Stalking the Streets of Old Nottingham Town

The most powerful of the nations of Feila, ruled by the Feline. The current system of government is a Feudalist Monarchy, with counties presided over by nobles, whom answer to the monarch. The military, being the Edwinish Army and Edwinish Royal Navy, whilst second largest in numbers, is the most effective fighting force in Feila. It is geographically connected to its larger neighbour, Gawain. Similar to Earth's medieval England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.
Asyriel
God
God

Re: Stalking the Streets of Old Nottingham Town

Post by Asyriel »

Freya's smile was one of sincere joy when Stromnor took the coins, and thanked her. "You're welcome. I'm happy to have helped." She replied. She listened carefully as he started listing off his skills. She tilted her head a bit as she ran the listed skills through her head, thinking about where he could apply them. She looked down at the blade he showed, and nodded. "It looks like a good blade." She commented as she scrutinized it. She chuckled as he finished sharing his skills. "Well, while you're skillset is quite suited for being on a ship...which makes sense...you may be able to find work as a merchant's guard if you decide you prefer to stay on land." She offered.

She nodded as he told her he'd see her around. "Okay, I'll come by and see how you're doing." She replied as she did some mental math, and pulled several more coins, though these weren't guineas, from her tunic to pay for the meals and some extra. She got up from her seat "If you decide to join up with the navy, tell them I sent you." She paused as if unsure how to word what she wanted to say next. "If you want to see me before I get a chance to stop by, feel free to come to the palace. You'll just have to let the guards know who you are, and that you're looking for me." She told him before she turned toward the door.
Sponsor

FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue
Species: Otter

Post by FangsOfTheCongo »

Stromnor nodded as she exited the tavern, taking note of everything she said. He smiled, watching her silhouette fade into the crowd of Old Nottingham Town at night. I do hope I see her again.

The rat turned to the old tavern-keeper. He was a wildcat with very unkempt ginger fur, although, with all the buildup of filth on his pelt, the color shaded to a kind of burnt umber. He looked down at Stromnor with watery green eyes. "You want something?" he asked, his voice cracking with age.

Stromnor nodded and placed a Guinea on the counter. "I'd like a room for the better part of a month." The feline smiled and revealed brilliantly-white fangs that greatly contrasted with the rest of his physical appearance. "Do you understand, little rat," the wildcat rasped, "That my cost for a room is only sixpence a day? I am a very rich cat, and I don't do slandering. Although, if you're not joking..." His green eyes flickered over the gold eagerly, "...I can easily do two months if you just give me that."

"Um..." Stromnor shook his head. "Actually, I'm only staying for one month, thank you very much. You're lucky that I trust you will give me change." He shoved the coin over to the tavern-keeper's side of his counter.

The wildcat gave a noncommittal grunt, but returned a Half-Sovereign and one shilling, as well as a key embroidered with the silhouette of a feral cat, on four legs, appearing to be yowling to the sky. "That's your key," he grunted. "Room 2, says so on the back of your key. If you lose that key, you will have to pay me an extra Florin." Stromnor nodded. The tavern-keeper pointed down a hallway to the right of his counter that the rat had assumed went to the cellar. "Rooms are that way."

Stromnor nodded again, went down the hallway, and found his door. It had the same cat logo on his key, but there a fancy "2" on it in a Tudor font. He clicked the key into the doorknob and pulled the room open. It was obviously a better room than the others. A bed with sheets and a fuzzy red blanket sat in one corner, a glowing lantern hung on a hook next to it. A rug made of the same fuzzy red material as the blanket covered a section of the wooden floor. Adjacent to the bed in the room was a small round table with a barstool next to it. The rat unwrapped his satchel from his shoulder, placed his key in it, and put it on the table. Then, he flopped down on the bed, sighing with pleasure at the softness of the blanket.

He rolled over and took off his tunic, sniffing and pulling a face of disgust at the smell. When is the last time I had a bath? I really need one. But that would have to wait for tomorrow. Throwing his tunic onto the floor next to him, Stromnor stretched full-length on the bed, and eventually fell into a peaceful sleep.
Stromnor Scartail Jade Swimmer and Slinker Farol
|D |D |D ;) -memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4401
FangsOfTheCongo
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya made her way down the street till she came to a more open area of the city. She spread her wings, and the furs around her made space. She leapt into the air and, with a few heavy flaps of her wings, she flew toward the royal palace.

