Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

The Coming of Arturur (Novella) (FINISHED)

Post your own furry artwork and writings here. Non-furry themes are also allowed. Need writing or drawing help? You can find it in the Tutorials sub-forum, or you can post a tutorial yourself there. Role-playing advice can be found in the Tutorials sub-forum.
RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

The Coming of Arturur (Novella) (FINISHED)

Post by RabidFox » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:02 pm

The Coming of Arturur

This is a novella that takes place on a world much like Earth called Alastair. The setting has both Victorian and modern elements. All characters are daemons: Humanoid people with pointy ears, fangs, claws, and commonly spiky hair.

Part of the Doctor Arturur series. The Coming of Arturur is the first book in the original series.

(FINISHED)

Pronunciations

Daemon (DAY-MUHN)
Arturur (AR-CHUR-ER)
Yagrius (YAY-GREE-UHS)
Asterterkin (AHS-TER-TER-KIN)

Previous in the Series

Arturur's Destiny

Next in the Series

Arturur and Angel

Complete List of Books in the Doctor Arturur Series

Sponsor

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Re: The Coming of Arturur: Short Stories

Post by RabidFox » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:49 pm

Enter the Prince

"How many pixies does it take to replace a light bulb?"

Arturur was unused to his grandfather's jokes. Especially because he had never met him before.

"I have no idea." Answered Artutur, giving Granpa Pooky a strange look.

"Zero." Replied his grandfather.

"Why zero?" Asked Arturur.

"Because Jensen is so full of fire, there's no reason for changing a light bulb." He said, in a clear, calm voice.

"I really don't like jokes about Jensen." Mumbled his grandson, eyes wide with mystery.

"Well, you are a pixie and everything." Explained Granpa Pooky, then he smiled. "It's just so nice meeting you for the first time."

"Yes... it is." Artutur was unsure of what to say.

"You'll like it here at the Yellow Building." Assured Granpa Pooky, which was another name for Jensen.

"Why is it called the Yellow Building?" Wondered Arturur.

"Because it's very... well... yellow." Granpa Pooky shrugged his shoulders, having no better explanation. He thought to himself for a minute, then he couldn't help but ask. "What kind of psychologist were you before you came here?"

"I was a ward doctor." Answered Arturur. His voice had been so far very flat and emotionless.

"Well, then you'll do very well here." That made his grandfather happy. "Pixies seem to be most happy when working in wards."

"That's what I was told." Said Arturur.

And all his grandfather did was smile.

Arturur was a very tall man with bright white hair. It was stiff and spiky and made him look very mean. His face was long and thin like all other white pixies, and he had narrow, pale blue eyes. All daemons had pale blue eyes, but his were harsh and controlling. And over his body all the way down to just above his ankles, he wore a plain, white coat. Arturur was not just a doctor, he was the very essence of what one would expect.

On the other hand, his grandfather had flat, pink hair that laid down on his head. He had no spikes like his grandson and did not look as frightening. However, that did not mean that he was not a scary looking person. Quite the opposite. Granpa Pooky was terrifying. Like other pink pixies, he had a round, impish head with narrow eyes. He was also very tall, but shorter than Arturur. Despite his bad qualities, he was actually very kind and considerate.

"Where's Craig?" Granpa Pooky was eager to meet his son, another person that he had never met before now.

"I don't know." Responded Arturur.

"Will he be coming soon?" The excitement was too much for him.

"Yes. I mean, I think so. He should." Arturur replied.

"Good. I can't wait to see the two of you together." Said Granpa Pooky, his expression turning into a grin. "My son, the Great Craig... or whatever that means. And you! Prince Arturur, only son of the King. I am most eager to learn about my only grandson."

Arturur was nervous about meeting all of these new people. He had been raised in a school, which his uncle, Craig, had worked at. And then, when Craig was a child, he had been raised at the same school. Daemons lived for thousands of years, so that, in a way, Arturur and Craig were still very young.

Arturur looked away for a moment, his mind running off with him.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:38 am

The Good Uncle

Granpa Pooky was looking up at the meanest man in all of the world: The Great Craig.

Craig was just as tall as Arturur. Being a xavier pixie, he did not have a round face like pink pixies and he did not have the long face of a white pixie. Instead, his face was made up of cruelly sharp angles and his nose was very large and intimidating, with cold, uncaring eyes. And then there was his hair: A flat, controlling orange colour. Like his nephew, he wore a long, white coat.

"Hello." Said Craig. It could hardly be called a greeting. "My name is Craig."

"Well, hello there, son!" His father replied, happily. He was overcome with joy. "I'm so sorry that we have never met before. But that was just how things were. Good they are not like that any more." He wanted to cry and cry he did. "Oh, I've missed you so much. It's terrible to have a son and then have him taken away from you to give him... an education!" He sounded totally against the idea. "Oh, Craig! It's wonderful to see you for the first time!"

