Skin Deep (Private)

This is where all of the medieval Territory role-plays are archived.
Madame
Duke
Duke
Species: Pine Marten

Skin Deep (Private)

Post by Madame »

(( OOC: I’m aware that this seems an improper place for this, but the main bulk of the action will be taking place in the Territory, this is just set up for a few posts and then everything will shift to this area. Seemed a bit superfluous to have two different topics when one will probably have less than 10 posts. ))

To Her Royal Highness Queen Vittoria,

Greetings from across the seas, mine fellow feline royalty. I must thank you for your beautiful coronation gift. The Oriental rug lies in mine personal chambers near mine favorite reclining chair. I write regarding recent events, however.

Presently, as mine lady is surely aware, Edwinian and Yamahan diplomats hath been engaged in discussions with the avians in the lowlands near the Black Mountains regarding protections for miners. They hath been largely unsuccessful. Whether this is due to the petulant, wild nature of the avians, I cannot say, but I have decided, at the behest of mine head diplomat, to travel to that dreaded Wild Piriqui to negotiate personally with the current Order. As this matter concerns the avian race I must bow to your superior knowledge of the creatures.

I sail from mine private port one week hence and travel first to your Court before continuing to the negotiation site. I would request your presence at the protection negotiations as much as for informative purposes as for a show of force and added bargaining leverage. Additionally, I should think it a boon to finally set eyes on you and strengthen the ties of our magnificent lands in the face of growing Gawainian sympathies and lawlessness.

I shall reach you two weeks hence. Fair you well, my lady, until we have chance to meet.

Regards,
His Royal Highness King Godric Manchester

-----

Such was the letter sent to Queen Vittoria two weeks ago as the newly crowned king of Edwin prepared for his journey to Yamaha and the Territory of the Ravens. Now, the golden-furred tom was leaning eagerly over the railing as his small sailing vessel, the King’s Glory, made its way up the Kamitsu River toward Shiroitoshi and the Palace of Senyuu.

“You really shouldn’t do that, Your Majesty,” a nasally, somewhat pretentious voice rebuked.

Godric looked around quickly, his loose, traveling garments -- golden circlet, white renn shirt, burgundy renn doublet, black belt with his dirk and a saber (for show) in black leather sheaths, simple burgundy pants and high black boots -- swaying with the movement. “But this is so exciting, Aldric!” he exclaimed, drawing a few curious looks from the sailors. “I have never imagined such a land to exist. Didst thou see the beast birds in the trees? Such colors! If such sentient avians were to exist, I do not think I could hate them.”

“Sire,” Aldric’s tabby-striped head motioned toward the eavesdropping sailors. Such proclamations were one step off from heresy in the majority opinion of Edwin.

“Oh, yes,” the Burmese king coughed. “Well, when shall we arrive in--”

“We’re nigh there, Your Majesty,” the captain, who had been listening in, replied promptly.

“Wonderful! Wilt thou join us at the bow for a look, then?” Godric’s cheshire grin was framed by his strong chin, luxurious yellow-blonde coat and friendly emerald eyes. Aldric offered an approving smirk of his own as the captain nodded quickly and led the pair to the bow where they could view the capital city of Yamaha that had just appeared from behind a screen of thick foliage.

“Ahh!”

“Are you all right, Sire?” Aldric queried.

“Of all mine days, Aldric,” the golden tom shook his head in wonder as his gaze took in the whole of the bustling port, foreign architecture, furs and dress, “this is the one I wish to remember most.”

“Reserve that judgment till death, my King,” the conservatively dressed, bespectacled tabby put in snidely and Godric prodded him subtly in his boney ribs with a good-humored smile.

-----

They docked and were led to the palace by an impressive group of soldiers dressed in their formal attire, no doubt -- to fight properly in such outfits would be suicide, though the Burmese had heard that was something honorable in this culture -- without difficulty. There were a few small groups of curious Yamahans that had to be pushed away, but they dispersed without protest.

Arriving at the palace, Godric had little time to admire the beauty of the exterior as he was ushered into a magnificent throne room. The soldiers spanned out at that point and a crier called out in a language the tom could not understand. Almost immediately, though, Aldric was at his ear, hissing a hasty translation.

“Her Majesty, Queen Vittoria.”
Last edited by Madame on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It's hard to argue against cynics - they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side."
~Molly Ivins (R.I.P.)

Extended Signature
My Art on FurAffinity

Sponsor

Zeru
Duke
Duke
Species: Derp

Post by Zeru »

To His Recently Coronated Royal Highness King Godric Manchester,

I am thrilled to hear my gift was so well received, my attendant and I spent quite some time picking it out. I heard from the Duke Cornelius of Rhode that the reception was quite spectacular. It is a shame I could not see it with mine eyes.

As far as the Avian and their ilk are concerned, I can see the frustration to be had with them. Myself, I generally try to avoid the birds. Unfortunately, as you hast mentioned, none of my diplomats hast struck any luck with the skins nor the beaks. They both seem equally unwilling to negotiate. With that in mind, your proposition for personal negotiation sounds reasonable. I will be sure to bequeath you with as much knowledge on the birds as I am able.

May your trip be a safe and healthy one. I will be sure my Royal Guard meets you upon your arrival.

Sincerely,
Her Royal Highness Queen Vittoria I of Yamaha

--

The queen paced back and forth in the royal courtyards, hands tucked neatly together in front of her. For the Queen of Yamaha, Vittoria certainly didn't look the part. Truly, she was dressed in a manner that one would expect the Queen of Domus to dress. At a young age, Vittoria's parents, Duke and Duchess, offered Vittoria's hand in marriage to the next in line for the throne as a kind of present. At the time, Domus and Yamaha had just gone through some shaky politics, and the young girl of noble blood was a bit of a peace offering to strengthen Yamaha-Domus relations. Of course, her parents had no problem offering up their girl. 'Queen' was quite an impressive title for any woman.

Even today, as she paced back and forth in her garden, Vittoria wore clothing reminiscent of the Domus Royalty. Of course, the difference between Vittoria's dressing and that of a Domus royal was the almost excessive amount of jade. Upon first arrival to Yamaha, the leopard fell in love with the prime jewel of the country. Surely, green was her colour.

Getting up in her years, at least compared to when she was first handed off to the future King Jang, the leopard still held her royal grace. In fact, it seemed to be getting greater, but that was beside the point.

"My lady, His Highness King Godric has arrived." Informed a young attendant, an eager looking little tigress.

Vittoria nodded, acknowledging the tigress's words. "Lead me to him, Fuu." The attendant bowed deeply, dipping her head a bit farther before straightening up. Turning on her heel, Fuu started off out of the court, Vittoria following. Well, Vittoria was more walking by the tigress's side, but you get the picture.

The queen stepped out, her attendant now standing far behind her. There were a good many steps separating the throne, a singular one, from the floor which visitors stood. Vittoria glided out to her royal chair, turning and bowing to the visiting king before settling herself down. A few servants moved around in the room, two standing stationary behind the queen's throne. Also standing still were a few other guards scattered throughout the room, some more visible than others.

"My most humble greetings, King Godric Manchester of Edwin."
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Ichii_Ayame/Banner_Zeru.png[/img]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=1288]My Characters (or most of them...)[/url]

Madame
Duke
Duke

Post by Madame »

“Queen Vittoria,” Godric bowed and smiled at the leopard, as he would for any lady, queen or otherwise. “It is an absolute pleasure to be in your country. The sail along your magnificent river was…” the cat paused, seemingly breathless with the wonder of his recall, “an experience I never thought possible. I have little that might compare with the splendor of Yamaha, but I offer you a gift from my native soil.” He motioned to the two Edwinian guards that had accompanied Aldric and himself and they stepped forward, one, a Persian with six notches on each ear -- "One for each mustilidae I have killed, Sire," he had replied when Godric questioned the strange scarring -- carrying a finely crafted cherry wood box, long and thin. The Burmese cat nodded to the Persian who walked up the steps to the throne, kneeling and presenting the box.

