Any Board Gamers here?

Talk about anything that you want here. If you wish to discuss or plan specific role-plays, use the Role-playing Discussion sub-forum. Recruiting people for role-plays can also be done in the Role-playing Discussion sub-forum.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

Any Board Gamers here?

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 am

I've only just started to get beyond Monopoly/Risk into the designer game aspect of the hobby, but I'm really enjoying it so far!

I started, like a lot of people, being introduced to the European type of board game with Settlers of Cataan. Lately, I've gotten 7 Wonders for my birthday (with expansions!), and my dad and I have been learning the intricacies of Twilight Struggle (my personal favorite, at the moment).

How about you all?
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Re: Any Board Gamers here?

Post by RabidFox » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:19 pm

I really enjoyed Ticket to Ride. It's a railroad game that I had a lot of fun with. I would strongly recommend it.

Other than that, I have never really been into board games, but I have always been interested in designing them.

Image of Board Game Version
Spoiler:

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:21 pm

I played Warhammer 40K a couple times, though I suppose it doesn't quite fit into the traditional realm of board game. I found all the measuring of movement, and templates, and lots and lots of dice rolls eventually became rather tedious....the miniatures are cool though.

other than that, I haven't really played any of the more complicated European style board games.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:57 pm

Hm, I've heard of Ticket to Ride, it's very popular. Haven't gotten a chance to play yet.

There's a lot of miniature games coming out lately that are less fiddly; Krosmaster and Smallworld, for instance. If you're looking for something more narrative/thematic, Mice and Mystics might also work.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:55 am

XBox 360 actually has a digital version of Ticket to Ride in the marketplace for $9.99. I had it on the XBox 360. It was really fun and you could play with people online.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 02584108ec

Screenshot for XBox 360
Spoiler:
There's also a PC version and a downloadable version on Steam. Steam has DLC for it.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?s ... et+to+ride

Out of my own personal sense of curiosity, I have always heard about Dungeons and Dragons. Is that considered a board game? I've heard it referenced as a table top RPG, but I don't really know what that means. Has anyone played it? I've always wanted to try it, but I've never known anyone that is interested in such a thing. There's also supposed to be an online version of it, but I think it's just a standard RPG rather than a writing adventure, as it appears to be in table top version.

Speaking of table top games, I have always wondered about them. I have never actually played any, but I've always wanted to know if they really are what they seem to be. As a writer, I naturally have an interest in such things. Aren't they supposed to be some kind of free form writing based RPG's?

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:19 pm

Ah, D&D...it's actually what got me started into the world of Role Playing. Table tops, or Paper and Pen RPG's aren't quite as much of an exercise in writing as it is collaborative verbal storytelling, and if you really get into it, acting...oh, and dice rolling. The Dungeon master of course typically will have plenty of notes on what they generally have in mind as far as the story goes, and important characters the players may interact with, but of course players will inevitably do something that tries, and often succeeds in knocking the story off the rails. they are really a lot of fun, and I will always have a special soft spot for them. My favorite tabletop was always Shadowrun though, a fun mix of futuristic technology and magic.

https://app.roll20.net/sessions/new This is a great tool and community for people who want to play tabletops, but don't have any players near them.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:56 pm

I was looking for similar board games to Ticket to Ride. I found these. Perhaps we should give them a try?

Thurn and Taxis
Spoiler:
Oregon
Spoiler:
And look at this! Apparently, there is a board game version of Civilization. Now this is something that I would like to play! :idea:

Civilization Board Game Version
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:20 pm

Hm, online/digital platforms are a decent way to play board games, but I have a difficult time learning new ones when I'm not face to face with my opponent/teacher. Even if I have to learn by myself, it helps to have the physical components there in front of me while I'm reading the manual.

I've played a few table-top games (Exalted, Mutants and Masterminds), though in a forum-based environment, so movement/positioning was abstracted. They sort of... bridge the gap, I want to say, between board games and the sort of collective narrative role-playing, although technically D&D spawned/influenced both rather than connected two already existing things.

The difference is, basically, that in table top games success/failure is referred to mechanical arbiters rather than dramatic convenience over the course of the story. How "crunchy" each system is differs across games.
I rather like the idea of being able to represent my character in a mechanical framework (kind of miss the old Midas Arena for that reason), though in practice I find it a little fiddly, at least with the ones I've played. I kind of prefer having a computer handle the number-crunching rather than have to do it myself on pencil and paper.

Styx
Thief
United States of America

Post by Styx » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:48 am

I've played plenty of the more common board games (Monopoly, Candy Land, Life, Sorry, etc.) A recent one I played is Run for your Life Candyman, where you play as violent gingerbread men trying to get through Candyland with your limbs in-tact. But I've played very few of the more RPG-like board games. They do seem interesting though.

I played one game of Arkham Horror, and it was neat seeing how the game tries to take people down, throw them into some abyss zone, and end with a final boss fight against all the players, instead of the typical players playing against each other. I also played Betrayal at House on the Hill, which was really cool seeing the map build itself out depending on what direction players wanted to go.

Other than that, I've really enjoyed some deck-building games. Ascension lets you build different types of decks based on what random cards get flipped over to the middle from stacks, earning gems along the way to earn victory. But one I've really liked is the Resident Evil deck building game, where there's a bunch of resources you can buy from to build a deck, with which you explore a "mansion" deck full of monsters. I think these sorts of games can be much more fun than the typical kids board games.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:01 pm

I'd be interested in trying out some deck building games. It looks like Ascension has a PC version. Maybe it can be downloaded on Steam?

After seeing the Civilization board game, I'd like to find more games like that. It has many, many pieces and looks quite capable of being customized. Seeing all the many creative game pieces spread out on that huge table looks like candy to me. Definitely something that would take hours to play is what I would think.

arSyx
Assassin

Post by arSyx » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:38 pm

I recently got into more of these lately, particularly Muchkin and Munchkin Quest. Game nights are always a blast since my friend has lots of different board games. Friend also showed some interesting video series with Will Wheaton and some other people trying out these kinds of games; those'd be worth checking out for anyone looking for some new ones.

Also, I love D&D. A real shame because one of my friends who was a really good DM had to move away. I still play here and there with other friends though. Gonna try and get a 5e campaign running.

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:01 pm

Does anyone know of board games that are set in the Victorian time period? Even steam punk is fine.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:52 pm

A very good Victorian game is "Ladies and Gentlemen." It's very asymmetric; you're playing as a team of two, with each member of the pair either trying to climb the society ranks through purchases, or trying to gain money through stock market playing. Very thematic, quite fun.

There's also "Last Will," though that's more Edwardian/P.G. Wodehouse sort of thing. It's very Wodehousian in theme; you're rich uncle has died (hooray!), and is going to leave the bulk of his fortune to someone who knows how to spend it, since he regretted just accumulating wealth in life. So, you're given an amount of money and have to spend it as soon as possible. But, since most things you buy also generate income... it's not so easy.

"Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective" is a cooperative game. You're given mysteries, and fascimile newspapers, and must hunt for clues to solve them. See if you can beat the Great Detective!

"Letters from Whitechapel" : Another (semi)cooperative, somewhat along the lines of Scotland Yard, if you've ever played that. You're hunting Jack the Ripper!