Stalking the Streets of Old Nottingham Town

The most powerful of the nations of Feila, ruled by the Feline. The current system of government is a Feudalist Monarchy, with counties presided over by nobles, whom answer to the monarch. The military, being the Edwinish Army and Edwinish Royal Navy, whilst second largest in numbers, is the most effective fighting force in Feila. It is geographically connected to its larger neighbour, Gawain. Similar to Earth's medieval England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.
Ramen
Cub
Cub

Stalking the Streets of Old Nottingham Town

Post by Ramen »

Sitting alone in an old, elaborately decorated church was an odd, gaunt cat, fidgeting uncomfortably as he tried to figure out what to do with himself. Far from his hometown of Axminster, Jacob was staying in Old Nottingham Town on official church business to meet with some of the other clergymen, but that wouldn't happen for many hours. Until then, Jacob just had to wait, feeling suffocated by the oppressive atmosphere of the church and the gaudy and heavy robes he had to wear.
He then got up, walking over to the prayer candles and stealing one of their flames to light his pipe. "Forgive me, whatever gods might be watching." he said in an almost apathetic tone. He had decided that he would then slip out of his priest's robes for time being, putting on his more comfortable civilian attire and sneaking out of the church to catch some fresh air. He gazed at the bustling streets of Old Nottingham Town, taking a puff of his pipe while musing about how loud and annoying all the commoners were.
It had been far too long since Jacob had done something criminal, and the urge was calling to him. It would be nice to steal some sort of small trinket to bring home in memory of this trip. He paced alongside the various shops, eyeing their goods and their people to see just what and who stuck out to him. It probably wouldn't be until night when he actually did anything, only unless something really caught his eye, but he thought he might want to acquaint himself with such an unfamiliar place. And perhaps it might be advantageous to meet some of the locals and see what he could gain from them.
Sponsor

HawkerTheGreat
Thief
Thief

Re: Stalking the Streets of Old Nottingham Town

Post by HawkerTheGreat »

(Wanted to join sooner, but alas family struck.)

The light of the evening illuminated the town brightly, the sun only starting to set as the day went on - but the locals never seemed to decrease. The market always seemed bustling with interesting creatures and howling merchants trying to bargain their goods off to the closest passer-by. It wasn't the most packed town Umbra had ever come across, but it was larger and offered less comfort than the small civilizations that inhabited the lands back home.

It felt generally uncomfortable to be the largest figure in the crowd, his unique shape and draconian look sticking out to nearly every traveler. Despite him wearing a firm jacket of field plate with plenty of cloth adorning it - as well as a hooded cloak that covered his head, even drooping down to his muzzle, - the draconian stuck out regardless. Those who passed by commonly sped up and moved past, but the ones who stared usually offered a strange or confused look. Perhaps it was rare to see a mercenary so well clad in field plate or one that looked fairly wealthy... One that would travel such long distances for employment.

It wasn't for work however... It was either to find 'something', or perhaps... Curiosity. Either way, the tall figure didn't seem to be a local, with his odd apparel he wore a strange amulet around his neck, - Books, vials, pouches along what shown of his slightly covered belt. In accordance with his gear, everything seemed to clank softly against the steel as he padded along with uncovered paws.

(I've also got a ref sheet attached to my signature, if you'd like to see it. Unfortunately it doesn't include any apparel apart from the amulet - Not to mention I might stray slightly from it.)
Tidings From Valrei
https://sta.sh/01ppu3vv2ksh
FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue
Species: Otter

Post by FangsOfTheCongo »

Stromnor Scartail walked down the streets of Old Nottingham Town, his satchel clinking silently with the meager amount of coins he had scavenged. It wasn't really stealing; the fox that had dropped them had gone into a brawl with an angry otter, and as far as the rat knew, they were still fighting. He had managed to collect 10 small Farthings - not very much but maybe enough to buy some food.

Food... Stromnor's mouth watered uncontrollably from the delicious scents wafting around his grey-furred body through the market. Being unemployed, he didn't have any income of money whatsoever, and being a rat meant he couldn't be trusted by virtually anyone. Stromnor sighed, inhaling the tasty scents through his narrow snout.

The smell of cake, his favorite food, reached his nostrils, and he felt his stomach grumble audibly. Pressing his paws against his midsection to stifle the noise, he felt the cheap faded-blue fabric of his tunic. His clothing had gotten looser; Stromnor's predicament was more serious than he had thought.

The rat could already see that the cake he had smelled was worth a couple shillings - not much, but still way too expensive for the traveler. But, seeing as any food was better than no food, Stromnor headed for a stand of bread. He felt his bare feet speed-walking, seemingly propelling him towards the warm loaves.

