Arctic Language

Lost and have questions? Want to offer suggestions on how we can improve the forum or have feedback in general? Wish to provide helpful information on educational topics such as medieval life? Post all that here. Also, if you notice any technical problems with the forum, please report them here.
KiloFoxx
Assassin
Assassin
Species: Arctic Fox

Arctic Language

Post by KiloFoxx »

it wasn't a terribly large deal to me beforehand, but I recently entered my Char from the Arctic Isles into an RP not in the isles themselves, and wish to properly express the language/accent that a native would fall into when travelling abroad.
I swear i remember YEARS ago there being a thread in the Arctic Isles section about the language, but it seems to have disappeared.
from what i've gathered, Edwin is English/Galic based in language, and Gawain is Germanic in origin. following this logic and patterns i see in the existing snippits of Arctic language i remember, i can only guess Russian as its inspiration, though i don't actually know any Russian...
even so, a small list of words to have a character "fall into" would be very nice and helpful for giving the dialogue more depth and make it more genuine and interesting.

Sponsor

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Re: Arctic Language

Post by Rackenhammer »

Hm, not many of the staff know Russian (I sure don't); If you're just looking for a small list of words, then Google Translate is probably alright, that's how we got most of the phrases in the other lists.

Incidentally, the Arctic Islands are spit into many tribes, so if you wanted to have a character drop into Swedish or Finnish, to accentuate the difference between them, that would be perfectly fine, too.
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

KiloFoxx
Assassin
Assassin
Species: Arctic Fox

Post by KiloFoxx »

to be perfectly honest, i was slightly hoping the old thread i remembered would still be lurking around somewhere (at least on someone's computer) since, as far as i know anyway, it was unique. (and it's kinda been accepted/established that Arktik Rike is the translation for the country)
i do actually know a little (VERY little) German however, so i might just design a char once i get an actual computer to take advantage of that. i dunno if google translate'll work on a 3DS browser, but i can try once it crops up. i'm already making the distinction by having him not be able to place the species of reptillian and arachnid furs, since the cold would, in all likelyhood, turn them away similarly to how it does their non-sentient counterparts

RabidFox
The Great Fox
The Great Fox

Post by RabidFox »

I don't know what happened to the thread. I do believe that it was Russian, however.