Dying is easy. Art is difficult. (open to all)

This is where all of the medieval Yamaha role-plays are archived.
Ferran_Thornstone
Cub
Cub

Dying is easy. Art is difficult. (open to all)

Post by Ferran_Thornstone »

Deric gave a slight yawn, smiling as he looked through the book of Feilan art history. It spoke of several of the greatest artists of their world, haling from almost every nation on the planet. He couldn't help but give an inward chuckle of pride at how many had started from Aquilon like him, or in areas that were known for great talents. He stood up and went to place the book back on the shelf he had taken it from, only to find someone had carelessly put another book from a different section in the spot. "One would think a place such as this would not have such lazy students, though thinking on it, it is an academy for those who wish to be possibly be free from former strict loves." he said with a smile, placing his book in the spot after pulling out the misplaced one. "the chronicles of Sirran the entranced." he read the cover, shrugging as he placed it on a nearby library cart.

(a note for those who come to this thread, the plot of this rp will actually be based around that little "misplaced" book, and I have a little bit of an idea where I want it to head, though input from those who want to join is greatly appreciated as teamwork on an rp is key)

Sponsor

Kael
God
God
Species: Panther or Dragon

Re: Dying is easy. Art is difficult. (open to all)

Post by Kael »

Maker was sitting in a chair, drawing. He was always drawing... It didn't matter what. His hand flew over the paper, sketching the scene in front of him [you]. As he finished it, the figures in the drawing... moved. They lifted itself off the paper and started moving. It looked like a miniature copy of Deric. It acted a lot like him, but on a much smaller scale. Maker just gave a smile, then ignored it.
Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work: "Hello. Can't work today, still queer." ~Robin Tyler

War. Rape. Murder. Poverty. Equal rights for gays. Guess which one the Southern Baptist Convention is protesting? ~The Value of Families

Did you hear about the Scottish drag queen? He wore pants. ~Lynn Lavner

Why can't they have gay people in the army? Personally, I think they are just afraid of a thousand guys with M16s going, "Who'd you call a faggot?" ~John Stewart

Soldiers who are not afraid of guns, bombs, capture, torture or death say they are afraid of homosexuals. Clearly we should not be used as soldiers; we should be used as weapons. ~Letter to the editor, The Advocate

SnickerdoodleBlack
Rogue
Rogue
Species: Maine Coon

Post by SnickerdoodleBlack »

Erin sighed heavily. She was supposed to be taking notes, but that was just so boring. She slid her note paper closer and started doodling on it. Circle, curve, loop, straight, and a few sketchy lines to make it look cooler... Once she was satisfied, she looked up nervously to be sure nobody was watching her draw. That always made her uncomfortable.
Woah, that kid! she thought, eyes widening at the scene before her. What's up with his drawing? It was coming off the paper! The artist just smiled simply and acted as if it was nothing.
But then Erin noticed what he was drawing. And then Erin noticed the subject. And then Erin saw the boy place the book on a cart.
The feline stood up, put her writing utensil down, and tiptoed over to the book. The Chronicles of Sirran the Entranced.

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

The figures crumpled, having lost Maker's focus. He had gone on to draw the next thing, a girl who had come over to where the first had been. His quick movements caught it in a couple seconds, and then this one lifted off, opening the book and paging through it.

Maker was a 5'5" 20 year old Lion. He had cut his mane short a long while back, having had it interfere with drawing. His eyes were kaleidascope, ever changing, and they seemedto capture every detail. He wore a simple tunic which was tailored to cover an extra part of one arm.
Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work: "Hello. Can't work today, still queer." ~Robin Tyler

War. Rape. Murder. Poverty. Equal rights for gays. Guess which one the Southern Baptist Convention is protesting? ~The Value of Families

Why can't they have gay people in the army? Personally, I think they are just afraid of a thousand guys with M16s going, "Who'd you call a faggot?" ~John Stewart

Soldiers who are not afraid of guns, bombs, capture, torture or death say they are afraid of homosexuals. Clearly we should not be used as soldiers; we should be used as weapons. ~Letter to the editor, The Advocate

SnickerdoodleBlack
Rogue
Rogue

Thirteen-year-old Eridanus continued admiring the book. It was seven and a half inches long, eight and a half inches wide, and an inch thick. The tome was bound in dark turquoise leather and in very poor shape. Thumbing through it, the smoke tortoiseshell Maine Coon observed many color illustrations of strange plants and animals she'd neither seen nor heard of before. Erin closed the book, and turning around, she saw that the lion who had drawn the first picture had drawn a second. She recognized the figure immediately.
"Woah, you drew me!" the green-eyed girl cried with delight.

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

Maker smiled, still quiet. He nodded, continuing to add details to the figure. As he did so, it grew, until it was the same size as Eridanus. It then walked over and stood gawking at the exact copy of itself. It was obviously intelligent, with a mind of its own.

SnickerdoodleBlack
Rogue
Rogue

"How do you do that?" the five-foot adolescent asked eagerly. She reached out a hand to touch the live drawing, not sure how the copy of herself would react. It did seem to be conscious and intelligent, after all. For a doodle, even one that came to life, it was extraordinarily realistic. The experience was like looking in some sort of mirror that behaved differently.

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

The copy did the exact movements she did. After all, it was her... It had the feel of real skin, and yielded just like real skin.

Maker shrugged. "I really don't know, it just... happens.."

SnickerdoodleBlack
Rogue
Rogue

Erin was so busy touching and playing with the copy of herself she almost didn't hear his answer. But when she did, the girl responded, "Well, maybe it's like a manifestation of magic in your blood or something. If your ancestors had any sort of powers that could trigger it." She wanted to continue on, rambling about technicalities and logic and ancestry and magic, but realized that would only make for a very one-sided conversation, so she stopped and took her eyes off her hand-drawn twin.
"So what's your name? Mine's Eridanus Black, but I prefer Erin."

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

It responded in the exact voice she had. "Odd, that's mine too."

Maker stood and walked over. "This," he said as he put his hand on the copy's shoulder, "is an exact copy of you. It has all the same characteristics as you, save one. Water destroys her." The copy shuddered at 'water,' and Maker smiled kindly. "Come, the paper beckons," he whispered, and the copy returned to being just a really good piece of art.

SnickerdoodleBlack
Rogue
Rogue

"Wow," Erin said, quite impressed. "Only water? You'd think fire would hurt too... Like I said, it's still amazing. But you didn't tell me your name." Erin blinked at him curiously. Shifting her weight, she waited for an answer from the short-haired lion.

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

"I use vellum too, but fire hurts most of my pieces. Vellum I prefer, as it is strong and resists fire and water, so paints work best." Maker was rambling, art being his thing. Then he blinked, stopping. "Sorry. Call me Maker. Please." He was slightly awkward saying this, as he didn't talk very much. Art was his one exception. Anything else was bad.

SnickerdoodleBlack
Rogue
Rogue

"Okay, Maker." Erin was a little bit disappointed when the other stopped his speech about art. She may not have been a great artist, but she did like practicing and found the topic fascinating. The young girl also noted the hint of discomfort in his introduction. Probably an introvert, not many close friends, she deduced, perhaps had issues in his childhood? Erin wasn't super socially adept herself, but her psychotic moods occasionally made her very bubbly and outgoing. She also liked testing her mental skills trying to use "The Science of Deduction and Analysis" on people she met, just for fun. "So..." Erin really couldn't think of anything to say. "Have you ever read that book?" She gestured to The Chronicles of Sirran the Entranced.

((I wonder if Ferran_Thornstone is ever going to post again.))

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

[probably left the site, SO LET'S TAKE OVER THE THREAD!]

Maker shook his head. "Never. Can't exactly read without destroying books..." He would always doodle. Pissed off all the scholars.

SnickerdoodleBlack
Rogue
Rogue

"Ah. Doodling in the school texts? That's hardly a good idea." Erin grinned. "I tend to restrict my drawings to homework, drawing paper, and anything my pencil happens to be pressed to at the moment, but I wouldn't draw in a book because I actually really like reading. Though I haven't read this one either... I wonder what it's about?" Though Erin did think it would be a good read, she had no idea the old, leatherbound volume would actually play a large role in her, and Maker's, immediate future.

((Brilliant!! Also, hint of foreshadowing to try and pull the plot forwards. But do you think me adding your character's name in there counts as god-modding? I'll fix it if you don't like.))