Lest you entertain angels unawares...

This is where all of the Age of Information role-plays are archived.
Catalina Tamiko
King
King
Species: Feline-Tiger/Panther

Re: Lest you entertain angels unawares...

Post by Catalina Tamiko »

Amadeas stood and downed the last of his coffee. "Cab. We're close enough it will only be a couple hour ride to the place. Besides, I don't think any of us are up for a teleport after the last one. See you at the front in five minutes. Need to get something from my room." Walking back up to his room, he took a moment to gather a few things and come back down. Right out front was a cab, idling and waiting on them.

~~~

Catalina took their paws, and then closed her eyes. It took a moment for things to shrink away and then come back into place. The group stood on the main road in. Catalina's eyes opened, and she blinked softly. They didn't glow, but they still held that penetrating look. Her nose twitched softly, as she looked around. "He's here....." She slowly walked forward, turning lightly each time she found the scent growing stronger. Finally spotting him, she paused long enough to let her full succubus features slip out. Agreal moved to be behind Vaughan quietly. Keeping his head down but looking through his bangs as he watched.

Catalina came forward slowly, and spoke, "I think....you owe us a bit of an explanation...." she said softly. Her eyes lit up brightly as she stood there. Her face calm, but her paws already curled lightly. She was defensive at least.
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

My Cast of critters. (INCOMPLETE) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6514
Sponsor

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Post by Rackenhammer »

Conrad shrugged, and extended a hand to his wife. "Well, shall we?"

Zephyre took it with a small smile. "I think I'm ready to face the world now, love. Let's not keep the cab waiting." The pair of them walked out and took a seat in the waiting vehicle, Amadeas coming down after them. The driver was given the address, and they were soon off.

The house they were headed to was owned by Mia, though she didn't actually list it as her residence. She used it more as a place for various refugees brought back from war zones, or else members of her PMC in temporary need of housing. Klaus had been living here since he arrived, and she had been over often to make sure he was settling in, as she seemed to be one of the few mortals he was comfortable talking to outside the UN.

Even when she was over, though, she wouldn't have answered the doorbell when Conrad rung it upon arrival.

~***~

Syme was laid out on his back, dressed simply for once in a white t-shirt and jeans. From the looks of him, he was just finishing drying off after an early-morning swim. He didn't look at all concerned as the trio crossed through the bushes to confront him, only propping himself up on his elbow to get a better look at them.

"Well, I suppose this isn't a bad place for that. Suiyobi-san, the proprietor, is a Kitsune, and keeps this place private for the likes of us." The golden fox pointed out an older-looking Akita dog as he spoke.
Vaughan looked slightly puzzled. "Kitsune? But he's not a fox..."

Syme grinned. "Exactly. You always think that a kitsune always appears as a fox fur, yet illusion is one of their primary abilities. The key to most mysteries is one fact, and the rest is artistic dressing." His face settled down into a more mild look, as he addressed Catalina. "On that note, what did you want explained?"
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length
Catalina Tamiko
King
King

In fact, no answer came to the ringing of the bell Amadeas lowered his sunglasses and reached up to knock. He didn't put much force behind it, just enough to get some attention. When the door opened, it wasn't Klaus either. Amadeas was shocked to spot someone he personally knew. "Kimin?" The husky nodded, stepping back to open the door more. He was one of the half breeds Amadeas had tried to help in the Arctic. Now the wolf was sorely upset at seeing him. "What happened?" The husky looked down at his prosthetic leg and arm. "Um....would you believe I wrecked my bike?" the wolf sighed and nodded, "I understand. Is Klaus home?" The husky nodded and let them in. "Back deck. Doing daily exercises." Amadeas thanked the husky and walked to the back door. Opening it, he saw a rather bemusing sight.

The black wolf, doing curl ups while hanging from the large metal bar that ran from the side of the house to a basketball goal. "197.....198.....199.....200.......and what do you want?" He wasn't even looking at them. "To chat Cousin....." The wolf stopped in mid curl. leaning back down and looking at the three. "My god you are half vampire.....where's your mate?" "Elsewhere....." "And these two?.....wait..." he flipped off the bar and landed, turning to look at them, "I know you two. the mines.... You were in the mines while I was talking to Vlad." He looked at the rest, before reaching for his water bottle. After a drink, he contacted Mia privately to let her know Amadeas had arrived. "So talk about what?"

"A few things. Tellissa for one.....Dr. Carl for the other. Maybe a bit about someone calling himself Syme or Chester."

