Lest you entertain angels unawares...

This is where all of the Age of Information role-plays are archived.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Lest you entertain angels unawares...

Post by Rackenhammer »

One of the fascinating things about the Arctic Islands, felt by furs who do not live there, is the fact that they are inhabited at all. The lands can be beautiful, in their own way, but they hardly support nomads, let alone an entire civilization. But that is one of the glories of sentient furs, that they can defy the nature of their environment; and no merely natural sight is quite so picturesque as a town at the very edge of livable ground.

Vardo was one such town, on the northern edge of the largest Island in the archipelago. It owed its existence to mining, and everything that couldn't be brought up from the tunnels had to be either shipped in during the few weeks of summer, or else flown in when the port was iced over. Nevertheless, it was a thriving little town, with tourists coming in to enjoy the hotel made out of ice, the geothermal springs, or just the sheer beauty of the surroundings.

One such might be seen ambling down the street one day. I say might, because one couldn't see the figure itself, as it was bundled so much with furs as to be practically indistinguishable in every feature. It carried a walking stick, but more out of affectation than any necessity, given that the figure was twirling it as he walked. Suddenly, however, he stopped, as an unusual sight had arrested his eye.

Most of the buildings in Vardo were either built in the traditional arctic style, or else in slabs of poured concrete that made for a rough mix that was the aesthetic of the northern mining town. But right in the middle of the road was a strange anomaly: a shopfront, for a tailor's of all things, that looked like it had come right off of Pall Mall in the Edwinian capital. The bundled figure stood looking at the shop, as if verifying its existence, before pushing open the door.

A little bell rung to announce its presence to the proprietor, and he might have also heard the delighted little laugh from inside the fur wrappings...
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

Catalina Tamiko
King
King
Species: Feline-Tiger/Panther

Re: Lest you entertain angels unawares...

Post by Catalina Tamiko »

The shop was kept warm inside, by the large wood burning stove in the center, set up and decorated as if part of the display. Mannequins stood all around, displaying clothing styles from all corners of the globe, and a few that looked as if they came right from Lady Gaga's own closet. There was a rustle, as the sound of the bell and a melodic voice carried forward from a back wall, "Be with you in a minute!" Though no fur was seen, the sound of soft foot pads prancing across the floor preceded a very joyous vulpine that practically bounced as he walked. His lithe form covered in a fashionable, but practical outfit. A soft, velvet shirt, and pants, topped with a thick over fur from one of the local wildlife fur animals.

He paused a moment to look around and spot the customer, before walking forward. His step in a wide sway motion, his tail arched up, proudly displayed. "hello?: he asked politely. His eyes, a tinged mix of vampire red eyes, but also something holy. Green swirls in the red that seemed to pulse lightly with a warmth and life.
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

My Cast of critters. (INCOMPLETE) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6514

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

"Hello!" The answering voice was Edwinian, and urbane. "I would like to have a suit done, please."

The obscuring furs were soon shed, and hung casually on a nearby mannequin. They revealed a figure that was quite singular, yet in a broad sense typical. Just as a fur in a doublet and ruffed collar was typical of Shakespeare's time, though as a fact most furs never wore such an outfit even then; so was this stranger typical of the 21st century. He, like the shopkeep, was a fox, with a coat of pale yellow, and eyes of a mild and unmixed blue. They could be clearly seen through the lensless horn-rimmed glasses that he wore.
The rest of his outfit pretty much confirmed the suspicion any fur might have. The ugly scarf, a t-shirt with a band name quite unknown to most anyfur, and jeans that looked as if they had been washed in dish detergent. What shoes were under the boots one could scarcely guess, but all in all, the revealed vulpine looked as if he lived out of a Starbucks. Even his walking, with the mis-shaped silver knob, was not inappropriate to the look.

What was inappropriate, however, was that such a figure should ask for a suit. He seemed to note a faint suggestion of surprise in the mixed eyes of the red fox, so he tossed off an explanation, along with the scarf. "Oh, I'm giving all this up. When one is poor, one makes a virtue of necessity, and a poet must obey the conventions of his social circle. But, as I'm moving up in the world, I should adapt." He pulled off the ornamental spectacles, tossing them upon the same mannequin as the discarded scarf. "You may as well sell my old things; I came up here to meet someone, and I should like to be dressed well when I do. Something in a bluish-grey, I think?"

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Though Agreal WAS indeed surprised, he masked it from most of his face with ease. The look in his eyes did reveal some surprise, but at the mention of the customer's desire for a color, he smiled and motioned. "Come with me then sire." He spoke with a different tone, practiced elegance unbefitting his job and the given time. A tone and accent from ages gone.

The fox led his companion to the back of the shop, where there was a fitting room. Inside said room was a platform surrounded 180 degrees with full length mirrors. "Stand up there, I shall have my mate come give me a paw. He is better suited to taking measurements than I. I shall only be a moment sire." The fox drifted through a partially open door nearby, and spoke in a silky tone to another fur. There was a soft, almost inaudible reply. The door opened and the fox returned, in tow was an unusual wolf. He stood above average for his kind, gracing his thick arctic fur was a pair of equally white wings adorning his back, the tips of the longest feathers just touching the floor. his clothing more appropriate for a tailor shop. A pinstripe vest, buttoned tightly, forcing his chest fur to ruffle and push up over the top of the v-cut like the plumage of a great white bird. His pants were ankle length, pressed and pinstripe to match the vest. his mane of green hair tied and greased into a loose ponytail that looked presentable. The wolf's four feet of tail, brushed, groomed, and adorned with brightly decorative gold bracelets. his speech much more formal, and toned more to the accent of the native people. "Greetings sir. My mate has told me you desire our services for a suit. I would happily assist." His eyes matched the fox's perfectly, but with a much more piercing gaze, as if he were examining a fur not by their look but by their personality and soul.
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

The stranger followed Argeal into the fitting room, gazing around in polite interest, as one who had not been in one for a while, and was wondering if the science had advanced any. In reality, it really hadn't, not if you wanted quality. The best still measured by hand, and cut with honed precision. And these two were among the best.

He nodded after the exiting red fox, standing on the platform with his hands in his pockets. He seemed to perk up as the wolf entered, a light of recognition entering his eyes. "Well, if it isn't the gentlefur himself! I have heard much, but nothing about your day job. I had wanted to be better dressed when I made my introduction..." Those blue eyes of his took Amadeas' piercing gaze like a pond took a pebble thrown in. "You can call me Syme; I've more names, but that's the shortest."

Syme seemed normal and cheerful enough, but there was something incongruous about his whole being, which a perceptive onlooker might have gathered. Something in the manner of a hipster asking for a suit, or a motorcycle gang at an Owl City concert. There was a story at the back of him, though one could hardly tell where it began.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Amadeas's expression changed drastically, as did Agreal's. The fox, seemed rather worried, and stepped away from the wolf. The wolf, seemed to grow aggitated. The doors to the fitting room were still ajar and he kept his voice down lest other ears be present. "My I inquire as to the nature of your intention for our meeting dear sir?" he placed his paws behind his back. Agreal licked his suddenly dry lips and whispered, "Love...careful..." The wolf motioned with his head, as nonchalant as possible. "Nothing to fear my darling. I'm just asking a question."

The wolf's tail arched up, puffing out and betraying his emotions. His ears swivelled to and fro, searching for more than this one. He couldn't exactly place this creature in his vast book of beings, but he had narrowed it down. Magical, trace amounts but there. Possibly mortal, maybe more. Not demonic, but still no exact classification. His paws cupped behind his back, in a manner that completely hid them. If needed he could summon help. They were all around the city. "I am but a tailor. I don't normally associate with my customer base. Most are far more wealthy than I. What business would you have with me?"

The fox shifted his stance, leaning back toward the door to the back room. He glanced back there a few times, trying to determine if his path was clear or not. Amadeas was not outwardly aggressive, but the fox knew his mate deeply. He knew the wolf's currently mood was a step away from going nuclear. It all depended upon the visitor.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Syme seemed almost puzzled by his host's increased agitation. Indeed, he almost looked a little hurt at their suspicion. "Well, I should hardly call it 'business,' as such. It's more of the pleasure one takes in meeting a great hero, or taking a pilgrimage to the shrine of a saint. I say pilgrimage, though that is probably not the right word," He stood in an attitude of thought, one hand on the wolf's shoulder as he mused, "As I did travel here by airplane, which advantage I am told the old Pilgrims did not have."

He stepped back, as if that little talk was reassuring enough, but seeing that it was not, he sighed. "Ah, yes, perhaps this is not a place to speak freely. I really should have given you my calling card first..." And with a conjurer's gesture, he pulled a feather seemingly from nowhere, and solemnly handed it to Amadeas. It was overall bluish in color, though fading to silver at the tip, and deepening to a greenish gold at the base. It would have been instantly recognizable, to any who had seen an Angel's feather before...

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Amadeas took the feather, looking it over a moment before speaking much softer and friendly. "yes..this would have helped much." He motioned to the fox to close the doors. Once it was done, the wolf relaxed. "Forgive us. The last customer that wanted to speak to me personally tried to cut my head off." He set the feather aside on a table and picked up a measuring tape.

Standing on the platform he spoke. "Agreal," the fox picked up a pad and pen. The wolf stretched the tape from the feline's neck to his heel. Calling off a number he glanced at the feline. "Which regiment?" The fox tilted an ear close. He knew a fair bit about how the system worked, and was taking mental note of what the answer would mean.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

(Syme is a gold fox, just so you know, not a cat.)

The newly-revealed angel stretched out his arms, to allow for easier measurement. He kept his tone chatty and conversational as he spoke, notwithstanding the somewhat unusual subject of the conversation. "Really? How did he propose to do so, did he have the blade out and ready, or somehow conceal it on his person?"

And then they asked his regiment, which provoked a laugh from Syme. "Oh, I'm one of the Irregulars." This was a response that might mean anything; from being part of a secret service, to being career poison to any commanding officer, to actually being an anarchist. At any rate, he wasn't forthcoming with more details, instead tacking on to a new subject.
"I've heard many rumors about what actually happened here; seeing you, I can dismiss many as simply libelous. But is it really true that you've signed on as a prophet?"

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

(missed that. brains a bit muddled as of late.)

Amadeas snickered, "Prophet of Shiba, Mistress of Darkness, Death, and Inferno." He measured out the arms and called out a few numbers, before walking up front to measure the best and torso "As for his weapon, it was like that of my friend Catalina. able to extend from his gauntlet. But made of a weaker metal than my own blade...fortunately." Then he called out more numbers and wrapped the tape around the vulpine's chest.

Then he knelt down, "Foot please." He said softly. Agreal made notes then took his turn to speak. "Rogue Angel Assassin it was. Poor bugger knew Amadeas had defected..but he didn't know about the addition of Vampire to my mates list of traits...or anything about me." The fox leaned casually on the table. His tail arching up as he groomed it by claw. "After that incident we made an example of him and sent word around. We didn't kill him. But he wont be killing anyfur for the next few months while he recovers in Paradiso."

Amadeas looked at his watch a second and nodded, it was then the bell rang again. Agreal hopped forward, skipping out the door to go check. After a moment he came back to the back with a box stuffed with food. "meal's here love." The wolf nodded "Care to join us sir?" he asked politely.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

The name upon which Amadeas called made Syme's eyebrows climb up his forehead, but the expression of his eyes was still mild as ever. "Really? Seems a trifle morbid; can't say I'd follow your call myself." His voice was as conversational as ever, but the tailor might have seen the fox clench and unclench his hand.

As the wolf moved to measure his foot, Syme returned his hands to his pockets, clicking his tongue over the mention of the attempted assassination. "I can't say that I'm in favor of that sort of thing at all; it seems so unsporting. Killing is bad enough as it is, but to be underhanded about it is simply low. One ought to send some kind of challenge, or at least warning."

He looked up politely at the bell, and for the first time seemed really taken aback. "Do normally invite your customers to your table, as a matter of course? Ah, but I forget, I suppose you've a right to be curious about me. Very well, I accept."

As they sat down to dinner, Syme said a little more about himself, and his visit. "You know, I don't recall ever hearing an angel calling upon any deity by name, let alone Shiba. Might have something to do with the general lack of faith you see in Celestia these days; but most angels, I think, have it wrong. They don't call, not because they lack faith; they lack faith because it's considered bad form to prefer one to another. That's the worst part of the compromise, to some of us." He sighed, before looking up at Amadeas. "You know, you're the most prominent Officer to take any kind of public stand against the status quo for some time. I'd like to hear the story behind that extraordinary attitude of yours."

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

As they sat to dinner, the wolf and fox said a swift prayer over their meal, then opened the box. It was a mix of foods, Yamanese, Domus, and Edwinish, with a few packs of blood labeled reindeer. "Normally no, we do not invite our clients to a meal. But seeing as we are kindred we make exceptions from time to time." The fox took a blood pack, being discrete about it and using a straw like it was a Capree Sun juice pouch. The wolf began with a box of Yamanese.

At the mention of his current religious standing, he chuckled. "The gods of paradiso are fickle. My father, when he prayed, did not ray in particular to any one god save St. Tellissia. Our patron mother." the last bit said with obvious disdain. "We rarely asked for anything, but usually it was because we needed help doing what ever task they set us too. Help rarely came, so we ended up asking another local regiment for help." taking his chop sticks, he began lightly on the food. Then he paused from it, "As for my current....allignment, i assume one could call it necessity, but more or less it was my own free choice."

Agreal motioned to his fellow vulpine to take what he liked. It was a large box, with plenty for all three. "As for my denouncing my Arch-Angel position and becoming Shiba's prophet, it was a number of things that ed to it. Over 4000 years ago, there was an uprising. My aunt had taken a demon lord for a mate, and she bore a child. Demi-god status, his parents magics and powers in addition to ample strength. My father was sent to undo their mistake, as it was said in those days. Unfortunately, he couldn't kill the babe. He had SOME morals about him. The babe was taken where it could grow, and grow it did. It returned, converting many angels to it's side and attempting to over throw heaven, hell, and this world for his own rule. We stopped him. My father was forced to kill him that time, and together, he and I cast the demi-god into the abyss."

Agreal noticed the look in the wolf's eyes. Distant, unhappy, fearful. But the wolf continued, "He returned not too long ago. Someone summoned him back to this world. But over time, his mind had changed. In the battle, my father was mortally wounded. Accepting his death he did all he could with his last breath to make it right. I believe the demi-god lives in Gawain now. Under a new name, Klaus. He is my cousin after all, so yes I do keep tabs on him. Many of my own regiment were mates with some of his angels. when the dust of that battle settled, The regiment split. Some of mine going with his to settle peacefully. I believe he works with the UN now, sort of a special ops thing to handle cases of supernatural power in Gawain. Myself, I was infirm throughout the entire incident. The people that summoned him back were stealing angels, and each one they took hurt myself and my father. During my stay in the hospital in Edwin, Shiba came to pay me a visit. Asked me to become her prophet. Promised me free range, and increased power. Power i dont care about....as for freedom, yes i took that chance. And here I am today. My regiment is no longer aligned to paradiso. But that is not to say that the angel's under me dont still worship some of those gods."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Syme himself seemed to have an aversion to the Yamanese food; at any rate, he left the lot of it to Amadeas, partaking himself mainly of the Domusian fare, with a little Edwinian to balance the meal. He listened through the whole story with interest, only occasionally inserting commentary. "An atheist acquaintance of mine said once that one should never believe in a god one could improve upon. Most monotheists I have spoken too believe much the same thing."

As the wolf concluded the story, the golden fox sat back, putting his hands behind his head as he reflected. "It all goes to show," he said in a thoughtful tone, "That the whole business of compromise in a crisis is bankrupt. You see it in mortal affairs, too. Once things really start to get out of control, there are only two types of furs who are any good. The first are the idealists, who stick to their principles come what may, and the acrid realists, who are willing to do whatever it takes to follow through to a certain result. Practical politicians, on the other hand, are generally swept away.

"What I mean is this." He sat forward again, speaking slowly as a man does when he is afraid of being misunderstood. "I don't wish to insult the memory of your father in any way, but the fact remains, that there were two things he could have done that would have avoided much misery in the future. First was to stick to moral principles. If not of mercy, at least to the point of settling it by a duel of honor. There's no real moral case for the second option, completing the massacre, but the only possible reason to do it in the first place is out of fear; the wolf cubs grow up into wolves. But you can't combine morality and massacre. That sort of compromise- well, you don't need me to tell you where it leads."

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Amadeas chuckled softly, "4000 years ago, the standards were different. He was still a soldier that believed in orders and the good intentions of his superiors. Over time, he came to realize he was nothing more than expendable pawn, with others waiting to replace him. I saw that, the day we killed my cousin the first time. I threw my first sword into the abyss with him. I actually miss that blade. It was custom made, I have you know." Agreal snickered, "Show him the new one." The wolf held up his right paw, the fur parting at his wrist as the blade slowly slid out. as it popped free he gripped the hilt, flipped it over and grabbed the tip and held the grip to the gold fox. "Standard issue to most warrior class in the arctic, but with a couple minor modifications to the grip. Claw slits, wider cross guard, thicker handle. Light enough to wield single pawed, but heavy enough a good blow cleaves armor."

The fox chuckled, "still no replacement for a good gun. especially the ones Catalina makes. Durn if they aren't perfect." The wolf snickered, "yea but she custom makes those and they are Magi-tech. You show me a mortal that can make a solid gold bullet with diamond tip and enchanted to to kill the demon without hurting the host too much." The fox laughed and finished off his blood pack, before moving onto a bit of Edwinish food. The fox motioned to the wolf as he spoke to the vulpine, "you have no idea the things he is capable of when he's angry." "Agreal, please not over dinner." "Just saying love you turn into a walking nuke when you get your heckles up."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Oddly enough, Syme was unresponsive to the humor of the pair, only shaking his head slowly as he swallowed. "You're not going to be much use as a revolutionary, you know, with that sort of talk about 'changing standards.' Practically speaking, one has to appeal to the eternal truths. If we can't say that a person ought to have known better 4,000 years ago, we have practically no right to say we know better now."

The vulpine realize that he was beginning to clash with the overall tone of the conversation, so he shrugged apologetically, with a sheepish smile. "I suppose I am being a trifle serious, but that is why I wanted to see you. I've always believed that something had to be done, but I never had any sort of power to do it. You may very well be our best hope for a more just and rational way of living, and I'm just worried, is all. Of your fighting ability, I have no qualms." He offered the last sentence with a conciliatory gesture as he finished eating.

"Come to that, though, what exactly are you planning to do next?"