She was happy that she had helped someone today, and resolved that she would come back to check on Stromnor in a few days. She'd given the rat the coins that had been meant to acquire a specific book. The book hadn't been in stock, and she knew Gavin would forgive the expense when she explained the circumstances.

She landed in the palace courtyard, gave a brief look around, and nodded to the guards before she headed inside. She made her way to her quarters, got undressed, and climbed into her her bed for the night.

((OOC: I don't know if you want to keep going with this thread, or if you'd prefer to start something new. I'm happy to keep playing either way.))
FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue

((I'm fine either way as well, so I'm just gonna continue on the tread we're already on.))

Stromnor felt the floor rock beneath him, a familiar scent wafting through his whiskers. The scent of the sea. He opened his eyes. The rat was no longer in a tavern room, but back on the wooden, beautifully-crafted deck of Ratveil. He sighed wistfully, taking in the wonderful smell of sea-water that he had missed for so long. It was true; Stromnor Scartail was a sea rat through and through.

He realized he was alone on the ship; not a single creature was in sight. Stromnor, confused, searched the entire ship for lifeforms, at the same time reliving good memories on Ratveil. But he found no furs, alive or dead. His concern increasing, the rat came back up onto the deck. What greeted him there was a sight of horror.

It was his old captain, Scrawldon the Relentless, but he was no longer recognizable. He looked...rotted. His fur and flesh was withered away in some places, the worst parts sizzled at by the salt of the ocean. His left eyepatch was no longer there, reavealing a hollow bleeding eye socket. He looked absolutely groutesque.

"Stromnor!" Scrawldon rasped, his voice sounding strangled. Stromnor was absolutely terrified to see that the rat's filthy chest stream blood every time he spoke. "You have over done your time in Felia! I was wrong to challenge you to first blood!" His ugly snout twisted into a snarl of rage. "I should have killed you!" The zombified rat captain's blood began staining the floorboards of the deck. Stromnor hadn't realized that he was edgeing away until he abruptly hit the steering wheel. He felt his heart beginning to race in panic.

Scrawldon started crawling toward him on all fours like a wild animal, clenching a cutlass wet with his own blood in his yellow fangs. He smiled creepily. "Well, Stromnor, you have evaded death for far too long! This will be the day I send you to the Dark Sea!" he cackled. The rat captain began backing his crewmate up until Stromnor bumped something. To the ex-pirate's horror, he was on the very edge of Ratveil.

Cackling with glee, Scrawldon lunged on top of Stromnor, knocking them both off the ship. Clouds of the rat captain's blood billowed into the waters, staining them red and making it very hard for Stromnor to see. Scrawldon began pushing his adversary down, shoving him roughly in the chest with his feet. Stromnor felt the air being forced out of his lungs. His vision grew hazy, then all he saw was red....

Stromnor opened his eyes. He was staring into fuzzy red material. He had somehow managed to half-strangle himself in the blankets. He untangled himself and sat up in the bed, wondering how long he had been asleep. His fevered dream of his withered captain was entirely forgotten.
FangsOfTheCongo
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya was up early the next morning and went through her usual morning routines. She dressed, ate breakfast, and made her way to Gavin's quarters. She told Gavin about what had happened the day before. Gavin nodded in understanding as she explained before asking her to head to the foundries and check on an ongoing project.

She made her way out into the palace courtyard before she spread her wings, and took flight. She flew over the city, enjoying the morning sun on her wings as she headed for the edge of the city that housed the foundries. As she flew, she thought about Stromnor, and wondered how he was doing after a good meal and a night in a proper bed. She decided that once she was done at the foundries, she would stop by and check on the rat.
FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue

Not bothering to make his bed, Stromnor flung his tunic back on, fastening the cheap black leather belt about his waist. He decided to check his satchel, and to his delight, no coins had been stolen. He slung the satchel around his shoulder and left the tavern to buy some breakfast, nodding to the wildcat tavern-keeper in greeting as he went.

The rat felt a lot happier now that a lot more food items were affordable for him. Taking out his Half-Sovereign, he bought a nice, warm loaf of bread and two slices of that cake he had scented yesterday, with a crown and a half in shillings. Stromnor absolutely loved cake. He headed back to the tavern and ate at the counter, savoring the sugary flavor of the cake while he pondered his job dilemma.

