Time for a Race?

This is where all of the Age of Information role-plays are archived.
Asyriel
God
God

Re: Time for a Race?

Post by Asyriel »

Freya stood tall and defiant as Mia's troops fired RPG's from behind outcroppings. The one aimed at the cargo helicopter seemed to be on target, but it's path curved and it narrowly missed. The second RPG did not miss though. One of the attack helicopters fell from the sky while ropes were tossed from the utility helicopters, and several figures dropped quickly to the ground. The second attack helicopter opened fire, targeting Mia's troops, and attempting to cover Ivan's descent. Freya continued to hold her ground through the maelstrom. She flexed her will, and the boulder she had tethered tore free from it's place on the mountainside. The boulder hurtled through the air at the still functional attack helicopter, smashing into it with more than enough force to tear it from the sky.

By the time the attack helicopters were down, the utility helicopter had unloaded it's passengers, and was making it's way quickly from the area. "Quarry's in the jungle." she announced before stalking off toward the edge of the clearing.

Sponsor

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Post by Rackenhammer »

Well, the plan didn't go perfectly, but then, what plan ever did? At the very least, Ivan's attack helicopters had both been taken down, leaving a rather more even playing field.

Now came the tricky part; Ivan was probably not experienced in jungle warfare, but his local mercs certainly were. If allowed, they could melt back into the foliage to trouble them another day. Mia would much rather take care of him now, if at all possible.
She nodded crisply at Freya, the battle having joined them as allies. "You take the far end, I'll take the near; you can get there faster than me." She whistled, and her troops fell in behind her as she descended the mountain, scampering from cover to cover to ward off any potshots.

She slipped out a pair of daylight-adjusted infrared goggles, which allowed one to bypass the effects of camoflauge. It wasn't just the heat of the bodies; foliage and clothing reflected light radically different in that wavelength. Slinging out her rifle, she began taking shots of her own, just warning ones at first, shouting, "Your jig is up! Are you going to die for an employer like him, or are you going to do the smart thing?" It was unlikely that Ivan had hired a merc group with Mia's sense of honor...
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya nodded at Mia, and leaped into the air. She used the mountain on the other side of the valley to pull her quickly over the patch of jungle containing Ivan and his mercenaries. She landed quickly and heavily a far enough distance from the fighting that she wouldn't be an immediate target. Once on the ground she started heading for Ivan's mercenaries.

The Mercenaries that Ivan brought with him were well equipped and well trained. While they may not have cared about dying for Ivan, their brothers in arms were another matter. They split into two teams, and made excellent use of the hard cover of tree trunks, rocks, and variations in the terrain. Each team had one machine gun with them, and they used them. The teams laid down mutually supporting suppressing fire as one team moved toward the wreckage of the attack helicopters, and the other team maneuvered to try to Flank Mia's troops.

Ivan carried a grenade launcher, and worked independently of the mercenaries. He lobbed grenades at Mia's troops, but kept his fire away from his mercenaries.

Freya moved through the jungle, not bothering to mask her movements as she stalked Ivan, closing in on him with each passing moment.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Nobody had to die today. That's what made it so bad to Mia; she could well understand a company of mercs willing to face death for their brothers (and sisters) in arms, she saw that in her own troops. There was no reason at all why they should be aggressive in this circumstance, by all rational calculation. But, as Martya would acerbically put it, "The Will to Be Stupid is strong." And Mia had often been in fights that were objectively none of her business, so this was hardly an unexpected development.

This was going to turn into a tough fight. From her assessment of the forces, they were going on an assault pattern, and as such had brought rapid-fire machines, but no snipers. What troops she had should, therefore, take a defensive stance and make every shot count with scopes, taking out cover with what grenades they had left.
It seemed Ivan had the same idea; fortunately, the slope at this point was steep enough that any grenades that were launched kinetically, instead of with rockets, would likely roll backwards rather than explode. He was careful to avoid having them roll back on his own mercs, but that limited their room to maneuver, bringing the fight to a more even keel.

