The Comprehensive List of Feilan Character Stereotypes

Looking for an art or writing tutorial? Or perhaps you have your own art or writing advice that you would like to share? If so, then this is the place.
JamesG
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Re: The Comprehensive List of Feilan Character Stereotypes

Post by JamesG »

AHA! I forgot about katanas. Damn things pop up everywhere.
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

Sponsor

Rainwhisker
King
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Post by Rainwhisker »

Oh yes. Katanas...

The only character that uses them is Fangloup, but hey -- it makes sense for his backstory!! D: D:

And yup, he's also a wolf...not below 20 though!
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Vendace
Thief
Thief
Location: Roaming the fields of Avalon. Wait...What do you mean it's all in my head?

Post by Vendace »

Hehe, yeah...I'm still trying to figure out the whole deal with katanas...After all, there's other weapons out there! X3

None of my characters use 'em, actually...They use mostly European weapons (Well...Except for Gaiden's tonfas). Hell, I've had to explain what a zwiehander is before O_o
Whatever it is, I didn't do it!

Colonel Jade Curtiss: He'll whip ya and laugh about it X3

List of characters!

Rainwhisker
King
King

Post by Rainwhisker »

Mmmm, Zweihanders. :D

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Somnia
Outlaw
Outlaw
Species: Rat.

Post by Somnia »

Let's see... there's the xiphos, the jian, the spatha, the yatagan, the katzbalger, the kilij, the wakizashi, the ida, the tulwar, the saif, the shamshir, the itak (or bolo knife), the kamplian, the odachi, the nodachi, the zhanmadao (horse chopper), the macana, the machuahuitl, the kirpan, the schiavona (basket hilt), the mameluke, the estoc, the rapier, the... well, you get the point. I feel your pain Vendace. One often has to simplify the name of their weapon to avoid sloppy miscommunications. Nobody seems to want to research. Also, can you believe that the only weapon on this list that Microsoft Word recognized was the rapier? Oddly enough... it recognizes katana too. I have a challenge to anyone reading this: If Microsoft Word recognizes the name of your sharp, pointy object, pick something else. An intellectual environment breeds improvement for us all, correct?
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain.
Characters!

Rainwhisker
King
King

Post by Rainwhisker »

Hahahah.

Interesting thought, Somnia.

How many people would know a kris/keris anyway?

There's a bajillion ways to simply say 'sword', and most of the time we just have 'sword' in another language, with a couple adjectives latched onto it for description. Kilij are essentially middle-eastern scimitars. Of course, the design of it is not exactly the same.

Katana is SO general. There are, as you say, a ton of types of katana - Nodachi, Tachi, Wakizashi, etc...

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

My Muse Hates Me
Thief
Thief

Post by My Muse Hates Me »

My biggest issue is using language not typical of the time period. But I NEED to be that way. I would go absolutely insane trying to do the whole "M'lord, hast thou gone to war before? Tis no easy task for any a man. Thy soul must be strong, and thou must be effective with thy blade." In fact, I'd quit before I'd ever do that outside of example. o.O
~ Don't try to RP with me if you aren't literate. It will end badly. ~

Characters(will add profile links as available):

Tethebi, or Tet - male cobra
Llorne - male nudibranch/sea slug
Alexys - female doberman
Gunter - male rottweiler
Zeah - female human
Hazel - female skin avian (Zeah's incarnation outside of The Twilight Zone)

My Muse Hates Me
Thief
Thief

Post by My Muse Hates Me »

Vendace wrote:Hehe, yeah...I'm still trying to figure out the whole deal with katanas...After all, there's other weapons out there! X3

None of my characters use 'em, actually...They use mostly European weapons (Well...Except for Gaiden's tonfas). Hell, I've had to explain what a zwiehander is before O_o
Another tonfa wielder? I wasn't expecting that, heh. Nice characters, though~
~ Don't try to RP with me if you aren't literate. It will end badly. ~

Characters(will add profile links as available):

Tethebi, or Tet - male cobra
Llorne - male nudibranch/sea slug
Alexys - female doberman
Gunter - male rottweiler
Zeah - female human
Hazel - female skin avian (Zeah's incarnation outside of The Twilight Zone)

JamesG
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG »

My Muse Hates Me wrote:My biggest issue is using language not typical of the time period. But I NEED to be that way. I would go absolutely insane trying to do the whole "M'lord, hast thou gone to war before? Tis no easy task for any a man. Thy soul must be strong, and thou must be effective with thy blade." In fact, I'd quit before I'd ever do that outside of example. o.O
Well, actually, that is pretty modern English, the sort of thing you'd hear out of Shakespeare. Middle English, used around our time period, sounded more like this:

Whan that Aueryłł wt his shoures soote,
The droghte of Marcħ, hath perced to the roote;
And bathed euery veyne in swich lycour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan zephirus eek wt his sweete breeth,
Inspired hath in euery holt and heeth;
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne,
Hath in the Ram, his half cours yronne;
And smale foweles, maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open iye;
So priketh hem nature, in hir corages,
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrymages;
And Palmeres for to seeken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kouthe in sondry londes;
And specially, from euery shyres ende,
Of Engelond to Caunterbury they wende;
The holy blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan þt they weere seeke.

So, as you can see, I'm not asking for heightened language or Middle English. I am just saying I see alot of people using expressions that are jarringly anachronistic with the time. I had one RP where my mediaeval lord was told that he was 'screwed'. It just clashes with the settings and characters.
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

Somnia
Outlaw
Outlaw

Post by Somnia »

Uh-oh, does that mean that everyone in the middle ages spoke entirely in rhymes? We're all "screwed", then. As for the lack of dancing, I'm honestly amazed to hear that it doesn't happen here often. Hell, the second RP I participated in involved my character dancing. By the way, James, don't forget to add revealing clothing in ludicrous colors to the overused equipment section!

As with all of these stereotypes, it's when an attribute is present to make the character stand out rather than to develop them that it starts treading into boring territory. The good news about forum RP is that because other people are involved, there can be no such thing as a perfect god character unless the others participating allow that person to continue trashing all common sense with their ludicrous character. Also, you'd be amazed at how much language can modify a character. No one person can be considered beautiful by everyone. Someone might see the person as "willowy" or "elegant", while another sees "spindly" and "pompous". Put yourself in your character's shoes, take into consideration the cultural attitudes towards beauty of the era in which you are RPing.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain.
Characters!

JamesG
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG »

Good point. I saw an Age of Steam character running around in what can only be described as gypsy clothing on steroids. :P

My Characters

Jackie Haystack
God
God

Post by Jackie Haystack »

Skimpy outfits on women full stop

Women with overly large... you know

Women who objectify themselves

I'm sure you can get a common theme going on here >.>

JamesG
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG »

Yes, strange outfits are on the list. To be honest, I have not noticed the second two suggestions. Although it reminds me of this other forum I was in, in which my friend's Space-Victorian-British race were confronted by an interplanetary diplomat that qualified to your first two points, much to their horror at the lady's lack of dignity. :P

My Characters

Duchess
Baron
Baron

Post by Duchess »

JamesG wrote:
My Muse Hates Me wrote:My biggest issue is using language not typical of the time period. But I NEED to be that way. I would go absolutely insane trying to do the whole "M'lord, hast thou gone to war before? Tis no easy task for any a man. Thy soul must be strong, and thou must be effective with thy blade." In fact, I'd quit before I'd ever do that outside of example. o.O
Well, actually, that is pretty modern English, the sort of thing you'd hear out of Shakespeare. Middle English, used around our time period, sounded more like this:

Whan that Aueryłł wt his shoures soote,
The droghte of Marcħ, hath perced to the roote;
And bathed euery veyne in swich lycour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan zephirus eek wt his sweete breeth,
Inspired hath in euery holt and heeth;
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne,
Hath in the Ram, his half cours yronne;
And smale foweles, maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open iye;
So priketh hem nature, in hir corages,
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrymages;
And Palmeres for to seeken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kouthe in sondry londes;
And specially, from euery shyres ende,
Of Engelond to Caunterbury they wende;
The holy blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan þt they weere seeke.

So, as you can see, I'm not asking for heightened language or Middle English. I am just saying I see alot of people using expressions that are jarringly anachronistic with the time. I had one RP where my mediaeval lord was told that he was 'screwed'. It just clashes with the settings and characters.

Back on language (sorry guys I simply live in the past! :P) I think it's unfair and highly so to criticize this.

We have lands where the native language is much like the worlds Arabic for example, naturally we just assume there's a translation and I've always been running on the concept that this extended out to old language (not Shakespeare's I'm afraid, the man was revered for his unusual use of english, not all spoke in rhyming couplets, hehe :P) and futuristic language also.

We can't expect the language or the etiquette to remain how it is ... this ones a bit of a blind stab in the night :roll: :p

So being told you're 'screwed'? Translates to an uncouth mouth, la-ruffian version of 'in trouble', ie it can be scorned heh heh heh! 8)

What IS important is mannerisms more than anything perhaps? I'm not sure :P

WHILST we're on the topic of stereotypes, I think we've got to be more careful than this :-/

For a start you've got to look at why it is people resort heavily to them. They're usually young or a little bit unconfident or not easily as creative. I know I certainly used to tick quite a few boxes ...

Whilst these are being listed I think it's pointing all of this out to them.

Let's say 14 year old kid comes in here, new to RPing, dead hopeful, dead excited, dead pleased at how friendly this place looks, creates a wolf-- wolves are cool, but is scared of not being taken seriously = let's make him a dark, brooding angst filled character, they're always awesome! And so on yada yada ya.

.... so he comes here, realises they tick most boxes and suddenly feels like he's awful (he never claimed to be good) at writing, feels hurt and a little bit unoriginal now. This fantastic image and idea he had brewing in his emo little cranium, burst like bobbles in the breeze.

We all know what it's like to have a character to enthuse about--- do we know what it's like to have that character 'misunderstood'? Nasty as hell, I won't lie, I've been almost frustrated to tears in the past by a character being taken badly.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for original character creation, but I'd prefer the natural lead by example basis :(

Perhaps I'm too soft under the scalp, but I think when people create a Mary Sue they know it by the way other characters react to them and they wonder why other, less happening characters get more attention from the experienced RPers. The best way to ensure change is to let a person question themselves, no one who can create a character ike that will listen perfectly when you tell them outright.

They just have to learn on their own ... or at least I think :(

Sorry if I've second guessed any of you here .... I honestly didn't mean to. :oops:

Somnia
Outlaw
Outlaw

Post by Somnia »

Responding to Duchess' comment about the language, I see where you're coming from. Now that I think of it, a thread where a bunch of people were tossed together who spoke completely different languages but were forced to find a way to communicate despite the language barrier could be quite fun... but I digress. I just wonder if these anachronistic terms couldn't be replaced by something more eloquent. One thing I find incredibly silly is when a character is abducted overseas (or something to that effect), but can magically speak their captors language, even if the abducted is Edwinish and their captors Kahunian. For further reading, visit here or here (love that site, by the way).

Well, as for aforementioned emo kid, it's not as if any characters that tick even every single one of these boxes is going to be stoned to death immediately upon entering this community (at least not by me). This seems to be a list to encourage improvement and variety amongst the creations, not a list of guidelines and rules. In my opinion, any person whose RP post counts are under ten should be given some leniency anyway, even if their character is a one winged angel or a god and the poster has no knowledge whatsoever of forum etiquette. We were all newbies at one time, and often some of the most outlandish and confusing ones can be coaxed into sensibility. If they refuse to change their methods and continue being toeheads, then f*** em'. When I was considering joining this forum, I read just about damn everything I could about RP forums/the world of Feila and still managed to screw the first RP thread I was in to oblivion.
Characters!