Racing the Moonlight

This is where all of the medieval Territory role-plays are archived.
Orothe Naroom
Marquis
Marquis
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: The War in my head...
Contact:

Post by Orothe Naroom »

Nightz tried to keep up with her the best she could, trying to keep her darkness shroud around both of them, but it was getting harder and harder to concentrate, and she felt her energy quickly depleting... She followed silently behind the tiger, not wanting to disturb her.
I have left due to conflicts with a specific person...

Sponsor
 

Fell
Baron
Baron
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: Imagine...
Contact:

Post by Fell »

So apparently there was a cave somewhere nearby. Glad you finally got around to mentioning it, the rabbit thought, rather irritable. Still, what was, was. They began their quick trot west, the mouse couched between Max and himself. It was just then that the tiger-girl and the half-wit showed up. The tiger (Murr'paw? Merpau? Something like that) abruptly killed one of the offending hawks, then.... began eating it?! Lae wasn't squeamish about killing or about eating meat, but about eating other furs... That was something else entirely. Shi'Annah... Is she mad? the warrior wondered incredulously before he blocked out that thought and continued.

But the half-wit... Lae gave an angry growl, then called to her. "Hey! Half-wit! We leave; come!" he said. Short, to the point and hopefully forceful enough to get her to listen. Lae considered all his obligations filled for the moment. He had no comment on the cannibalism thing, save maybe a shudder. Well, Merpau clearly knew what she was doing... On the killing end of things, anyway. Good enough for Lae. He moved on, quickly, helping the mouse keep up when she needed it and guarding their back as they went. The hawks seemed to be thinning out anyway, but still. It was late. Perhaps the cave wouldn't be a bad place to spend the night.
-Kai

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Ichii_Ayame/BANNERFell.png[/img]

[url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=12969#12969]Lae[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=12974#12974]Zephyr[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=13424#13424]'Nique[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=14366#14366]Fenix[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=14402#14402]Junan[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=18160#18160]Sari[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=19753#19753]Niah[/url]

"Sometimes the fall kills you. Sometimes you wake up before you hit the ground. But sometimes, when you fall, you
*fly*." -[i]The Sandman[/i]

Uhlsaun Torrahel
Duke
Duke
Posts: 1001
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: On the branch above you
Contact:

Post by Uhlsaun Torrahel »

Murrpau Alti'uin looked up, her snout covered in Avian blood. She watched the rabbit, mouse, and good avian retreat. Then she looked at Nightz. "Go with them?" She'd had her fill of bird guts and was in a much better now. She rubbed her muzzle on the earth, trying to get as much of the blood off as she could. After all, not everyone agreed with eating the enemy, because they were other Furries.
[color=purple][i][b][center]"Please, would you tell me why your cat grins like that?"[/i][/b][/center][/color][color=gold]
[right]-Alice, from Alice in Wonderland
About the Cheshire Cat[/right][/color]

Madame
Duke
Duke
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:01 pm
Gender: Female
Species: Pine Marten
Location: Out of my mind, please leave a message.
Contact:

Post by Madame »

The group (as it must now be called, certainly, for a quintet is no mere trio) walked on, eyeing the dwindling stream of skinned hawks above. By the time Max called out that he could see the cave's opening, there were only two idle birds above who apparently had nothing better to do with their time or were the weakest and had been assigned the task of keeping a watch on the 'invaders'. The ravine's bottom had grown progressively rockier as they traveled, turning from the gravel-filled dirt to hard stone strewn with (more and more) the bones and sometimes the rotting corpses of various animals (sentient and dumb alike).

Megan and Maxwell exchanged glances as they passed a particularly gruesome number that was fairly fresh given the intestines that had been used to strangle it were only slightly shriveled. The secretary bird and mouse were both wondering the same thing: What on Feila was down here that the guide had warned them about? They stopped at the cave front.