~~~~

Catalina was silent at first, then knelt down next to him, and spoke, "What and who you are exactly......" There was no malice in her voice, but she was was not in a playful mood. Her tail moved up, curling forward slowly, "I have little patience left these days......" she whispered. She was not without her own tricks, but she dared not use them unless he was really going to be stupid. If he ran she could follow him for certain now. She had both his scent, and this close she was watching his aura react to her own.

Agreal remained silent, just listening. Though his eyes turned toward the kitsune akita, and slowly he licked his lips. though he didnt move toward him nor did he act aggressively. The fox was past that point. At the moment he was more worried about keeping away from combat. Which is why he figured Amadeas sent him with Cat and Vaughan. Cat's usual method was subterfuge, and guile. Vaughan's was methodical and precise. Both less than violent means to obtain information and cooperation. Amadeas' usual method was to interrogate, and then provoke. Agreal flinched softly, thinking of his mate provoking the black wolf. demi-god, or just really pissed off. it didnt matter. Agreal was worried, and when he got worried he ate.
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Conrad gave a low whistle when he saw the prosthetics. "That must have been some accident... but how did you end up in Gawain?" Maybe it had to do with medical care not being quite as good in the Arctic, but seeing an acquaintance of Amadeas in this very house... no, that could not be a coincidence.

Zephyre, meanwhile, was paying more attention to Klaus. She didn't recall having much of a good look at him back in the mines; he seemed pretty intimidating now, though he was ostensibly less aggressive. A mixed aura, but stronger in shadow. "We haven't met formally, but I'll just say it. I'm Zephyre, and that's my mate Conrad." She gestured towards the Dhampyre, who gave a little wave before taking a seat by them.

"You've probably guessed by now that this isn't exactly a social visit." The hybrid said after the angel had spoken his part. "Airfare isn't exactly something we can afford for pleasure at the moment, delightful as your company is." Conrad had an air of disarming sociability about him, which if it was one shade less natural to his character, would have marked him out as 'good cop.' As it was, he didn't really come off as an interrogator. "Fact is, we're both perplexed and troubled, and we were kind of hoping you could help us out of our predicament."

Mia, meanwhile, was on her way. She would be able to say quite a bit more about Dr. Carl...

~***~

Syme looked back out over the river, as if he was expecting something to surface. When nothing did, he said, "I am... the unregarded fact I was talking to you about earlier. Or, to be slightly more specific, I am the unthought-out deduction."

Vaughan, who recognized this discursive way of speaking from his student days, placed a restraining paw on Catalina's shoulder. *He'll take a while to answer your questions, but he's the sort that feels everything has to be explained beforehand. Be patient and he'll tell us what we want to know.* Aloud, he asked, "Do you mind walking us through the first premises?"

The golden fox shrugged, revealing his hidden features with a slight shake of the head. The stubs of horns and practically-plucked wings might have made Catalina wince, since she would know what sort of injuries would be needed to make those damages permanent. "It's quite simple, really. You know Fallen Angels? I'm a Risen Demon, so to speak. As for who I am..." He looked back out over the river again. "That is a long story, I think, which you may not have time for. But if you doubt, I am the same person you called 'Chester.' If you want proof of that-" He sat up, looking back at Vaughan. "In your senior year, you were $15,000 in debt, with $3,000 in the bank. Our mutual friend Conrad tried to fix a bet on an eating contest by bringing in Nicely-nicely Jones as a dark horse, only he'd recently gotten a health-nut girlfriend, and so you had to back a last-minute substitute, who managed to win the contest and force the second-placer to collapse from over-eating, right as Jones fell from malnourishment. You were the one that had to explain everything to the perplexed paramedics."

Vaughan snorted with laughter at the memory. "All right, you pass. Do you mind telling us what you're doing here?"

"Not at all." The fox reclined again, remarking, "There aren't many actively magical places on Feila anymore, at least any that give enough thaumic white noise to fool remote sensors. The few that are left center around the old locations of the great Magical Universities. One of them is in Gawain, and the other was very close to this spot. If one wanted to hide the body of a goddess, I can't think of any better place."

Vaughan followed Syme's gaze, and his train of thought was quick to follow. "You've got a diver out there?"
Syme nodded. "Famine. This is his grandfather's place." He looked up at Catalina. "While we're waiting for him, I suppose you have a few more specific questions?"

