The Lights (Open)

This is where all of the medieval Territory role-plays are archived.
Kitsunegami
Marquis
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami »

Cyric continued telling his tales, keeping his eyes on their host when he could. Then he began telling of the recent 'defeat' of Lord Evoncar's forces. He spoke as a master story-teller, speaking as though he had heard the tale first-hand from one of the defenders.

Spreading tales of the great and valiant warriors of his neighbors would bring his battle to a wider view, and make victory over them all the sweeter.

"...and so, with the final attack by the defenders of the city, they managed to drive back even the ferocious Azruk. It took a powerful blood-magus just to stop the advance." Cyrus said, as he made some grandiose motions...

Sponsor

Tal_os
Count
Count

Post by Tal_os »

(If it's ok, I would like to join in. The storyline just sounds too interesting. By the way, if you don't want me joining in, please feel free to tell me so I can remove this post.)

Near the entrance to the cave, one of the guards pulled his heavy traveling cloak closer to him. His black fur blended in almost perfectly with the cave's shadows, with the exception of some white on his paws and tail tip. The guard muttered to himself. Years of serving as an agent of the Kingdom of Domus and this was the assignment they gave him?! The fox shrugged. The artifacts in the ruins were too important to ignore. But even so! He specialized in ice magic, and even he was freezing. He was happy that he had traded his usual light armor for heavier full-body armor and a large traveling cloak. He glanced over at the leader of the expedition. He was whispering to that large bat. He couldn't make out what they where saying, so he stopped trying. He settled against the wall, and was soon asleep. He was woken up briefly when another guard started waving his arms around, talking about a siege of some sort, but he soon drifted off again.

Sade
Dysuhlian >:C
Species: Toaster

Post by Sade »

(OOC: Sorry for my absence. I was distracted by various things. You are most welcome to join us, Tal_os! The more the merrier.)

A subtle change marked the great bat's otherwise sour, brooding expression. Perhaps he had misjudged this little bat; perhaps he was no hapless treasure hunter or short-sighted scholar stumbling about in the wilderness as he first appeared, but rather someone driven to a goal sufficiently that certain... compromises could be made. The great bat could do compromises. Compromises often lead to greater rewards than otherwise evident, though in his somewhat limited experiences such greater rewards meant merely stranger relics to be near to than otherwise, as well as novel and new sources of nourishment. Nourishment for the body, mind and soul.

He wiped the saliva from his lips, his brow furrowing briefly, before returning his attention to the little bat. "I will accompany you," he hissed, "to ensure you hold true to your word."

Time passed. He lay against the sloped walls as it did and observed the other feilans in the little bat's troupe. A feline became more and more animated as he recounted a tale of battle in some far off place- the defeat of one Lord Evoncar. This Evoncar character seemed a reasonable sort. If he was finally forced from his mountains, perhaps the great bat would seek him out.

His attention shifted to the guards near the cave entrance, well built as they were. One in particular appeared to be more refined than the rest, or at least so far as the bat could see. It was a fox, or perhaps an animal similar to a fox, with jet black fur. It stood for a while, slept for a while, woke for a while, and all the time the great bat kept watch from his place deeper in the cave. He watched the fox as he bent and moved and shifted, all the while unaware of that dull tingling sensation welling up in the deeper recesses of his mind. He had to force himself to turn away, only to look back past the fox to the landscape beyond the cave.

"The storm is letting up," he said, looking to Raphael, "It is safe to travel again."

Justin
King
King

Post by Justin »

Raphael looked up suddenly. "Eh? You're coming with us? Good news... I, er... glad to have you along. Yes."

He seemed to suddenly realize what the bigger bat was on about - the winds outside the cave had died down to fearsome gusts of snow, a welcome change from the typhoon of ice that had been raging all around them when they chanced upon the bat - or her chanced on them. Was it even chance? Raphael had to wonder. Nothing was ever as simple as chance, and he knew that well.

Still, no time to waste. Not while the weather was milder.
Raphael rolled the map up in a deft motion - or tried to. When it failed he half-folded the partially rolled parchment and thrust it back inside his coat. He paused for a moment, intimidated by the prospect of breaking the group up.

Ever since he had attempted to speak to a group of Marsupial thugs in a small town, he learned to keep quiet when people outnumber you. He had also learned to stay away from Marsupials. Oh, they were cruel and evil beasts.

They could stare at you like nothing else.

But, the words of an old Frog who lived in the well three doors down from the house on the block three blocks south and one block east of the tea house where Raphael had chimney-swept about four times had once said in passing, (though Raphael was never sure if he had heard him right - but what he did hear was wise and useful enough.) "There's no time to do anything like the time in which you can do it."

And, acting on that advice, he raised his voice and called to the group, attempting to marshal them out of the cave and back into the proverbial saddle.
Last edited by Justin on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Marquis

Post by Kitsunegami »

((btw, Cyric is no guard. He has a guard. Speaking of the guard, I'm gonna change something in my previous posts in regards to the guard. Namely gender. lol))

Cyric stood up, as did his guard, when the bat spoke to the leader of the expedition. "So, Master Snuffle, am I correct to presume that there is news from our gracious host?" he said as he walked closer to Raphael, but not fully to him. His guard stood next to him, as ready as always.