The Navy was something Stromnor had been considering the entire morning. The problem was that he didn't think he would have the efficiency and manners to become one of them, not to mention his records of piracy. The rat took another bite of his bread and told himself not to worry so much.
Last edited by FangsOfTheCongo on Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangsOfTheCongo
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya enjoyed the morning flight across the city, eventually she arrived about the foundries. She circled a couple times before landing in front of one of them. She made her way into the administrative portion of the facility. As she made her way through the building, none of the workers seemed surprised to see her, nor did they attempt to stop her. She made her way to one work area in particular.

She stepped up behind an orange tabby manx. She put her muzzle close to his ear before calling his name. "Mort" She called. Mort nearly dove out of his seat. "Damnit you....you..." He sputtered as he turned to face Freya. "Why do you always insist on doing that to me?"
"I would think after this long you'd be expecting me." Freya replied with a grin.
Mort gave a long suffering sigh. "I suppose you're here for the progress report then." He surmised before grabbing a nearby parchment. "The first shipment is proceeding according to schedule. We've cast a new prototype with a different composition that we hope will be able to handle the pressure. We should be able to start testing next week."
Freya acknowledged the report with a nod as she reached out to take the parchment from Mort. "That's good news. I'm sure his majesty will be happy to hear of the progress." She replied as she slid the parchment in her satchel.
"Next time, please be so kind as to announce yourself on the way in." Mort grumbled as she turned toward the door.
"No promises." Freya called as she stepped out, and headed back onto the streets.

Well, I have the rest of the morning to kill. Maybe I'll go check on Stromnor. She thought to herself as she to to the air.
FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue

After finishing his hearty meal, Stromnor wrapped the remainder of his cake in a napkin and put it into his satchel. He pulled out the fish from the previous night, as he had entirely forgotten about it. The rat promptly stuffed the mouthful into his muzzle. As he chewed, he self-consciously told himself that he was lacking manners, and wiped his mouth with the napkin the fish had been put in.

He looked down at himself in his dirty, stained tunic. He glanced up at the tavern-keeper and asked him where he may wash his clothes and bathe. The old cat smiled knowingly, a faint, audible purr of amusement reaching Stromnor's ears. He pointed a claw down the hallway where the tavern rooms were, to a white door at the very end of the hall. "There's a bathing room of sorts. It has a basin of water that gets cleaned a few times a week, but since not very many are staying here right now, the water's pretty clear. There are some cleansing herbs in bottles on a shelf next to the basin that you can use. Across the room's where the latrine is though, so you might want to pinch your nose."

The rat entered the bathing room. The latrine did stink, but he didn't smell it as much near the basin, where the scents of many cleansing herbs dominated his senses. Gratefully, he took off his tunic, hung it up on a hook, and dunked himself in the basin. The water was cool and clear, and Stromnor relaxed entirely. He picked up a bottle of "Lavender fur-softener" and opened it, allowing the strong scent of lavender to wash over his senses as well as his fur. He hadn't realized how much filth had been on his pelt until now, and was relieved to clean his dirty brownish-grey colored fur back to its natural warmer grey color. The fur-softener was true to its word, and Stromnor's pelt was now as smooth as silk. After using a separate herb to clean his fur-less tail, feet, and paws, the rat got out of the basin and dried himself off with a tattered towel.
FangsOfTheCongo
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

It wasn't long before Freya arrived above the inn she'd left Stromnor at the day before. She took a quick look around the area below, in case he'd gone out, before she landed nearby. She folded her wings and took another quick look around before she headed into the inn.

Inside, she decided to order herself a drink before she headed to one of the tables to take a seat and relax. She didn't see the rat anywhere in the common room and decided to give it a bit of time before she found someone to ask about him. She leaned back in her chair, using her tail to keep herself from toppling backward, and took a swig from her drink. She was in no rush to be anywhere at the moment, and enjoyed being away from the palace for a time.

((OOC: Sorry about the wait, and relatively short post. It's been a bit of a hectic week))
FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue

((It's all good, I know what hectic weeks feel like. :P ))

Stromnor took a look at himself in the mirror. His jaw almost dropped when he saw how much cleaner he looked. His muzzle curved into a proud smile. Taking his time, he began to gather his clothes to put on. Then he heard someone come into the tavern. The rat peeked warily around the corner of the bathing room to see who was there.

Freya! Stromnor smiled, almost walking out to greet his new friend, and in fact putting his top half through the doorway when he looked down at himself and realized he wasn't wearing his clothes yet. The rat felt his face grow hot and red as he ducked around the corner and pulled on his tunic and fasten his belt. That was a close call... he thought.

When he was certain he was dressed and ready, Stromnor entered the main tavern room and gave a friendly smile to the dragoness. He ignored the slightly amused look of the wildcat; the tavern-keeper made it obvious he had seen the rat's almost mess-up. "Why, hello there, Freya. I didn't expect you to drop in, pardon the expression, but it's nice to see ya! I've been getting along well here, thanks to you!" He grinned, hoping he looked much better than yesterday.
FangsOfTheCongo
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya noticed Stromnor's approach and, using her tail, tipped her chair to sit flat on the floor again. She smiled when he arrived at her table. "Hello." She replied. "I had some free time, and figured I'd see how you were doing." She paused a moment to look him over. "It does look like you're doing much better than yesterday. It's good to see you're doing well." She confirmed with a grin. "You look like a new rat." she continued cheerfully.

She took a swig from her drink before setting it down on the table and leaning toward Stromnor. "So, have you made any plans for today?" She asked with some curiosity, wondering if he'd given any more thought to what he was going to do to keep himself off the streets.
FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue

Stromnor beamed with pride when she noticed that he had cleaned himself up. Being a rat and an ex-pirate, he hadn't taken a bath very often to begin with. Now, he felt much more confident in himself now that his fur could show its true colors. He made a mental note that he should wash up more often.

When Freya asked if he had any plans for the day, he smiled. "Well, as a matter of fact, I do. I have considered joining the Navy. I would love to get back out to sea, much more, to avoid my captain. And, if I do meet him..." A spark of vengeance glinted in the rat's amber eyes. "...I'd like to have another duel against him at some point."

After a moment, he abruptly lost his composure. "But, well..." Stromnor looked down and self-consciously twirled his tail in his claws. "I don't I'll be able to join the Navy. For one thing, I have records as a pirate I'm worried about. I also have a..." He cleared his throat nervously, blushing slightly with embarrassment. "...a significant lack of manners. I don't think my history would be able to get me in." Stromnor looked up at Freya, trying not to look needy. She'd already done much more than she had needed to do, including getting his life back on track. He swallowed anxiously, hoping he wasn't taking too much from her.
FangsOfTheCongo
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya tilted her head and raised an eyebrow when Stromnor mentioned that he had a record as a pirate. "Records as in caught and tried, bounties, or just seen on a pirate ship?" She asked with a little skepticism. She was thinking to herself just what she could do to help him get into the navy. It would really depend on the severity of the records he had. If he'd just been witnessed on a pirate ship, that wasn't a big deal. Having been caught would take a little more effort to work around, but she thought she may be able to help.

"Depending on what kind of records, I may be able to help you get in." She offered.
FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue

Stromnor breathed a sigh of relief as he thought about it for a moment. "I think I only have records of being on a pirate ship, although I'm not sure how many people saw me duel my captain. Even so, if they did, they would know I'm no longer a pirate. I do have a brand, though." The rat lifted the right sleeve of his tunic to reveal a tattoo branded on him just above his elbow. The tattoo was a simple one, one of a cutlass, with tiny elaborate letters spelling "Ratveil" underneath it. "I mean, I don't think it'll cause too much trouble. Everyone that knows what Ratveil is knows she sunk." He dropped his voice a bit. "Curse Bloodrift," he muttered under his breath.
FangsOfTheCongo
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya's expression brightened as Stromnor explained that his record was only affiliation as far as he knew. "Well, that's not too bad. A few words in the right ears can get around that. The brand isn't terrible, but I would suggest getting a new tattoo over it, or keeping it covered." She paused for a moment. "More to avoid uncomfortable questions than anything." She clarified.

She took another drink from her tankard before she spoke again. "If you're sure this is what you want to do, I can talk to some furs and get you into training at the very least. You'd be on your own from that point though." She told him in serious tones. She wanted him to be sure of this choice before she worked on getting him in. She grinned. "There are definitely worse things you could decide to do than joining the Edwinish navy." She encouraged a bit.