"Be on your guard," Megan warned, one paw holding her and Maxwell's pack and the other placed jauntily on one boney hip. "The guide we learned 'bout this cave from said it's dreadful dangerous in there an' we'd be best to go around. Given I ain't inclined t'take on those flyin' demons again, Max an' I are headin' through, but you're all free t'go your merry ways." She walked in without further ado and Max followed after rolling his eyes with a smile. The rodent could be a little gruff to outsiders sometimes.

"Thank you all for your help, especially to you, Lae," he added as he stalked into the darkness. "And I apologize for leading that flock straight to you." With that, the pair were engulfed in darkness hoping (or at least Max was) that the others (especially the warriors) would follow. In the dark he had to place his steps carefully, but up ahead some light from the moon filtered through some holes in the roof of the cave. It would do to rest and take stock of their wounds and next move there.
Last edited by Madame on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's hard to argue against cynics - they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side."
~Molly Ivins (R.I.P.)

Extended Signature
My Art on FurAffinity

Orothe Naroom
Marquis
Marquis
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: The War in my head...
Contact:

Post by Orothe Naroom »

Nightz gave an understanding nod to Lae and turned to see the tiger, "Yes, we should follow.." She gave a warm smile before letting the darkness shroud completely fade, feeling exhausted, but was worth it, they all managed to survive the onslaught... Nightz glided to Lae, not close to being near em, but catching up enough so she wasn't going to get lost. And she wasn't going to forget the mental path to him either. She would use that at a later date. "Is everyone.. ok?"
I have left due to conflicts with a specific person...

Uhlsaun Torrahel
Duke
Duke
Posts: 1001
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: On the branch above you
Contact:

Post by Uhlsaun Torrahel »

"They're breathing, at least." Cat Wings said, looping out of the darkness behind the pack, golden eyes reflecting crimson in the light. She came to a halt at the rear of the group, tuirning so that all 132 inches and 352 pounds of her was inbetween the bad Avians and her pack. "Well, who wants to go into the creepy cave?" She asked with false cheerfulness.
[color=purple][i][b][center]"Please, would you tell me why your cat grins like that?"[/i][/b][/center][/color][color=gold]
[right]-Alice, from Alice in Wonderland
About the Cheshire Cat[/right][/color]

Orothe Naroom
Marquis
Marquis
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: The War in my head...
Contact:

Post by Orothe Naroom »

Nightz smirked, "You don't need to be my protector... I'm not scared.. Anything is better then those stupid birds... no offense to anyone I hope." she gave a smile, her eyes glowing a little light cyan color in the center, "I will be close watching.. I shall reveal myself in 4 days to replenish lost power.." Nightz closed her eyes and slowly seeped into the ground.. totally exhausted, but sleeping deep within the earth, where no shovels or tools could reach.

(Read absence forum for info.. won't be replying for 4 days on anything here.. if I even log on those days... sorry..)

((EDITED))
I have left due to conflicts with a specific person...

Fell
Baron
Baron
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: Imagine...
Contact:

Post by Fell »

Lae gave Megan a grim, somewhat wry smile when she mentioned the danger. Danger? Danger is life, he thought, somewhat amused. Megan seemed to know that, though. All of life was one danger or another, and this was no different. One danger was the flock, another was whatever was in this cave. On the bright side, there was probably only one cave-dweller. On the dark side, it seemed to have a flair for the sadistic. Ah well.

"There is no need to thank me yet," Lae told Max, following him into the cave. "Thanks are to be given with goodbyes." Lae assumed that Max had thought it goodbye, as it was uncustomary for one to give their thanks verbally before it was time for them to part. When that happened, all the thanks were given at once. That was just how it was done - for Lae. But that was not so important now. The cave was. Lae pulled his spear-covering from his belt, where he'd stuck it haphazardly after grabbing it, and turned his weapon back into a simple staff before binding it safely to his back. Spears were bad in caves. That was what his elbow blades were for. Lae drew them, two tonfas with somewhat wicked blades, and held them at the ready as he entred.