As he was doing this, the king spoke, “I have heard of mine lady’s love for jade. Though we have nothing such as it in Edwin, perhaps you shalt come to enjoy the look of emerald and sapphire equally well.” The guard opened the box to reveal a blue rose, the petals crafted of sapphire and the stem and leaves of emerald.

The golden feline smiled his roguish half-smile as the leopard inspected the gift. It was one of the few national treasures he had few qualms about giving away seeing as there were three identical ones residing in the vault back at the Astral Palace. His mother was in love with the jeweled roses and he did worry about upsetting her and being away so long, but he planned on taking her round the countryside --Aldric’s suggestion that he keep up his ties with the local gentries and appear kindly toward peasants -- when he returned, so the guilt was mitigated at least partially.

“Sire,” the genius tabby’s voice brought the king’s wandering mind back to the present. “Perhaps now would be a good time to discuss the avians and mining situation so we might be on our way. It would send a bad message if we were the ones who were late to a conference with the Order.”

“Yes, of course,” Godric whispered back. “Mine Lady,” he raised his voice, “I deeply apologize for being so forward, but shall we not retire in private to discuss the matters that have brought me to your fair Kingdom? As Duke Dawson informs me,” he motioned to Aldric briefly and the bespectacled feline bowed respectfully, “we are on a bit of a tight schedule.”
Last edited by Madame on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's hard to argue against cynics - they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side."
~Molly Ivins (R.I.P.)

Extended Signature
My Art on FurAffinity

Zeru
Duke
Duke

Post by Zeru »

OoC|| The thread, she lives!

"Ah, She is a beautiful country. I am glad you have enjoy its charm as much as I." She nodded her head, pleased to hear another royal compliment the country of which she reigned. "Hopefully soon I shall be able to regard your own land, my King. I haven't had such pleasure since my childhood." It was a fairly well-known fact that Vittoria was not born in the land she ruled. Before leaving for the strange new nation of Yamaha, the future queen had traveled to Edwin by her parents rule, to better learn how to rule.

The leopardess examined the offering, raising a hand to her chest. "Oh, my King Godric, what a beautiful reaping indeed!" The slight tigress attendant moved forward to intercept the gift for her queen. While doing so, she bowed deeply to the intimidating Persian, head becoming dangerously close to touching the floors. Hands shaking in the fear of dropping the flower, Fuu turned to hand it to Vittoria. Examining it closer for another moment, she handed it back to her young attendant. Gripping onto the box like a life raft, the young girl moved back behind her queen.

"Yes, certainly, my friend." She stood, using the arms of her throne as balance. Surely, the queen was starting to get up in her years. It had been a long while since her days in Domus. Once standing, a male snow leopard appeared beside her, opposite of the tigress. He was only a decade or so younger than Vittoria, wearing the traditional garb of a high-ranking Yamaha commander. His eyes were grey and cold, opposed to the attendant's warm brown eyes. A sword hung at his side, dangling restlessly. The cold feline was obviously one of war, and Queen Vittoria's most trusted battle adviser. His eyes briefly scrutinizing the scarred Persian.

The queen made her way down the steps, closely followed on both sides by Fuu and the snow leopard. Upon arrival before the king, she bowed her head, the two felines behind her bowing much deeper. "If you would follow me, King Godric." She straightened up, moving out of the open throne room, heading towards a somewhat small -- compared to most of the building's -- door. A guard at said door opened it for the queen and the foreign king, standing rigidly as a second guard joined him on the opposite side of the same door.