Therefore, Mia focused her tactics on occupying the enemy while Freya sneaked up on their leader. So far, the diversion was proving successful.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya continued to make her way toward Ivan. She could sense him, though it was difficult to pick him out a track him among the mercenaries. As she got closer to Ivan she started taking some measures to mask her approach, though Ivan was paying little attention to what was directly behind him, a grave mistake on his part.

Ivan's mercenaries continued their fight, on of the teams had made it to the wreckage of one of the helicopters, and had set up in a defensive stance while they attempted to pull the pilot from the downed aircraft. The other team set down careful suppressing fire to support the other team while they worked.

Ivan continued to use his grenade launcher, and continued to be oblivious to Freya's approach. As she got within easy sight of the polar bear, she crouched, and spread her wings. She sprung into the air, gliding quickly on spread wings toward Ivan's back. She slammed her shoulder into him with enough force to knock the wind out of him, and nearly knock him flat on his face. As it was he was on a knee, hunched over, and trying to catch his breath. Freya had tucked her wings, and rolled with the impact over the top of Ivan and landed on hands and feet in front of him. She got back to her feet and approached the polar bear as he gasped for breath.
Last edited by Asyriel on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Mia kept an eye on the battle; for now, Ivan's mercs were more aiming to get their comrades together than to assault her own position, so she signaled her troops to hold their positions, and not to fire too many bullets. The grunts were not the real target, Ivan was. The Dresden had done their duty in isolating him, and Freya had just now reached him. The commander gave a satisfied nod at the scene. As soon as she had secured him, Mia would call for a cease-fire, or at the very least let the other mercs beat an unmolested retreat. *Allow your enemy to carry as much face as he can off the battlefield, provided you don't let him carry anything else.* Words of wisdom from her grandfather.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

As Ivan lifted his head, Freya launched herself forward again. This time she struck Ivan nearly head on, with her arms outstretched. She pushed him to his back on the ground, and pinned his shoulders with her hands while she settled her hips above his own to hold him down. Ivan was stronger than Freya had expected, her underestimation of his strength let him flip her over, and reverse their positions. He landed a savage blow to her face, but his advantage was short lived as he forgot about the natural blade that tipped her tail. She didn't bother aiming for Ivan's torso as it was covered in body armor. Instead, as the polar bear brought his arm back for another blow, she brought her legs up, and hooked the claws on her feet into the cloth on his vest, then whipped her tail around so that the blade bit into his arm. He bellowed in pain, and Freya heaved with her feet, launching Ivan off of her. He landed heavily near her, and she wasted no time pinning him again, this time expecting what Ivan could do. She looked Ivan in the eyes, and her eyes looked into him. She brought her entire force of will, and her psychic abilities to bear as she spoke a command. "You will comply." Ivan tried to resist, and for a moment she thought she would have to destroy his will, but eventually she won over, Ivan stopped resisting her, and his body lost all tension as he replied to her command. "I will comply" He replied. Freya nodded, and got to her feet.

The mercenaries had only been paid to intimidate a few archaeologists. Facing trained soldiers had not been a part of the contract, and as such they had little interest in fighting any further than securing their comrades and leaving. They continued to work in concert, one team pulling pilots from the helicopter wreckage, and the other covering their work. Once the pilots had been removed, and they saw Ivan's capture, they started making their retreat. They made their way back into the jungle where presumably somewhere along they way they would be retrieved.

As the fighting tapered off, Freya led Ivan back toward Martya's dig, and Mia's troops. As they got close, Freya told Ivan to kneel. Ivan knelt on the ground, and waited for Mia's troops to bind him. "he's yours, and will stay compliant for now." She said as she got close enough for Mia to hear. Now there were other matters to attend to, and Freya hoped that taking care of Ivan would occupy Mia for at least a short time. Freya found Etienne quickly. "you got that surveying equipment she asked with some urgency in her voice. We need to work quickly here."