"If we are ready to resume out progress, I could give the order to return to the trail. Though, if you would prefer it, you could give the orders yourself." he said as he motioned toward the entire convoy waiting in the cavern.

Justin
King
King

Post by Justin »

Raphael wheeled around, as if surprised. "News? ... ah..." his mind seemed to be unable to collect the most elementary thought for a few moments, "ah, well... I guess he's coming with us. I was able to, uh, talk him out of sending us back, I guess. Weather's nice, we can keep traveling now..." he trailed off as he stated the blatantly obvious, somewhat grasping for intelligible conversation.

Raphael appraised the convoy. "Er... yes, you have a louder voice, why don't you get them outside for me..."

With that, he wandered off to the side and grabbed his bag, rearranging some items inside it or swapping them with things in his coat. The map stayed with him, though.

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Marquis

Post by Kitsunegami »

"Everyone, prepare to return to the trail. The storm has weakened enough for us to resume traveling, now let us get the convoy back on schedule. I am certain that all of you would like to return to your loved ones as soon as possible. The quicker that we reach our destination, the sooner we may return to our homes." Cyric said, as he walked into the middle of the furs in the cave.

Tal_os
Count
Count

Post by Tal_os »

The fox, or Alex, as he preferred to be called, arouse in a foul mood. It was mainly directed at himself however. He couldn't believe he had allowed himself to stay asleep this long. He shifted his gaze around the cave, taking in his surroundings. So, they were finally moving out of the cave. He knelt down, gathered his possessions, and walked out into the sunlight.

With the storm weakening, he could appreciate how beautiful his current location was, high in the mountains. They had sent him to worse places then this. He shook his head. No time for that now. He brushed snow from his cloak, and walked over to where the Raphael was standing. Next to him was their unusual host. Alex eyed the large bat when he thought he wasn't looking. Truth be told, he felt more than a little unsettled around him. He pushed those thoughts away as well. His mind was always a little scattered in the morning. He muttered a word and a jolt of cold ran through him that did wonders for waking him up. He needed to stay focused.

He tapped Raphael on the shoulder, and spoke in a low voice. "Pardon me for interrupting, but I was wondering how far we are from the ruins."
Last edited by Tal_os on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sade

Post by Sade »

(OOC: How dare you allow an entire day to pass between posts!... just kidding.)

He stood towards the back of the chamber, eyes darting back and forth as the travelers gathered their things and began filing out of the cave. Stretching, bending, lifting- remaining calm and controlled was quickly becoming a struggle. Clouds of sensation and desire obscured his thoughts. If only the others would leave... It was the stragglers he was interested in, but one of them was Raphael, and the accursed little bat was taking an eternity shuffling around his possessions.

When the agonizing seconds had finally passed and Raphael had finally taken his leave of the now-dark cave, the great bat turned rather too eagerly toward the nearest guard- a canine of some kind- and placed a clawed hand on his shoulder. Something the storyteller had said surfaced from the mist, "...do you have loved ones, traveler?" The dog nodded, but did not elaborate. The huge bat was now between him and the exit, his great brown eyes roaming over him, his protruding canines slick with drool, "how unfortunate." The dog looked at him, than at something behind him. He turned. One of the other guards was standing there, perhaps waiting for his friend. He had been so... distracted, that he hadn't even noticed. "That is to say, it would have been unfortunate for them had anything happened to you." He released the guard, who promptly fled with the other in tow. The bat's face twisted with agony as they did. All he could do is wait for another opportunity, but the wait would not be pleasant. It had been years and years and years, after all, and now he found himself so close...

The bat hefted the mass of furs and cloth scraps back over his head and shoulders and ducked out through the mouth of the cave to join Raphael. As the black fox approached the two of them, he consoled himself with the thought that the other guard would have been a waste. There were plenty of opportunities ahead to split lone feilans away from the group; surely he would find himself alone with the fox soon enough. Thinking these thoughts, however, caused him to entirely miss the fox's question. Luckily it had been directed at Raphael and not himself.

Justin
King
King

Post by Justin »

(((OOC: Yeah, really. No problem at all. We're not in a rush, just on the slow train through fun valley. Or something.)))

Alex tapped Raphael on the shoulder, and spoke in a low voice. "Pardon me for interrupting, but I was wondering how far we are from the ruins."

Raphael glanced in the Fox's direction, great ear twitching back at the sudden and unexpected sound. "Ah! ... er... distance, you say?" Raphael placed a hand on the map, and moved to draw it out, but suddenly paused, as if stopped by an invisible hand. "We're... close enough, I think. Maybe... er, two hours until we reach it - or the start of it - at least. You can probably see the peak once we get around the.... uh... bend." Raphael smiled a little bit. "Nothing to worry about." He placed his clawed wing-hand on the Fox's shoulder and then moved off quickly to apparently attempt to head the convoy.

Tal_os
Count
Count

Post by Tal_os »

(OOC: Yeah, sorry about the long time between posts. My schedule means that I can't really access the computer until 4 in the afternoon. Except on weekends.)

Alex turned to watch the bat leave. A wide grin spread across his face. Two hours! He had expected days traveling through this frigid climate. As he turned back, he noticed the large bat had loomed up out of the cave mouth. He had a...peculiar expression on, but Alex wasn't about to let that spoil his current mood. He acknowledged the bat with a nod, and turned to leave. He pushed his way through a group of guards, and took up his position, near the end on the right side.

Alex pulled a flask out of one of his pockets, unscrewed it, took a sip, and replaced it. Turning, he struck up a lively conversation with one of the nearby travelers as the convoy continued it's slow pace up the mountain.

Sade

Post by Sade »

The black fox was conversing with another member of the little bat's convey. In the larger bat's opinion, it was waste of breath; the other traveler was plain and unremarkable. So he maneuvered himself behind the two, grabbed the other traveler by both shoulders and forcefully convinced him that he should find somewhere else to walk. He drove the other nearby feilans away by intimidation and pure force of will. Violence proved unnecessary. With them gone, he twisted his head around to look down at the black fox. "Your coloration is not typical of your kind," he spoke with an almost accusatorial tone, "who are you? Where did you come from?"

Tal_os
Count
Count

Post by Tal_os »

Alex watched as the bat (I'm not sure what else to call him) persuaded the nearby travelers to vacate the area. While on the outside he appeared calm, he was reading energy, preparing to counter-attack should the bat prove hostile. When the bat finished, and had turned to look down at him, Alex put a friendly smile on. However, when the bat started talking, his expression changed, becoming distant, and slightly nervous.

Alex waited patiently for the bat to finish. The fox then said "My name is Alex, and I come from the Kingdom of Domus. I saw this expedition, and decided I could gain a lot by joining. I could ask you the same questions. You are abnormally large for your kind, and judging by the contents of that last cave, you are a carnivore. Both of which set you apart from your average specimen." He gestured at Mr. Snuffle, who was currently leading the convoy. He turns and looks closely at the immense bat. "In all my life, I have never seen another bat like you, and I don't even know your name."

Sade

Post by Sade »

He held a sneering expression of low-key hostility as Alex fired back his own questions, but at the conclusion the expression faltered. The bat suddenly appeared distant, preoccupied, and generally morose, his eyes turning away to seek out something close yet impossibly distant. "My name is...Sade," he spoke the name as if an S were appended to the front of the word 'aid.' It was a long and drawn out, sullen word, practically a curse as he spoke it.

After a few more moments of distraction, he returned to the present and his voice picked back up, "and don't you worry about my eating habits. Plentiful sources of meat exist for those who know where to look and for what, not that the local sources are particularly... appetizing," his eyes darted around in sudden distraction before settling back on the trail. He walked alongside him in silence for a short while before looking to the head of the column and picking up the pace. Something Alex had said had piqued his interest, however another in this group of travelers was more likely to possess the answers. "I'm sure you will have gained a lot by the time this journey ends," he offered as he moved off.

A few minutes later, the enormous bat found himself alongside Raphael. "I'd be interested to know of the rest of the world," he asked, looking down at the smaller bat, "in particular, the other bats. Surely you must have known other bats in your travels?"

Justin
King
King

Post by Justin »

Raphael glanced up at the large bat who was now walking beside him. "The rest of the world?" he repeated. "Well... if you've been around this part, you've seen what a lot of the rest of the world looks like. From wasteland to green trees to rivers and mountains. This continent is unique, you know. It's got bits of everything thrown into it." Raphael glanced up at the bat.

"Well, not literally. Of course. Heh. And as for other bats, I've only ever seen my family, you, and two or three other bats in my lifetime. We're not an entirely common species. I don't even know where we come from. I've done research, of course, into it. Mum and dad didn't bother telling me where they'd come from - and more's the pity, they would have known where they came from, I think. They weren't much good, though... they tried to sell me off to flesh merchants. I barely escaped that with my life, truth be told." He smiled a bit nervously with a forced laugh, as if the memory wasn't exactly as dramatic and exciting as unpleasant.

He shrugged it off and continued trudging through the snow. "Suffice to say," he continued, rambling on, "I didn't learn much of anything useful from them. I learned most of that I know from books. Not much else to teach me when there isn't anyone else to teach me, I guess. ... But, I learned things from books that I'd never thought I could learn anywhere else. Old Magic, copulating habits of monarchs, ways to cook a catfish, ancient tales, migratory patterns of Arktik Lemmings, and more incredibly vital things. Like, one of the better things I ever found was passage in a book that mentioned that bats - at least some of us - originated from around here, in the territory. In the jungles. It said it just in passing, though. The book wasn't about bats, it was about ghosts and vampires and such things as that. That, though, was the one hint I ever found. Well, the one hint that I ever really found. I'll discover more, I know." And Raphael continued to ramble on a bit more after this, telling much but revealing little; perhaps by accident or perhaps by design.

When he tripped over his wingtip several yards later, it became somewhat more obvious what the case was.