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Klaus snorted softly and smiled at Conrad. "My My. Well come on over here. Let's sit in the shade of the porch." He walked with them to the porch, and sat back on one of the lawn chairs. "So...what you need me to explain?" Amadeas sat and lit himself a smoke. "first...Tellissa." The wolf nodded, "Well, she popped up a while ago. A few weeks or more. I can't remember exactly. I was at work, and she was doing the divine thing where only I can see her. Construction is not a job you wanna be distracted on." Amadeas nodded, "Well she was begging forgiveness for what happened. Rightly I should have punched her in the jaw and snapped her head of. But I ain't got time for fools no more. Besides I was in a hurry to lay the drywall so I could take my lunch break and run out to meet Mia for something to eat. So yea, I forgave her. She looked so relieved too.....Never knew a goddess with a guilty conscience before."

Taking a moment to sip his water, he looked at the others. "You're wondering why I work construction and help Mia tend to looking after the others? Simple. These are my people. Kimin back there, yea he was a friend of yours. Friend of mine too in those old days. But now, well he just wanted a quiet life. Just like the rest of us half breeds. He had a job as a messenger on a motor bike. Poor bugger never saw it coming. Big trucks can't stop on a dime and he was scared out of his wits. Forgot to fly. Ripped his wings off his back, took his left arm and leg, half his tail, and jarred his head a good one. He'll be alright though. Got himself a desk job in customer service. Works from his room."

Amadeas was watching Klaus' face. the black wolf took some pride in his job, and taking care of others. HIs expression was deadpan about Tellissa. There was still anger there.

~~~~

Catalina was looking over the injuries, and blatantly blurted out, "You betrayed Shiba's deepest trust and she cursed you for it....You were lucky to get away with what you have left......" She stood up and moved to the edge of the water, walking out over it slowly and looking down. Agreal closed his eyes, "If you were looking for a place to hide a body, there are a few places you can put it without it being so easy to find as the bottom of a lake....." The fox looked up finally, his eyes swirling softly as he turned them on Vaughan, "You think extra dimensional pockets? seals the body away, no decomp where others can find it, and you can keep it with you."

Catalina came back, and stood over the male again. "Who is at the top of your list of suspects?"

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Conrad knew all about halfbreeds wanting a quiet life, and nodded sympathetically. Though, if he was being perfectly honest with himself, he had a divided heart in the matter. Maybe it was his predominately mortal part, but something in him could still respond to the call for adventure, still reveled in stirring things up and making them interesting. He wondered if Klaus was the same way; perhaps one really did get more boring as one got older.

That, however, was only tangentially relevant to the task at hand. "I understand why there would still be anger there, but death, as they say, wipes away all debts." It revealed their hand somewhat to imply that Tellisa was dead, but it was important to see just how much that revelation would shake the black wolf. "It would help us somewhat if you could give us an exact time and date when you last saw her alive."

~***~

Syme actually laughed at Catalina's outburst. "Perhaps I should take a little time to tell you the whole story after all; you seem to have quite a few things backwards." He reached a paw up absently to touch one of his headwing stubs. "To begin with, these are self-inflicted wounds... and again, I was not Shiba's previous prophet." He looked back over the river again, but his eyes were on something a thousand miles away. "I was his son."

Something in his voice perked Vaughan's ears, and he looked back down at his old friend. The golden fox wasn't disguised anymore, he wasn't even posing. No attempt to disguise his nature or personality was present, and the first thing that struck the wolf was how young he suddenly looked. "How... old would that make you?"

"I don't know that it makes me any particular age. If you want to know, I was 497 last birthday."

It was a measure of how much Vaughan had gotten used to to company that Catalina kept that his firs thought was, *My god, that's half Ishimi's age. What equivalent is that, 14?* He sent the message mentally to the tigress as Syme began to talk to Agreal.

"Yes, object-bound dimensional pockets. The sealing ritual is small enough to be undetected in the noise, but because of resonance, they couldn't make the kill and seal the body in the same place unseen. I don't know in which location was done which deed, but I had a hunch about this. Really, even safer than keeping the body with you is to toss to object, say, a coin, into a river than runs to the sea. Even if you're caught on suspicion, no amount of searching or interrogating will reveal the location of the body, since the perp doesn't even know it himself. However, the proprietor has had this part of the river netted for centuries now, and as Azalus was upstream, anything thrown in there might be caught down here." He lay back and shrugged. "So my theory goes, anyway; it does rely on many assumptions, but until I find some material clue, I can't meaningfully narrow down the suspect list, either for the assassin, or the mastermind behind the kill."

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Klaus shot Conrad a look that said watch his tongue. But slowly it softened and he spoke, almost with respect, "She's dead....isn't she?" His gaze was steady, calm, and slightly saddened. Amadeas nodded, "As far as we can tell yes. Unless she faked her own death, which is highly unlikely. She was honest to a fault, and cared far more about mortal affairs than the other gods. She wanted to bring peace to them all, at least from our kind."" Klaus turned his gaze to the concrete of the patio. As if contemplating what it would take to actually kill a goddess. even one as weak as she had been. He could tell. She was damn close to fainting. Though if she felt her time was close, she may have sought someone to do the deed and cover it up gently. But without an heir to her position....."Have you considered ritual passage of rights?"

Amadeas paused, and shook his head, "No. I hadn't. But if she was intending to pass on her role to another, I think at least the Shrine guardians would know. The ones here in Gawain were killed....in a rather nasty manner. Brutal, but with purpose." The black wolf turned his red eyes on them, then looked to the door. "Not in front of Mia....she'll be here soon. I don't want her worried about another war. As for Dr. Carl....she will have to answer your questions. I only met him one time and he wanted to stick a needle in my butt."