Sade
Dysuhlian >:C
Species: Toaster

Post by Sade »

The hairless canine was nothing if not adaptable. The steady stream of outrageously paranormal activity had inured him to Freya’s powers, he’d long since stopped gaping at her as she got things done in favor of watching with detached respect as she got things done. Well, perhaps not so detached. He had to fight down a smile- even more dreadful, a boyish grin!- when he saw Freya approaching. He had to admit that she was just a little amazing.

Those thoughts slipped away when he heard the urgency in her voice. He nodded and hurried over to the helicopter, slowing a tad to make a quick survey of the machine for damage- it looked like it would fly- before diving into the cockpit to pull out the survey equipment. Predictably it all looked to be in working order. The fighting had moved away from his impromptu landing pad/tent pretty quickly. He emerged from the helicopter hefting equipment in his arms and a sat-phone tucked between his ear and shoulder.

“Etienne?” Osborne’s voice came through.

“Ivan’s taken care of.”

“Good! Any trouble?”

Etienne rolled his eyes, “oh, you know, nothing I couldn’t handle.”

The old tabby chuckled, “oh of course not. I can picture you now, glowering him into submission!”

The hairless canine flushed, “Freya may have helped. Mia’s here as well. This place is crawling with her people.”

Whatever humor the old tabby’s voice held, it was now replaced with calm concern, “be careful Etienne- as well as you worked together against Ivan, that common threat is gone now. I doubt she’ll think twice about taking anything you find.”

“Yes,” he intoned monotonous acknowledgement. “I’ll be in touch.” Etienne shifted the load in his arms to fold and pocket the phone. It had been a quick conversation and maybe pointless too, if one of Osborne’s satellites was overhead, but keeping his mentor up to date was a reassuring chore nonetheless. He reached Freya and gestured for her to lead the way, but she probably hadn’t seen the gesture because she already was. Etienne’s lips quirked as he fell into quick step behind her.

“I hope you know how to use all this,” he said earnestly as they reached their destination. He kept looking back and forth for Mia and her mercenaries, sure they would pop out from behind the rocky outcroppings at any moment. He had to assume they were being watched from a distance at least. It set the fur on his neck- well, he had no neck fur, but he imagined it would be on end if he did. “Archeology isn’t a subject I’ve studied extensively… it seemed a rather boring subject three days ago.” Now? God, no! And that wasn’t a good ‘god, no’ either! It was full of guns and explosions! Sure, guns and explosions were great when it was ‘Ahnold’ and he had to ‘get to da choppa’, but now it had all become so very real! Etienne didn’t like the thought of being a character in some action movie- not one bit. They tended to die a lot.

He mostly followed Freya around or stood over her, watching the expert work, helping only when she asked it of him and gave him idiot-proof instructions. Sudden realization struck that Freya hadn’t fired a single weapon since they got here, even during the firefight. Yet she took out a helicopter and somehow convinced Ivan to submit. “Were you born with all those… powers… or did you learn them?”

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Mia had all the healthy realism of a soldier; if she witnessed a thing happen, she accepted it as real, and did not attempt to explain it away. It was only logical, after all; dragons were extraordinary creatures, therefore, Freya could do extraordinary things. The commander smiled as she was brought the polar bear, placing a hand on his shoulder and gripping as she said, "Habeas Corpus."

She whistled for her troops, who came over now that the enemy was no longer firing at them. "Bring restraints for the prisoner, I'm taking no chances on his staying compliant." Cuffs were brought out for the wrists and ankles, and the bear was led over to the chopper in a shuffling manner. On the way, Mia dug into a pocket and brought out a small rune, slotting it into a collar and slipping it around her prisoner's neck. More than most mercs, she knew that the paranormal had to be prepared for, and fortunately, