Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

The Comprehensive List of Feilan Character Stereotypes

Looking for an art or writing tutorial? Or perhaps you have your own art or writing advice that you would like to share? If so, then this is the place.
Jackie Haystack
God

Re: The Comprehensive List of Feilan Character Stereotypes

Post by Jackie Haystack » Fri May 21, 2010 4:53 am

Yeah, those last two were on the basis of rp'ers I've seen else where (and to some extent myself I must admit though the objectification tends to have good basis behind it)

On that note, I think the issue here is those two words: good basis, when making a character, if someone asked 'why' to most things, then I feel characters would come out much better and much less cheesey.

Sponsor

Guynio
Outlaw

Post by Guynio » Fri May 21, 2010 6:34 am

I have one more stereotype;

-Does your character always say the right thing at the right moment, or is otherwise incapable of making mistakes?
We do what we must, because we can ~Glados

[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4379&start=0]Click here for Devo's character sheet![/url]

[url=http://guynio.mypersonality.info][img]http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/194595.png[/img][/url]

Rainwhisker
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Post by Rainwhisker » Fri May 21, 2010 6:51 am

Oh, that is nice, Guynio.

And yeah, asking Why to each feature your character has usually results in at least a REASON. :D
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

JamesG
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG » Fri May 21, 2010 7:20 am

Whilst I understand where you are coming from, Duchess, you have to remember that the forum is already extremely lenient. We require no approvals, no permissions and we do not technically deny a character from RPing unless it is blatantly against rules. The last time we actually seriously denied a character was when we read about one that could literally jump 1 mile (1.6 kilometres), amongst other ludicrous powers. This list is not a set of rules, it is a set of observations and advice given to those that want to avoid the trends in Feila that we see so often.

I think my experiences here are a valuable record of every character I have read, so if people are wondering 'Has this been done a million times before me?" they can find the answer on the site. :D

In regards to the confidence of new members, seeing this list is not a condemnation. Improvement comes with the realisation that you can do better.

In regards to your comment that my criticism of language is unfair, I find some people's lack of any concept of time, place, occasion or style in regards to Mediaeval role-plays to be not only ridiculous in terms of a setting that professes itself to be fantasy and mediaeval, but also unpleasantly common. I have had the King of the Arctic addressed in American slang at one point. I don't know if I am being 'fair', but I insist that I am being honest. We write these settings for characters of a certain time. Part of RPing in any setting is being IN CHARACTER. Characters are not simply mouthpieces for how a member would act, or like to act, in a situation, which is where these problem of both language and infallibility of actions lies. You might like to tell someone they are 'screwed', and you may like to be invincible in any fight, but that is your wish. Your character should be someone else, who actually lives in this setting, was born and raised in it, and therefore adheres to it. Otherwise we might as well say 'This setting has swords and magic, and furries. OK, go!' and leave it at that.
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Fri May 21, 2010 8:32 am

Yeah, I'm kinda with James.

Or am I missing the point of your post? D:

I grit my teeth and grate them when I hear 20th century slang used in a serious RP setting where it's clearly medieval (I consider Kirjath an exception to that rule because well, he has a reason for that). I'm not asking for old, pre-shakespeare english myself, since, face it, I doubt many would even get it (or bother) if they had to write stacks of lines of rhymes.

I don't mind using a rather modern form of speech (if we had to learn old style english to RP a medieval setting, that's really taxing), but keeping in character's important. You can't really expect a "Yo, whatsup" in a setting where it's modeled after our own history. The setting is as such, so we really want characters to be in character.

As for the language issue, I'm also annoyed at how, when the setting does include languages for every country, we actually have people ignoring that. That's fine and dandy enough since the goal IS to have fun, but, I'm a sucker for realism and being in-tune with lore, soooo yeah...it's annoying.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

zakorath
Duke
Species: Raccoon
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Fri May 21, 2010 10:57 am

I think it's more enjoyable to RP in the language of the time, also. It's not just for chronology's sake, but also for the enjoyment of both the player and that character. I have great fun writing lines for Vacuus because of his odd mix of language over time. Also, Edgar is very fun, with his speech being in rhyme.

And speaking of writing in rhyme, that's somewhat easier in Medieval times due to the different syntax to modern English. Certain words can be rhymed easier, and in old English they appear at the end of sentences where in modern they appear in the middle.

What I would like to see, if anything, is an evolution of the English language in the Age Of Cyborgs. I know there's new words due to the increased tech, but I mean like the slang would be completely evolved from what we have now. Contracted words, may be even shorter, or perhaps (God forbid) everyone talks in text speak.

Language is important in all ages, not only for chronology, and accuracy, but also for the fun of writing in a way you would never dream of talking...

Duchess
Baron

Post by Duchess » Fri May 21, 2010 11:01 am

Oh ... you have me all wrong guys ... I wasn't saying there was any problem with your criticism ... I'm simply just suggesting that you have to keep an open mind on the other side ... I'm not saying that you aren't doing that either ... I just, well am looking at the other side of the coin. :oops:

I've roleplayed long enough to see completely where you're coming from, I just remember being new to the world and getting really barked at for doing something wrong.

I took it a little hard and couldn't touch anything literate for six months. I know the other person never meant to upset me, but... I dunno, just worrying for the other sensitive duckeggs out there :P I must have been ... oooh thirteen! That was a long, long time ago! :P

Sorry ...

*is kinda naturally inclined to side with the underdog :(

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Fri May 21, 2010 11:24 am

Just so you know. I hadn't even seen your original post here, and I wasn't ranting at you, or anyone in particular, I was just agreeing with JamesG that "I have had the King of the Arctic addressed in American slang at one point." is a bit too far in terms of misused language.

So... Nothing aimed at you, Duchie... And apologies if it seemed like I was.

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami » Fri May 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Yea, I usually try to type in proper English whenever I post. That way people can understand what I'm saying as being closer to period than "Yo, what-up, my homie?" lol gawd that hurt to type. XD

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

@Duchess: Yeah, more than half my post was more in agreement to James than against you. ^^

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

JamesG
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG » Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

@ Zakorath, we do have a very limited change of language in the Age of Cyborgs, but it's mainly Party-based words like unperson or counter-social, as opposed to more universal slang.

It may interest you to know we have a pretty nice list of slang words for the Age of Space, which I think sound quite fun to use. :P

I may try and come up with more 'Cyborg-talk' in the future. :D

@ Duchess, I was PMed a lot by RabidFox in the first few weeks I was here, because I forgot or did not read rules. I'd like to think the administration still PMs people in a nice enough way so that people do not get upset. ;)
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

Jackie Haystack
God

Post by Jackie Haystack » Fri May 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Yes, the administration here are a bit like the Monty Python's spanish inqusition. They do genuinely want to help but are fated with what can be a cruel job. I've had it first hand :P

And yes... character stereotype topics could be a bit discouraging to new players but I think Feila's community in general is supportive enough to ensure that people realise 'stereotypes are there for a reason' in that they are popular as played well they add depth and can be fun to rp as.

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Fri May 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Good to hear there's some future slang coming. You should look at the cursing in Judge Dredd comics.

I'd agree with Jackie about the poor admins having to be cruel sometimes to just help people. The admin 'rule reminders' are nice enough not to induce fear, which when telling people off is probably the best you can hope for.

Sade
Dysuhlian >:C
Species: Toaster

Post by Sade » Sun May 23, 2010 10:15 am

My mission in life is clear: I must find an excuse to have my villain characters dance!

DometriusKing
Assassin

Post by DometriusKing » Sun May 23, 2010 7:01 pm

As regards Section 3, Article 10.

Everybody Starts Somewhere, Kingdom of Edwin. The pine martin in that RP did some dancing, though I admit she is distinctly cliche in a few other things... lol. All good though, If you hasn't seen it, James, like as not it is a first, and props to Littlewing!
Klatoo... Berata... Necrohmmhmmnnnm... THERE... SEE... I SAID YOUR WORDS!