary system under the current conditions. While it does have potential value, none of us have the time to expand on the possibilities. I will think on perhaps disabling it.
AmeVulpes
Duke
Duke
Species: undecided

Post by AmeVulpes »

why not open a gold only market?

character buying/selling,having someone make something for the character that they would otherwise not have,ect (i know we already have a market,but most furs there do not accept gold)
Oh hey guys.

My sig's kinda naked, lol. Sorry.
JamesG
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG »

There's no restrictions on character making, so I doubt people would be interesting in buying other characters.
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters