Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

The Comprehensive List of Feilan Character Stereotypes

Looking for an art or writing tutorial? Or perhaps you have your own art or writing advice that you would like to share? If so, then this is the place.
JamesG
Inquisitor

The Comprehensive List of Feilan Character Stereotypes

Post by JamesG » Tue May 18, 2010 1:52 am

PART ONE - THE LIST OF CHARACTER TRAITS

This is a list I wrote based on my experiences on this forum in reading and role-playing with different characters. It is a series of yes or no questions. The more times you know your character would have to answer 'Yes', the more I have seen the device or trait in other characters. These tend to be over-used, cliche and stereotypical. Is this bad? Well, not always, but if you are interested in creativity and making interesting characters, particularly characters you want people to be able to relate to, then this list may be helpful.

1. Does your character have any psychological defect or abnormality?

2. Is your character's family entirely, or mostly deceased?

3. Is your character a private military contractor, mercenary, assassin, or such occupation that includes murder in its description?

4. Is your character able to operate, carry and otherwise show proficient skill in the use of more than one weapon type?

5. Is your character inhabited by a demon, ghost or other supernatural phenomena?

6. Can your character alter its form in order that it might spend a period of time in a heightened state. ie: Does it have a 'super' form?

7. Is your character able to repel or otherwise survive with no noticeable effects all attacks directed at it?

8. Is your character unoccupied, that is with no discernable job?

9. Is your character homeless, or otherwise with no permanent residence?

10. Has your character's family been abusive or otherwise unsupportive to an abnormal level?

11. Is your character wise beyond its years, or otherwise shows knowledge on most subjects discussed?

12. Is your character capable of any degree of murder, manslaughter, aggravated assault, or any violent crime without feeling any negative emotion?

13. Is your character undisturbed when witnessing acts of murder, manslaughter, aggravated assault or any violent crime?

14. Does your character's magical power, if any, have the capability to alter the landscape on a large scale, or affect a multitude of objects, structures or persons within a certain radius on a large scale?

15. Is your character unaffected by shocking scenes, surprises, extraordinary or unbelievable events?

16. Has your character any form of amnesia, short or long term memory loss or any associated memory problems?

17. Has your character any form of memory problem that prevents memory of its parents or family members?

18. Has your character's conception or birth been influenced by a god or other supernatural power?

19. Is your character cursed by a god, supernatural phenomena or similar?

20. Is your character an orphan, or has otherwised been raised by an alternate guardian than its parents or immediate family members?

21. Has your character ever been enslaved, born into slavery or otherwise spent some part of its life a slave?

22. Does your character always say the right thing at the right moment, or is otherwise incapable of making mistakes?

PART TWO - FEILA-SPECIFIC STEREOTYPES

This is a short list I am making of the various stereotypical, cliche or overused character types I see in different eras of Feila. It is site specific, but can be applied to general settings and genres. I am only doing it for settings that suffer from cliche alot. Most people seem to understand how the modern Age works, thankfully.

MEDIAEVAL

1. Is your character an assassin?

2. Is your character a thief?

3. Is your character under 25 years of age?

4. Is your character a traveller or wanderer?

5. Is your character wearing anachronistic clothing? (ie: Trousers, jeans, trenchcoats, T-shirts, etc.)

6. Does your character speak anachronistically? (ie: uses idioms, phrases or expressions clearly derived from 18th, 19th, 20th or 21st century slang or colloquialism. Eg: "You're screwed", an expression from the early 1700s.)

7. Is your character atheistic, or otherwise 'not religious'?

8. Is your character afraid, distrusting, angry or filled with hate in regards to Nobility or Royalty?

9. Is your character's clothing inconsistent with the usual dress for the region or weather? (ie: Going bare-pawed through an Arctic blizzard.)

10. Is your character's clothing inconsistent with social norms in regards to armouring? (ie: Wearing full plate armour whilst going to buy a loaf of bread.)

AGE OF STEAM

1. Is your character an inventor?

2. Is your character a mechanic?

3. Is your character otherwise involved in the running of machinery?

4. Does your character dress with goggles?

5. Is your character atheistic, or otherwise 'not religious'?

6. Is your character dressed inconsistently with the standards of the 19th century, particularly in Victorian style, whilst in public? (ie: Missing coat, hat, shoes, trousers or any variant thereof. Industrial workers, sailors and other such labourers are excused.)

7. Does your character have any steam-powered hand-held implements, or similar?

8. If so, do these implements have a mysterious ability to dissipate heat, contain a small fire safely, not generate any smoke or constant steam, or have the mysterious ability to run endlessly without refilling with water or coal?

9. Does your character work with any steam-powered machinery that is capable of running infinitely, contains a lit furnace which does not generate smoke or boiler that does not generate constant steam, or is not suitably heated by its operation? (ie: Anything not consistent with steam engines.)

10. Does your character speak anachronistically? (ie: uses idioms, phrases or expressions clearly derived from the 20th or 21st century slang or colloquialisms.)

AGE OF CYBORGS

1. Does your character participate in or support covert action against the Party?

2. Is your character resistant to any doctrine of the Party?

3. Is your character mysteriously capable of breaking into Party buildings?

4. Is your character mysteriously capable of eluding the Party's police or military by violent action?

5. Does your character attack Party members or property with no covert action at all?

6. Does your character have cybernetic implants that allow the character to maintain powered flight?

7. Does your character own a mech or similar articulated vehicle in Edwin that is armed, self-built or otherwise blatantly against Party doctrine?

8. Does your character have any weapon in Edwin that is considered antique for no adequately explained reason? (ie: Anything created in this century, or any century before it. eg; revolvers, muskets, swords.)

9. Does your character have any vehicle in Edwin considered antique for no adequately explained reason? (ie: Cars built in the 20th or 21st century.)

PART THREE - PHYSICAL TRAITS

Below is a list of physical attributes, be they dress, species, age, etc., that are, on this forum, cliche, overused or stereotypical.

1. Is your character a wolf, or any derivative thereof? (A survey I conducted a while ago concluded that the average Feilan character was a 16 year old male wolf)

2. Is your character a fox, or any derivative thereof? (The survey found foxes to be the second most common.)

3. Is your character between 16 and 18, inclusive? (A survey I conducted a while ago concluded that the average Feilan character was a 16 year old male wolf)

4. Is your character unnaturally old?

5. Is your character wearing trousers regardless of time period, age, occasion or rank?

6. Does your character have any unexplained or unusual proficiency with a weapon or weapons with no prior mentioned formal training?

7. Does your character fail to ever feel tired, physically exhausted, out of breath or lacking in energy?

8. Does your character fail to exist within the limits of the laws of physics determining the conservation of energy and momentum?

9. Is your character able to scale buildings or other obstacles with acrobatic efficiency, with no prior mentioned formal training?

10. Is your character incapable of dancing? (I actually have never seen any Feilan character dance in an RP, mine included.)

PART FOUR - THE USUAL LOADOUT

This section details the equipment that is used over, and over, and over, in any Age.

1. Does your character own a katana?

2. Does your character own a trenchcoat?

3. Does your character (Both sexes inclusive) wear revealing clothing as day-to-day wear?

4. Does your character wear abnormally colourful clothing as day-to-day wear? (ie: Not for special occasions, ceremonies or fancy-dress masquerades.)

---

I shall add more as I think of it, or is suggested.
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

Sponsor

Jackie Haystack
God

Re: The Comprehensive List of Feilan Character Stereotypes

Post by Jackie Haystack » Tue May 18, 2010 2:15 am

I got six on the entire list so I think I'm not doing too bad, it comes from having the pacifistic characters I guess as due to lethal fights natures it becomes a kinda one up manship thing for a lot of people so that their character can legtimately not get hurt, XD

But, on the list of my own stereotypes:

1) is the character often found to be socially useless
2) is the character a cross dresser or show any other signs of gender abnormality
3) I guess in cyborg I have a penchant for synthetics but that's just period really.

Somnia
Outlaw
Species: Rat.

Post by Somnia » Tue May 18, 2010 4:23 am

Well yes, many of the things on this list are only negative if combined with several other things. I try not to go over three on any individual character. Although the character I had on my brain (Burnum) that I ran through this questionnaire answered yes to... zero. Hooray for the feather duster.

I do believe this list could do with a more comprehensive "physical attribute" section. This forum needs more animals that require Googling to know what they look like. That way, it's an educational experience. Also, why no love for the above 25 group? If anyone out there without a character over that age is reading this, may I suggest that you snap to it. They're infinitely more interesting.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain.
Characters!

JamesG
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG » Tue May 18, 2010 5:08 am

Hm, I had not thought of physical attributes. I shall add the ones I can think of that are most used.
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

Rainwhisker
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Post by Rainwhisker » Tue May 18, 2010 9:33 am

JamesG wrote:PART ONE - THE LIST OF CHARACTER TRAITS

1. Does your character have any psychological defect or abnormality?
None of my characters are psychologically disturbed, except for Galford who's half posessed because of a curse, and Luke has a gift to see spirits.

2. Is your character's family entirely, or mostly deceased?
Galford lost both his mother and father at some point. Victy Danch lost both parents too, but he has an uncle and adopted sister. Feres has a foster family. The rest have normal families as far as I can recall.

3. Is your character a private military contractor, mercenary, assassin, or such occupation that includes murder in its description?
Ty is the only assassin in my list. Roo may be part of the mafia, but he doesn't really prefer murder as an occupation...

4. Is your character able to operate, carry and otherwise show proficient skill in the use of more than one weapon type?
None of them are proficient in many weapons except for Fangloup, who also is really only capable of using his hand-to-hand, Tachi and a bit on his bow and nothing in terms of magic (save for controlling the flow of chi in his body, but that's really not magic...should change that description.)

5. Is your character inhabited by a demon, ghost or other supernatural phenomena?
Galford is most definitely cursed. Luke can see spirits, though, but he's not likely to get possessed.

6. Can your character alter its form in order that it might spend a period of time in a heightened state. ie: Does it have a 'super' form?
Definietly not...at least, not willingly and even then I don't think they even can, never mind.

7. Is your character able to repel or otherwise survive with no noticeable effects all attacks directed at it?
Not in the slightest. None can shrug off attacks in a one-liner or paragraph post unless it absolutely makes sense (aka avoid or die, but plenty of cover, etc).

8. Is your character unoccupied, that is with no discernable job?
Rye's a drifter, Feres is an archaeologist by trade so he travels, Garyuu Fangloup is taking a break from excavating, Zack is on a personal vendetta mission, no time to search ruins. Victy Danch is off solving the mystery to his strange sister, no time for school.

9. Is your character homeless, or otherwise with no permanent residence?
Rye's the only homeless person because he...doesn't really have one, given the setting. Ty travels, but he has his own place elsewhere.

10. Has your character's family been abusive or otherwise unsupportive to an abnormal level?
Nope. While Victy doesn't always like his dad, and could care less about everything, he grew to like his mother, Lyra, and has a strange stab of respect for his late dad. Garwynn is a similar case. He grew distant from his dad and ended up dueling him for his life, but he always shed a tear for the ideals his father had.

11. Is your character wise beyond its years, or otherwise shows knowledge on most subjects discussed?
Zack's naturally intelligent, and knows a wide range of subjects related to magic, but he doesn't know everything. Likewise, Fang knows a lot about weapons and fighting styles, and Feres knows a lot about herbs, ecosystems and wildlife. No one is omniscient.

12. Is your character capable of any degree of murder, manslaughter, aggravated assault, or any violent crime without feeling any negative emotion?
Perhaps the ones often exposed to violence and have a belief that they have to do it as a means of survival won't be affected much (Rye, Ty, Roo, Feres, Zack, Fang, Galford/Gailardia, Garwynn) but none of them are emotionless killers without any feeling when they have to commit violence.

13. Is your character undisturbed when witnessing acts of murder, manslaughter, aggravated assault or any violent crime?
See above. Those more domesticated (Reeve and Feres in the present) would definitely be disturbed, however.

14. Does your character's magical power, if any, have the capability to alter the landscape on a large scale, or affect a multitude of objects, structures or persons within a certain radius on a large scale?
Not a tall...possibly collaborating between 2-3 people or groups might be able to (Matthiews' Lightfang and Fangloup families could pull off something together, for example.)

15. Is your character unaffected by shocking scenes, surprises, extraordinary or unbelievable events?
That...depends on what the scene may be. And the circumstance. Some may expect something, but I really don't think any would be unaffected.

16. Has your character any form of amnesia, short or long term memory loss or any associated memory problems?
Rye is the only character with this issue, as for Reala...I don't know. I kind of feel disconnected from her...Ty might not remember his parents, but he certainly has a good memory.

17. Has your character any form of memory problem that prevents memory of its parents or family members?
See above.

18. Has your character's conception or birth been influenced by a god or other supernatural power?
Hahahah. Galford and Revant fall into this. Galford was born the minute a cursed dagger struck his mother in the middle of a ritual. Likewise, so did Revant and Arden. All three of them are by default, cursed.

