Arctic Vacation

Some one-thousand years into the future, Feila is now ruled by pop-crazy teenagers, computer nerds, and gun-wielding gangsters. This period is most like our present day Earth, specifically the 2000's, with the Internet, MP3 players, and towering skyscrapers. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
Asyriel
God
God

Arctic Vacation

Post by Asyriel »

Malcom smiled as he stepped off the plane, and into the height of the Arctic summer. The weather was idea, and it was warm enough that he only felt the need for a light jacket to keep him warm. He nodded to himself as he came to the conclusion that summer had been the best time to visit the Arctic Isles, one of the few places he hadn't journeyed to during his time in the Edwinian special forces, though he had always wanted to. He went through customs with relative ease, and got his passport stamped. He picked up his luggage inside the small airport terminal, and rummaged around inside one of his bags until he found the guidebook, and translation dictionary he had been looking for. He slipped the dictionary into a pocket in his jacket, and opened up the guide book.

He exited the airport terminal with his suitcase in one hand, and the guidebook in the other, his nose buried in the book as he walked along a sidewalk. "could catch a cab...hmm..then again,maybe I should rent a car, it would make getting places more convenient..." he muttered to himself, mostly oblivious to his surroundings as he went, though he somehow avoided being run over or jostling other pedestrians too much.

His path generally took him in the direction of the car rental lot. "I wonder if they'll accept my driver's license...hmm..hadn't thought of that earlier. Guess I'll find out..." he said to himself as he looked up from the guidebook long enough to make sure he was headed in the right direction, then went back to looking through the book.
Sponsor

Catalina Tamiko
King
King
Species: Feline-Tiger/Panther

Re: Arctic Vacation

Post by Catalina Tamiko »

Click clack click clack click clunk CRACK!! "Nyaaaaaaaa!!" The hurried steps were the prelude, the heel snapping from such a hurry was the main attention grabber. As several furs turned to see, the lithe, white ferret female tumbled. Ferrets are SUPPOSED to have the ability to be naturally graceful. They SHOULD have agility and flexibility. Wakia slid on her face a full foot and a half before his body hit the ground behind her, stopping all movement.

The residents of the city had long ago gotten well used to it. She was a nut case, hopelessly lost in her own day dreams. Her clothing choice was always something most would never wear in this climate. High heels, short skirt, and three sizes too big blouse. As she pushed herself back up, her wings spread wider. The soft brown eyes looked to and fro before she giggled. She had at least forgone the makeup. Wiping the dirt off her face with a small kerchief she kept in her purse, she spoke softly. "Oops...did it again. I shouldn't rush things."
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

My Cast of critters. (INCOMPLETE) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6514
Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Malcom had ignored most of the world around him in favor of his book, up until he heard the sharp crack. That had him spinning around as if someone had lit his tail on fire. He dropped his guide book, and instinctively reached for a weapon he wasn't carrying as he watched white ferret tumble face first onto the ground now in front of him. It wasn't until she started pushing herself off of the ground that reality took over and Malcom relaxed. "ooh...that looked like it hurt.." he said with a bit of a sympathetic wince as he approached the female ferret. "Are you all right?" he asked as he offered a paw to help her up off the ground. "the perils of high heels eh?" He continued as he noticed the broken heel of one of her shoes. "so, what's the rush?" he asked with some curiosity as he thought about what the ferret had said to herself as she wiped her face clean....
Catalina Tamiko
King
King

"hm?" she muttered as she looked up. taking his paw she grinned at him. "Oh Im fine didnt hurt in the least." standing, she took off her shoes and tucked them in her bag. "Im trying to get to the book store. They just released a new book by one of my favorite authors. I got to hurry if I want to get a copy." She held up a flier in her paw. It was an advertisement for a new book, one that was released three months ago. The flier was old, and the ferret had no idea.

"Wanna come?" she asked curiously as she tilted her head, almost upside down.
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Malcom looked skeptical when the ferret said that she had not been hurt in the least, but he didn't comment on it. He looked at the flyer she held up, and struggled to read it. His spoken Arctic was decent, though it did have an obvious accent, but his reading of the language was rather abysmal. He thought he could make out the authors name, but the thing he could decipher best was the date, and it was obviously long past.

He opened his mouth to inform the ferret that the flyer was more than just a little old when he was surprised by a direct invitation to join her. He paused for a moment, unsure what to say, then thought about it. Knowing a local would be much better than a guidebook, he thought to himself. He shrugged. "sure, why not." he said with a charming smile before he retrieved his book from the ground, and offered an arm to the ferret.
Catalina Tamiko
King
King

She took his offered arm and smiled. heading for the book store, she took him down the street, coming to a stop at the front of the store. she grabbed the knob and turned it. The thing crushed under her paw strength as she held the door open. Inside the proprietor was stacking books on a cart. looking up, he rolled his eyes. He was an arctic fox, clothed in a sweater and warm pants. His bare feet brushing over the carpet as he came over. Looking at the ferret he sighed, "What ARE we gonna do with you? You have to be gentle with the doors Wakia. They aren't easy to fix up here. The parts are expensive."

He then looked at Malcom. "Sorry sir. Please. Come in out of the cold." he let them in and then closed the door. sighing as he put the chain on it to keep it closed. Moving back to his cart of books he spoke, "If you find something you want. just call me. Wakia, i mean it. dont try to get the books off the high shelves."

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Malcom looked at the crushed doorknob, and shook his head. He looked at the owner of the bookstore and marveled at how casually he took the crushing destruction of the doorknob. Something's not right here. he thought to himself as he followed Wakia into the shop. "Thank you." He said to the shopkeep with a nod, and a smile. As he followed Wakia down the isles of books, he wondered to himself just what happened when she tried to get books from the top shelf.

"So Wakia huh?" He asked "My name is Malcom...some people call me Mal." he said as he looked at the books on their shelves, not really paying much attention as he didn't understand what a lot of them said. "I'm assuming you live in the area." he said conversationally "is there anything you would recommend a tourist like myself should see?"
Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Wakia giggled, "Malcom is a nice name. Yea I live in the hotel back the way we came. as far as should see..... hmm the hot springs are good." she was talking as she looked at some of the books on the shelf. "Maybe the little shops on the main street. There's a clothing store there too. The boys that run it are so fun! They like to throw parties for the ones like me." She flicked a wing, trying to adjust it, before reaching up to a shelf. her paw hesitated before touching it. Slowly pulling down the book. looking it over, she set it back right where it had come from.. Turning slowly her wings bumped the shelf softly and that same book fell, hit a stack of books, and knocked them over. She cringed, waiting for the screaming to start.

The owner came up, arms crossed as he looked at her. He was upset, but level headed at least. "Wakia.....I swear... Why....why can't you just listen? Why do you have to do things for yourself?" She sniffled, "I didn't mean too....." The fox sighed and put a paw to his face. "Don't worry about it. I'll pick it up. just go stand by the register please."

He then started muttering softly, in something other than the arctic language. His tail twitched as he picked up the stack of books. Wakia moved to the counter to wait. Sighing as she stood there she spoke again. "Im hopeless."

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

"hot springs huh? That does sound nice" Malcom replied as he watched Wakia adjust a wing. ones like me? he wondered to himself what could she mean by that... He was only half watching her pick a book from a shelf as he continued to contemplate. The shops did sound like a nice attraction too, but he was still wondering just what the comment about ones like her was supposed to mean. As he adjusted his attention back to Wakia, her wings bumped the shelf and a book fell, starting a chain reaction that led to books scattered all over the floor of the isle. He looked at her as a strange thought struck him. She seems to have almost the polar opposite of my luck. The thought had him stifling a chuckle as he followed her toward the register.

Malcom felt sympathy for her as she expressed her hopelessness. "Nobody is completely hopeless." he replied softly, and with a warm smile. "the trick is just finding your niche."
Catalina Tamiko
King
King

She looked at him and smiled again. "Sorry. I'm just clumsy. Always have been." The owner finally came to the counter. "Now then, what were you looking for this time?" She held up the flier, and looked it over. "Wakia...this was three months ago. I don't know if I still have a copy." Taking the flier she looked it over. Seeing the date she sighed and slumped. The fox looked at his shelves and moved to one on the back. "Here. you can have my own copy." She looked over and smiled brightly. Pulling her purse up, she dug inside for the money. The fox set the book down and looked to Malcom. "Now then my good sir. What can I get for you? A translator book, or maybe a map of the town?" his tone was cheerful and bright.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