Suddenly, he tripped on a draconian's tail and fell flat on his face. He lay winded for a moment; then his paw went to his satchel. Luckily, it hadn't opened, so nobody was going to rob him while he was already at this low point. Stromnor staggered up, annoyed and concerned at the way his coarse-furred legs wobbled weakly as he went to stand. He looked up, and abruptly found himself staring at the face of the draconian.

The draconian stranger was terrifying tall for a rat like Stromnor; even though he was big for a rat. He stepped back slightly, but the stranger kept watching him. Stromnor had never seen a draconian before; his expression must have looked interesting, especially when he felt his jaw open dumbly in surprise. To break the staring contest, he blinked his amber eyes several times and looked away.

"Uh, uh, sorry for stepping on your tail....sir?" My gosh, I must sound stupid, Stromnor thought. He busied himself with looked at the draconian's body rather than its gaze. He found himself looking at the amulet it wore around its neck. This guy must be wealthy. Maybe he has some money he could give me... The rat looked back at the draconian, wondering what the tall fur was going to do to him.
Last edited by FangsOfTheCongo on Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stromnor Scartail Jade Swimmer and Slinker Farol
|D |D |D ;) -memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4401
FangsOfTheCongo
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

((OOC: The original players in this thread haven't been active in years. I do have a character that could slide in here....well in species and height at least, if you don't mind.))

Freya gave a slight yelp, mostly in surprise, as someone stepped on her tail. She instinctively spread her wings, and yanked her tail out from underfoot, causing the individual to trip and fall behind her.

The dragoness spun around in time to see the individual that had stepped on her tail weakly getting to their feet. The look of annoyance she initially wore melted away to become one of concern. She met the rat's gaze, her head cocked to one side a bit as she looked over the rat. The rat looked away, and she took a short step closer to him.

"Apology accepted." She replied after a short moment. She noticed his gaze shifting to the collar she wore. It was nothing new to her to catch someone staring at the collar she wore, and more, the crest engraved into it. "You seem troubled..." She ventured. "Do you need help with something?" She asked.
FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue

Whoops, it's a girl, Stromnor thought foolishly. He stared up at the dragoness, his mouth moving with no words coming out. He fumbled around, blushing with embarrassment. Then he heard the coins in his satchel, and he remembered the money he had wanted to ask about. "Hey, um, miss, I hope I didn't bother you but I was wondering--"

The rat's stomach rumbled loudly without warning, and Stromnor blushed three shades deeper of red. "I'm sorry, er, miss, I'm just a bit hungry..." Stupid, stupid Stromnor! He thought critically to himself. He looked back up at the dragoness, and couldn't help but notice that she looked kind of attractive. But enough of that, he was acting so foolish. He shook his head and looked up at her with wide amber eyes. "I just need some money for food. Please."
FangsOfTheCongo
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya couldn't help but grin a little as the rat went back to staring. She nodded as he opened his mouth to speak, but for several moments, nothing came out. She waited patiently for him to collect himself, and smile when he spoke. "Well, I'll admit I was a little surprised to have my tail stepped on, but I wouldn't say you've bothered me." She paused for a moment to wait and see what he had been wondering.

She chuckled when his stomach rumbled, and he mentioned being a bit hungry. She looked at him for a moment, something clicked in her head, and she looked at him with a little more scrutiny. She nodded as he looked back up at her and mentioned needing money for food. Her expression turned thoughtful for a moment before she replied. "You know, I could go for a meal myself." She replied. "Why don't you join me? I'll cover the cost." She replied before taking a look at their surroundings to see if there was a tavern nearby.
FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue

Stromnor could hardly believe his luck. Not only was this draconian going to pay for him, but she was also going to join him for supper at a tavern! He felt his mouth water slightly at the memories of the delicious food they served. It had been a really long time since he'd been to a tavern, but he remembered those good times indeed. Pleasant conversation, playful banter, and another round on his fellow rats. But ever since he had hit rock bottom, he hadn't gone into one.

"I'd like that," Stromnor said, smiling at the dragoness. "It's been a while." The rat was right - he hadn't hung out with somebody in years, mostly because furries disregarded him as a poor, beggar commoner and didn't really see a point in spending time with him. Stromnor Scartail had become very lonely indeed, and was looking forward to making a friend.

"My name's Stromnor, by the way. Stromnor Scartail." He grinned, hoping to himself that his sad life was finally turning for the better, even if it only happened for one day.
FangsOfTheCongo
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya grinned as Stromnor agreed to join her for a meal. "All right then, let's go." She replied cheerfully as she caught sight of a tavern not too far off. "Been a while huh, that's a shame." She commented as she led the way down the street to the tavern.

The tavern was was a middling establishment, not lavish, but not a dive either. The air inside was filled with the murmur of patrons in conversations at the various tables throughout the room. Freya continued on to an empty table, and waited for Stromnor to sit before she waved over a server. "It's nice to meet you Stromnor, My name is Freya" She replied as they waited for the server.