Lae's eyes soon adjusted. He was made for very dark forests, something the size of his pupils attested to at the moment. Lae heard a step behind him and whirled, letting him see both Merpau and the half-wit. The former seemed to be about to entre the cave with them (which, odd as the cat was, Lae didn't mind) and the latter was... sinking into the ground? The warrior rabbit wasn't quite sure to make of that last one, but she said that she would be four days there - he'd caught her faint words fairly easily. Best of luck, half-wit, Lae thought grudgingly. In truth, he was glad for the four day head start. Half-wit or no, she had been very irritating.

No matter, though. They had a cave to survive, and that took precedence over annoying half-wits, gratitude and everything else at the moment. The Elders had been right... The lowlands *were* dangerous, though no more so than his home. Here, he simply had no brothers. It was good that they had sent him... Lae could care well for himself in this strange, hostile land.
-Kai

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Ichii_Ayame/BANNERFell.png[/img]

[url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=12969#12969]Lae[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=12974#12974]Zephyr[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=13424#13424]'Nique[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=14366#14366]Fenix[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=14402#14402]Junan[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=18160#18160]Sari[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=19753#19753]Niah[/url]

"Sometimes the fall kills you. Sometimes you wake up before you hit the ground. But sometimes, when you fall, you
*fly*." -[i]The Sandman[/i]

Madame
Duke
Duke
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:01 pm
Gender: Female
Species: Pine Marten
Location: Out of my mind, please leave a message.
Contact:

Post by Madame »

She could hear them. Even now as they were at the very edge of her domain and treading lightly, she could hear them. But why were they here? Not because they found it sporting. No, certainly not. The bones and bodies just outside dissuaded the majority of leisure travelers in the area and the birds no longer came down to her ravine save on rare occasions when they felt they were far enough out from the mouth of her cave. Ha! But they never knew. They never knew that the earth itself was her ally and she could tell each time one of them had the audacity to venture forth on some dare or test. Then she had to punish the flock. Silly things. They’d driven her out…or at least their ancestors had driven her mother out. Very silly things.

They were moving, these brave adventurers. There were…five, no four, of them. She shifted her large ears and attuned them to the echoes dancing in shadow streams about the walls of the caverns. She had learned to hear from her mother. Eyes were truly useless in the dark places of the world, so she lived by her other senses. Smell, sound, touch. All were her friends. But why would they come here? Did she need to erect a “Keep Out!” or “Beware of Dog!” or “Solicitors Will Be Maimed!” sign? She would listen for now. Figure out why they were here and then maybe…maybe she would let them walk free to the light of day, or maybe she would kill them to keep life interesting.

She had grown weary of the world, but not of the peculiar creatures that sometimes appeared in it. Great Spirit, let them be interesting or, at the very least, entertaining.

~ ~ ~

Max was relieved that Lae was continuing with them, the cat-warrior too, but he at least knew (as well as one can know a fellow he’s just met and lived through a near massacre with) the rabbit. In truth, he was also perturbed, though. Two more animals meant two more bodies to protect aside from Megan and himself. Granted, both had proven themselves more than capable of taking on the dangers of the wider world, but it was this microcosm of Feila, this little cave with its network of tunnels and mysterious sounds, that worried him. He knew the danger that waited outside -- a flock of angry avians. Here, he had no idea what he was facing. It could be anything from a mythical dragon to a rabid chipmunk for all the information they’d been given on the matter.

“Good t’know we’ve two extra sets of eyes an’ ears,” Megan vocalized the secretary bird’s thoughts on the matter succinctly in reply to Lae’s comment about goodbyes and the feline girl’s protectiveness. “I trust you aren’t the sorts t’be a handicap, so you should come in use if we meet up with whatever it was that’s been paintin’ the ravine with blood.” She snorted. “Fashion of the day.”

“Yes, exterior decorating aside, belle,” Max interjected, “we should keep going unless anyone’s really in the mood for a res--”

“Maxwell Aveza,” the rodent of the group interrupted as she grabbed hold of the tall bird’s tail feathers. “You will stop an’ I will bandage that leg of yours proper. The last thing we need is for you t’go down in the middle of some dramatic battle because of blood loss. Am I right?” She shrugged in Cat Wings’ direction as if to say ‘Men!’.