~~~

"Closer to 12, but about the right age I guess. Though that does explain something......" She knelt down and looked him right in the face. "You aren't from Tamiko realm. That still leaves five counties you could have been born in, plus this world in secret." But she left it at that and turned her face to the waters. "Shall I assist? Water is my element. I can move it aside, or bring what lies on the bottom to the surface."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Zephyre, being a cleric, had to raise her brows at the mention of Divine Succession. "Most of the time, the powers of a dead divinity devolve upon their killer, like with Uranus and Kronos, or Kronos and Zeus for that matter. So far, though, there don't seem to be many ambitious to succeed or usurp her."

Conrad shrugged. "There wasn't much to inherit left, from all we could tell, so that motive's out for the most part. Now-" The Dhampyre was cut off by Klaus' announcement of Mia's immanent arrival.

The commander was still dressed in her fatigues, which made a kind of mockery of the black wolf's concern to keep her out of war. The wolf/ferret cross strode into the room, not breaking rhythm. "So, Klaus, who are these visitors?" She gave them a look over, pausing at Amadeas. "Old Friends from the Arctic, or... old enemies?"

"The former by preference." Conrad interjected. "We were asking after a fur connected to old events, or not so old all things considered. A certain Dr. Carl, Klaus said you know him?"

"Heh, ja, I knew him. Grew up in my old neighborhood, back in the Communist days." Mia took a seat by Klaus, relaxing out of her military posture. "He managed to snag a scholarship for med school after reunification; rather lost track of him after that until he put me in contact for that contract, and, well, I can see you know the rest." She narrowed her eyes as she rested the back of her head on crossed arms, slowly gathering tension. "Why do you ask?"

~***~

It was still a little jarring for Vaughan to look down at someone who had acted as his mentor at one time, and think him technically less mature than himself. It hardly registered, and made him quite interested in knowing the rest of the story.
Catalina didn't seem one to push it at the moment, and Syme looked a little grateful at that. "Perhaps a little later, I shall tell you. For now, fisherman's luck." He gestured out towards the river. "I'd take you up on your offer, but I don't want to ruin the old innkeeper's 'fishing nets', as it were. It was hard enough to get permission to dive here."

Almost on cue, a fur suited up in scuba gear came to the surface. It was Famine, though he had an underwater speaker attached to the side of his mask for some reason, possibly connected to bardic magic. In one paw he held what looked like a jade chess piece, while he took off the breather with the other. "I think I found it, it has the right signature-" He stopped as he saw that they had company, but Syme waved him on.
"They're with me, and can come with us when we de-compress it." The golden fox got to his feet. "We'll need a secluded, out of the way space to do it; I'm not exactly sure how big the dimension was supposed to be."

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Amadeas nodded at Mia with respect. Then at her question he leaned in, "He's an associate of mine. and I like to know who I am working with. What was his job down in those mines? Most of my angels won't talk about what happened and I am loath to push them for information. They are just now settling back down and life is continuing better for them. The good Doctor and I have a difference of opinion on certain matters. And where he is concerned I want to know how he feels towards immortals and half-breeds. Klaus was kind enough to tell us what he knew of him. I would like to ask you a few more in depth questions if you will answer them please." Now that was odd. It even got Klaus to arch an eyebrow. Amadeas had never normally been one to say please. No powers or threats.....an actual, honest please.

The black wolf glanced at Mia, wondering what she would do. Since she had let him stay here and help with the others, he was grateful and loath to get in her way in any matter. But he also wanted to protect her. This was something he knew might just get her drug into another one of those nasty other world conflicts. He wasn't so much worried for her safety, as he was worried what she would be called to do.

