Stalking the Streets of Old Nottingham Town

The most powerful of the nations of Feila, ruled by the Feline. The current system of government is a Feudalist Monarchy, with counties presided over by nobles, whom answer to the monarch. The military, being the Edwinish Army and Edwinish Royal Navy, whilst second largest in numbers, is the most effective fighting force in Feila. It is geographically connected to its larger neighbour, Gawain. Similar to Earth's medieval England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.
FangsOfTheCongo
Peasant
Peasant
Species: Otter

Re: Stalking the Streets of Old Nottingham Town

Post by FangsOfTheCongo »

Stromnor nodded and grinned, unable to stop himself from cracking a wide grin of happiness that revealed some of his sharp teeth. He caught Freya's eye and sheepishly shut his mouth, trying not to look too needy. His mind still reeled with joy. I'm going to get a job and a sea one at that! Stromnor twisted his arm around to look at his cutlass tattoo when the dragoness mentioned it. It was a small one, and therefore would be pretty easy to blot out by a bigger tattoo.

The rat nodded confirmation when Freya noted that he should be sure about this job. He speedily ran through good sailor qualities he had and recited them aloud to her. Under the command of a pirate captain, he had learned many essential nautical terms as well as the importance of obedience. Under the reign of Captain Scrawldon, a disobedient crew member would be flogged almost instantly and without question, or, in Scrawldon's worst moods, run through by the sea rat's cutlass. Stromnor swallowed nervously as he said this, ignoring the pale look on the tavern-keeper's face.

"Well, Freya, it is nice seeing you again," he continued, keeping level eye contact as best as he could. His heart pounded as he gazed into the dragoness's eyes, and he sat there almost staring. Only when he felt a crooked smile curving the corners of his mouth did he quickly regain composure. He abruptly cleared his throat loudly and blinked several times rapidly. His tail swished with concern as he again glanced at her. He felt his fur tinge a very slight red. The rat was unsure; did she merely think he was losing composure or did she think the truth?
Stromnor Scartail Jade Swimmer and Slinker Farol
|D |D |D ;) -memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4401
FangsOfTheCongo

Sponsor

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya offered a genuine smile of her own in response to Stromnor's grin. She nodded as he ran down the list of qualities he felt would make him a good fit for the Edwinish navy. She looked a bit taken aback when he mentioned how his previous captain had dealt with disobedience. "That seems a bit disproportionately harsh." She replied quietly. "I can promise you that death is a punishment for only the most egregious offenses in the navy....treason, mutiny...that sort of thing." She replied. "Though disobedience is still dealt with, depending on the severity of the infraction." She shrugged as if admitting her knowledge only went so far. "I operate a bit outside the command structures most of the time." she admitted.

She smiled again. "It's nice seeing you again too." She replied. She paused for a moment to finish off her drink, watching him over the top of the mug. She tilted her head a bit, looking curious for a moment when he cleared his throat. "Did you have any plans for today." She asked as if there was nothing out of the ordinary.

FangsOfTheCongo
Peasant
Peasant
Species: Otter

Post by FangsOfTheCongo »

Stromnor's entire body relaxed a bit as she explained that the Navy's conditions wouldn't nearly be as harsh as Scrawldon's. He ordered a mug of milk with a couple shillings, sipping it as he nodded with confirmation. "Well, Scrawldon has always been a mad type. Most of the crew hated him, save for my father, who is the reason for Scrawldon's captaincy. Of course, most of the time he was taking care of me, so I'm not entirely sure whether or not he noticed." The rat took another sip, stared into his cup with a wry expression, and placed it back on the counter. He craned his neck and glared at the tavern-keeper. The wildcat peered inside, licked it, and almost vomited. He immediately went to get a fresher milk.

Stromnor was completely taken aback, and at the same time relieved, when she appeared to not notice his mess up. She would need to know at some point, but they had known each other for only a little while, so he was going to give it a bit of time for him to get to know her better. She asked again if he had any plans today, and he paused. What am I going to do? It's gonna take a while to head all the way to the south Edwinish coast on foot.

"I probably could use some time to fix up my life with the help of that money you gave me." He grinned and gestured to himself. "Were it not for you, I'd still be a starving beggar in the streets. I could get used to more than a meal a day." Stromnor meant every word. He hated being hungry with a passion, and craved food of all sorts with an appetite. He was actually a pretty plump rodent back on Ratveil, but ever since his fallout with his captain without a farthing to spare, he had gotten used to going to sleep with a grumbling stomach. The rat looked down at himself. He was still rather skinny, but hopefully on a better diet he could achieve a healthier state.
Stromnor Scartail Jade Swimmer and Slinker Farol
|D |D |D ;) -memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4401
FangsOfTheCongo