She leaned on the table a bit as she spoke to Stromnor. "So, are you from the area?" She asked with some curiosity. The server showed up, and Freya ordered a large meal and a drink for herself then waited for Stromnor to order something for himself.
FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue

Stromnor looked at the options warily. He was very hungry but didn't want to drain this draconian entirely of money. He decided to order some salmon garnished with lemon juice - A hearty meal and a common delicacy to the felines of Edwin, but not too expensive.

He turned when Freya asked where he came from. At first, he hesitated to answer - his past wasn't exactly a good one - but he told her anyway. "Well, er... I'm not from here. I was a pirate. It kind of ran in my family. Both of my parents were pirates, and I was born and raised on a ship known as Ratveil. We only robbed other pirates, mainly because the captain didn't want any tussles with Edwin's navy. But that was years ago. Ratveil got sank by the legendary Gawainian pirate ship known as Bloodrift. Nasty weasels took down the ship of my youth... and my father with it. I never found out if my mother made it." Stromnor sat there silently for a moment, then continued.

"My captain and I managed to form a raft from the broken ship pieces and sailed to the shore of Edwin. He wanted to build a new pirate crew and set off again, with me as the first mate. I refused, and we had a duel of first blood. I lost, getting this." The rat tapped a long scar that slashed diagonally across his muzzle from right to left. "We went our separate ways, he going south to another territory, I going north. And here I am."

The food arrived for both Stromnor and Freya, and he eagerly pulled the fish toward himself. He looked up. "What about you, Freya?"
FangsOfTheCongo
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya gave a slight tilt of her head as Stromnor ordered. It seemed like she wanted to make a comment, but refrained. She noticed his hesitation when she asked where he was from and gave a warm smile of encouragement.

As he told his story, she understood his initial hesitation to tell it. "A pirate huh...did you see many ports outside Edwin?" She asked with continued curiosity. "I'm sorry you lost your parents, and your falling out with your old captain." She commented with sympathy. "Have you thought about going back to sea not as a pirate?" She asked.

She paused for a moment when he asked about her. "well..." She started. "I wasn't born in Edwin either. I was born in Piriqui. I lived in a secluded mountain valley with my parents till I was about ten. One day they went out like they always did, but they never came back. I got chased from our valley, and ended up on the coast." She paused for a few moments to take several bites from the pile of food in front of her. After chewing and swallowing, she began speaking again. "By the time I made it to the coast I was weak from hunger and dehydration. I fell asleep at one point, and next thing I knew, I was chained in the belly of a ship bound for Edwin. I ended up in Norfolk, but not long ago, I ended up here in Old Nottingham Town." She took several more bites from her meal. She was quiet for a few moments as she debated internally weather she wanted to share more. She decided against it for the time being, waiting to see what Stromnor would have to say.
FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue

When Freya asked about the ports, Stromnor smiled. "Oh, I've seen a lot of ports. Old Ratveil traveled almost to all the watery parts of Felia before she got sunk. We docked at a lot of ports of different kingdoms for supplies. A good culinary experience, and the taverns were great too."

Stromnor sighed and shook his head when Freya asked if he'd thought about going to sea, pirate or not. "I'm afraid I can't, even if I wanted to. After our fallout, my captain told me if he ever saw me on seas again, he would be less merciful. A few weeks after that, I got word that he succeeded in creating a new pirate crew in the kingdom of Maze. I figured it would probably be safest to stay as inland as possible." The rat gave a wistful sigh. "Although I do miss the sea."

While Freya was telling her own story, Stromnor listened with rapt attention, pausing to eat at the same times the dragoness did and doing so with an appetite. It was only when she seemed done did the rat comment. "I'm really sorry about that. Must have been tragic for a ten-year-old. A real shame your parents didn't come back." He paused and gave her a comforting smile. "But, hey, they might still be alive somewhere, right? That's what I always tell myself about my mother."

He paused again, thinking for a moment. "You said you were chained? It might've been slavers. I'd had a few bad run-ins with 'em, during and after being a pirate. If they were slavers, it's a good thing you left them while you still could. I've seen what happens to slaves. It isn't pretty."

The rat took another bite of his fish, chewing slowly with a faraway look in his amber eyes.
FangsOfTheCongo
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya chuckled when Stromnor mentioned that he couldn't go out to sea again for fear of his former captain. "Oh, I dunno. It's a big sea, and you may never even run into him again. Depending how you made your way back out to sea, it could be he'd be the one who would have to worry." She commented with a bit of a grin.

She shook her head when Stromnor offered his sympathy over her missing parents. "Thank you for the sentiments. I know it's possible that they may still be alive, but it was long enough ago that I've made my peace with the fact that I'll likely never see them again." She gave a sympathetic smile when he mentioned his hopes for his own mother. "She could very well be, and I would never suggest that you give up hope."