But Craig was unfeeling. Or at least, that was the way it looked. "I see." He said, in a clipped voice. "It is... interesting to make your acquaintance... Father." The last word was spoken in a mysterious tone.

"My, you sure are good at being a stone!" Said Granpa Pooky, astonished. "If I were you, I'd be trembling. I'm just so sorry, Craig. I really am. I met your... nephew a little while ago: The young Prince. I couldn't bear to hardly say a word to him. It was too... overwhelming to finally meet my only grandson. I guess I've lost my composure now that I am standing here with you."

"Yes. I agree. The young Prince is the one in need of the most attention." Craig had the strangest way of talking and then Granpa Pooky finally noticed that he appeared to be glaring at him.

"Are you angry?" Asked his father. "I would be angry if I were you. I would be—"

"I am not angry." Assured Craig, in what sounded like an angry voice.

Granpa Pooky just stared at him, too happy to care what happened. "Why are you called the Great Craig... anyway?"

"Because I am the best psychologist in the world." Replied Craig. "No one can match my utter perfection."

"What about Arturur?" Granpa Pooky didn't know what to think.

"He may be the Head of Psychology, but he's got a lot to learn." Answered Craig.

"So why are you the head then?" Laughed his father. It sounded ridiculous to him.

"I am not the head." Explained Craig. "I am God himself."

"Wow, you shouldn't talk like that." Said Grandpa Pooky, scratching the back of his head. "It sounds weird."

"Well, then you better just get used to it!" Exclaimed the... Great Craig.

His father did not even begin to know how to react.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:59 pm

A Spoiled Child

"When I was a child, I sat on the edge of a stone wall. I looked up at the sky, dark and full of stars. There was nothing in that sky that had anything to do with me. It made me feel... rather small. But then that was a long time ago. Now when I look at that same sky, I feel... old."

Arturur was standing in the hall, his face on the wall and his back to his grandfather. He turned his head around, twisting his back.

"Can you imagine that?" He said, his voice long and faraway. "Old. I feel old."

Granpa Pooky did not know what to say, but then he had no idea what his grandson was talking about. Arturur had asked for him specifically and the young Prince had been talking a little about his life. It was really flying over the older man's head.

"What are we talking about?" Asked his grandfather, pathetically. "You lost me."

Arturur turned back towards the wall. "Just... that things have always been hard for me."

"You know you're expected to work as a therapist here... right?" Ventured the pink pixie. "You're not going to tell them this story, are you?"

"Of course not!" Scoffed Arturur, sounding indignant.

"Well, you know, what I do is I tell a little bit about myself to someone if I've just met them." Explained Granpa Pooky. "I think you better keep your life to yourself."

Arturur laughed, finding that amusing. He turned around to face the other man. "Oh really? You're just oh so much better than me, aren't you?"

"Let's not get pessimistic." Replied his grandfather, eyes wide and very curious.

"Regardless, you appear to be confused." Said Arturur, tone flat and mysterious. "I am a research doctor. I'm not a therapist."

"I thought you said you were a ward doctor?" Asked Granpa Pooky, suspiciously.

"I am." Responded Arturur, simply. "But I would hardly call this a ward."

"It is a ward." Insisted his grandfather, confused. "We already told you that."

"This? A ward?" The white pixie scoffed, smiling. "These people are cabbits. They're not that crazy."

"Only interested in the really weird types, eh?" Said Granpa Pooky, tilting his head sideways. "You must have a strange social life."

"I have no social life." Arturur sounded angry, as if suggesting that such a thing was utterly beneath him.

"I see..." Replied the pink pixie. "so you work long hours, don't do therapy, and like to, in general, be moody and nasty?"

Arturur did not reply, merely giving his grandfather a strange, deflated look.

"I did therapy with people that were totally out of their minds. I hardly call that a 'therapist' in the way that you mean it." Explained the white pixie.

"Yeah, well, you still have to do therapist work if you're gonna work here. Which you are. And there's no getting out of it." Granpa Pooky found Arturur to be very confusing.

"No. I am not." Despite the persistence of the pink pixie, Arturur did not relent. "I will do research psychology. That's it. I'm not doing therapy with a bunch of cabbits."

"Wow, I can already see here that we're going to have some trouble." Decided Granpa Pooky, then, in a determined voice, "See here, Arturur. You're going to do exactly what we tell you to do. You're not going to walk in here and start owning everything."

"I am the boss." Announced Arturur, plain and simply.

"You might as well be a child!" Exclaimed his grandfather. "I'm not going to be bossed around by you until you're at least three-hundred-years-old!"

Arturur furrowed his eyebrows, giving the pink pixie a very neutral look that said he found the man absolutely silly.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:15 pm

The Beginning

"Are you crazy or something?" Asked Granpa Pooky, staring at Arturur. They were at the cafeteria, both sitting at the same table.

"No." Responded Arturur. They had already finished their meals. "I hate irrationality."

The pink pixie gave him an odd look. "If you hate irrationality, then why are you a doctor?"

"I don't mean it like that. I don't hate my patients. Or rather... I do not hate people who suffer from it. I just..." He paused for a moment. "I just don't like it. I don't like it at all. I wouldn't want to be that way and I hate to see people suffer from it."

"It's not so bad." Replied the pink pixie. "If it was, then we'd just force them out of it. They're quite fine really."

"You only say that because you don't know about people like Yagrius." Explained Arturur, distracted. It seemed as if he was in a totally different world.

"Who's that?" Granpa Pooky's eyebrows went up.

"Yagrius..." Began the white pixie. "is someone I used to know. A long time ago. He was very irrational. He believed all sorts of things. He is the same age as me."

"What did he believe?" Asked his grandfather, curiously.

"He believed that lines could tell the future. Children couldn't obey their mothers, so they would go out in the lake and almost drown themselves trying to find a way to get to the 'gate'."

"What the hell?" Granpa Pooky absolutely had to interrupt.

"It's all nonsense. Just total nonsense." Answered Arturur, looking away.

"Yeah, I can see that." Said the pink pixie. "Tell me more. Tell me more about Yagrius."

The white pixie paused for a moment. "I don't know what he thinks now. I can only tell you how he was when I knew him."

"Then go ahead." He welcomed the discussion.

"The strangest thing he ever thought was that he was the 'yellow bird'." Started Arturur, in a distant voice. "There was this fantasy... It would take a while to explain."

"It's fine. We have plenty of time." Assured the older man.

"Okay. Here I go." Arturur prepared to jump into it. "There was this strange pink world full of insanity. People would walk around in bizarre, white clothing and—You see, this was a fantasy of his—and then they would patrol everywhere with weapons, gathering people up and experimenting on them. There were countless different factions that all had their own agenda. Everyone was crazy really. They were obsessed with the beliefs of their groups and would try to force those beliefs on others. It was an attempt at a utopia of sorts. People constantly arguing and never reaching even ground. It was all... really weird."

"How in the world did he come to these conclusions?" Asked his grandfather, taken aback. "There's nothing in the real world that sounds like that."

"It's a long story." Arturur really didn't want to talk about it. "I prefer that we move onto something else... I haven't talked about it in a very, very long time."

"That's fine." Answered Granpa Pooky, with a meaningful look on his face. "So... are you crazy or something?"

"No!" Exclaimed the white pixie, suddenly very angry.

"Then why are you so... far away, living in La La Land?" Asked his grandfather, calmly.

"I just like to think a lot." Said Arturur, miffed. "I really don't like insanity. I may treat it as a doctor, but I would never want to be crazy myself. I can't stand it. I want to be in touch with reality as much as is healthy."

"Why so against it, though?" He wondered.

"Even if I had not seen... so many people... lose their minds..." Arturur was having trouble. "I, personally, prefer to live my life by the book. I enjoy the responsibility given to a man that takes his job seriously. I get promoted all the time, everyone is always interested in my input, and my co-workers deeply respect me. If I was crazy... all they would see is another lunatic doctor type."

"I don't think that would happen." Smiled Granpa Pooky.

"I do." Said Arturur, quietly.

"You're too hard on yourself." Replied his grandfather, wishing that he could make him feel better.

"A man who is easy on himself is easy on his enemies." Quoted the white pixie.

"What?" His grandfather didn't get that one.

"My enemy is failure in this instance." Explained Arturur, in a very simple manner.

"Failure?" Echoed the pink pixie. "Yeah, like I said. You're too hard on yourself." There was silence for a moment. "Why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself that doesn't sound so crazy?"

"I can." Ventured Arturur, cautiously. "But I don't know how to keep the weird stuff out. I mean, I can tell you more about myself, but I don't know how to make it how you want it."

"Why not?" Wondered Granpa Pooky, aloud.

"I just can't." Arturur didn't have an answer.

"Then fine. Anything will do." And then he smiled again. "I'd love to hear anything my grandson has to say."

There was a pause and then, "Okay." Agreed Arturur. "I'll start where I think... I should start. A beginning in a beginning... I was raised in a school as you know. Craig taught there and he was also a big influence on how I thought. There were other people who had large impacts on my life, but I don't really want to talk about them right now. Or... Oh, what the hell. I'll just talk about whatever comes to mind.

"Dende has always been my rival. But he's not a very good one to have. I grew up battling him constantly in logistics. He was always pushing me as a psychologist. But most of the fight was in his mind. After a long time, he finally realized that and eased up on me. I never wanted psychology to be such a ferocious battle as he wanted it to be. However, he still sees it as a fight, just not a fight with me. Now he battles against the elders.

"Yagrius used to be a very close friend of mine. He was a monk, but he was always very down to earth and easy to get along with. We would talk for hours and hours until the sun went down. He was so... insightful. A very pleasant man to have as your friend. Though, even then, I would have hated to be his enemy. He was a very fearsome opponent to have against you. That is still true, I'm sure.