Max sighed. She was right, of course. “I apologize for the hold up,” he said as he stopped in one of the patches of moonlight they were occasionally passing through and waited for Megan to work her magic. “Anyway, the guide told us to just continue going west through the cave if we had to go through it. I suspect the river that runs through this mark is down here as well, so if there’s no sort of bridge that might be a bit problematic. You look a bit large for me to fly you over, Lae, I trust you swim well, though.” He glanced over at the cat with avian wings. “And I don’t believe we’ve met. Maxwell.”

“And Megan!” the mouse added as she cleaned the secretary bird’s wound with a bit of cloth she wetted down with a small bottle of whiskey.
"It's hard to argue against cynics - they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side."
~Molly Ivins (R.I.P.)

Extended Signature
My Art on FurAffinity

Uhlsaun Torrahel
Duke
Duke
Posts: 1001
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: On the branch above you
Contact:

Post by Uhlsaun Torrahel »

"Murrpau Alti'uin," She greeted them with a nod of her head. "Cat Wings," she translated. "Either will do and its a pleasure to meet you, though I wish it were under better circumstances." She resisted the urge to smile, knowing her teeth were still covered in Avian blood. She was torn between taking the Point or Rear. She could protect them from eithre what was in front of them or, the Avians. She chose the Avians. "Lae take Point?" It was a sort of question, more of a request with an edge of command. "I'll keep rear." Lae's ear's would serve them best. "do we know of anything that might be lurking down here? Giant spiders, Lizards, other sorts of creepy crawlies?" She sat down, waiting for them to decide.
Last edited by Uhlsaun Torrahel on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=purple][i][b][center]"Please, would you tell me why your cat grins like that?"[/i][/b][/center][/color][color=gold]
[right]-Alice, from Alice in Wonderland
About the Cheshire Cat[/right][/color]

Orothe Naroom
Marquis
Marquis
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: The War in my head...
Contact:

Post by Orothe Naroom »

Nightz slowly worked her mind into Lae's, then into the tiger like creature, being a small shadow in the back of their minds. If they concentrated and thought hard enough, they would sense another's presence, but if they were unaware, they wouldn't feel any difference. She used the position in their mind to keep a track of where they are and what they were doing.
I have left due to conflicts with a specific person...

Fell
Baron
Baron
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: Imagine...
Contact:

Post by Fell »

Lae nodded curtly. He didn't *quite* appreciate the edge of command in Murr'pau's (that was it!) voice, but he could well serve best in the front. Maxwell was a very good fighter, but his leg was wounded. Lae did not doubt that he could fight on despite, but it would do him no favours. It would be best for Lae to kill anything he could take alone and allow Maxwell to rest. If Maxwell further wounded himself, he would simply slow them down moreso than he would if he were barely hurt.

Lae stepped to the front, moving with the cautious grace of a warrior on the battlefield. He peered at the darkness ahead of them. It was too dark even for his own fairly capable nightvision. "Do you have a torch?" he asked, the "you" a general one. Lae hadn't brought one with him as he hadn't been planning on going through any caves. And if he had found himself in need of going into one, Lae could have made a torch from the materials available first. This situation was not exactly an expected one.
-Kai

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Ichii_Ayame/BANNERFell.png[/img]

[url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=12969#12969]Lae[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=12974#12974]Zephyr[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=13424#13424]'Nique[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=14366#14366]Fenix[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=14402#14402]Junan[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=18160#18160]Sari[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=19753#19753]Niah[/url]

"Sometimes the fall kills you. Sometimes you wake up before you hit the ground. But sometimes, when you fall, you
*fly*." -[i]The Sandman[/i]

Madame
Duke
Duke
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:01 pm
Gender: Female
Species: Pine Marten
Location: Out of my mind, please leave a message.
Contact:

Post by Madame »

Megan finished tying a bandage on Maxwell's leg as the bird answered first Murr'pau, then Lae. "The guide wouldn't tell us what's down here, but the way he was talking, he thinks it's something wretchedly awful and judging from the corpses outside, it could be one or many somethings, though I'd guess just a single animal or fur...or monster. As for a torch--"