Freya's expression changed when Stromnor mentioned slavers. She looked slightly uncomfortable for a moment before she spoke again, though she spoke more quietly than before. "There's no might've been about it, they were slavers." She told him. "I was sold to the duke of Norfolk, but I got lucky...at least as far as slaves can get lucky. they treated me closer to family than a slave." She shifted her head so her collar was once again clearly visible around her neck. "I technically belong to the current king of Edwin." She smiled "It's not all bad though. I'm well fed, have a warm place to sleep, and maintain some personal freedom." With that comment she paused again to eat several more mouthfuls of food from her plate.

Eventually she spoke again. "Do you have a place to stay?" She asked carefully.
FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue

Freya's comment about the sea calmed Stromnor a little bit. "You're right. It is a big sea. Maybe I will go back to sea someday, if I can. I'm not going to Maze, though." He chuckled half-heartedly. "But if you ever hear anything about Captain Scrawldon the Relentless somewhere near Edwin, I'll be right back over here."

After the rat mentioned slavers, Freya shifted uncomfortably for a bit. Stromnor clamped his mouth shut. Did I say something stupid? Then the dragoness explained that she was indeed captured by slavers. Stromnor opened his mouth slightly to say something, but instead halted his words and listened. "You are pretty lucky," he noted when she was done talking. "Under the king of Edwin's command, it can't be bad at all."

Stromnor had gone into a stupor of eating as much of the fish as he could, and startled when Freya asked if he had a place to stay at. The rat wrapped up the remainder of his fish in a napkin and tucked it into his satchel for later. "Er, well... no." His ears drooped noticeably. "I'm kind of a beggar, really. I usually sleep in an alley or under a bridge." Stromnor sighed. "I miss my sea days."
FangsOfTheCongo
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya gave an encouraging smile as Stromnor agreed that going back to sea could be a possibility for him in the future. "Or we have the navy take care of him." She offered when he mentioned going back inland if his old captain was sighted near Edwin.

She nodded when he mentioned that she ad been fairly lucky. "Yeah, I will be the first to admin that my situation could have been much worse." She replied

She watched as he wrapped up the remainder of his fish and put it in his satchel. She looked at the food still on her own plate, then back at him. "You could get more if you want." She offered with some concern. When Stromnor mentioned that he was basically a beggar, and missed his sea days, she nodded with no small amount of sympathy. "I don't presume to tell you how to live your life..." She started carefully. "But, have you considered joining the Navy?" She asked with some curiosity. "It would get you back out on the sea, and make any encounters with your former captain much more likely to end in your favor." She finished with a slight chuckle. "It's just a thought." She commented as she reached into her tunic and produced a pair of gold coins. Guineas, the two coins were enough to pay for a room, and meals for the better part of a month. "Either way, hopefully these will help till you can find a solution." She told him as she carefully set the coins on the table and slid them toward him.

she paused in thought for a moment. "If the Navy doesn't doesn't suit your fancy, perhaps a merchant ship." She tilted her head, still thinking. "Or maybe I could help you find something local to do for work." She mused. "What kind of skills do you have?" She asked
FangsOfTheCongo
Rogue
Rogue

When Freya mentioned joining the Navy, Stromnor mulled the opportunity over in his head. It was a possibility for him. He was an able fighter trained in gunnery, and under the reign of his relentless captain, he had learned very well to take orders. "Just a thought," she commented. The grey rat nodded. I'll definitely think about it.

Stromnor's mouth fell open when he saw the two Guineas get pushed toward him. He had, of course during his pirate days, seen that much money before, but it had never been accessible by him. Slowly and automatically, he picked up the shiny gold coins and put them into his satchel, then looked up at Freya with his eyes shining with gratitude. "Thank you. I won't forget this."

When the dragoness asked what skills he had, he smiled hopefully. "I'm good with pistols, longswords, and cutlasses, but I haven't learned much else. I do..." He paused and withdrew his dagger from his satchel, pointing the silver blade away from Freya so she wouldn't feel threatened, "...know how to use a dagger too. I got this off of a second-hand dealer rather desperate for money. I only use it in self-defense, though." He put the dagger back. "And even though it's been a while, I remember the basics of piracy. I know gunnery, some sailing, and I've helped raid ships before too." He nodded, looking sheepish. "Yep, I think that's it."

The odd feeling from before, the feeling that the dragoness looked attractive, came over him again. Stromnor shook his head and sighed softly. He nodded again at Freya as if he hadn't earlier. "Well, uh... So yeah? I'll see you around." He looked around for the name of the tavern. There, behind the scraggly, feline tavern-keeper. "The Tomcat's Alley". He motioned toward the sign. "You'll know where to find me, I guess."
FangsOfTheCongo