"But Craig... he has always been very nice to me. I never knew my other uncles and I never knew my father. He has been the only member of my family to raise me. Now I've come here, to the... Yellow Building, as you call it. I'm finally going to have my life merged with the rest of my family. It's... nerve racking."

There was quiet.

"Why don't we talk about this later?" Asked Arturur, already tired of the subject. "I just don't feel like this right now."

"That's fine." Answered Granpa Pooky. "But, at some point, you're going to need to just soldier through it."

Arturur looked away.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Bright White Light

"When I was little, I had a ruler." Said Arturur to his grandfather. "I put it against everything that I owned and measured it all. I kept thinking about the numbers, the numbers... How big was this, how little was that. How short was this, how long was that."

They were in Arturur's new office. As a growing habit of his, Arturur refused to face him. It was so much easier for him to talk if he didn't have to look into a person's face.

"I thought about colours and shapes and weird little objects." He continued. "I kept thinking... this isn't good enough! I need to get somewhere faster. I need to learn how to do this faster. Craig took away my ruler, I didn't know why, and I got angry at him. He said that I was being ridiculous.

"But I didn't understand that. I was too small. I just got angry and that was it. So I moved onto something else and Craig took that away and I moved onto something else and Craig took that away too. But, at some point, Craig had to attend to a lot of work that was building up and I was left to my own devices. That made me happy, at first.

"I got irritated. I couldn't figure out how to do what I wanted. I kept thinking and thinking to no avail. I just couldn't do anything right!" He paused. "Every time I tried to do a new task, I couldn't learn it without Craig's help. It made me so angry. I wanted to do everything on my own. I wanted to be completely self sufficient.

"I just kept trying and trying. I learned and learned and learned, but it was like filling up a technical manual. At least, one that doesn't work. I realized that all I could do was teach people how to perform tasks that were beyond their own teacher. I could do that. I could teach other people things. But it didn't make me happy and I didn't even know what I was teaching them. Craig told me that I thought like a giant web and the reason that I couldn't understand my own classes was because all I was interested in was the most technical part of whatever I was doing.

"I had no idea what he was talking about. I never thought that I did and then, at the same time, I thought that I was somehow smarter than Craig. He seemed so idiotic to me at some point.

"No matter how much Craig would tell me to stop or that I was wrong, I would, as I have said, keep trying and trying to learn anyway. To learn something that I could actually apply. I remember Craig telling me that. That I didn't know how to apply anything that I learned and that one day, I would suddenly start applying everything in my head and it would be like magic.

"One day, I would learn how to talk like other people, to make sense like my co-workers. Even as a child, I had a job, I had a position, people actually listened to me despite my age. Big people. Adults. Craig told me that the headmaster is a position that one always has, even as a child. He said the reason was basically that 'a headmaster must grow up'. I must learn and learn and learn, and be the only person that could do this very hard, difficult job. This very, very hard, hard job.

"I have been trying and trying. Just before I arrived here, I had this sudden revelation. A revelation that I could finally talk and make sense to myself. That I could finally rant on and on and on like other people.

"You see? I'm breaking through. I'm finally breaking through! I can hear myself now. I can hear everything that I'm saying.

"I've been so bored. Pacing and pacing and pacing. Thinking and thinking and thinking. I never thought that the agony would stop. Look at me now! I can talk! I can describe my own... feelings. I can think out loud and make sense. It's so enjoyable that I don't want to stop.

"Yet I still feel like there's more to do. Just a little more now. Everything is going to be fine. I don't know how, but I have faith that everything will come together. Every story has a happy ending."

Every story has a happy ending.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:17 pm

The Family History Begins to Unravel

Arturur wasn't very happy. The elated feelings that he had been having before had crashed. He felt... absolutely miserable. While part of him was finally contented, another part of him just wanted everything to stop.

His grandfather was with him in his new office. It had already become a place of escape and Arturur was using it a lot.

"Just don't think about it." Said Granpa Pooky, trying to comfort his grandson. "Don't let it get to you. Just stop thinking about everything and let yourself drift away to another subject. You're tearing yourself to pieces."

"What do you want me to do?" Arturur asked, in a robotic manner.

"Why don't you tell me about your family?" He asked, hoping that Arturur would not become angry.

The white pixie gave him a funny look. "You know that there's only Craig."

"Well, I would normally think that, but..." Began his grandfather, in a calm voice. "someone has already informed me that you did actually live with your other uncles as well."

"I didn't want you to know that yet." Arturur indeed became angry.

"They told me everything already, so you don't need to explain anything to me." He clarified.

"I see." Arturur was silent for a moment, trying to be a rock as much as possible. "What do you want to know?"

"I don't know, Arturur." Answered the pink pixie, honestly. "I don't know where to begin. Were you happy where you were? Did people treat you good? Did you like the town you called home...? Did you like being with Asterterkin and... well, we'll just avoid his name for now. They say you've been calling him 'The Man With No Name'. How about just 'No Name' for now?"