"Got one right here!" the mouse pulled out a bundle of treated wood along with some flint. A moment later, everyone watched a few sparks fly in the darkness, then a fire slowly burned to life illuminating the forbidding contours of the rocks around them and making the shadows the light failed to reach all the more sinister. Megan handed the torch to Max who held it awkwardly in his beak while the rodent put away the flint and shouldered their pack. She took the light back and held it up high. She would be useless if a fight happened, so best that she be the torch bearer and leave the warriors free to do what they did best. "Well, Max is fixed up an' I don't fancy sleepin' in some spook's cave, so we'd best be headin' west," the mouse suggested.

The quartet began moving forward where they could faintly hear the sound of running water, the rabbit, Lae, in front followed closely by the mouse, Megan, carrying the only source of light that wasn't offered by the irregular holes in the ceiling that allowed moonlight to form tiny pockets of weak illumination. Just a few paces behind, the secretary bird, Maxwell, kept his one good eye moving around as he tried to distinguish between flickering shadows and possible enemies. Last came the winged cat, Murr'pau, acting as the rear guard.

~ ~ ~

They're coming in, she realized. They're really coming in and I'm not dragging them. What funny creatures. A tiny, cruel chuckle. I only wonder if they'll survive the river...the eels haven't tasted good, living flesh in ages. Her unseeing eyes crinkled with something akin to sadistic pleasure. Oh, that would be fun to listen to.
"It's hard to argue against cynics - they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side."
~Molly Ivins (R.I.P.)

Extended Signature
My Art on FurAffinity

Uhlsaun Torrahel
Duke
Duke
Posts: 1001
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: On the branch above you
Contact:

Post by Uhlsaun Torrahel »

Murr'pau kept one ear turned towards the exit, guarding their backs, and the other turned towards her companions. One again she cursed her wings. A winged creature in a tunnel under ground might as well have been dead, thank the gods for her claws and teeth at least. She pitied the good avian, he would be at even a large r disadvantage than her. Or whould she be more of a liability? After all, she was by far the largest one there after all. shaking such thoughts oout of her had, she followed.
[color=purple][i][b][center]"Please, would you tell me why your cat grins like that?"[/i][/b][/center][/color][color=gold]
[right]-Alice, from Alice in Wonderland
About the Cheshire Cat[/right][/color]

Fell
Baron
Baron
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: Imagine...
Contact:

Post by Fell »

Lae kept himself alert as he led the group, but he heard nothing but the growing sound of water and the footsteps of those behind him - footsteps he was careful to count every minute or so. Having someone sneak up on them from behind because he'd been too careless would be a very shameful occurrence.

But nothing snuck up behind them. Nothing in the cave, save them and the water, made any noise. It didn't feel right to Lae. His fur was thoroughly on edge by the time they reached a small but, from the looks of it, deep brook in the cave. The water was a murky sapphire blue that lightened to a greenish teal at the edges - a very pretty thing in its own right.

Lae stopped and stared at it, eyes intent. "There might be lampreys," he stated curtly, now almost glaring at the water. Lampreys would be bad, and many caves had them.... Still, the water was a little too wide to jump across, for him. Perhaps the winged ones could fly across; Lae had no knowledge of how much space wings required to work. If the winged ones could fly across, perhaps they'd be able to avoid entreing the water and finding out whether or not there were lampreys completely.

Lae turned his liquid gold eyes towards his companions. "Can you fly over it?" he demanded. The thought of lampreys still had him rather cross.
-Kai

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Ichii_Ayame/BANNERFell.png[/img]

[url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=12969#12969]Lae[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=12974#12974]Zephyr[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=13424#13424]'Nique[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=14366#14366]Fenix[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=14402#14402]Junan[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=18160#18160]Sari[/url] ~ [url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?p=19753#19753]Niah[/url]

"Sometimes the fall kills you. Sometimes you wake up before you hit the ground. But sometimes, when you fall, you
*fly*." -[i]The Sandman[/i]

Locked