Lest you entertain angels unawares...

This is where all of the Age of Information role-plays are archived.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Re: Lest you entertain angels unawares...

Post by Rackenhammer »

Syme and Vaughan nodded as Shiba looked up. Neither had doubted, really. The culling had come, and only the gods of the faithful, which were, in fact, those who were themselves faithful to their followers would survive. That they could trust in, and that they had to trust in now.

*Alright then, I've come to the end of what I can do; all I can do now is leave it in your paws. Just please, let me see me wife again.* Vaughan's prayer was earnest, and short. What Syme was praying now, he couldn't tell, and Lee and Carl were almost completely inscrutable. The golden fox was at least obviously praying, and he seemed to get a message back. "The door to the realm is open. We should go; I sense that we shall be needed to convince Vanessa to stand down. After all," He gave a kind of half-smile to Tellissa, "I haven't completed my arrests for your murder yet."

~***~

The wolfess emerged from cover, bearing a look that was slightly exasperated, but mostly pleased and grateful. "Well done, dear. Sometimes, I do forget just how good you are at this." A grin grew like a bright, poisonous fungus upon her face as she approached the prone tigress, prodding Catalina with her foot. "I don't know what you thought to accomplish. You can't stop me now, not even if you killed me. Tellissa is dead, and war is raging, but those who think that they shall gain all are... mistaken. There will be no prize, and no victors, no one to reign over what remains." She began to chuckle, kneeling to face her. "I am not a tyrant, you know. I don't seek for power, but an end to all power. I am an anarchist, like your Barius, only I am better at it than he."

Vanessa looked back up at her panthress. "So, what did she promise to give? There are... one or two things I had planned for her-"

Meanwhile, Conrad and Zephyre were waiting in the study while Vivian chanted the binding spell. The Vampiress had a set and determined look, as it was finally time to confront the killer of her children. Conrad was considerable more nervous, as it was entirely likely that they were not up to dealing with two battle-ready cubi. *Still, the only way of having a last-minute change of fortune is to push your fight to the last minute.*

It was soon done, and they both appeared in the study, apparently in the middle of something. Vanessa had cut off the middle of her sentence, and slowly got to her feet, not yet facing the trio that had called her. "Vivian, I do hope, for your sake, that whatever you did this for is worth what I am going to do to you."

A blast of Shadow magic went towards the wolfess, and the blocked it with the back of her gauntlets. "Tsk, tsk, you two? I really don't know why you even bothered to come. Catalina and company, they might be said to be in my league, though at the bottom of it. But you?" She smiled as she turned around, like a teacher towards a student that had bitten off more than he could chew in his term paper.

This only served to further incense Zephyre, and she sent a particularly nasty body warping spell Vanessa's way. "This is for my children, though I suppose you wouldn't even remember."

Again, there was little evidence of trouble as her opponent undid her spellwork. "Hm? Oh, yes, I do actually. you know, I didn't shoot them. In fact-" The crystal snake was quick to lash out at her. Conrad barely moved fast enough to get in front of his mate, which only resulted in them both getting entangled in it's coils. "He was aiming for you, and I think, in the end, we all would have preferred that outcome. He paid for his ill-aim, you'll be glad to hear." And she licked her lips. "Finally, though, I think it is time we rectified-"

She stopped short in her speech at the sudden smirk on the kitty-fox's face, just an instant before the void portal opened beneath her feat, plunging her into a pit of entangling shadows, forcing the snake to let them go. "It is long past time for your reckoning!" The vampiress was surging with energy, the three tails twitching and sparking.
Conrad, meanwhile, had loaded and launched Morrissey's special slugs at Devina. The least he could do is keep the panthress too distracted to aid Vanessa.
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length
Sponsor

Catalina Tamiko
King
King
Species: Feline-Tiger/Panther

Post by Catalina Tamiko »

Tellissa shook her head with a smile. She sighed and moved to the wall. "Alright. We will go. If we can stabilize Tamiko Realm, the rest should stabilize itself. Provided the wolfess hasn't blown the place to bits yet." As she was about to clap her paws together, Amadeas sat up. Heclutched at his chest and gasped, as if breathing for the first time in an hour. She came to him, kneeling. "Shhhh..Shhhh It's alright. You are safe my child." He looked at her, disbelief on his face. This his eyes drifted over her figure. He blushed a bit and looked away. She smiled and hugged him gently. After a moment she helped him to his feet. He looked at himself. "but....." She smiled, "No matter how far away I am, I can hear my only son calling me."

He looked at her face. There was so much he wanted to ask, to say. But he nodded, and motioned to the side room, "Guest bedroom. Closet. Get some clothing. Agreal keeps his extra outfits there. You should find something to wear." Nodding, she moved to the door and closed it. less than three seconds later she opened it, walking out in a black corset top, a tight skirt that was low enough to show the hem of red panties, thigh high black and white stockings, with matching fingerless gloves, and buckle boots that went up to her knees.

Looking herself over, she giggled, "Well now....this is interesting." clapping her paws she spread them and brought forth her own sword. Sheathing it to her back, she smiled, "Much better. Now then, into the belly of hell." she clapped her paws again, and pushed them against the wall. it instantly ripped open. The wall now looked like rippling water. Catalina was picking herself off the ground, yelling at someone that was running away toward a 7ft tall silver spire just sticking up out of the ground a short distance away. Once they entered it, a sound all too familiar to Tellissa came through the portal as she stepped inside, keeping her paw in it to hold it open for Vaughan and the others.

Catalina stood and turned to look as the spire just faded from existence. She saw the others, and ran to them. her armor was missing. leaving only the tank top and shorts she had worn under them. Coming to Vaughan as he crossed through, she snatched him up in a hug, "thank FATE you came. Conrad and Zephyre are up in the tower facing Devina and Vanessa alone. And I'm almost out of magic." Tellisa grinned, "Devina never claimed victory, and you never surrendered darling. The contest is still on. You can still contend for the throne." "But I have no more power left." "you have no more DEMON power left. Try looking in the other half dear."

Catalina was confused, but at least with all of them there, they could contend with vanessa. Tellissa let the portal close once everyone that was coming stepped through. "I'll tend to sealing the rifts. You tend to Vanessa. Keep her off my back. I am at my weakest here...." Amdeas patted his body, and realized he had no weapons. Cat was unarmed as well. Tellissa just laughed and tapped the side of her head. Then she shot off into the distance on a pair of wings that seemed to be made of light.

~~~~

Vivinan continued to chant, moving herself behind the huge desk and using it like a shield. She was trying to cast two spells at once, though more concentration went into her chanting. She erected a thin barrier around herself. Conrad's bullets took Devina by surprise, putting her on the defensive. Snarling at him, she put up her best shield. Though it couldn't stop the bullets, it could bounce them toward the walls and floor away from her and Vanessa. unfortunately Conrad had better aim than she thought. He was keeping her backed away from Vanessa. Keeping up one paw to hold up her shield, she did the only thing she could think of. She started drawing in energy to the other paw. Forming a ball of energy the size of a basketball and making itself more and more dense.

Then she stopped, a sudden warmth filled the realm. A sensation that could only come from a being of light. an Angel, a PURE angel. "VANESSA! AMADEAS!" she yelled over the gunfire. "HE'S HERE AND HE'S NOT A VAMPIRE ANYMORE!"
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

My Cast of critters. (INCOMPLETE) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6514
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

They all readied themselves to go. Vaughan had to raise an eyebrow as Tellissa emerged in the dress she selected, and he looked over to Amadeas. "Why do you have..." The wolf seemed to think better of the question halfway through. "You know what? Never mind."

It wasn't worth bothering about, so close, as she had said, to the belly of hell itself. As soon as the portal opened, Vaughan and the horsemen piled through. He braced himself to receive and return Catalina's hug, kissing her softly as they held each other. "Yes, I'm alright. We've got Tellissa back, by the way, which is to thank mostly."

Syme nodded to the goddess, giving her a salute with his stick. "Alright then, let's be off. Time the end times were ended." The golden fox took point, his excited pace not exactly matchable by his 'seniors,' as it were. Even Lee had trouble, with the keytaur still weighing him down.

~

Vanessa's face was contorted into a fierce snarl as she struggled to get free of the void portal. While the newly-minted cubi had, technically, more power that Zephyre, the fierce anger of a mourning mother, enhanced with the lust for revenge, made for potent dark magic multipliers. Add to that, her main source of power was currently distracted, and her own person bound by Vivian, her recovery was delayed somewhat.

Still, mere attrition would have let her win out, when Devina announced Amadeas' coming. "Impossible! He could not have gotten free of Shiba unless...." For the first time, the wolfess allowed a slight expression of worry cross her face. Death could not stop her plans, but Life could.

Conrad, meanwhile, was fast running out of bullets. "Better finish this quickly, love!"
"Trying my best!" Indeed, the Vampiress was overclocking it by now, and Vanessa knew it. If she could just prevent herself from being sucked in long enough-

"Vanessa Montblanc-Tamiko, you are under arrest for conspiracy to commit deicide, war crimes in violation of the Infernal-Paradisian peace accords, and-"

"No need to list them all, copper!" Conrad called out to the newly arrived reinforcements. "Just get in here!"

Syme and Vaughan came through the door first, the latter supplementing his friend's final bullets with blasts of holy light from his own staff. Vanessa's expression was at first startled, then angry, and then, strangely, pleased. "Huh, of course, it would be you. High time I finished this; good thing I ate before you came." Drawing up the energies of the soul she had earlier harvested, she banished the portal she was trapped in, the energy backwash knocking Zephyre to her knees.

"I'll deal with you later, little brother. In the meantime..." She lashed out her crystal snake towards Syme, who made a quick sidestep motion, and a quicker thrust. The point of his blade struck the snake in it's mouth, where it stuck, discoloring before breaking off, the now-decapitated weapon falling limp upon the floor. Not deterred, she gave it a quick flick, the crystal corpse striking Syme between the legs, at least temporarily incapacitating him.

The wolfess was cornered now, and she knew it. But, as the guns she had just pulled out of her desk went to show, the fight was by no means over yet...

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Cat came from behind devina, through the wall and punched her in the back of the head. Amadeas came through the opposite broken window. HIs body glowing at this point. Devina was floored and Cat's heel smashed into her back. "YOu forgot something....no outside help in a duel....meaning Vanessa just forfeit her soul now....how about that devina? YOu wanna get up and finish this duel to try and save her? Or do you wanna just surrender?"

Amadeas reached through the desk, and pulled Vivian out, phasing her through the wood. He slid her across the floor as he stood there, blocking Vanessa's path. "Come here puppy....You been a bad girl....gonna get spanked." he said as he just stood there. Devina scrambled to get away from Cat, but the younger cubi kept increasing the pressure of her foot on the woman's back. holding her down, painfully.

"Amadeas, you know the laws better than me.....is it possible, that without my Grandmother's interference, Vanessa never would have been able to pull this off? Wouldn't that make her just a guilty?" Amadeas nodded, "Short answer yes. Though on her part there is a clause that allows us summary judgement and execution." Cat grinned softly and looked down at Devina. "You know what....Yall have vanessa.....This one is mine to deal with." kicking Devina off the ground and into the air, she hurled her out the window and jumped out after her. Amadeas stood still, letting her go. "Vaughan....will you or conrad please go find Agreal for me. I can sense he is in the lower parts of the castle...and in distress. I would go myself, but as you see, well......Vanessa needs a lamp at the moment so she can finish studying." There was the sound of metal scraping metal, as his blade slid out of his wrist, popping and catching it in his paw. "Zephyre, how should we do it? cut off limbs? remove her organ's while she is still alive? Or would you rather she stand trial in front of the deities she tried to do away with? Let Tellissa read her the list of charges personally?"