"I don't want to talk about him." Admitted the white pixie, looking away.

"Well, what about the other one?" Asked Granpa Pooky.

"I don't want to talk about him either." Replied Arturur.

"Well, you could always tell me about Craig." He ventured.

"I suppose." Submitted Arturur, none too happy. "Well, what do you want to know about him?"

"Like I said, Arturur..." Responded the pink pixie. "I don't know where to start. Just tell me what you always planned to say."

Arturur made a little laugh, however, Granpa Pooky couldn't understand it. The white pixie was being sardonic.

"Craig is the strangest person in the world." Began Arturur. "He is very controlling, must have his way, and never takes 'no' for an answer. If you were to ask him for help, he would snub you. I mean, deep down, he's just a big, fluffy teddy bear, but that's not what you're going to see at first.

"I have never met someone more obsessed with protecting his beliefs as Craig. Even crazy people don't care about their fantasies as much as Craig cares about his career. And he is a psychologist, so, of course, it all goes hand in hand. I suppose that you need to break him in half, but I wouldn't know how to do that. I can't tell you how.

"He's obsessed with filling his computer with information on abstractions. Abstract this, abstract that. He's very interested in cubes and pyramids and cylinders. He collects them. Always painting them and finding them and talking to people about how they control the world. 'The world lives and thrives on cubes' is something he always tells me, but what he really means, he says, is that 'The world lives and thrives on the pyramid'. I don't really know what that means, so he simplified it for me. Something about concepts and theories. Like I said, I don't understand it.

"You'll have a hard time with him. He doesn't adjust very well, from my point of view, but other people say that he doesn't work in a team more than he has to. Nevertheless, you'll find him to be a very hard worker, but not one that is going to submit to you."

"He lives on cubes?" Granpa Pooky was lost.

"Something like that." Replied Arturur.

"Okay, why don't we take a break here." Advised the pink pixie. "That is the weirdest thing I've ever heard."

And so they took a break.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:52 pm

Who Are You?

Back to Arturur's new office...

"So tell me about yourself." Started Granpa Pooky. "What kind of person are you? Where are you from? Why are you here? What's going on in that head of yours?"

"Why am I here?" Arturur thought that was a redundant question.

"Well, yeah." Answered the pink pixie.

"Well, I'm here because my education is complete." He replied, putting his hands on his hips.

"All right, whatever. Just answer the other questions. Or make up your own. Just tell me about yourself." Granpa Pooky was trying his hardest to get him to just talk.

"I'm very impatient." Replied Arturur. "I don't like being bossed around and I hate orders. I come from a little fishing village on the coast where I was raised alongside the peasants of the village. There were enough people of our clan there to have a small boarding school..." He paused, then, "I was never very fond of living there, but I had no choice. People insisted that I have a pristine education, and they utterly demanded me to be like a monk. That's why I knew Yagrius. They actually had me around monks.

"It was a quiet little place. The people were strange and unusual, but I found that a nice background to a school life that felt like I was always surrounded by snow. There was a certain charm about it. Very relaxed and laid back. But... I don't know. I always preferred to be in a busy place, a place where things were always happening. I liked to be right in the middle of sirens.

"Yet that wasn't something you could get from living with peasants. There were so few of us that we had to bond very closely with the villagers. There was just not enough people to interact with. Our clan was too small by itself. Asterterkin hated it.

"You would think that I wouldn't have much competition, but then that's the kind of clansmen they had around me: The really, really competitive ones that had no life except to compete. That's why they were there. They would never get along with their clansmen until their educations were complete. And everyone figured that they might as well stay behind with me until I was ready too. Afterall, I am the Prince.

"But I didn't mind all that. They had totally different reasons for having me there, and none of them bad. It's just the way they wanted to raise me. They always saw it as the best alternative. I didn't entirely like it, but I had no room to argue. It was a good enough life, I suppose...

"I know this may sound random, but I really like sapphires. It was something that people utterly demanded that I must change. Not that I like them, but that I really, really like them. They just utterly demanded that my favourite gem be the emerald. I like emeralds, I do, but I have always just liked sapphires better. They told me that my favourite gem had to be a pyramid emerald. Pretty, of course, just lovely, but still not a sapphire.

"Yes, I know about that." Interrupted Granpa Pooky. "So you don't like emeralds better than sapphires, huh? That's really, really strange. Almost totally bizarre... but let's not get into that. Just continue. And I mean, don't talk about the gems any more. Just continue."

Arturur glared at him for a moment, then moved on, "I like birds. All kinds of birds. I always wanted to read more about them, but they kept taking the books away. There were some pretty field guides that I owned and I was never allowed to read it front to back. They only let me use it as a reference for certain kinds of birds. It was very annoying: Not being allowed to learn about birds. They wouldn't even let me draw them. A few, yes, but not very many...

