The Exile's Return (Edwin, CLOSED)

Some one-thousand years into the future, Feila is now ruled by pop-crazy teenagers, computer nerds, and gun-wielding gangsters. This period is most like our present day Earth, specifically the 2000's, with the Internet, MP3 players, and towering skyscrapers. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
Artashir
Outlaw
Outlaw
Species: Barbary Lion

The Exile's Return (Edwin, CLOSED)

Post by Artashir »

Pain...

That was the first thing Artashir felt when he started to regain feeling. Surges of pain in his legs, arms, and the back of his head. Trying to move his body, it felt so numb. Painfully focusing, he felt his face muscles move and his ringing ears caught the sound of a croaking groan. It took him a second to realize it was him.

What happened?

Just as his brain started to function again, his whole body ached badly. Trying to breath, his nostrils whiffed up something that made him sneeze immediately. Midas! He screamed in his head as his ribs felt like they crackled and squeezed. With some effort, he tried to open his good eye but it felt like it was impossible. He must be laying on his side.

With a careful breath, he slowly opened his left eyelid, and immediately the sun assaulted the violet eye, making his white pupil to shrink to a pin. Groaning, he closed his eye almost as quickly as the lion opened it. It was too bright to tell where he was. Whimpering at the feelings of numbing pain, subconsciously knowing he was lost, and he didn't even know why at the moment.

Rebelling against his pain, Artashir breathed to get his blood flowing, and started to move his body. It moved abit. Good, now to start easy.

Moving his paw digits, he felt the distant appendages moving almost as if they weren't his own. Then he moved his arms, his left arm was able to move, the other was under him. Artashir smirked abit at his own success and start to move his upper body until he was able to roll on his belly. Using his wobbly arm, he lifted himself. He felt like he was lifting a ton on his back. Finally up, he tested his digigraded legs.

Flexing his toes, he pulled his lower legs forward, followed by his thighs. Suddenly, gravity pushed against him, making him curl up. Whimpering, he finally made the attempt to open his eyes again. Greeted by the merciful sight of his own shade and the hanging fur of his black mane, he found the ground to be somewhat barren. Finally feeling the hot sun on his back, he tried to get up again.

His muscles fought not to, but Artashir wasn't going to give up, and after a few minutes, he was up and wobbly. Relearning how to walk, he looked around sadly to find himself in the middle of nowhere. Dried grassland on all side. Looking at himself, his brown fur was dirty and specks of dried blood, wearing nothing but torn up pants. He was really dismaying on what his mane looked like.

Was he still in Edwin?

Taking his steps carefully, the scruffed up lion tripped once or twice, holding his hurt ribs with one hand but he followed his animal instinct to...anywhere but here.
Sponsor

Larcen
Duke
Duke
Species: Coyote

Re: The Exile's Return (Edwin, CLOSED)

Post by Larcen »

Heading home from work, a sleepy, chunky hyena coasted down the road in her Subaru Brat. Not a car, not a truck, but something in between, the 4x4 puttered along between two podunk little towns--one she worked in, one she lived in. How she hated those twelve-hour shifts at the foundry, but at least with the 30-day lay-off she was headed for, she could kick back and do nothing while the unemployment checks kept her fed.

To keep herself from passing out behind the wheel, Roberta Lee sang along with what had become her theme song.

♪...She's five-foot-six, two-fifteen,
A bleach-blonde mama with a streak o' mean,
She know how to knuckle and she know how to scuffle and fiiight...♫

If you've ever heard a hyena sing, know that the author pities you. Yes, she was that bad. But oddly enough, the song fit her perfectly--mostly after design. Roberta Elaine Lee was exactly what the lyrics said, partly by coincidence, partly by a fellow roller-derby teammate showing her the Jim Croce song. The dimensions were correct, she had bleached her short mane blonde, and "Spike" as her friends called her (because honestly, who named their child Roberta? That was just cruel) was "built like a 'fridgeratah with a head". Working at a truck parts factory and a sense of having to show up the men by pumping iron at the gym, combined by a hyena's legendary appetite made her one butch specimen, even down to the plaid shirt and work boots she currently sported.

As she sang along to the CD WalkFur jacked into her ride's cassette deck, Spike was hardly expecting what she saw next. It looked like a lion--a beat up one, wandering along off the side of the road, through the drought-stricken fields. Spike passed the spectacle entirely before realizing what she saw.

"OH GEEZ!" She slammed on the brakes. Hey, a lion wandering along off the side of the road through the drought-stricken fields wasn't normal, was it? In her lack of mental clarity due to the sheer shock of it all, Spike almost drove right across the field back to him. But she did have some measure of decency, so she put on her flashers and pulled over.

Jumping out, the hyena waved her paws. "Hey! Yo! You a'right, pal?" she called out, rollicking over the field toward him. She stopped within a few yards of the clearly disoriented lion. "Hey buddy, you ok?"

You say 'fundamentalist' like it's a bad thing. X3
Bigfox3
God
God
Species: Fennec Fox

Post by Bigfox3 »

Meanwhile, much closer to her work, a red Corvette was blazing trails and catching up to the scene unbeknownst to the driver. The driver's side window was rolled down and foreign pop music from Yamaha was blaring with pulsating effect. The fennec fox's large ears weren't sensitive to it, and the music seemed to be calming him. His cream-colored fur was perfectly groomed, and his hair was groomed perfectly even though the wind messed with it. His black button-down shirt looked snazzy with half the buttons open and his abundantly furry chest exposed for any girl that was able to look before he zoomed off to take a nice little gander.

Francois 'Fritz' O'Hare was irritated to no ends with his folks back at home. What was worse was that his girlfriend had sided with them. He couldn't think straight when he left, and he'd been driving ever since in the back roads outside the city limits. He'd picked a road that looked long and decided to drive down it until he was ready to come back. He'd passed through a town that looked only vaguely familiar as his speed took him through it without incident. Luckily he'd calmed down enough to spot a truck with its flashers on and skidded to a halt. He got out to see if anyone was around and spotted the most unusual sight.

Not too far from where he was, there was a rather dazed looking lion and a buff hyena with bleach-blonde hair calling out to him. That hair rang a bell to him as he went through his mind on the number of acquaintances he had and eventually she (surprise surprise he thought she was a he at first) finally came to mind. That was Spike, both of them mutual acquaintances through a bat friend of theirs. Miss Cila wasn't at the top of his favorites list, but she was a respectable friend with a good head on her shoulders for those few times he ever sought out counsel. Spike wasn't much different, albeit she was FAR more blunt. Still, sometimes he needed blunt.

He shook his head and stepped out from around his car, having parked just behind Spike and done the same with his flashers, he ran to catch up with Spike, "Hey Spike! It's Fritz, what's going on? Is this guy alright?"
Last edited by Bigfox3 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Dessert War never happened, but I'm deluded enough that I've convinced myself I already won. :3

My Character Library
Click here to see my Deviantart page!

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
'SPAMMA TANK' GAMMA Created by Shade
Advanced AI Tank

Big's quick link to the IRC chat box for those who can never find the thing, like me! 8D
Artashir
Outlaw
Outlaw

Post by Artashir »

Walking for a untold distance, the dazed Artashir was too far off to notice the road or the cars start stopped by him, trying to search through his memory on what happened...but he couldn't quite think. He couldn't remember on the events that brought him. He could see blurs running before his eyes, but then his concentration was interrupted by the echoes of voice.

Flicking his ears, Artashir turned to the noises, and looked with wild eyes at a buff hyena. Despite his confusion, his keen eyes knew it was a woman. Being a businessman called for a hawk's eye on differating his people. Looking at the details of her tomboyish appearance, he couldn't quite hear the calls at first until he blinked.

Moving, he heard his own bones pop, and he angled his head like a animal scoping out trouble, seeing a red corvette behind the strange car-truck hybrid of somekind...er, a Subaru Brat he thinks it is called. Midas, of all things, Cars weren't his expertise. Inside was a cream-colored fennec fox, with very well-groomed hair he might add, almost like a mane. He got out of his car to the hyena, asking her something that Art couldn't make out with his echoing hearing.

Returning his attention to the hyena, he straightened up, feeling his bones ache at the effort, Art moved his jaws, and felt it was also ached. He really wished he could remember what happened and secretly hoped a person was responsible for his injuries...he felt a deep need to put his claws into something.

"Er, excuse me," He started before coughing dryly and finished, "Where am I?" In his question, it is noticeable that his voice was dry and deep from his exposure to this nature's heat for hours on end, and his mixmatched eyes of violet and gold looked pleading for answers.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

Man, this guy's a wreck, thought Roberta when she came close to the lion. She hadn't even noticed his eye that much. Then a vaguely familiar voice spoke to her. Turning around, it took half a second for her to recognize him.

"Fritz? OH! Hey Firejanks." Being a hyena brought with it a sort of bully instinct, and Roberta was a typical hyena. She positively adored that little nickname, and only used it because she knew the fennec's ego could take it. And because of the reactions it got from him. "I dunno...just found him here." Oh wait, the lion was asking a question.

"You're out in the middle of nowhere, man," Roberta said, putting a paw on the lion's shoulder as an act of trustworthiness. Her face was worried, though. "But you look almost like, heatstroked or something, pal. Let's get you somewhere cool and get you patched up, then we can straighten the rest of you out, 'kay?"

Turning back to Fritz, Roberta took charge. "Firejanks, your car has AC, right? Mine's broken, but we need to get him cooled off. So you take him in your car and follow me to my place--I've got first aid there, and the hospital's way out in the city anyway, so my house is closer. Ok?"

Without waiting for an answer, Roberta put her other paw on the lion's other shoulder. "We're gonna take you to my home and get you cleaned up, all right? You'll be riding with pretty boy here." Sure, she did not know the lion's name, but in an emergency like this, minor details like names could wait. As a result of her hazardous line of work and her competition in sports, Roberta knew at least enough about first aid to be qualified for this particular case. She looked the lion in the eye to make sure he understood.
Last edited by Larcen on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

Bigfox3
God
God

Post by Bigfox3 »

Fritz grimaced at the old nickname she'd given him due to his apparent drive around women. Not that he could blame her. He took in the situation for what it was and said, "You got it, Spike, and the seating's cushy too, so he'll have a decent ride." He winked at the lion and tried to make light of the situation now that he was getting the attention he'd need, "Can't have a hunky lion dying on us now, can we?" He caught up quickly to the two of them, and with the sun beating down on them all, the sooner the lion got shade the better. He took his shirt off and put it over the lion's head for what little shade it offered him. "No comments from the peanut gallery unless you'd rather use your shirt, Spike." He'd normally revel in the attention, but the matter was actually a serious one. He slipped over onto the opposite side of the lion from Roberta and helped them to get back to his car.
Last edited by Bigfox3 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dessert War never happened, but I'm deluded enough that I've convinced myself I already won. :3

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank

Big's quick link to the IRC chat box for those who can never find the thing, like me! 8D
Artashir
Outlaw
Outlaw

Post by Artashir »

Art was on the verge of going unconscious before he felt a paw on his shoulder. Jerking back to life, he saw the hyena closer and saw her paw. Listening to her, he found out he was in the middle of nowhere, and by mere generosity, she was going to help him.

Dispite his better sense, he allowed himself to believe she was. Nodding to her, he looked to the fox who's name was Fritz, who was agreeing with the Hyena Spike about air condition. Meeting a wink, the lion smirked back very slightly.

Returning his attention to Spike, he nodded at her offer. Meeting her eye-to-eye, he gave out a weak ok.

Just then, something fell on his head, and he growled abit before realizing that Fritz have given him his own shirt to give the sunstruck lion some shade. Very grateful of their help, he followed their lead to Kirin's car before he was let in the passenger seat.

Murring as his body sank into the soft cushion and cooling shade, Art felt some of the pain leave him. Looking at them with heavy-lidded eyes, he gave a weak smile, "T-thank you."
Last edited by Artashir on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

As serious as the situation was, Roberta figured it was under control enough to take Fritz's little comment. Besides, a hyena could never pass up the opportunity to build on a joke. "Honey, ain't NOBODY wants to see this," she quipped, poking her pudgy middle.

"I'll lead, you crank up the AC and follow me home. Oh!" She remembered something. Running back to her truck, she fetched a bottle of Mountain Dew. Sure, there were traces of hyena saliva in it, and sure, they said something, something caffeine didn't help dehydration, but it was better than nothing, right? That was what Roberta figured anyway. "Here, drink this on the way," she said, giving it to the lion.

She would have told Fritz to try and keep up with her, but even she knew his 'Vette could blow the doors off her Brat. Spike jumped in and floored it. All four tires scrabbled against the pavement, snatching for traction as she launched away. Wishing she had a siren, Spike buried the needle at 85, keeping one eye on the mirror to make sure the guys were all right.
Last edited by Larcen on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

Bigfox3
God
God

Post by Bigfox3 »

Driving a car shirtless was a new sensation for him, contrary to what popular belief might say. He didn't think too much on it, but once he was inside, he opened the glove compartment to get out a spray bottle for the lion. "Feel free to spray yourself down with that, it's just water. It'll feel cool with the AC running," he said to the lion. The water bottle was kept there as a means to style his hair on short notice, and in this instance his narcissism seemed to have a practical use.

That thought brought him back to the argument he'd had with his folks and his girlfriend. They'd blamed him for being too self-centered for his own good. Admittedly he did do a lot of partying, and he did flirt quite a bit even though he was technically tied down with his girl, who in all honesty was a lot better than he deserved. Maybe the folks were right, but then if he wasn't so upset by it, he wouldn't have been here to help this poor lion out.

He looked over at the lion. His attire was nothing but a torn up pair of pants. Fritz chuckled to himself, since that was almost always standard rave attire for him. Albeit the two setting other than being bright, had nothing else in common. "Does it hurt to talk? If not, can you tell me what happened? Where you're from? Maybe I can help you piece together what happened," he was genuinely concerned for the lion, although a part of him would've loved to rub this in the face of his folks when he got back.
Last edited by Bigfox3 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank

Artashir
Outlaw
Outlaw

Post by Artashir »

Nearly sucking down the mountain dew on the drive, despite the slight Hyena taste to it, Artashir pants abit, feeling the liquid going through his throat as if it was going through cracks in a dried earth, he murrs at the feeling. Then he was presented with a spray bottle. Nodding to Fritz, he gleefully sprayed, shivering in bliss at the water hitting his face and chest.

For the first time in his life, he wished he could shave his mane to get the water on his neck. Then he shot water in his ears, murring as he flicked them about, the cool air made the pleasure more so. Wiping his face, he groaned at his body's aches. Just getting moistured allowed his nerves to fully realize the damage he was inflicted.

Hearing Fritz ask him if he could speak, what happened to him. Artashir tried to figure that out himself. Rumbling in his chest, he coughed abit, before starting to speak words. At first, they were rough and painful to come out, but with the mountain dew, it made it more easier.

"I...am Art." He said, giving out his nickname, can never be too careful right now. "I can't remember what happened. Only thing...I can remember was..." Putting a dusty paw on his face, he flattened his ears on his head in pain. It felt like his brain was fighting to keep from remembering. "Walking somewhere...in a office."

Leaning forward, putting his head gently on the dashboard, he moaned in pain and whimpered, momentarily forgetting where he was in the car with a possible new friend.
Last edited by Artashir on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

As the little 4x4 jounced along at top speed, 90 mph--hey, it was built to be nimble, not fast--Roberta kept her eye on the mirror. Good, he was talking, drinking, spritzing. Whew. Still, best to get home a.s.a.p. She flew through town, braking only at the stoplight, but then whipping a right turn to reach her house.

The home of Roberta Elaine Lee was fairly nondescript. A marvel of 1950's cheap prefabricated housing, the hyena's abode was a cozy little aluminum cube with a flat roof, a single-car garage, and a screen door on both entrances. Spike parked in said driveway, then jumped out. She then ran inside and flipped on all the air conditioners full blast, dug out a fan, and pulled the window blinds to create a veritable heat shelter for the lion.

Just for the sake of awing the other characters (or revolting them), Roberta's decor was nauseatingly trashy. It was as if retro had cleaned out its mold-infested cellar and dumped it within her residence. Imitation wood paneling, orange carpet, pink kitchen appliances, fuzzy toilet seat--think of everything white trash in this world, and you'd likely find it in her house. The bathroom was done in a disgustingly tropical motif, all flamingoes and palm trees. The living room couch was one of those wooden frame deals, with farmhouses and dead-looking produce printed in brown and orange on the upholstery. An afghan rug was draped over the back to make it perfect. Spike was beyond lower-class. She was no-class--the kind of fur a certain worthy fox comedian named Jeff joked about.

The hostess charged to the front door, holding the screen door ajar. "Bring him in," she beckoned. "I'll getcha some ice water."

Bigfox3
God
God

Post by Bigfox3 »

The fennec practically flew out of the car to help the lion out, helping him to lean heavily on him so they could get in as quickly as possible. They wouldn't be able to walk around shirtless forever, and made a note if he lived farther away to get him some decent fitting clothes so that he could get back on his feet fully.

He grimaced at the decor when they walked in, the place essentially being an amalgamation of every possible bit of retro that was BAD and that he particularly disliked, being raised in a very chic environment, or at least higher-classed. Art's weight was becoming a bit much for him, and so he eased him onto the couch. "Perhaps a cold wet rag will help too," he suggested as he sat down next to the lion to keep him company.

He continued the conversation from the car, "So your name is Art, and you can't remember anything outside of walking in an office?" The theorist in him sprang to life as he said, "That sounds like it could spell trouble if you're not careful. Thankfully we hightailed it out of there quickly and if anybody was trying to make sure you were dead, they did a lousy job of it. Hopefully they're stupid enough that they won't send someone back to check for your body."

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank

Artashir
Outlaw
Outlaw

Post by Artashir »

Art blacked out for a moment and when he came to, he found himself carried out of the car, the sun beaming into his eyes. Closing his eyes shut tight, the lion felt Fritz's smaller frame under his arm, so he kept his weak legs proper and he could the change of setting.

Felt like a house, his footpaws hit junk on the floor, and when he opened his eyes at last, it was...moderately fine. Junky yes, but he knew when to be grateful. He haven't lost enough memory to forget the past.

Feeling Fritz start to tire of his weight, Art slid off to the couch, and finally took the fox's shirt off his mane, "Thank you, Fritz." He said roughly. He was still distracted by his thoughts before Fritz spoke to him again. Listening intently, he nods with his voice fading out towards the end, "Indeed...and I hope I find out who did this soon."
Last edited by Artashir on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

As a hostess, Roberta was already on top of everything. She started a pitcher of ice water, but then realized better and poured a scoop of Gatorade mix into it before setting the pitcher and a glass before the patient. "Here, hon. Get some good fluids in ya."

As soon as the lion looked comfortable and in no real danger of collapse, Spike attended to his other needs. She buzzed into her bedroom, keeping one ear on the conversation. When she returned to the living room/dining room/kitchen, she tossed a change of clothes to the lion--another flannel shirt and set of jeans, both designed for males but worn by her. Roberta had even included a pair of boxer shorts in the ensemble, just in case. Yes, boxer shorts. Of course, everything was probably WAY too large for him, but thank goodness for the braided belt she threw along with it.

"Here; not that you aren't handsome, honey, but for the sake of decency, cover on up. There's a shower in the bathroom; feel free to use." For a bully, she was actually a very nice fur when you got to know her. Though all that said, she was not entirely sure what the conversation her guests were having was about. Spike merely kept her ears open and her eyes on the lion.

Bigfox3
God
God

Post by Bigfox3 »

A sigh escaped Fritz's lips as he said, "They'll do for now, but we'll have to make a stop by my place to give him up-to-date city threads. We've got a situation here." He filled Roberta in on the few details Art shared. "My guess is that we'll have a bit of trouble on our hands if his story pans out," he said.

Picking up his shirt, he flapped it a few times and realizing it was still covered in the lion's sweat, gave up and asked, "Mind if I have a look through your wardrobe? Looks like I'm needing a shirt too." He grimaced, "If only to keep myself decent when we stop by my place. What would you like to do, Art? I'd like to help if I can."
Last edited by Bigfox3 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank