Their Own Personal Bully (Closed)

Some one-thousand years into the future, Feila is now ruled by pop-crazy teenagers, computer nerds, and gun-wielding gangsters. This period is most like our present day Earth, specifically the 2000's, with the Internet, MP3 players, and towering skyscrapers. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
Larcen
Duke
Duke
Species: Coyote

Re: Their Own Personal Bully (Closed)

Post by Larcen »

Roberta's ears pricked. Plans were good. "All right. Sure your friends won't gag if I come over?" she said with a half smirk at her self-deprecating joke.

She was just about to open her mouth again and make another comment, but a white-feathered shadow appeared over the girls, and when he quacked, Roberta shut up. "Hello, ladies. What plans do we have for the project? Both of you have a very storied species, so you will have a lot of material available about which to write."

"Um, YEAH, um...wolves...stuff!" Roberta stammered, looking at Ivelese. "We were like, discussing what we were gonna do at lunch today and after school..." How fake could one hyena pretend to be? Not enough to fool the seasoned duck.

"Now ladies," he said, folding his wings behind himself. "Realize I did not give you this project to force you to make new friends. You two may never like each other or talk to one another again after this, and that is fine. However, I gave this assignment to hopefully teach you how to understand diversity, and prove to me that you can write a research paper on a subject you may not like." He raised his voice to address the class, but still stood close enough that to the hyena at least, he was talking straight to her and Ivelese. "This is an important lesson to learn for when you get into college. The ability to work with others outside your species or personality type, even though you may not like them or may even have prejudices against them or their species--and I hope you do not--is important for success. Of course, this project specifically is not about reporting on a 'prep' or a 'jock', it is about the experience of being a wolf or a hyena in today's modern society. And Miss Lee, while others such as your partner seem already to be well on their way, from what I have read in the report from your former school, you have potential as well. I hope you will put as much effort into this class as you do your extracurricular activities. Ivelese, while Roberta is not of your social status, I am sure I can trust you to reach beyond your comfort zone and at least try to make her feel accepted here, please," Duxon said with a smile. He waddled off to harass other students.

Roberta felt like she wanted to turn into a puddle of sludge and ooze away. But drawing on her reserves of bitterness, she solidified again. "Pff, listen to him talk. Yeah thanks, ducky. Like I'm going to college. He has no friggin' idea," she scoffed under her breath. This class better be over soon. Gym was next, and she needed it.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

You say 'fundamentalist' like it's a bad thing. X3
Sponsor

RavenFire487
God
God
Species: Canine

Post by RavenFire487 »

Ivelese laughed a bit at Roberta's joke "I can't make any promises that they won't. But they'll probably be with their partners to work on this project." she replied

When the teacher appeared in front of them and Roberta was put on the spot, she couldn't help but feel kind of bad for her, she herself always hated when teachers did that, it was as if they just wanted to make their students look and feel ridiculous. She looked up at him as he rambled on about how important of a skill this would be for when they went to college.

"Yea, seems like it's gonna be a great year with him in this class." she replied sarcastically to roberta "So, like I was saying earlier, just meet me at lunch, and we'll go over how we're going to work on this project."

(So, for the classes, were you planning on everyone kind of running pretty much the same schedule, or splitting up? It doesn't matter to me, I just don't wanna feel like I'm being a tag-along if you want me to splinter off.)
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

(I doubt Ivelese would have taken wood and metal shop classes, so yeah, I suppose they'd split off. That way we can skip those and get to lunch. But you probably don't wanna miss Roberta in phys ed class. Trust me. X3)

Roberta nodded. Well what did she know? They had found common ground. Don't go thinking you have a friend yet, though, Roberta told herself. She would see how this project panned out. The rest of the class period was spent derping around, thinking, and doing very little actual work, mostly out of spite for the instructor. And who got a lot done while IN class anyway?

Mercifully, the bell rang, and it was off, down the cattle chutes to gym. Oh, physical education. It was a merciful entity to ones like Roberta, a haven from all that brain work. Once she survived the pre-gymnasium gauntlet, anyway. She got to the locker room where she knocked on the door to Mrs. Pettit's office. A young, fit white horse opened the door and let her in.