Inside was what looked like a planning room; a place for the generals to gather to discuss military moves. Hanging on the far wall was a large map of Feila. It was fairly new, as evident by the presence of the Arctic Isles and the uncharted Northern Continent. Before the map was a long, slightly curved table made of a dark, polished wood. At the middle of this table there were two large, ornate chairs, put there for the queen and visiting king. Vittoria took her seat in the large chair on the right of the other chair, the snow leopard sitting in a much less decorated chair beside her. Once everyone who needed to enter entered, the two guards would close the doors behind them. "To business, then."
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=1288]My Characters (or most of them...)[/url]

Madame
Duke
Duke

Post by Madame »

Godric returned Vittoria’s gesture, but made sure to mimic the depth of the queen. Aldric, in his brief overview of Yamahan culture, had informed the Burmese that bowing was an integral part of Yamahan daily life, but that one of the golden cat’s station would not bow lower than or longer than those around. Godric was fascinated by Yamahan customs and could easily see how one such as Vittoria could forsake her homeland to take charge of it. He resolved to question the leopardess further on Yamahan traditions when the current matter was resolved as he, Aldric and the guards followed Vittoria and her attendants.

As they reached the door, Godric paused briefly and turned to his guards. “I would request thou remainest outside,” he told the pair.

“But, Sire,” the Persian protested. “What if you need us?”

“And what should I need of guards within the safe walls of a friendly country’s palace?” The golden-furred feline smiled sadly at his guards. “Enjoyst the architecture of these walls,” he motioned to the grand room they were standing in, “while Duke Dawson and I deal with matters of the state and diplomacy. Such tedious affairs need not bother the good creatures of mine military.” The Persian looked as though he still had more to say, but deferred to his king.

“As you please, Your Highness.” He and his fellow saluted and went to stand rigidly at attention beside the Yamahan guards near the door. That small issue attended to, Godric and Aldric entered the council room and seated themselves in the chairs appropriate to their positions.

“To business, then,” the leopardess suggested.

“Aye, to business, mine Lady,” the Burmese agreed. “As stated in my letter, I sail for the Territory of the Ravens to meet with the present Order, a Lucas Kartikeya. My chief diplomat has set a meeting with the bird for two days hence on the shores of a mark…?” he glanced at Aldric briefly to confirm that this was what the avians called their tribal lands. The tabby inclined his head a fraction. “On the shores of a mark near the Black Mountains. The chieftain of that specific mark will be in attendance, as well, and I suspect the chieftain of the neighboring marks in the mountains may come. It would be simplest to deal with all of the filth in one go, so I dare say this would be convenient.

“I will be offering the same goods as mine diplomats, but it is hoped that a show of goodwill toward the avians with the ‘king himself’ will sway them.” The golden cat sighed. “I had hoped to spend mine days as king traveling to such magnificent and exotic countries as Yamaha, Domus and Kahun, not negotiating personally with savages. Still, it is what is best for my country and so I shall serve it to the best of my abilities.”

The king smiled again as he noted the pride radiating from the bespectacled tabby at his side. That small speech at the end had been improvised and obviously Aldric approved of its patriotic bend. “I feel I must be rambling, though, mine Lady. Please, stop me if I should bore you. Mine attendants hath the unfortunate habit of allowing me to carry on,” he laughed lightly, “though they assureth me it is because they enjoyth my voice. What are your thoughts upon the matter? I have come for your council on the avian. What shalt one expecteth of them?”
Last edited by Madame on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Molly Ivins (R.I.P.)

Extended Signature
My Art on FurAffinity

Zeru
Duke
Duke

Post by Zeru »

OoC|| I may suck, but I keep my promises. c:

The queen listened in thoughtfully to the foreign king's speech. Truthfully, she was quite impressed by his dialog. Thusly, she didn't really mind the fact that he was rambling on a bit. She put her hands on the table, one on top of the other. Her rounded face was displaying a friendly expression, though her green eyes stayed as sharp as ever, trained on the cat.

“Oh, it is not a problem at all, my Lord. However, as stirring as your speech was, I do not think now is the time for banter.” She smiled, “We can save that for the journey.” On that note, the snow leopard behind her cleared his throat, looking over at his queen. “Yes, quite, about the avian. Personally, I have not had very much first hand experience with them. The Ave are a restless bunch, and are quite devious. Though uneducated, they are sharp, and quick to become offended.” She nodded at the snow leopard, who in turn stood from his chair.

“This is Hikaru,” Vittoria introduced the snowy cat, who bowed towards the visiting king and his attendant. “He knows very much about both the ways of war and fighting avian. He will be briefing us about the currently projected course of action.”

“We have two ships ready, the Kyohaku and the Tsurugi. The Kyohaku will be transporting my Lord and Lady,” He dipped his head as he addressed them, “as well as myself and a small group of soldiers. The Tsurugi is a medium war ship, and will be transporting reserve troops should we need them. The reserve troops are simply a precaution, and will not be joining in our initial de-boarding, as such a group could stir the Aves.” He moved over to the large map, with both the feline grace expected from the species and the strong, deliberate movements of a seasoned warrior. He was probably around the same age as Queen Vittoria, and his face showed signs of battles past in the form of soft pink scars. The most predominant was a set of three, raking across his right eye.

“We will be sailing North up the Kamitsu. Once in the ocean, our ships will head East to the meeting point.” He tracked the movements with his finger on the map. “That is all for now.” He turned to face the royals again, and gave a deep bow before returning to his seat to the right of the queen.

“How does that sound to you, my Lord Godric?” Vittoria question, turning her gaze away from the map and towards the cat.

Madame
Duke
Duke

Post by Madame »

Godric was momentarily surprised. He hadn't expected the Queen to offer the use of her warships. He'd been expecting to take her and some of her guards upon his vessel. The cat glanced sideways at Aldric who looked similarly perturbed, though if one did not know the tabby, they would have difficulty deciphering that expression of anxiety from his predominantly blank face. The king suspected his adviser had the same thing on his mind as the Burmese did on his: hosting a diplomatic delegation on an Edwinian ship was one thing, being the delegation on a vessel of Yamahans with a warship in the wings was another. Yamaha and Edwin were on perfectly good terms with one another, but that didn't mean the foreign felines wouldn't do something treacherous to gain an advantage over the most powerful ruler in the world.

Carefully clearing all signs of suspicion from his face and voice, Godric spoke as a born diplomat would. "That doth sound most excellent, Sir Hikaru. However, I would recommend restocking the provisions of the vessel I came upon and using her and the complement of Edwinian guards to further boost our battle readiness. I have great faith in the Yamahan warriors," the cat added gracefully, "but I feel that we must makes use of all objects at our disposal. This, and she carries gifts for the Order that mine diplomats suggested I bring."

The delicate tactical maneuver spoken, the golden liar smiled simply at the Yamahan noble and her attendants. "And if that is truly all, then I would suggest being on our way promptly. As you statest correctly, mine Lady Vittoria, now is not the time for idle chitchat. I shall have the captain of the King's Glory informed and mine possessions transferred to the Kyohaku along with those of mine adviser, Duke Dawson..." he felt the flick of Aldric's tail against his own below the table. "Also I should request at least two of mine guards accompany me on the Kyohaku. It is, of course, nothing personal, I say. Mine guards are merely cognizant of mine needs and moods more readily than strangers."

((OOC: If you wanna have us on the ship and on our merry way in the next post, I can make the post after that with us having reached the Territory after many weary weeks of travel. Then Todd will finally get to join us...yay!=D Also, I'll be going back to edit Godric's dialog because I've found a good site for Old English speech, so he'll be referring to Vittoria now as 'you' rather than 'thee/thou' as that is, apparently, the more formal means of address.))
~Molly Ivins (R.I.P.)

Extended Signature
My Art on FurAffinity