~~~~

On the ground, Devina hit and rolled. Standing slowly as Cat landed near her. "Catalina.....you foul child I will have your guts for this." Cat shrugged, "Oh like I care. You won't live long after you kill me. Barius is still watching....and just to clear it up...He's not an Anarchist. He's a drunkard. He only wear's that particular headband because it was the only one he could afford at the time, and it covers up that nasty scar on his head....." Devina looked confused. "You wonder how I know so much about what's going on in your head? How I can easily read your patterns and counter them?"

Devina stood full. Forming her pike in her paw she smiled, "Come on. You are stalling. Hoping to recharge some energy before I attack." "Try me. I have powers you don't know about. And I have friend's you don't understand. There are others out there, watching, waiting. They remember what happened here because it is there past. One of them....is the one that repaired my back. And he is really upset with you. So please, don't try your luck with me." Devina swung, and her blade hit Cat's wrist. The weapon cracked, as Cat's eyes glowed white. "My father left me a parting gift you know....it's not much. But with the desire to protect this world he somehow knew I would have, it's amplified. Because that's what I am....a protector. I will protect my mate, my child, and my world. You have no idea the anger I have right now." She pushed the blade away.

Then it started. Cat was using her bare fists, as Devina changed from weapon to weapon, trying to find one to get through that shield. unfortunately each blow should the grounds, and everyone in the courtyard. Moving faster and faster, they pair actually started running up the walls as they went. Devina had physical size and strength, but Cat had speed on her side. Then devina saw it. The rifts were sealing. Closing up, and the hellbeasts were not falling into the realm anymore. The stars themselves were shifting, changing. Something was happening, and it frightened her.

Cat grinned, "You understand now? Things were set in motion that would stop you. Things that can not be undone by your efforts. The Universe is a living thing, and we exist within it. You....You are just one drop in the bucket Devina. You thought Vanessa would save you? You are as expendable to her as a bent penny....she doesn't love you." Devina just smiled, "Oh...I know. But I never wanted her love....just the occasional pat on the head and to be there to please her whims as needed. Creatures of all kinds still need creature comforts. Killing a threat here, a back rub there, maybe even helping design and create he clothing. It mattes not. She's fulfilled the need of my soul....how can one not love their savior?"
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

One of the stones from Catalina's Dynamic entrance stuck Vanessa smack in the middle of her chest. The armor prevented any injuries, but that still knocked her against the opposite wall. Didn't knock the air out of her lungs, though. "Hah! Gotta admire your chutzpah, accusing me of cheating when you come in with half an army." Given that, legally, they were one entity, though technically separate souls, it was true that the first offender was Vivian, and by extension Catalina. On the other hand, that pretty much made her subject to the duel outcome anyway.

On top of that, there were these motley creatures, here swearing vengeance upon her head. Vaughan, of course, bowed out to find Argreal. "Sanctimony... ech, I knew you wouldn't have the guts." The red wolf didn't even acknowledge his sister's parting taunt, and she knew then that he was beyond being frightened of her. The old childhood certainties were eroding, but of course that was only to be expected.

Vanessa stared down at her opponents, looking one instant as if she'd go down in a blase of gun-firing glory, but then she laid them both upon her desk, and sat down in her chair. It was unexpected enough to give Zephyre and Syme pause, and in that moment she brought out a document from the desk. "My articles of surrender. I hereby yield and withdraw, and so claim the rights of a prisoner of war under the Infernal Council Unification treaty." Never before in the history of the universe had a declaration of surrender been given with so triumphant a smile.

Zephyre was at first shocked at this move, and then she saw what it meant. "You-!" It took Conrad and Syme both to hold her back. "That's what she's planning on! She'll get her day in court, and wriggle out of justice again!"

"No," the golden fox, strained to get out as he held the raging vampiress back under the amused gaze of their enemy, "Her plan is to try to make us violators of the treaty, and the rest of the council won't stop fighting. Don't think she'll get out of this; the Paradisan courts don't offer plea bargains, and she can't stack the jury there, unlike down below."

Zephyre clenched her teeth, seething, but allowed herself to settle down. Vanessa was disappointed, and looked to Amadeas. "Well, the one who lost her children won't, so how about the little orphan?"

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Catalina smiled softly, as Devina began running out of Steam. The older cubi was battlewary. So was Catalina, but Cat had the advantage of not actually having her soul tied up in another being. Unfortunately, Cat was not so learned in the art of deception. She had tried to remain truthful. And that was almost her downfall. Devina kicked her in the gut, knocking her off the wall and down fifteen flights. Cat Managed to land on her feet, but that blow had hurt.

Devina came down at Catalina full tilt. Wings folded and sword aimed at her head. Cat bared her teeth and drew back, swinging up as hard as she could, twisting her body to the side at the same time. Devina took the blow to the face. That was the last thing she saw, after that her helm slamming shut as Cat began to lay it on her heavily. Devina's armor began to crack under the blows.

Amadeas watched for a moment from the hole in the wall before walking back to the desk and picking up the paper. reading it over, he glanced at Vanessa and smiled. then crumpled it up in a ball, "Surrender not accepted. I'd love to kill you but I think it will be far more pleasant for you to watch my mother read the charges against you. Though... that said I can still accidentally break your arm because you resist arrest."

The wolf tossed the papers and brought his sword up, layng the top against her neck. "Vanessa. Either by my paw or by anothers you will see justice. You wont slither your way out of this one. Yea. You manages to do lasting damage. But it can be repaired slowly." Amadeas spun and brought his other foot up and used it to pin Vanessa to the wall. "Now....be a good little puppy and hold still.....because If you don't, accidents happen. And there is little enough power left to stop me." "Now Now my son. She surrended.....Please respect that. Even if she has less than half a soul, it's still alive and thus, can still be made whole again. Just have to fix what others have done to her." Tellissa walked in through the door, taking a moment to shut it before moving to the wolf and wolfess. Reaching out she lowered Amadeas leg and in the same motion, took vanessa's amulet off her, including her armor. "Hmmm Catalina created this process. I see Devina manufactured yours, or you attempted to do it. See, the thing about copycats is that they....always miss some intricate detail known only to the master. Oh, here it is." She reached inside the amulet itself, smiling at Vanessa as she drew out what was left of the elf-kitsune's soul. "My my, cant even finish a full meal in one sitting. Though I really cant blame you. Such a messy eater. Oh don't worry Vanessa, You will have your day in court. Unfortunately you killed most of the other gods, and Shiba is....missing. So the ones you see here.....are your jury. I am your bailiff, and the worst part of it all.....The only ones left to enforce a ruling are Catalina's siblings. well And Maria. How's that gonna turn out for you?"

Devina's body hit the floor, shaking, bloody, and her armor completely broken. Catalina hovered over her, standing in the hole. "Now then....where were we? Oh yes. Surrender, I take it she tried to use the Infernian council's version of the war crimes law right?" Amadeas nodded, "Tried..." he tossed her the crumpled paper. "Nice...nice....very nice....thankfully this doesn't apply to devina. We can torture her allwe want. And Vanessa's gonna feel it all the way through her trial. Hell I can possess devina and use that to make Vanessa say what we want her to say. Some trial that's gonna be." Tellissa pressed her lips, "Catalina....enough dear. Go help your husband fetch Agreal. This one placed a space loop on the room he's in. Kitchen dear."

Cat sighed, and moved off, but then turned and tossed Tellissa a small, black box. "Here....holding cell. She'll recognize it." Tellissa smiled. "I offer you one simple choice. Zephyre and Amadeas seem really geared toward shredding you, and seeing as I don't know the law I don't really want to say I can stop them here. SO here is your choice, Unconditional, total surrender, all rights, freedoms, and powers surrendered. Period. No exceptions. You do that, I place you in here. Every atom in your body is held still, compacted as if you were held in a black hole. You won't be able to plan, think, or blink. Until your trial. Your other option is not going to be pleasant. Amadeas is very skilled in healing spells. I think he could probably revive someone that had been dead for ten years. so keeping you alive through it all, letting you watch the worlds grow, recover, become whole and fill with life and love and all the things you want to end."

Devina started moving, Starting to get up, when Amadeas's sword tip tapped her chin, "Just lay back down granny.....it's the best you can do. Unless you really want to be charged with false surrender, attempted murder of an Arch Angel, two charges of attempted murder on a deity, attempted murder of the Four Horsemen, Attempted murder of a princess, two princesses actually, betrayal, sedition.....Syme, aren't there like...50 charges against them now? That's a bit much on the courts don't you think?" he flicked the blade, intentionally Cutting Devina's face open. She yowled and cupped a paw to her face. "Bastard wolf." He back handed her across the room to Vanessa's feet. "You're lucky I'm in a damn good mood right now. If I wasn't I'd let Zephyre finish this herself and I'd clean up the mess. NO muss no fuss and no witnesses here that would actually turn her or me over to the Paradisian or Infernian courts. You are pathetic Vanessa. You....You are the kind of mortal that I hate. The kind I wanna destroy. You lack one simple thing that all mortals are free to enjoy if they just try.....You can't love. Either by Shiba's means or your own, I don't know nor care....No you know what I do care." He jammed his sword in the floor and moved on her. "I should just give you a bit of my own. Let you feel for a few moments what it's like to feel. to love, and lose it. Let you feel 4000 years of anger, and grief, and love and loss and pain and everything else. I should curse you with it and let you just deal with it in your little holding cell.......Make your choice vanessa......." He was right in her face. his voice hit a level that even made Tellissa wince a bit, "NOW!"

~~~~

Catalina moved to join Vaughan. Coming up behind him, she whispered, "Hey love." she took his paw and smiled, "Kitchen. She's sealed him in the kitchen. Space loop. fortunately, those are easy to break..... Think of it like a bubble. Just need to poke it in the right spot." she smiled, holding up Devina's Amulet. "See....not too bad eh?"

The tigress was still tense. Worried. She showed it, but her tail was moving to curl with his as they walked. Her paws held his softly. "I'm thinking vacation time. Just close the shop, lock the apartment up, pack some clothing and a phone, and go somewhere....somewhere we can just lock ourselves in a cabin with no one for miles to bother us. You ..... me..... a bottle of 1855 Cherry Merlot. maybe some lingerie and a a sky light over the bed....sound good?" she smiled at him, her wings shifting slightly as she looked down, the soft blue glow in her eyes looking over his face. Searching for some sign this was all right, that it was over.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Vanessa very pointedly did not resist arrest. Even as Amadeas landed blow after blow against her, she still had the serene, infuriating smile of a martyr. "The arrow of time goes one way," she grunted, as the wolf's kick pinned her against the wall, "If the Lords of Time could not stop their end, neither could you stop yours." It was only when Tellissa entered that her smile dropped off her face. "What!? You, here? How... ugh." For the first time, she seemed to actually surrender, the fight going out of her eyes.

Zephyre was hardly convinced of Tellissa's diagnosis. "I shouldn't think the healing worth the doctor's expense, myself."
"That is not a judgment those of my profession can afford to make, you know." Doctor Carl spoke, leaning against the wall as he watched the proceedings. "That is the oath we take."

Conrad had to make a dive to dodge the sudden entrance of Devina's body, dusting himself off as he got to his feet. "Seems to be all over but the paperwork now. Not that there's gonna be much of that, by the looks of things."
"Good." His wife growled. "Fewer loopholes."

As Amadeas listed the charges, Syme felt compelled to interrupt. "Ah, I don't think we'll get the Four Horsemen charge to stick, seeing as we weren't the actual Horsemen, as such." There was a silence, as everyone's gaze fell upon the golden fox. "No one appointed me. I printed the cards at a UPS store. You see," He turned to the wolf, "I needed some way to get you invested in the investigation, while claiming a separate chain of command from Shiba, since you were her prophet, and she was a prime suspect. Quite honestly, I'm a little surprised I managed to convince you all, especially considering that two of the Horsemen I wrangled up were mortals."

As something of a con himself, Conrad was impressed, and gave Syme a slow clap of applause. "Bravo, a real masterwork. By the way, why did the others join you?"
Lee shrugged. "Well, when an actual angel shows up with a mission for you, best thing to do is to say yes, right?"
Doctor Carl was more emphatic, though more enigmatic. "He supported a theory of mine concerning conduct in high places, and offered me a chance to rectify it."

Vanessa looked up and just stared dumbly at Amadeas as he ranted, as a cow might stare, or rather as an observer might stare back at a cow. She just blinked at him, before sighing. "It all comes to the same thing in the end; the wise, the foolish, the loving, the hateful, the same end comes to all. It doesn't matter, nothing does. I can only take comfort in the fact that at least one of you will live long enough to see that I was right." A smile did return to her face as she went on, "Oh, and none of you jokers would have stopped me if it wasn't for that meddling kid."

Syme gave a bow, and Vanessa slunk down next to Devina, resting a paw on the panthress' head, stroking it lightly. "Long story short, it doesn't really matter what you do, to me or anyone else." She made no effort to choose, which in itself could probably be taken as surrender.

~***~

The castle was either curiously empty, or what was left of the inhabitants were fleeing before Vaughan in terror. Honestly, he didn't mind all that much. He just wanted to find Agreal and get out of there. The distinct lack of earth-shattering kabooms made him think that the actual fighting was probably over, but it wasn't until Catalina came up behind him that he had any definite proof to that effect.
He held her paw close, leaning up against her as their tails intertwined. "The loop's near the kitchen. It's pretty frayed already; even I can sense it. It should resolve itself on its own in a few minutes." He sighed, thinking over the travel plans the tigress was outlining as the walls in front of them shifted, revealing the door to the kitchen. "That sounds wonderful, love. I've had a place in mind for a while, actually; far from... all of this, really." He looked at her through the blue glow of her eyes, giving a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder. "The worst is over, the rest we can clean up."

The door finished materializing, and they stepped through. Vaughan quickly strode over to where the fox was lying, performing a quick diagnostics check. "Paralysis. No immediate chance of death, though; hopefully Dr. Carl has an anti-toxin on him."

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Amadeas watched the way Vanessa stroked Devina's head. Slowly the blade slid back into his wrist. He stood there, watching. The fire burned out of him. He slowly turned around, and walked toward the hole in the wall. "I'm going to send out a message to Cat's siblings. They'll know more about succubi injuries than any of us. Does, anyone have any other numbers they need to call?" he asked softly.

Tellissa moved to kneal before Vanessa, "Would you let me help you? heal the crater in your soul?" she whispered softly. Even as she spoke, she reached down and touched Devina. While her own energy was too different to suffice a major healing, she did at least stop mos of the bleeding and close the large wounds. Devina was quiet, verbally at least. Though she was speaking to Vanessa. "What do you wish of me mistress?" Still devoted, after all this. Loyal not only in life but possible death as well. Not the blind devotion of a zealot or the kind of a brainwashed fool. This was real devotion. The kind that only comes once in a life time.

Tellissa looked at the half consumed soul in her paw. Such a little thing. Timid, pulsing, barely hanging on to life. She closed her eyes and her paw. Slowly, the glow surrounding her paw began to brighten. Bright as the noon sun on the beaches. Then it slowly faded. Opening her paw, the small little orb of light was a full figure now. An image of what the woman had been in life. Smiling, Tellissa turned to Syme, "Will you ohld her for me please? When we leave here I'll collect her and give her a new life in the mortal realms."

~~~

"hey Vaughan. Sorry about this. Guess I'm getting old." Came Agreal's metal reply. Catalina laughed softly. "Not as old as me. Come on..." She knelt down and lifted him up. "Damn you are getting heavy though. I warned you about eating all that Yamanese." The fox gave a mental raspberry. Cat just smiled and shook her head. "I don't think I have the power left to warp us all, So we can just walk back up." She said as she turned to the door. Then she paused. She saw someone, and narrowed her eyes. A small creature walked in the door. A male wolf, no more tan a child. He stood there, holding something in his paw. Catalina watched him, as he said something under his breath and smiled at them. He was hooded and cloaked, hiding most of his body. Turning slowly, he walked away. "Wait..." Catalina said. The child just waved at her, showing what was in his paw. A toy space ship. The kind any little boy would love to have. But why was there a child here in the castle?

Soon enough he vanished form sight. With him gone, Catalina stared after him a moment. The child had been demon, for sure. He carried no scent she could place a name too. But there was just something.....off about him. Something too familiar. She chalked it up to paranoia, and continued walking. "Odd....Didn't think there were any wolf demons in Tamiko Realm. But then again, it has been some time since I visited here."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

A look of wearied exasperation was Vanessa's reply to Tellissa's offer. "You call it healing? Brainwashing, I call it. I believe I may have said that I had enough? And enough is enough." She clamped her jaw shut then, not to open it again until the trial. That didn't stop her from mentally speaking with Devina again. *You... can take charge now. I'm done.* And the Panthress would have felt a lessening of restrictions in her mind and soul, a relinquishing of domination, not so much out of affection for now as sheer exhaustion. It may have triggered a memory within the cubi, of what the wolfess was like, watching the end of the world on the last cycle of time...

Syme accepted the restored soul gently, cupping in in his hands. "Certainly. Here's hoping for a better lot next time."

Conrad and Zephyre were looking at each other, both unsatisfied at the outcome, but more than anything glad it was over. "I think we're about ready to go home now."

~***~

Vaughan had moved around to take Agreal's shoulders, and had just hoisted him up when he caught sight of the young wolf. Of cubi heritage, no doubt, but the light had caught something off his muzzle that gave the older wolf pause. "I don't think..." He paused as the cub left, turning to Catalina as they walked the vampire up. "Did you notice? He one fang on the left side, like mine."

When Doctor Carl finally got a look at their patient, he confirmed Vaughan's diagnosis. True to hopes, he even had an anti-toxin on him. "I kept some around since my days in Piriqui. You't never know when it might be needed." It was administered quickly enough, though it would take the better part of a day for the fox to fully recover. "Have some food ready for him when he's able to swallow, and have him exercise his muscles soon after."

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Tellissa nodded softly and sighed, "As you wish." She held up the cube, as she stood. Backing up, she let it float up over them. Devina got to her knees, looking up at the cube, before slowly looking to Vanessa. She reached out, pulling the wolfess against her. Cradling her gently as she pulled her wings around the woman. In a matter of seconds it was done. They were sealed away.

Amadeas nodded, after sending out the message he moved to Conrad and Zephyre. "Alright, quick stop at the motel to pick up your stuff and then back to your flat. Holding out his paws, he placed one on each of their shoulders. "Ok, here we go." They shifted, sliding between the realms. Fading from sight, they reappeared in the motel room. Amadeas let them get packed up, before taking them home. Once there, he paused a moment to look around, "Yall have fun alright? You'll get the summons for the court later. Paradisian courts are going to be slow for a while. At least what's left of them."

He gave them a nod, and a smile, and vanished. Returning to Inferno just after Dr. Carl made his professional diagnosis. The wolf came to the fox, and smiled. "Hey baby...." Agreal wasn't able to move just yet, but he could respond in his own way. After Cat's siblings arrived to tend to Maria, and Barius joined them, Tellissa got everyone close. "Alright. Home we go. I'll be in touch." She opened a series of portals for everyone. "Just concentrate on where you want to go. The portals will remain open if you have to make stops to pick up anything you left behind. I'm going to remain with my son for a while...."

Cat took a moment to explain it to her siblings, and promised to come back and help clean up. They told her it was alright, they could handle it. Then she told them about the child. Tellissa just grinned, "Don't worry about the kid. he's already gone home. You just worry about getting some down time. a hot shower, warm meal, maybe a drink and a little cuddle time." She winked at them and turned toward the portal aimed at the arctic. Stepping through, she vanished. Amadeas picked up Agreal, holding him gently against his chest. "See ya later." he nodded to everyone and stepped through. As his portal closed, one could hear the snow crunching under his bare feet.