Shaking that off he answered Conrad privately in his head. "Just because her following was diminished was not to say there was nothing to inherit. If I recall, she still had two full regiments of troops in the arctic, and one in each Yamaha, Gawain and Edwin. Add to that the Order of Paladin Knights, and her own powers. There was still plenty there to kill for. Mortal or Immortal, the killer stood to gain a small army and the ability to bless any warrior they saw fit. Even the demonic. Would be an increase in any war effort no?" Unfortunately, Klaus had a very bad poker face. Anyone that looked at him would have seen he was concentrating on something and his eyes kept darting to Conrad.

~~~

Catalina stood and then snickered, "Still so young..... Why decompress it when we can just peek inside and see? Doesn't disrupt the dimension, we dont have to go out of the way really. Just a private room where we can have a look see." Agreal eyed the thing, and slowly lowered his gaze again. He silently wondered if gods bled when you killed them. New moon this week and he had already been treated to one bloodbath to trip his senses. another would probably flip him out.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

"So... the good doctor is a colleague of yours, now?" Mia gave a little knowing laugh as she shook her head. "Oh, that is interesting, yes, very interesting." The hybrid was a sharp fur, and looking into her eyes, one would see she didn't miss much. It helped a lot in investigations, since she gave off the air of knowing just enough to make the worst impression of events, and so full disclosure was your only hope.

"Well, I can tell you the things he did when I was with him, and what I know of his character, though that may not be the most accurate of assessments." The commander settled back, prepared to answer any long question. "While we were under contract in the Arctic, he worked as the camp doctor, as it were. Most of the Angels were being knocked out by magic, but such was draining them of their essence, hardly healthy. He came up with an alternative concoction with lesser side effects, though it wasn't used as widely as he liked. I ended up using most of it when your father's unit came upon us. As for the rest, he aided who he could, how he could. Ultimately, though, I think he really did support Klaus' claim, and for that would have crossed a few more of his scruples than was ultimately asked of him. He retired from practice early, as I recall, because he felt that he could not in conscience represent himself as an upholder of the Hippocratic Oath."

She sighed, and summed up. "In short, he is an honest fur, and to the extent of his scruples, a good one. But not so good that he couldn't have gone bad without knowing it." Her eyes narrowed as she spoke again. "I think it is therefore important that you tell me just what he is working with you on."

~***~

Syme may have been young, but he shrugged off the little remark as maturely as he could. "True, but we'll have to crack it open eventually, if we want to do anything like a forensic inspection of the body."

Vaughan looked over towards Agreal, whose agitation was beginning to be cause for worry. "I say we look first, and if we find a body, then perhaps Agreal ought to stay back with Suiyobi-san while we open it." It was not likely to be a bloodless scene if a goddess was dead inside there, especially if the murderer followed mythological precedents and eviscerated the body.

The golden fox handed over the coin. "I'll trust you with this; you have more experience in delicate magical operations."

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Amadeas didn't even bat an eyelash. His face was calm and he spoke evenly when asked what they were doing. "I am oneof the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse. I am War. He is Pestilence, which yes, does include diseases. We are also looking into the murder of St. Tellissa, patron goddess of my regiment. I am my father's son, and as such, I have his Arch Angel position now. But having denounced Tellissa, I became the prophet of her sister Shiba, goddess of lust, darkness and death. Tellissa went missing shortly after Speaking to Klaus. And yes you are both Suspect in having something to do with it."

Klaus looked at Amadeas. The look on the wolf's face said he knew Amadeas wasn't lying and sure as hell was not about to take anything less than the truth either. He was playing a game. If Klaus called him on it, Amadeas might just play whatever trump card he had. Add to that, he claimed to be Shiba's Prophet. Which afforded him not only some of her power, but certain abilities. Namely cubi like abilities. Klaus was familiar with Shiba. She was the mother of all Cubi, so to speak. And having met one of their younger members, she wondered just what someone like Amadeas was capable of. "Mia......... He ain't lying. He's been suppressing his power and aura since he hit the door. Now he's gone and let it show.....He ain't laying in the least. And if he's like his daddy, he's playing nice right now......"

~~~

Catalina accepted the coin, and then reached into her robes. Magical pockets were always handy. Pulling out what looked like the cube from Hell-raiser, she took a moment to open the box and drop the coin inside. Closing the lip, she began to twist and turn it like she was playing with a toy. finally she set it on the ground, and it pulsed softly. Then the world around them started to change. "Don't panic. We jsut get to walk around and look inside. We cant actually interact with anything, but seeing it would help." Agreal stepped back several paces. "I'll just wait." She nodded at him, then patted her hip. He put a paw on his and nodded.

As everything settled back into place around them, the group now could see what was inside the coin. Catalina knew that Tellissa was a tough old gal, and even if some nasty hell spawn had come at her, she was pure and holy enough it would have taken damage just touching her. Her armor could break even Cat's own blades and no Tamiko steel could dent Tellissa's chainmail. Common demons were no match. Catalina hada very narrow list of suspects. Angels could get close to her without suspicion. They had the power to get right to her and she wouldn't see the threat until it was too late. Mortals, however, were the exception to the rule when Tellissa was concerned. Like Shiba, Tellissa considered mortals precious. THough Shiba believed that all beings had the right to defend themselves from the others. Which is where Tellissa and SHiba disagreed. Tellissa wouldn't even shield herself from an attack by a mortal, out of fear she might have hurt them.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

One of Mia's eyes, the right one, remained narrowed. The other shot open, making for a very odd and skeptical expression on her face. "So, if I am reading this situation right, my old school friend is now one of the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse, who are trying to solve a murder... of a goddess. And you think we could have done it?" She actually burst out laughing at that part. "I almost wish we had! It would open up our clientele a lot more, to be sure."

Conrad put up his hands in an exaggerated shrug. "Hey, I can't make this stuff up! It's too implausible for fiction, but not random enough for a mad libs."

Mia sobered up a bit after Klaus confirmed Amadeas' words, but she couldn't say much more. "I appreciate you are serious, but I can't help you much. I grew up atheist, and I've never heard of Tellissa before now. If Klaus was the last to see her alive..." She looked over to him, and could see that he was mentally communicating with Conrad. "All right, what are you talking about?"

~***~

Syme nodded appreciatively as he observed what Catalina was doing. "Non-intrusive investigating, very neat. Spares us the trouble of dismantling any booby traps left for the peekers. I had been worried about that."

Vaughan tried to steady himself as the rather uncanny transition came over him, but it was over soon enough. There was little in the way of scenery, and nothing obscured what they were looking for.

It was a nasty sight, but neither of the boys were shaken too much, as both had seen their share of nasty sights. Stretched out before them was the tall figure of a white female wolf in full armor, even a helmet. The faceplate was open, however, and Vaughan could see that she had no head. Or at any rate, not much of one; what was left was smeared on the back of the helmet's bowl. The Dhampyre had to bring out a handkerchief from his pocket to shield himself from the smell as he knelt to take a look.

"It's not hard to see what happened." His muffled voice came as he examined the fatal wound. "This armor wasn't designed against modern tech. Sure, the material would shrug off a bullet, but it's shape wasn't designed to deal with distance weapons. Even with an open faceplate, a good fighter wouldn't let her opponent get close enough to stab her in the face. Heck, even if the opponent as the same height, it would be an awkward angle. But a good sniper..."

The wolf reached into his pocket, and pulled out a small flashlight and a pair of tweezers. He shone the light inside, reaching in with the tweezers to move aside some lumps of flesh, which had actually cooked, before pulling out a fragment of the bullet. "Hm, I thought so. Deumbra alloy; the material holds dark magic more efficiently than even most varieties of crystal. If some glyphs were inscribed to boost the power further, and with suitable enchantments on the gun, it would work on a weakened goddess." He stood again, holding up the fragment for the other two to inspect.
"It narrows down our suspects, too. Not many know about this, and fewer know how to make it. In fact, I can only name two, and they're both my siblings."

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

((LOL! Catalina said they couldn't interact with anything. Sok though. I'll roll with it. :P))

Klaus looked like a kid with his paw in the cookie jar. "He made a comment about Tellissa having nothing left to inherit so there was no motive for a succession murder....I was pointing out otherwise." Honest to a fault. Amadeas smiled, seeing his cousin cowed down by a woman. "Oh? Has she got you under a spell? or has something rather humiliating on you to keep you so cooperative?" Klaus snorted and took a swig of water. Amadeas had pushed a button there. The black wolf's eyes darted to Mia, then to the ground. Oh he was totally wrapped around her finger.