19. Is your character cursed by a god, supernatural phenomena or similar?
See above - Galford, Revant...

20. Is your character an orphan, or has otherwised been raised by an alternate guardian than its parents or immediate family members?
Feres.

21. Has your character ever been enslaved, born into slavery or otherwise spent some part of its life a slave?
Nope.
Well, all my characters say yes to at least a few of these questions - but most of those are just backstory traits such as posessed by a demon, etc. Nothing major really, all of them have at least developed backstories which I feel is more than enough to get over the stereotype. Most are also quite battle-hardened, so they're usually fine with normal instances of seeing murder or death. But anything beyond the norm, I don' think the characters I have would really be immune to that...

PART TWO - FEILA-SPECIFIC STEREOTYPES
MEDIAEVAL

1. Is your character an assassin?
In medieval? No.

2. Is your character a thief?
A thief...no, not by common definition. Sure, they've been branded as scavengers, thieves, grave robbers, but Feres, Zack, and Fang and their families are really excavating stuff...and none of them steal unless it's necessary to get a better end.

3. Is your character under 25 years of age?
See character list...a lot are under 25, but some are close to 25.

4. Is your character a traveller or wanderer?
Yep. They travel but that's their job - adventuring and excavating. Not random drifters with infinite pockets of gold.

5. Is your character wearing anachronistic clothing? (ie: Trousers, jeans, trenchcoats, T-shirts, etc.)
These don't exist....

6. Does your character speak anachronistically? (ie: uses idioms, phrases or expressions clearly derived from 18th, 19th, 20th or 21st century slang or colloquialism. Eg: "You're screwed", an expression from the early 1700s.)
Some would - in medieval, probably Fang.

7. Is your character atheistic, or otherwise 'not religious'?
Nay, they all have their own beliefs, some more religious than the rest, some just not sure if they can put in their faith.

8. Is your character afraid, distrusting, angry or filled with hate in regards to Nobility or Royalty?
Feres is, but he's learned not to judge by rank so suddenly. No one's directly prejudiced in my list, hum...save for Luke.

9. Is your character's clothing inconsistent with the usual dress for the region or weather? (ie: Going bare-pawed through an Arctic blizzard.)
Hell no...they'd freeze!

10. Is your character's clothing inconsistent with social norms in regards to armouring? (ie: Wearing full plate armour whilst going to buy a loaf of bread.)
Nope. Not unless it's a side trip on the way.

AGE OF STEAM

1. Is your character an inventor?
Nope. Gailardia doesn't invent things.

2. Is your character a mechanic?
Gailardia fixes stuff, but that's not his main occupation.

3. Is your character otherwise involved in the running of machinery?
Running of machinery, no. Unless you count a pistol-longsword one, no.

4. Does your character dress with goggles?
Gailardia's old-school-style. He doesn't know what goggles are for! Just kidding...

5. Is your character atheistic, or otherwise 'not religious'?
Gailardia's never found a firm standing with religion. Has stuff to do with his past.

6. Is your character dressed inconsistently with the standards of the 19th century, particularly in Victorian style, whilst in public? (ie: Missing coat, hat, shoes, trousers or any variant thereof. Industrial workers, sailors and other such labourers are excused.)
Nope, Gailardia's a snazzy dresser. Old fashioned, too. So may be off here and there.

7. Does your character have any steam-powered hand-held implements, or similar?
Nope. His longsword-revolver needs no steam.

8. If so, do these implements have a mysterious ability to dissipate heat, contain a small fire safely, not generate any smoke or constant steam, or have the mysterious ability to run endlessly without refilling with water or coal?
Gears need oiling, there's no way the gun can be used without regular maintenance...not to mention in those days, things were crazy inefficient compared to today...smoke, dust, etc...

9. Does your character work with any steam-powered machinery that is capable of running infinitely, contains a lit furnace which does not generate smoke or boiler that does not generate constant steam, or is not suitably heated by its operation? (ie: Anything not consistent with steam engines.)
See above.

10. Does your character speak anachronistically? (ie: uses idioms, phrases or expressions clearly derived from the 20th or 21st century slang or colloquialisms.)
Nope. In fact, Gailardia speaks in an older tongue.

PART THREE - PHYSICAL TRAITS

Below is a list of physical attributes, be they dress, species, age, etc., that are, on this forum, cliche, overused or stereotypical.

1. Is your character a wolf, or any derivative thereof? (A survey I conducted a while ago concluded that the average Feilan character was a 16 year old male wolf)
I only have one wolf.

2. Is your character a fox, or any derivative thereof? (The survey found foxes to be the second most common.)
Nope.

3. Is your character between 16 and 18, inclusive? (A survey I conducted a while ago concluded that the average Feilan character was a 16 year old male wolf)
Luke's the only 18 year old Calico.

4. Is your character unnaturally old?
Unnaturally old? Gailardia fits that book nicely.

5. Is your character wearing trousers regardless of time period, age, occasion or rank?
...nope. Only one wearing trousers would be Roo, but even then he'd probably prefer denim.

6. Does your character have any unexplained or unusual proficiency with a weapon or weapons with no prior mentioned formal training?
...of course not, they have to practice first.

7. Does your character fail to ever feel tired, physically exhausted, out of breath or lacking in energy?
No, they all tire all the same. Some may have more energy than others, though.

8. Does your character fail to exist within the limits of the laws of physics determining the conservation of energy and momentum?
Isn't this the same as the last question? Well...actually, maybe not. But they all confide to laws of physics. They splat if they fall off a cliff. (Though, my idea of physics may be odd now and then! Not to mention some bits of cinematography of sorts to make their running jump far more dramatic. Of course, it's all really more plausible than jumping and surviving a 100 meter drop...)

9. Is your character able to scale buildings or other obstacles with acrobatic efficiency, with no prior mentioned formal training?
Not a chance...

10. Is your character incapable of dancing? (I actually have never seen any Feilan character dance in an RP, mine included.)
...none of my characters ever dance, and neither do I ever see them likely to dance -- mainly because none of them are interested. So maybe they can't dance right away, but with practice (or a desire to...) actually, Zack enjoys balls, so he probably would.
---
I skipped Cyborgs since I didn't have any characters of that era.

Overall, I don't have 1 character having too many stereotypes. Ehehe. I'm a guy that really craves for originality, or a well done rendition of a sort-of-common character. Aside from that I also love keeping things under lore and reality.
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Duchess
Baron

Post by Duchess » Tue May 18, 2010 12:19 pm

Ha! Ten points for me, Kali doesn't tick any of the boxes!!

... or does this mean he's crazily boring? O.o

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami » Tue May 18, 2010 2:59 pm

I have too many characters to go through all of this. XD

Suffice to say that most of my characters have a great number of "yes", but "no" wins out for the yes:no ratio. ^_^

Btw, James... STOP CALLING ME OUT ON THE AGE OF STEAM!!! XD
I swear that my one and only age of steam character gets yes TWICE for every question specific to the age of steam! lol

FallenLeaf
Count
Species: Mephitis (Skunk)

Post by FallenLeaf » Wed May 19, 2010 1:20 am

Off on a bit of a tangent...

I've always wondered what it would be like to play a party agent in the age of cyborgs. >.>

Just a thought...

I'll shut up now and stick to roleplaying like I tend to... ^ ^
"A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones" ` Proverbs 17:22

JamesG
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG » Wed May 19, 2010 2:37 am

Well, the Party is always recruiting. Join Now! And get free dental. Evil looking uniform included. :D

My Characters

zakorath
Duke
Species: Raccoon
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Wed May 19, 2010 9:19 am

I like it. A lot of my chars have stereotypical parts, but none have too many.

The only char who picks up a lot of yeses is Vacuus, but that was kind of the point of him.

On the idea of physical attributes all the species specific ones could be amalgamated into: "Is your character a canidae?"
Last edited by zakorath on Wed May 19, 2010 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Wed May 19, 2010 9:22 am

Sorry to double post, but I forgot dancing!

Dancing: check this out! See, there. it DOES happen occasionally.

Jackie Haystack
God

Post by Jackie Haystack » Wed May 19, 2010 12:11 pm

Actually Zack it's: is your character a bad ass canid who is under 25? :P Also, Katana and trench coats are optional.

LittleWing
Marquis

Post by LittleWing » Wed May 19, 2010 12:20 pm

Hahaha a few of my characters apply here.

But, I also have a character that dances! hahah
^ click for characters

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Wed May 19, 2010 12:37 pm

@ jackie - HAHA! So true. But trenchcoats are pretty awesome, though... I want one.

aww... I made myself feel the sting of trenchcoatlessness...