Arctic Vacation

Some one-thousand years into the future, Feila is now ruled by pop-crazy teenagers, computer nerds, and gun-wielding gangsters. This period is most like our present day Earth, specifically the 2000's, with the Internet, MP3 players, and towering skyscrapers. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
Catalina Tamiko
King
King
Species: Feline-Tiger/Panther

Re: Arctic Vacation

Post by Catalina Tamiko »

She smiled, "Oh yes. Most tourists don't normally talk with the locals. They assume we are ignorant of the outside world. We're isolated, not cut off. Though in their defense, it does take a few days for news to reach us." She paused at a shop front, looking through the window. It was empty, and had been for some time. The log cabin like building used to be the barber shop, but they had moved to a better building. So now this one sat alone and empty.
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

My Cast of critters. (INCOMPLETE) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6514

Sponsor

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Malcom shook his head "but locals are the best source of information in an area, especially if you can speak the language." He chuckled "If I want news about the rest of the world, I'll turn on a tv, or go back to being a part of it." He stopped next to Wakia, and looked at the empty shop. "looks like an opportunity for a fresh business" he commented as he looked through the window as well. or an ideal location for a high stakes game. he thought to himself. "It's nice sometimes to get away from the world, go somewhere that it's influence isn't quite as strong." He was mostly just thinking aloud at this point. "gotta get away from the crowds from time to time, start to go nuts being crammed in with them for too long." He continued as he waited for Wakia to continue to lead the way.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Wakia nodded to his statements, but otherwise left his comments alone. Her eyes roved the shopfront. In her own mind, she saw an art gallery. Filled with paintings from all over the world. All levels of talent, no matter how large or small. After a moment, she leaned back and smiled. "Come on. not too far before the ice hotel."

She took his paw and walked along. motioning here and there toward what was a shop front or a business. Finally she paused. Not far ahead, was a massive building. It stood taller than everything else in town, and dominated the entire eastern side. It glittered in the light, made purely of ice and wood. "There it is. The Ice Hotel. We can go inside and take a tour, or rent rooms. They have a bar, a ballroom, and a parlor that is usually hired out by wealthy furs."

The motioned further along, "Over there are the hot springs. Further up the hill. Most everyone in town goes there. They are free for all. Mostly because there are so many of them. That and the mayor feels that charging people to visit something natural is wrong."
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Malcom looked down for a moment, and smiled as Wakia took hold of his paw. He didn't comment, nor did he attempt to pull his paw away, he seemed to be enjoying it. He shivered at the thought of actually spending the night in an ice hotel. He looked up at the massive structure, genuinely quite impressed with the scope of the project, plus the beauty as the light reflected off it's surfaces. "I think the tour would be nice" he commented before Wakia pointed out the location of the hot springs. "hey, I can't argue with your mayor's philosophy on that one." He said with a chuckle. "are there facilities or caretakers, or do you just go out, and pick a pool?" he asked curiously. He was wondering what to expect when he went up there.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Wakia smiled, "There are caretakers, as well as facilities for changing and storing your cloths. The pools are large in most parts, but there are a few smaller ones that they built huts around for private groups. Its mostly for people that don't like to bare it all in public." Moving toward the Ice hotel, she brought him inside. It was actually warm inside, without melting the whole place. The wolf at the desk looked up, and smiled, "Afternoon. Will you be renting a room?" Wakia shook her head. "The tour please." The wolf nodded and reached over to a small phone. picking it up and said something in the Arctic tongue to whomever picked up. Then smiled, "Tour guide will be here in a moment. Feel free to have a seat." Inside the place was mostly made of ice. Though all the furniture was lined with thick furs and pelts from feral animals.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Malcom chuckled "I'm sure the covered ones could be quite intimate." he mused as Wakia explained how the hot springs were set up. "of course I've always been a bit of an exhibitionist so I don't think using the main pools will bother me any." He looked around as they entered the ice hotel, and was pleased to find that it was just as impressive on the inside as it was on the outside. "at least they have coverings for the furniture." he commented with a chuckle as he found a small 'couch' they could both sit on while they waited. "still think I would prefer a room with a heater and a mattress" He said as he sat to wait for their guide. "Do you visit the hot springs often?" He asked Wakia to continue the conversation.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Wakia took a seat beside him. As she did, her tail curled around her waist. "OH I know what you mean. Ice and snow are fun to play in, but horrid for your back when sleeping. My house burned down once, so I stayed here while it was rebuilt. The manager was nice enough to let me have a room for free. After that My parents built their own home, and my brother moved into his shop to live. So I have a house all to myself."

It was then a tour guide came. A small, arctic fox. he smiled, "Hello Wakia! Brought a friend to see the place?" She smiled and nodded at the guy, "Yup! He's new so I offered to show him around." the little guy nodded, "Alright come on then. Let's go see the place." He brought out some keys and led them toward the side. Opening a door, he smiled. "Here we have the Winter Wonderland Ballroom. We just re-surfaced it, so it's kind of like an ice ring right now. Watch Your step!"

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Malcom had genuine sympathy in his voice when he replied after Wakia's story. "That must have been a rough time, and probably not a preferred method to get a place to yourself." he said trying not to dive too deeply into the darker places a story like that could take a conversation. "do you like having a house to yourself?" he asked, thinking that she didn't strike him as someone eager for that kind of situation, of course he could be dead wrong.

"Hello" He said when their guide showed up, at this point he wasn't surprised that Wakia knew the guide as well. He stayed close to Wakia as they followed the guide to the first room. "wow, it's almost like a floor of glass." he commented as he fought down the urge to run into the room and slide across the floor, likely resulting in him falling on his butt. "you wouldn't happen to have a skating ring in this place too would you?" he blurted out as the thought came to mind.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

The guide laughed, "No not inside. But there is a frozen pond out back. We regularly have ice skating there." After letting them look around a moment more, he led them toward a different area. It was smaller, and more refined. "Here we have the bar. it opens in three hours. Everyone is welcome, guests or visitors. All the glasses are made of ice as well, so you have a good cold drink." He smiled leading them toward a back door. "Here is my favorite place..." He opened the doors. Inside was a large indoor pool. It was full of water, warm water. The pool itself was made of Concrete, surrounded by thick earth and tile. The building was still made of ice. "We pump in water from the hot springs, and fill this pool so that our guests can still enjoy some swimming without being Arctic furs. He leaned in the door and let them look around.

Wakia smiled as she looked around. "This is something I enjoy a lot. When winter arrives I come here to swim and take the chill off my bones."

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

"hmm...that could be some fun." he commented about the skating pond. He grinned as they entered the bar. "Ice glasses, not a bad idea....definitely can't hold one of those an nurse it too long" he said with a chuckle. "though I'm sure that's not a bad thing for drink revenues" The pool had him grinning "now that's the way to have your cake and eat it too." he said. "fancy hotel, indoors, and a pool full of water straight from the springs." He nodded at Wakia's comment. "I'm sure it beats getting out of that nice hot water, and having to walk through the cold air to get back to your clothes." he replied "how booked up is the parlor this week?" he asked the guide curiously. He still hadn't gotten in touch with his local contact about his game, and was wondering if maybe it would be hosted at the ice hotel.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

The guide rubbed his chin. "Hmmm, I'm not sure. I would have to ask the manager. But I would have to guess pretty booked. We stay booked really. It's a tourist attraction, this place." The guide led them to a different place now, and up a set of stairs to the top. it looked like castle ramparts, made of ice. "Here we go. The last view of the tour." Wakia walked to the edge of the roof, looking out over the small village. "It's almost like a castle....Like looking out over a kingdom of ice and snow."

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Malcom nodded as the guide explained about the parlor being regularly booked. "makes sense." he replied thoughtfully as he decided he would just get in touch with his contact later in the evening, and get all the information he needed. He turned his attention to Wakia, watching as she made her way to the edge of the roof. He made his way over closer. "It does definitely have that feel." He agreed, with a smile. "I bet it would be interesting at night...with the light coming from inside" He commented leaned to look out over the edge. "could even be romantic with the right companion." He mused as he looked out over the landscape.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Wakia laughed softly, "I wouldn't know. Only romance I ever have in my life....aside from the occasional drink with my brother is my love of books. Never had anyone interested in me long enough to get past my clumsiness." The ferret stretched and then smiled, looking to the north. There, in the middle of the empty ice and snow, was a flickering light. One that made her feel so warm and happy inside. "Did I mention we have a shrine here?" She asked, taking his paw.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Malcom smiled "your clumsiness is endearing in it's own way. It would seem that you just haven't found the right fur yet....though I'm not sure I would call drinks with your brother romantic" He replied quietly, a chuckle added to the last statement. "A shrine?" he asked in slightly clueless tones as he held onto her paw. "shrine to who?" he continued as he looked out over the landscape in the direction Wakia was looking, wondering if she was looking at something specific.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Wakia smiled. "Tellissa. Our godess and creator. Patron Saint of Paladins and mother of the arctic angels." She gently took his paw. "Here let me show you." After a moment he saw what she saw. That tiny glimmer of light suddenly burst into a radiant glow. The very lights of the north, the aroura poured from that point. Glowing with a vibrant light like a beacon of hope and safety. Then it faded. "That...that is how I see the world. I can see the good in everything, even if no one else can."