"clumsy huh, maybe a little bit." Malcom said with a smile before the owner made it to the counter. He pulled out his wallet, and smiled as Wakia dug through her purse. "My treat, and a map would be great." He said to the fox behind the counter. "cash, or do you take plastic?" he asked as he sifted through the contents of his wallet, looking for local currency hidden among travelers checks, and Edwinian currency. Malcom paid for his map as well as Wakia's book. "So, if you've nothing else going on, would you mind showing me to those shops you were talking about earlier?" he asked as he headed for the door.
Catalina Tamiko
King
King

The owner picked up the map from a stack on the side, and set it with the book, "I can take the card. But it takes two days to clear, so remember to keep up with your receipt." He put an old fashioned credit card swipe on the counter. The kind that required carbon paper and ink. Loading the paper in it, he turned the dial to the proper day and year. Taking the card, he ran the swipe over it, making a copy. Then he wrote a hand receipt from a receipt book and set it on the counter. "There you are. And your card as well." Setting the card with it, he stapled his own copy to the swipe copy and set them in the register.

Wakia hugged the book to her chest and smiled happily. taking Malcom's paw she talked with him out the door. Once the owner closed it she giggled. "Come on, the shops are all over here on the Main street. Her paw was extraordinarily warm. The soft fur ruffled in a light breeze, as did her wings. She didn't even notice. Her tail puffed out as she paused to look at the stores, trying to figure out what one first. "Hmmm. Too warm for Ice Cream.... maybe... Oh! I know!" She gave his paw a soft tug toward what looked like a clothing store.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

"Not a problem, thank you" Malcom replied as the shopkeep explained that it would take some time for the charge to run through. Malcom didn't seem terribly worried about his money situation, which could probably be attributed to recent wins in poker tournaments.

Malcom followed happily as Wakia led him down the street hand in hand. He noticed how warm hand was, and suddenly it made sense as to why she was what most would consider under dressed for the weather. His head swiveled as he looked all around, able to take the time to really enjoy the surroundings as Wakia led the way. Her comment about ice cream was enough to give him pause, and he gave her a curious look as she tugged him toward a shop. "too warm for ice cream?" he asked with only a small hint of incredulity
Catalina Tamiko
King
King

"Yea! its warm enough to melt right now!" She opened the door to the shop, taking care to open it slowly. As the bell dinged, a voice called out, "Welcome! Be with you in a moment!" Wakia let Malcom in before closing the door. It was then a red fox skipped, literally skipped into view and up to them. "Why hello! Wakia did you bring us a new face?" The fox seemed bubbly and up beat. His eyes a tinged mix of deep red, and swirled emerald green. The ferret giggled, "His name is Malcom. He's up here seeing the sights. I thought you might like to meet him." The fox smiled and held out a paw, though not like a man. more like a woman as he gave a little curtsy. Wakia smiled, "This is Agreal. He's Amadeas' mate. They make the best clothing in the world!"

The fox blushed, "I don't know about the world, but maybe at least in the Arctic." The ox them giggled and motioned for them to follow. his own clothing looking a mix of modern city fashion twisted up with the traditional arctic wear. A pinstripe vest made of silk, under an overcoat of thick feral animal fur. The pants were made of some soft white material, and the boots were covered over in a thick white fur. All around the shop, clothing designs from all over the world. "Welcome to our little shop. Everything we make is custom measured and crafted by hand. Now, seeing as you are Wakia's friend and New in town, why dont you pick out something and we'll see how it fits you."

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Malcom chuckled as Wakia explained why it was too warm for Ice cream. "That is true, cant really argue with that logic." he replied. He looked around at all of the clothing in the shop before a fox came skipping in. He gave a warm smile as he shook the fox's paw, and shook it gently. "Nice to meet you." he said politely as Wakia introduced them. "it all looks quite well made" he complimented as Agreal spoke of his clothing. "it's all quite interesting" he commented as he followed Agreal, looking as they went. He thought for a few moments when Agreal suggest that he pick something out. "what do you have that would impress at a poker table?" he asked "one that's a little more high stakes." he clarified with a grin. It had been some time since Malcom sat a "friendly" poker game, and most of his frinds in Edwin knew better than to gamble against him.