"How about another break? I don't think I'm ready to keep talking right now." Arturur appeared to be quite done at the moment.

"Sure..." Said Granpa Pooky, but then he interjected. "I do have one question, though... Why are you so obsessed with birds?"

"It's a long story." Replied Arturur, simply.

"Yes, I'm sure it is, but don't you have a short answer for me?" He asked.

"No, not really." Said the white pixie.

"I see..." Granpa Pooky appeared to be disappointed. "I'll have to ask you about that later then. I really want to know. It bothers me."

"It shouldn't bother you. It means nothing." Explained Arturur.

"We'll see." Said the pink pixie. "Now let's get out of here. This place is turning into a tombstone. Let's talk about this stuff somewhere else next time."

"That's fine." Responded Arturur.

And so that conversation ended to continue later.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:20 pm

Trying to Get Somewhere

And so the previous conversation was continued. Arturur had preferred to open up to his grandfather and therefore that was what he had been doing. Now they were in an inside garden. It was lush with green and there was a single tree in the middle of a circular, stone path. There was a picnic table near the tree and Arturur and Granpa Pooky were sat at the table.

Arturur was talking, his mind far away and distant. "I like dice and gems and playing cards and poker chips and sticky notes. I like architecture and mathematics and mechanics and artwork and literature and programming. I like birds, ornithology. Strangely enough, I'm not interested in zoology in general, though. Craig always thought that made no sense. I mean, personally, I really don't find it strange, but other people seem to. God only knows why. So... I don't know. I'm just not interested in zoology as a whole. Animals tend to bore me if they're not in an animated cartoon or if they are not anthropomorphic. I like 'anthros'. I don't like that abbreviation, though. But I do like anthropomorphic animals.

"I like sports. Not football, I don't understand it. I like golf, though, especially mini golf. And tennis is my favourite after hurling. Basketball is fun to play, but I don't like to watch it on the television. I really have more interests than that, though, I really don't want to start a big, long conversation about sports right now.

"Um..." Arturur tried to think of something to say. "I'm not very good at this 'just meeting people' thing. It's very hard for me to know what to talk about. Let's see... um... Give me a moment." There was silence, then, "I feel like my job is the only thing that I can talk about. Just work, work, work. All the other topics feel boring to me."

"You got to talk about more than just your job." Interjected Granpa Pooky.

"But I don't like it and it just bores me." Replied Arturur, irritated with himself.

"Just give it a try." He pushed.

Arturur thought to himself for a while and then finally started again. "I've always wanted to expand on my fantasy stories with lots of drawings and sketches. Paintings too. I've always wanted to draw lots of castles and draw all the rooms and the furniture and the rugs and the items here and there. But Craig always told me that was too difficult of a task for me. He had to keep taking my pencil away. 'No', he would say. 'Do this instead'.

"Isn't that just horrible? He let other people do it. Why not me? I wanted to do it too. He said they took their time and they listened better. What utter nonsense. Can't a guy just be bored? No, I always had to do what everyone said.

"Instead of that, he let me keep inventory on everything. One of this, two of that, three-hundred of these... I really like doing inventory. I like going up and down the aisles and up and down the aisles. It's fun for me. And I like to rearrange everything. I can't walk into somebody's house and not want to rearrange their books. Or their... Well, the entire house. I can't help but want to do everything my way.

"That's why I just have to have the best administrative job there is. I have to be at the top. Otherwise, I'm miserable. Hell, I can't even stand being on a forum that I don't own. I don't want to work with some guy above me. I don't like it at all. Don't get me wrong: I like input and adding content from other people, but I just always want the first and final say.

"What if I couldn't be in charge? That would be horrible." Arturur looked up at the ceiling, his hands behind his head.

There was silence for a while, so Granpa Pooky decided to fill it up. "If I had a watch... would you keep changing the time on it?" He had a weird look on his face.

Arturur returned his eyes to his grandfather. "Why would I change your watch?" He felt like that was an odd question. "It would already have the correct time on it."

"But what if it didn't?" Continued the pink pixie. "What if I liked to keep it set to another time zone?"

"I wouldn't argue with that as long as it had a purpose." Responded Arturur, not understanding the man's point.

"What if it didn't have a purpose?" Said his grandfather. "What if I just liked it that way?"

"I would probably find that to be an annoying characteristic of your personality." He replied, giving the man a long look that was difficult to read.

"Why would it be annoying that I just liked my watch on a certain time?" Granpa Pooky was still looking for answers.

"Because it wouldn't make any sense." Responded Arturur.

"It would make sense to me." Insisted the pink pixie.

"But it would be nonsense." Arturur saw no point in it.

"But it would be my nonsense. Am I not allowed to wear my own clothes? Are you going to tell me that I have to put on some crazy, yellow suit?" He furrowed his brow.

"It depends what you put on." Arturur made an angry face.

"I see." Concluded his grandfather, mysteriously.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:43 pm

Reinventing the Wheel

"Here." Arturur handed a paper to his grandfather. "What do you think of this?" It was white with black ink.

"This looks like..." Began Granpa Pooky. "a blueprint."

"Well, it's not blue. It's an original." Explained Arturur. "I like to make floor plans. You know, put together buildings."

"I thought you said that Craig didn't let you do that?" The pink pixie gave him an odd look.

"He doesn't let me do it for my fantasy worlds, but I'm allowed to do it just in general, to learn and such." Said the doctor.

"Let me get this straight." He started, taken aback. "You're allowed to draw this stuff just so long as it isn't precisely, precisely, precisely?"

"Basically." Answered the white pixie.

"That sounds weird." Admitted Granpa Pooky, having difficulty understanding the concept.

"He didn't want me being, as you said, too precise about the drawings. And these were done by computer, not by hand. I wasn't allowed to draw it out or sketch it out, you see. So, yeah, that's why I said 'basically'."

"I see." But he really didn't. In fact, he didn't get Arturur very much at all. "Well, these look good anyway." He replied, looking at the architectural print in his hands.

"I would really like to design another 'Yellow Building." Offered the white pixie. "I think that you all could use some kind of 'side' building or buildings."

Granpa Pooky laughed at that. "Kid, we already have everything that we could ever want right here."

"Yes, but there's always room for improvement." Arturur was unmoving, apparently unaffected by what Granpa Pooky had just said.

"No, there's not." Insisted the pink pixie, with a confident smile.

"There's always room for my improvements." The doctor closed his eyes, grinning, then he reopened them. "You just haven't got used to me yet. You'll see. I'm very original."

"I'm sure you are." Confirmed Granpa Pooky. "But this particular building is absolutely efficient on its own. It's just a very professional piece of work, you see."

"No it's not." But Arturur wouldn't be convinced.

The pink pixie made a rather neutral huff. "That's kinda annoying." He didn't sound very annoyed, though.

"Everyone thinks that at first." Explained Arturur, visibly irritated.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:13 pm

The Interlude

Arturur was very angry. It didn't matter if anyone understood that or not. He was. And he was alone, because that's what he would prefer.

All the paper went flying. It didn't matter why. He was angry. And that's what he wanted to do.

"I don't like this at all!" He yelled, alone in his office with the door shut. His new office.

He growled, turning around sharply. All of a sudden, he felt pinned. He didn't enjoy feeling like he could not do whatever he pleased. Growling, growling, and more growling. He was clearly not very happy at all.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:23 pm

One, Two, Three, Four, Five

"I am not coming out of this room!" Demanded Arturur, through the door. There was an open crack at the bottom, so that people could hear what was said on both sides.

Arturur had confined himself to his office in the Yellow Building. A small group of pink pixies and a few white pixies were on the other side of the door, locked out.

"Do you really expect to live in there forever?" Asked a pink pixie, trying to get Arturur to come out.

"Yes, come on out, Arturur." Encouraged another pink pixie.

"Hell no!" Was the young doctor's response.

For a while, the people tried to get Arturur to open the door, but nothing worked. Arturur was losing patience quickly.

"Now you give me something mathematical that has to do with variables!" Exclaimed Arturur, irritated. "All I can think of are variables! Give something to me that has to do with variables otherwise you will never see me again!"

Granpa Pooky had left because he was getting on Arturur's nerves. Everyone currently there were people that had just met Arturur not that long ago.

"Why in the hell do you want that?" Asked another white pixie, curiously. It sounded like such an odd request.

"I want variables! Now!" Arturur persisted with his unusual demands.

"That doesn't make any sense." Said a different white pixie than before.

"Variables." Started Arturur, angry. "Variables, variables, variables! I want damned variables right now!"

"We don't even know what you're talking about!" Replied a pink pixie, unsure of how to calm him down.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:44 pm

I Don't Make Any Sense

Arturur was looking at his writings. And he was having a very hard time doing so. Still locked in his office, he was sitting at his desk, looking on the computer at where he had stored many of his stories. He kept reading them, over and over again. But there was something different to them now. Something that he had never noticed before.

He couldn't understand everything that he had written.

There were sentences that did not make sense. There were characterisations that never manifested their meaning. There were personal metaphors that failed to provide explanation.

In other words, much of what he had written was incomprehensible.

Once upon a time, he could remember what those same sentences meant, what those same pieces were describing. But now, after such a long time had passed since writing those stories, he actually didn't even remember what parts of them were saying. He was hitting his own wall and he realized something disturbing.

If he didn't even know what his stories meant at some point, then how in the hell did anyone else know? He read the confusing parts over and over again to no avail. They just didn't make any sense any more. Apparently, his thinking had changed too much, because he knew, he just knew that, in the past, he had been able to understand them. Afterall, that was why he had written that way.