"Hello, Roberta Lee, right?" the horse whinnied invitingly. "Welcome!"
Roberta shrunk down, her mane lying flat against her neck. "Um, I was just wondering if, y'know..."
"If I got the note from your parents? Yes, I did. But there's nothing to worry about here at this school," she said with a nicker. "If the other girls pick on you because of your condition--"
"--It's not a condition; it's just the way I am," Roberta interrupted, her temperature rising.
"Right, I'm sorry. But if they pick on you, come to me and I'll deal with them, okay? We don't allow fighting."

Roberta sighed. "Fiiiine," she snarled, storming off to the lockers, stalking over to the far corner of the furthest row, where fewer females were likely to change. What had gotten her out of sorts was the fact that, after taking her pants off, she was wearing RATHER masculine boxer shorts, and not because they were fashionable. Or unfashionable, but either way. Thank goodness nobody had seen her yet, but she worked to get changed quickly, hoping to miss anyone catching her with her sweatpants down. Especially her English partner. The more babbling girls came in and got ready, the more nervous she felt, and the more nervous she got, the faster she tried to change, but the faster she tried, the more mistakes she made and the slower her progress. She was pretty much doomed no matter what.

"Geez, come ON!" she growled at the zipper to her gym bag, as the changing room filled up.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

RavenFire487
God
God

Post by RavenFire487 »

As the rest of the class period droned on, Ivelese went over the sheet for the project, answering all the interview questions herself. When the bell finally rang, she was rather late getting out of the duck's classroom, she stopped at her locker in the hall, grabbing her things for gym. As she entered the locker room, and found it full of people, she frowned a bit, she was gonna have to remember to get to this class pretty quickly from this point forward. After getting an open locker and putting her lock on it to secure it as her own. She slunk away from the crowd of girls, into the small section of the locker room where the sinks and bathroom stalls were. She closed the door and hung her gym bag on the inside, she moved quickly, pulling on a pair of gray yoga pants and a loose black t-shirt to wear for class.

She came out of the stall, and tossed her gym bag in her locker, she then stood by the door to enter the gym. She never really liked gym, well not the locker room anyways. It was just an awkward thing.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

Roberta finally (finally) managed to get out of her sweats and Ravens jersey, and into her shorts and tank top. She then went past the rest of the girls into the gym. Whether there was a rule about everyone going down at the same time or not, Roberta was oblivious. Apparently not, for Mrs. Pettit came out of her office, clacked her hooves together, and ordered the more fashion-conscious ladies to hurry up and down the stairs and in already.

Everyone was ordered to line up, and a blue pit bull by the name and title of Coach Oswald drove the boys out into the open. "All right, everyone!" he barked, tail wagging, "We're gonna start our year off with a little fun. Now, just to get it out of our system, we're only going to do this once, because some of the parents don't like it. So," he said, wheeling the cart of red and purple and green and yellow rubber balls to the side of the gym, "Grab a ball and let's play us some dodgeball!"

Half the class groaned, another quarter of it whimpered, and the rest, our hyena included, practically cheered. Thinking about her project, she handed a ball to whats-her-name...er, Ivelese and said with a mischievous grin, "You might wanna be on my team."

The class was split up and divided across the battle lines. A whistle blew, and Roberta whooped, hucking her ball full force. Whifff-PING! It pegged a mouse hard enough to knock him off his little pink feet. Catching a ball, she deflected another one with it and leveled another classmate. This was her element and favorite sport, besides wrestling, football, field hockey...ok, she had a lot of favorites. Every hit was dead center, and always never above the neckline--'cuz yeah, it was fun to bean them, but getting called out meant sitting on the sidelines and missing the carnage. Game on!

RavenFire487
God
God

Post by RavenFire487 »

When the teacher called into the locker room, that was when Ivelese finally came out with all the others, despite as long before that as she had been ready , and as much as she hated the locker rooms. She hated even more the thought of being singled out as strange for leaving before everyone else did. Ivelese lined up with all the other girls, she was beside Roberta as she watched all the guys come out of the locker room, and line up. As the Coach started talking, she already had a pretty solid idea what was coming, and she was with the crowd of whimper's when he said just as she had been fearing.

When Roberta handed her a ball, she almost dropped it, her words and grin sent a chill down the small girl's frame, as she was pretty sure she hadn't been joking when she said that. Unfortunately, fate didn't seem to be on her side, because as the coach when down the line, Ivelese was sent to one team, while Roberta was sent to the other.

Ivelese instinctively moved back when she heard the whistle blow, and watched with a bit of amusement as Roberta leveled her teammates, she lost her mirth however, when the realization set in that, eventually, she'd be one of the few targets left for the Hyena to nail with one of the brightly colored rubber balls.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

As both sides began to dwindle, Roberta's true skill began to shine. Her tail was erect, mane on end, and Yes, she could peg 'em with the best, but for a fat chick, her skill made her a surprisingly difficult target. Early on, though, she realized Ivelese was on the wrong side. No worries. Roberta prayed someone else would tag her out. Just aim for the other players, like that one there.

That one there was a kinda tall-ish, bucktoothed coyote with long hair and slightly blue-tinted glasses. His icy blue eyes look maniacally focused on the entire field. Weirdo. You goin' down. Roberta's targeting systems locked on and fired. Miss! MISS?! Roberta growled. No worries, try again. Son of a brick, he jumped and it went between his legs. Clearly she was dealing with a fellow pro. Roberta adjusted her top, caught the next ball coming, and whipped it at him with a flick of the wrist, putting a mean sidespin on the ball. It curved, approaching at an angle, and...at the last second, he threw his pelvis out to the side, missing the ball by mere centimeters. He tossed his head to shake the hair out of his eyes and crouched low again.

Roberta snarled. She whipped a stinger into a fennec's kiester just for spite, relishing the yip it produced, then focused on the coyote again. Swivel-hips here was getting on her nerves. So help her, he was GOING to be out, and by her paws.

RavenFire487
God
God

Post by RavenFire487 »

Ivelese however, played the game much like the lanky Coyote that she could see Roberta attempting to take out, she merely swerved out of the path of most of the balls that came her way. Eventually she got ahold of one, and chucked it over to the other side, managing to hit a player on Roberta's he was a thin fox of average height, with spikey blue hair, she smiled as he walked over to sit with the players who were out. She heard a teammate of hers yell, and swerved her head just in time to miss a ball coming right for it. The game was starting to get down to the wire, with only Ivelese and two others on her team, and Roberta with three others on hers.

She watched her one teammate take out a player on Roberta's side, only to get taken out himself a split-second later, Ok, make that two to three now.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

Roberta couldn't stand it. Neither of the other team members was being hit. Her team had gone down to another sissy on her side and another jock. Neither of them, nor her, could hit the other team, but at least for Roberta, Ivelese hadn't been plastered because the hyena hadn't tried to.

Anyway back to her current target. With neither of the opposing team actually throwing, the balls naturally ended up all on that side. The coyote finally worked up the cojones to return fire, seeing as how it was the only way to progress. Now Roberta would be able to observe his true skill, she thought to herself, but not in so grand of words. More like let's see what the scrawny little nerd's got. He picked up a ball, reached back, and heaved! Throwing...like...a...little...girl. The high lob arced on a slow, lazy path, and it almost felt too easy for Roberta to catch it. Her worthy opponent lacked a throwing arm, and was out. Unfortunately, that left...oh no. There was only one other fur on the field, and if she threw and it wasn't caught, the raw power and testosterone of the water buffalo would do some serious stinging if it connected with Ivelese. And for the sake of fr---NO! Not friendship, dag nabbit. She was a prep, Roberta had to remind herself. But just to put Ivelese down as humanely as possible, Roberta threw one for maximum accuracy and minimum power, aiming for the lower body and thighs to avoid critical areas. It was the nicest throw she'd ever attempted in all her years of dodgeball.

RavenFire487
God
God

Post by RavenFire487 »

Ivelese watched with high expectations, as the Coyote finally picked up one of the many balls, and sent it across. It took all of the girl's strength not to laugh as the ball went on a pathetic arc, and was caught by Roberta with no trouble at all. She turned and shook her head as she watched the Coyote walk over to sit with the rest of the team. She turned back just as the return fire from Roberta was about to connect, she dove out of the way, and scooped up a ball, it flew across, pegging the sissy on Roberta's team. She grabbed another and whipped it at the water buffalo. She used the split second she had after launching the ball to quickly stand herself up.

She smirked, she wasn't good at many of the sports, but this was one of the few she usually did pretty good at, she usually got hit pretty early on though, so this was the first time the students in this class got to see her actual skill in the game.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

(one guess who that coyote is. He's based entirely on truth.)

Roberta stalled, head tilted. What was this? Prep got game? Hadn't she been one of the players who whimpered? Roberta thought. It was a brief thought. Her competitive instinct overrode any pauses for concentration. That throw had bounced off the buffalo's hoof-hands, and it was down to one on one. Roberta dashed over, scooped up one ball, then caught the other as it rolled back from bouncing off the wall. She cracked her neck. All right, missy. What you got?

The other sporty-types were impressed at the fat chick. Ordinarily, furs with her body fat percentage were the ones taken out first, but this one showed true potential as a contender. Some actually rooted, but fell silent when their peers failed to join in. Now it was down to her and the pretty girl. Roberta gave a whooping battlecry and hucked both balls at the same time, rather than allow a split-second for her opponent to react. She was ready for counterassault.

RavenFire487
God
God

Post by RavenFire487 »

(I have no clue who he could be.)

Watching with a smirk as the Buffalo's hooves were incapable of catching the throw, Ivelese smirked and gulped at the same time. As she realized that she was the last one standing, but also the last one against Roberta. Ivelese grimaced a bit, as some of the people on the other team started trying to cheer for Roberta. But nobody on her own team wanted to cheer for her it seemed.

She had been so distracted by the thought that she only had time to turn to the side as both balls came at her. The one flew past her stomach, the other went past her back, missing her by fractions of an inch, the game was getting intense. It was gonna be one of them sooner or later, with that thought, she grabbed three balls in her left arm, and whipped all three at Roberta one by one.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

(Hint: you're RP'ing with him.)

Gah! Rapid-fire the balls came at Roberta, who finally felt her own weight and its impedance to her dodging ability for the first two. She barely made it, laughing the whooping laugh of fear her species was known for. Whoa, third coming in fast! She put her paws up, but the ball glanced off, going straight up. Cue slow-motion. She reached up, clawing frantically to catch the ball. Each touch drove it a few centimeters further upward, the tension intensifying with each hollow ping of her claws on the rubber. Finally, Roberta opened her arms and let it come down to her. But stupid rubber ball! It bounced again off her arms. NO! She was not going to lose it, not going to lose in her first round. With a bit more fumbling, Roberta secured it in place, hugged against her body. Caught! Out!

Oh thank heaven, her dominance was asserted and intact. Roberta grinned, then spun the ball on the tip of one finger. "Good game," she said with a little bow of her head.

RavenFire487
God
God

Post by RavenFire487 »

(Ah, I see. That's actually pretty cool.)

Ivelese watched intently as Roberta just barely managed to dodge the first two balls, she chuckled a bit hearing the Hyena laugh as they were stereotypically portrayed to. As the third went in, she saw Roberta prepared to catch it, this is how she originally figured she'd be out, her skill at catching had been shown pretty well throughout the game, figuring her to catch it straight away, the wolf turned to walk off, hearing the rubber ping echo through the mostly silent gym she turned her head to watch the Hyena desperately struggle to catch the ball, and almost loose it twice because of the effort she put into trying to hold it.

"Man, I was so close to actually winning there." she muttered, before going over to the rest of the students on her team.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

Well, round one went to Roberta's side of the gym. Though hmm...the thought crossed her mind to take a dive on the second round, just to make her...acquaintance feel better. No hard feelings, right? Right! So...ok, who was she kidding? Roberta's competitive instinct was running wide open, and there was no way she'd take a dive for something so trivial as gym-class sportsfurship. The next round, she did get hit, but at least she had survived to near the end. Dumb luck, was all it was. Though her rival, darn him, almost never got hit. She studied his movements, but every time, the only way he got out was when he threw in that comically pathetic fashion. It made her laugh out loud, in spite of the looks of disapproval from the white mare with the whistle. Though she had to hand it to him, he tried harder than most of the class, and definitely harder than the rest of his weight category. And in a move that would cement her fate over a decade later1, she realized coyotes were kinda cute. In their own way. Maybe if one approached her with the right attitude--nice and submissive, the way she liked her boys. But naaaaah, more important things going on here.

Someone else who'd earned her respect, much as she hated to admit it, was Ivelese. So she wasn't just glittery lip balm and Seventeen Magazine. That blasted, nagging feeling of wanting to heed her mother's advice to make friends kept gnawing at her. Okay, FINE, Mother, she would try to befriend the she-wolf. Be nice to her and all that garbage. The true test would come a few classes later, at the lunch table. But first, there were about two more rounds of dodgeball. They would go quickly enough, Roberta figured from the sidelines.

1 - for further adventures of Roberta and the introduction of her boyfriend, "Turnpike" LaTrans the coyote, see "The Exile's Return" - Larcen