Cat took Vaughan's paw and walked through. Arriving at the motel to get their things, she moved to the bed. Packing up her stuff, she looked at the Amulet she took from Devina. IT was loaded, completely full of souls. She could sort them out, tell the good from the bad. But the problem for her was how to explain to the good ones what had happened to them. She quietly set the amulet in the black trunk, and began placing everything else in. After it was all gathered up, she reached into it, and brought out the ring vaughan gave her. Sliding it back on her finger, she smiled down at it. "Mrs Catalina Tamiko Montiblanc," she whispered softly. Her cubi features slipping back inside, leaving her a 6'4" grey tigress. Looking at Vaughan, she paused a moment. "Well.... I guess this is it huh? No more wondering just what can happen with your sister on a throne, dreading my grandmother's arrival at an inopportune moment..... How are we gonna explain this to Ishimi and Morrissey?"

~~~

Once Amadeas had Agreal settled in to recover, he went to check on Wakia. The female ferret was asleep still, dozing softly in one of the guest rooms. Tellissa rejoined Syme long enough to collect the soul, and give him a hug. "You did good hun. For what it's worth, I'm proud of you. Go get some rest. I'll handle the proceedings for a while. I'll call you in the morning alright?"

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Conrad and Zephyre dropped their bags with a sigh and a thump once they got back to their flat. The vampiress in particular was still full of tension, her teeth clenched and grinding. That is not a pleasant sound to hear, even when a mortal does it, let alone one of the "long-toothed ones." Conrad only smiled sadly, and moved around to his wife's back to massage some of the knots out of her shoulders. After half a minute, she started to purr, and curled her tails around him in affection.

Over Zephyre's shoulder, the Dhampyre nodded at Amadeas. "Right-o, we will." He leaned in to nuzzle her neck after the wolf left. "And that'll be it, love. No more will her shadow hang over us. No more nightmares..."

~***~

Doctor Carl wiped his hypodermic syringe with an alcohol cloth as Amadeas picked up his patient. "Well, I won't say it has been fun, but I am glad to have been some use here at least."
Syme nodded, giving him a farewell wave. "Off to home then, doctor? I trust you've a better sense of your goals and direction."
The otter gave a solemn nod, and an even more solemn smile, which nevertheless had the warmth of a an old oak-paneled office, and stepped through the portal to Gawain.

Lee shrugged. "I don't know what I was in this for, but I've got to get back to my music. See ya!" And he bounded through the portal.

After Vaughan and Catalina had stepped through the portal to the motel, they had packed up in a companionable silence, as if shutting the door at last on the whole business. Vaughan emptied his pockets of all his bullets and handguns, carefully putting them away in his suitcase, covering them with his clothes, and folding his long duster jacket on top before finally closing the lid with a satisfying click.
As the tigress put on her ring, he fingered his own, thinking thoughts on those same lines. Their life together was beginning, appropriately, with an exorcism of the ghosts in his past. He began to smile, and even to laugh softly. "Explain, love? I think a celebration may be the best thing; my little brother doesn't have to go into marriage with a monster hanging over him... and neither do I." He strode over to the tigress, bringing her in an embrace and a kiss.

"Let's go home."

~~

As Tellissa took the soul from him, an ineradicable instinct of daintiness caused Syme to check his clothes. The fox sighed; the fine suit he'd bought from the tailor shop in the Arctic was quite ruined. The jacket was rags, the vest had a hole where Shiba's corruption had eaten through it, and the pants were frayed at the edges. But, it had lasted through the end of the investigation, and so had he, so that was something.
"Thank you, and habeas corpus." He pointed at the containment cube with his stick. "I'll leave them in your paws, then." And with one final salute, the golden fox departed for Paradiso.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Cat leaned into him, a deep rumbling purr leaving her as her arms wound around him. Sounds wonderful to me." She whispered. Her paws scritched at his shirt a bit before she slowly pulled him tighter against her. Her body vibrating in a purr. "Come on then. Lets get home and get some sleep."

As the tigress moved to pick up her trunk, she glanced at the mirror in their room. She was disheveled. Her hair was everywhere, her tail looked like a bristle brush, and her fur was ruffled up in patches, making her look as if she never groomed. The woman slid her trunk into her bag, zipped it up and then slung it over her shoulder. "I think....shower, then coffee, Then a deep-dish pepperoni with extra olives, mushrooms, double cheese, light sauce, no onions or garlic....then bed...yes bed sounds so good. After that we can take time to get the arrangements for the party." her light rambling was not without stutter. A grasp at something normal for once. The tigress was still worried that they had lost, and this was all in her head. That she would come too and Vanessa would be gloating over them as the Universe fell apart around them.

This battle had taken a toll on her. Massive battles had come before. Ones that had decided the balance of the universe, and she had had her paws in it. But this one was different. Something had not settled well with her. Or something about her was unsettled by the whole ordeal. Her mind flashed back to the Silver spire, and the one that had come out of it. She had not seen the face before, but it was so familiar to her. And that bothered her. Who was that woman? and why had she seemed so familiar.

She tensed a bit, as a shudder ran through her, making her tail bristle even more. But she banished the thoughts. Stepping through the portal with Vaughan. Home. The familiar scents of lavender, coffee, old metal, and......that was new. Roses. Fresh roses. She looked around, and spotted them on the coffee table. Just a half dozen, beautiful red and white roses. She set her bag down and walked to them. Leaning down, she looked at them. No card, just a note. Scrolled in a handwritting she didn't recognize. But it was written in Infernian speech. Holding it up she read it aloud, "for the road ahead, for the twisted path we all must walk, though for many it is ever so long. with dearest love, for mom and dad...."

She looked at Vaughan. "Ishimi?" she asked.

~~~~

Tellissa ventured to Paradiso, to a place ventured too by few. While most of the place was ripped up, burned, or shattered, she knew her place would be well enough alone. Coming to it, over the rolling hills, she spotted it. A very simple wood cottage. Stepping inside, she sighed softly. It was her place. Her home. neglected for the last half century. Even in Paradiso it had collected dust. Taking the cube, she set it on the desk and moved to the windows. Opening them all, she sighed as the air flowed in. "I'm sorry I couldn't get through to you Vanessa. I don't want you to serve me. I never wanted that. I just wanted to undo what was done. Give you the chance to live your life with a chance to feel what love is. to experience what others feel. yes, it comes with pain. A lot of it. BUt you could have done so much good. You are immortal now. You could do so much for the world, for yourself even. The little pleasures, the little pains.....they mean so much. I wish I could have made you see that..." She looked at the cube, well aware that neither Devina, nor Vanessa could hear her.

She picked up a polishing rag she used on her armor and began to clean up her home. Though pausing to look at a mirror ever so often, and smiling. Watching Amadeas and Agreal settle and recover. Watching the Arch Angel explain what had happened to the angels that were left. Expressing his deepest regret and apology. And much to her delight, no one held it against him. They had all been led astray in some way.

Then her mind turned to the cube again. She could bring them to the courts right now. But that would mean dragging the others up to Paradiso for the trail. Trials were often short, but they had had no time to recover. They were tired, and hungry, and sore. She would give them time. Time for them to recover, to let Inferno and Paradiso recover as well. Let the dust settle before kicking it up again.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Exhaustion does affect one's sense of reality; the waking world seems a little too dreamlike to be entirely trusted. If not for this, perhaps, sleep may be done without entirely. In the meantime, Vaughan stayed close to Cat, as a means of mutual reassurance. The trunk and suitcase were dropped in the foyer after stepping through the portal to their home. The wolf took a deep breath, clearing his lungs of the last of the infernal air.

"Roses?" That was new, and it worried him. Someone had to have entered without permission, not a comforting thought by any means. The discovery of the bouquet was only slightly reassuring, if only because he knew that Ishimi had a key to the place. "Seems odd that she'd be so cryptic, that's not like her at all. It'd be a simple congratulation, or a 'welcome home.' Dunno about the handwriting, either." He could tell that something besides the recent battle was preying on Catalina's mind, and he made a guess. "This have something to do with the crystal spire?"

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Catalina slowly sank to the sofa. "She was...white furred...a tigress...and Angel with blue eyes. never see her before in my life. She said she knew I needed her help, and that she was just the companion. The real savior was behind me repairing my back with a borrowed instrument." She looked up. "I honestly think Del may have sent reinforcements. That was not any mortal technology I have ever seen. That was something else. Not really sure what it was....but that sound...that wheezing...gasping...tearing sound it made. I know that sound anywhere....and so do you and Conrad. Then again maybe I watch Too much Doctor Who....But I think....I think it might have been the doctor in that spire." her gaze was far off, remembering a time when things were different and she had had her spine sliced open before.

After a moment she shook her head. "No, I'm just going batty in my old age. It's probably just my mind messing with me. Granny hit me pretty hard on the face a couple times...may have finally loosed the dust in there eh?" She tried to dismiss her own thoughts. An angel in a TARDIS with the Doctor. That would be a sight to see. Least it's not a weeping angel, she thought to herself with a small smirk. Dropping the card she stood, and moved to him. slowly putting her arms around his shoulders as she leaned in. "I think....I owe you a back massage, and maybe some time with the phone ripped out of the wall. Hmm?" she purred softly, as she leaned in and kissed him.

The roses could wait. There was something far more important on her mind. Her husband for starters. And a bath after that. After a moment she leaned back, Grinning at him with that coy look she only got when she was playing with him. "mmmmm you can by my doctor anytime...." she turned and headed for the bedroom, leaving the door open. There was the sound of someone flopping on the bed, and then her Amulet hit the floor and slide out the bedroom door. "Kick that thing under the sofa. I dont wanna see it for a week! and we aint leaving neither!" she called in a playful tone.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Vaughan knew no more than Catalina what to make of the whole business. It was hard to dismiss anything outright as impossible, considering everything that they'd already gone through, but to suggest that life was imitating pop culture was... a little much. Right now, though, it probably didn't matter much. Not as much as that they were together, and had some time alone at last.

"That sounds like a very good idea." He rumbled as the tigress kissed him, smiling as she assumed her playful attitude again. "Very well, let us commence... the examination." Picking up her mood in kind, he kicked the amulet off to the side, missing the couch by a good foot, but not really caring. They had the night; the sun would rise again in the morning, and that was victory enough.

((Unless you feel like spending a few posts on the trial, I think this wraps it up.))