Amadeas had not found Mia's joke funny in the least. He actually barked at her, letting it tapper off into a growl. "Though you do not believe, have enough respect for the departed to hold your laughter in your own head. Two Angels from another regiment have been brutally murdered, the female having chunks bit out of her groin, probably while she was still alive. Her arms and legs were twisted backwards so she could suffer while she died. Her mate had his spine ripped out of his back, starting at the base of the skull and peeling it back and down so that the whole thing was laid out of his body at the pelvis, just barely connected. The Shrine Keepers from my own regiment are holed up in their cave, terrified for their lives because they....." he stopped speaking. His eyes turned North slowly. His paw twitched slightly, as he curled it in a fist slowly. "It seems.....we have more problems...." Klaus was looking but saw nothing, "What's eating you?" "Nothing I can talk about at the moment. Conrad, please remind me to talk to Vaughan when we return. He needs to hear what I have on my mind." Klaus was watching Amadeas. Though they had little in common, one wolf to another, he could read the signs when something had another of his kind agitated. Then Amadeas spoke, "Mia.... I know a couple of the Angels that followed Klaus to Gawain here have come through your paws so to speak. Thank you for treating them well. I may not seem the type, but I care. Conrad, Zephyre. Get back in the taxi. I will meet you back at the hotel this evening. I have something I have to do." Rather than explain further, he drew his blade and cut the air wide open. The void on the other side was just blank. He vanished inside, leaving them on their own.

~~~~

Catalina knelt as well, slowly reaching to Tellissa's body. "She knew it was coming. She knew they were going to kill her. Even at that distance. Look here, Her shield was still on her back, and her sword lashed down. Gauntlets open, and her chain mail was not fully closed. This was no warrior ready for battle. This was a warrior at the end of her life and ready to die. Tellissa was a fighter through and through. What could have made her give up her place and power so easily?" Then Cat's eyes moved to something else, near the chest. She slowly pulled a blood stained envelope from the woman's armor. Slowly she broke the plain wax seal and slid out a simple letter. "When I am gone, Please give tell my sister I forgave her Long ago. Though I could not bring myself to speak the words to her face, I longed to hold her paw in mine and call her my sister again. I prayed that at least once more, before I part this life, to run in the fields of our home as when we were children. And yes, you too, I forgive, though I know not your name and face. You take my life for selfish gains, and yet you know not what you have done. My Angels may grow angry, but if they hold true to my teachings, you will find no revenge coming against you, dear little one. All is forgiven, and I pray that in our next lives, we may meet and be friends. Sincerely, Tellissa Derith Metrillia. St. Tellissa, Goddess of Valor and Honor, Patron of the weak and defenseless, Mother of the Arctic Angels."

The tigress slowly folded the letter and tucked it inside her robe. "Shiba should get this at least." she whispered. her paw was trembling. Something was eating at the tigress now. She turned away and moved to the wall. "There.....There is someone else that would know of such Syme..... Two others that would know. You forget I was a Blacksmith.....and there was a point where my own siblings knew everything that I knew. A weapon like that does not come from a single being. That kind of enchantment. Each part has to be calibrated just so. That takes a lot of machinery, a lot of time, and so much magical energy one of us would have felt it long before now.....unless we already knew and just didn't notice because it was being done right under our own noses." Turning back, "We need to speak with everyone that knew anything about magical metals. And we need to find the original crime scene. This isn't it. She may be here now. But she was shot elsewhere. And something like that would have scattered her freaking head all over the place. Even if SHE was hidden from sight, that would not be!" She pointed at the helmet, the last words fairly screamed at them and echoing slightly.

Agreal walked in suddenly. "Cat...." his eyes fell on the body. Much to his surprise it didn't affect him as much as he would have thought. "Tellissa..." he whispered, before bowing his head in some form of respect. His eyes came back to Catalina. "Cat.....people in the next town heard that yell. What happened?" The tigress was shaken as she stepped back, "I'm sorry....I...uh.....I need some air." She walked away, the same way Agreal had walked in. As he came close, he sighed. "Large caliber, .50-.75 caliber with a solid slug, probably tipped with am armor penetrating head, diamond or Carbonium. Slug was solid through and through, but that armor of hers....no exit out the back of the helmet, so it shattered on impact. Her armor is probably a higher grade metal than the bullet was. Maybe some kind of Paradisian alloy I haven't come across. Would need a lab to know for certain, but I could run ballistics and match up the bullet to a gun if there is enough of it left. I can also autopsy the body if you want. Isn't that hard and I have my manuals back in the shop. Looking at the splatter, it looks like the shot came from the right, or she turned her head just in time to catch the bullet with the left side of her face. The it was a high shot, the top of the spine is still connected to the bottom of the skull. Splattered her head wide open. Poor old girl never saw it coming. Weapon like that has a 1 mile effective radius or better. Might have been magnum as well."

He reached for her chest plate, and slowly gripped it. He was tense, as if expecting the thing to blast him off the face of the world. Instead it slide right off in his paws. It wasn't even latched on properly. Under it, and the chain mail, there was only a simple, white robe. Now stained red with her blood. The armor was not enchanted, nor was it cursed. "I would have thought Tellissa had enchanted armor to keep Shiba's minions at bay...."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Mia at least had the decency to conceal her laughter at Klaus' expense. She'd never really thought of herself as one to use any kind of feminine control; being a PMC commander, she was used to a hierarchical chain-of-command kind of superiority. Still, she couldn't help but be fond of the wolf; he displayed most of the virtues she admired, especially in his loyalties maintained over millennia.

Zephyre could see it, and was much better at keeping a straight face as she telepathically messaged Conrad. *So... June, I should say. Think we'll get an invitation?*

*Eh, I limit myself to one a year. Last year was ours, and this year will be my best friend's.* Outwardly, however, Conrad was flinching from Amadeas' sudden snap at the commander, though she herself was unfazed. No one interrupted, either, as the white wolf seemed distracted by something.

Zephyre clicked her tongue, shrugging at the group as Amadeas departed. "Not really sure what to say to that. Don't ask us what that was about. Anyway, it was good to meet you."

"Likewise interesting." Mia rose to shake her hand, nodding to Conrad as well. "I suspect we may be seeing more of each other in the future, especially if Zed throws a few contracts your way, too." Klaus might have looked surprised at her sudden name-drop of his point of contact in the UN. "Oh, don't worry, I've known him for a while. Perhaps someday I shall tell you how. For now, will you show our guests out?"

~***~

Vaughan looked somber as Catalina read out the letter. "It seems our murderer didn't bother to stick around to find out that she had forgiven, at any rate. I wonder if they care?" He shook his head, trying to return to more practical considerations. "I should say it was team of two, at any rate. One to talk to her while her guard was down, probably a mortal considering her attitude towards them, and a second sniper. Not a snap job; she knew it was coming." He closed his eyes, trying to picture the scene.

Syme, meanwhile, was standing in a pose of thought, still looking over the wound. "I suspected it was a conspiracy; if the manufacture was spread out in time and space enough, it wouldn't have attracted much notice..." He grew silent, still thinking as Agreal entered.

Vaughan nodded as Agreal went over the tech specs of the probably weapon. "I know the metal; I can get you the details of manufacture. I'll still maintain, and this isn't exactly easy for me, that someone in my own clan was involved. Deumbra alloy wouldn't be known to most smiths; it's soft like lead, not useful for non-ballistic weapons. I don't know why we're dancing around the issue, to be honest; my number one suspect is my sister." There, he said it. Even after everything she had done to him, it still hurt for him to say it. *The last vestige of loyalty. I wonder... if I were near my time, would I have been so willing to reconcile?*

Syme, meanwhile, had knelt to examine the unenchanted armor. "Well, she was aiming for a final reconciliation, and death, so it's not unexpected for her to deactivate the enchantments. Or perhaps they faded upon death." He stood up. "Well, if this is where they hid her body, I think I can guess where she was killed, at least within a 10 mile radius or so. Probably want to join up with our Gawain team, then."

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Klaus nodded and stood. His tail tucked at having been caught....again. Letting the pair follow him to the front door, he paused long enough to poke his head down the hall. "Kimin, you doing alright?" There was a gruff woof and Klaus nodded, "Alright." Coming to the front door, the black wolf paused, turning his red eyes on the pair for a moment. "You two be careful. Amadeas is a hard one to cross. Worse than his father. He is deeply loyal to those he calls family. And when betrayed, he repays it twenty fold. If Ishimi had the power to put me on the run, he has the power to reshape this continent. So whatever you are looking into..... is going to turn into a bloodbath in the end. It always does with ones like me and Amadeas involved. You stay safe.....alright?"

~~~~

Agreal nodded softly. "Cat can tell us more about the armor and weapons than we ever could know. And Her siblings may have some say in this as well. If there is anything Vanessa has done, they may know, or has been ordered to play part in it. Catalina is the only one Vanessa doesn't have some form of power over. Mostly because she keeps herself detached from Inferno. But her siblings.....would and may have access to making this. And there is the possibility her Uncle had a paw in it. He had a personal grudge with Tellissa. Her Order of Paladins forcibly removed him from a position of power a long time ago. And that left a mark on him. They have stood between he and reestablishing his empire. With Tellissa out of the way, he stands to gain a fair bit. And he would certainly align himself to Vanessa if he thought he was getting a good deal out of it."

The fox then looked at the wolfess' robes. He reached down, and gently put a finger on the blood stain. Lifting the finger back up, he looked at it. Still wet...... "Vaughan....go tell Catalina I need a vial....or something of the like. A container of some kind. She keeps a bunch of stuff in her pockets."