Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

A couple of RP tips for you, and perhaps some help for me?

Looking for an art or writing tutorial? Or perhaps you have your own art or writing advice that you would like to share? If so, then this is the place.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

A couple of RP tips for you, and perhaps some help for me?

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:43 pm

First, don't decide events/outcomes of a thread too far in advance, even collaboratively. It will become something of a slog, with everything that happens before that predetermined point appearing to be a time-wasting obstacle to the continuance of the story. And, if for whatever reason you don't post for a while, it is almost impossible to start momentum up again.

Second, try to avoid if possible situations in which you have two of your characters talking to themselves, with a lot to say, and little input from the others. This goes double if one of the characters you're controlling is explaining previous events to the other. It's hard enough to write a long post, and it is doubly tedious when it doesn't interact much with anyone else's.
As a sub-note to this; controlling multiple characters at once is exhausting. Do this sparingly.

At any rate, that's my personal experience. I'm in a couple of threads right now that I'm currently holding up because I can't get motivated to jump back into them again, from a combination of either of these two reasons. It's mostly my fault, in these instances, and I'm sorry for holding everyone up. I don't want to just kill the threads right here, but I'm also leery of forcing myself to go through with things I'm not enjoying much, lest it stop being fun altogether.

So, anyone who's in one of these stalled threads with me, can you help me out here? I don't want to leave you all hanging. I've got new ideas I want to try, but also a backlog of old hanging threads that I keep opening up without being able to come up with anything.
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Rackenhammer's RP Experience "blog"

e-mail: [email protected]

All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

Sade
Dysuhlian >:C
Species: Toaster

Re: A couple of RP tips for you, and perhaps some help for me?

Post by Sade » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:26 pm

I sympathize with you, Rackenhammer. I've left and come back and left again a couple times. Every time I return, though, things eventually begin to bog down. Roleplays grow larger and larger, more and more complex, and as a result they slow right down while planning- and daydreaming- leave them in the dust. It turns into a chore, trying to slog your way from one plot point to the next. It stops being fun and starts being a chore; that thing you have to get done today but just want an excuse to push off till tomorrow.

I continue to have all kinds of neat ideas bounce around my head, but I feel like I have to keep them confined there lest I once again start a thread only to drop it a month or two later at everyone else's expense.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:37 pm

You've pretty much nailed that description of RP burnout.

Interestingly enough; not to sound like a feckless admin, but I'm also a very active participant on another RP forum altogether, and for the last couple of months or so I've been *much* more engaged in what was going on there, and I think I've learned quite a bit about how to set up a thread that will actually be engaging.

I think the key is to keep communication open; set forth beforehand what the style of the thread is going to be, but after that, leave it up to the players. But after that, leave the players to their own initiative. Encourage them to just do what they feel is in-character and take the consequences, rather than have to ask permission beforehand lest their idea disrupt the plot.
The most memorable threads I've been in generally involved this, when all participants knew what sort of thread this was going to be, and so had a kind of understanding about what was appropriate; and then just fired off ideas that bounced off of each other and made a kind of chain reaction.

I would like to give a shout-out to arsyx here, who set up a Coronation thread for the new Mazan King. This is a thread about politics, with amabassadors and notables meeting and sizing each other up. Potential for intrigue is high, and I'm excited to read each post as it comes in, and writing my own post in my head as I read them. But not my next 3 posts, and most certainly not anyone else's post.

I'll try to set up more threads like that in the future.
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Rackenhammer's RP Experience "blog"

e-mail: [email protected]

All my characters in their insane length

arSyx
Assassin

Post by arSyx » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:05 am

Seems I've already broken two of these with my most recent post... >.< Tried to tie in aspects from everyone's posts. My apologies though. Shouldn't be as much a problem for future posts.

I am flattered to be mentioned positively though. Glad I've got others' interest invested in it. c: