"This website is offline. No cached version is available."

Lost and have questions? Want to offer suggestions on how we can improve the forum or have feedback in general? Wish to provide helpful information on educational topics such as medieval life? Post all that here. Also, if you notice any technical problems with the forum, please report them here.
Sade
Dysuhlian >:C
Species: Toaster

"This website is offline. No cached version is available."

Post by Sade »

For just about all of Friday and most of Saturday save the morning, this is all I ever saw. I went to write a post on Saturday afternoon only to find the website completely and totally inaccessible. Writing a post necessitates actually being able to see the previous posts.

This is not a new occurrence. This CloudFlare thing has been showing up for a month or two now.

Could someone please look into this?

Sponsor

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Re: "This website is offline. No cached version is available

Post by Kitsunegami »

I've had the same problem myself.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
The Great Fox

Post by RabidFox »

I have sent a message to Styx about the issue.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
The Great Fox

Post by RabidFox »

This is the reply that I received from Styx.

"Hello,

CloudFlare is a service that helps to mitigate server loads and block potential threats by filtering all traffic to the site through its servers. If the host server goes down for whatever reason, the service will try to serve a cached version of the page and if not found, simply display a page not found type of error. If the service were disabled, you would just see page not found.

As for connectivity, as of May 31st, we moved from a VPS to shared hosting. VPS has more flexibility in being able to keep things up and running, but it’s much costlier and we were there mostly because of a spam problem becoming a problem on the shared environment. After taking out various things and setting up load mitigating options like CloudFlare (via Dreamhost), we were able to get back on to shared hosting to reduce costs. That brings the possibility of downtime if things get over-extended. And as far as sites on this account goes, it’s pretty minimal, with Feila being the heaviest loader.

I can tell that the past few days haven’t had the best uptime, but there isn’t anything more I can think of we can do to keep it up more consistently besides using more money. With other funds, we could offload feila.org to its own account and see how it does separated from anything else on the Twilightus account.

Hope that all makes sense!

Sincerely,
Twilightus Management"

Sade
Species: Toaster

Post by Sade »

So, there is too little money to stay up all the time. Alright, that's reasonable, I certainly can't complain about what is to us a free service.

Thanks for checking on this, Rabidfox.