Arturur put his head in his hands, overwhelmed. This was the truth? This was what he had never been able to understand? Why hadn't someone told him of this? Why hadn't someone brought this to light? Oh, what one little note or hint could have done. He would never have understood what they were saying, but he would have some memory of them saying it. Now he would know. But no one had ever breathed a word of it. Yes, there were a few moments where he remembered people talking about it, just a little, but nothing very clear or obvious.

Certainly, it was completely impossible for others not to notice. Especially since he had written so much so publicly. There was no way, just no way. If anyone told him the opposite, he would never believe them. Not even someone who had barely known him. His lack of skill in communication was too totally apparent.

"I don't make sense." He said to himself, staring at the screen.

Did anyone even know what he meant by "variables"?

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:13 pm

Life as a Horror Film

"This is actually pretty scary." Said Arturur, to himself. He was having a difficult time adjusting to such a radically different reality. "How can someone actually think that... they're comprehensible?" He didn't know what to say, whether it be a secret to himself or a shout for the whole world to hear. "How could I have actually believed that anyone would know what that meant? Or that? Or that? Or that?"

What a weird thing to realize. It had been happening to him for a long time now, these little realizations, but never the size of what he had recently been uncovering. Think, think, think. It was a terrible, horrible thing to go through. He just kept thinking and thinking and thinking. He couldn't stop. There was always another question and another question and he just felt like he wanted everything to slam into a wall and stop.

How in the world does someone be this way and never realize such a thing? Why didn't he understand how incomprehensible he was? Why would he think what he did? He really just didn't know.

Was it because he could keep thinking about things when others couldn't? Did it have something to do with his ability to cram, cram, cram? He knew that he had never seen anyone like himself before when it came to absorbing information. Strangely enough, however, he had very little ability to apply and that was one thing that, in a way, he had always known... if even just a little, little bit.

"I..." He then pointed to himself. "I... I'm... just outright nonsensical."

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Variables, Variables, Variables

It had been a few days since he had his little episode. But he was still having trouble. It seemed like the only one he could talk to was Granpa Pooky, and he barely even knew the man. It was just, for some reason, so easy to discuss things with his grandfather. Perhaps it was in his blood to understand him enough just to talk.

"I don't understand anything you're saying, kiddo." But obviously not enough to make sense. "Why do you keep talking about variables? What in the world are you getting at?"

"If you look at a person and you think, this step is one and this step is two. That is, when they are walking: Step one and step two and step three and step four. You can put everything that a person does into numbers. I like thinking of more and more numbers. You see, it's really easy for me to understand myself, but I have a hard time getting other people to understand me. About anything really.

"Try this: If variable one equals twenty, then variable two equals two. If this and if that and if this and if that. I like to think in "If". Millions and millions of different outcomes based on the butterfly effect of just one different number or many or tons or several or none. I really like thinking in that kind of language."

"Arturur..." Began Granpa Pooky. "Are you trying to tell me that you think about these variables all the time?"

"I think about mathematics constantly." He revealed, a mixture of different emotions rushing through him. "I mean, literally 'constantly'. As in, every moment of the day as much as possible."

Granpa Pooky gave him an odd look. "That doesn't sound crazy... That sounds so... weird, though." He didn't want to hurt his feelings and at the same time, he really needed to say something. He took a moment to think. "So you're obsessed with numerical values?"

"I guess so. If you want to call it that." Responded the white pixie. "But I like to think of it as just 'variables'."

"You sound like a calculator." Granpa Pooky made an odd face.

"No!" Interrupted Arturur, suddenly becoming annoyed. "Not like a calculator! That's too different. I don't like 'adding things up'. I like creating strings of commands by using variables."

"Well, that sounds like a computer programmer." He commented, unsure of how to respond.

"Yes and no. You can use it in a computer program, of course, but I like applying it to life as well. Like a computer programmer who enjoys putting the various activities that occur during a day into values controlled by variables. Of not just me, but other people too." Arturur was starting to really confuse his grandfather.

"What the hell...?" Granpa Pooky didn't get it. "Are you trying to turn your life into a virtual reality of mathematics?"

"Pretty much. But not 'try'. Do." Answered Arturur, calmly.

"So you've turned yourself into a computer program? Because that's what that sounds like." Said Granpa Pooky.

"Me and everyone and everything else." Arturur smiled, proudly. "It's a lot of fun. It's something that you can constantly eat. Input, input, input. I really like to learn and study and... twist things together into various categories. Like always dropping apples in the apple basket and always dropping peaches in the peach basket. It's an activity that I can do when ever and how ever I want, so it's not boring what-so-ever. Or at least, it's recently become more boring, but... now more interesting? Or more interesting. But it couldn't be that? But it is. Oh... nevermind. I am getting so confused."

Granpa Pooky gave him a strange, almost disapproving look. It took him a minute of simply staring at his grandson before he finally replied. "That is... really, really... odd. That is a terrible thing, absolutely horrible. I mean, you haven't done anything wrong, it's just... damn. You think too much."

"I enjoy it." He said, smile still there.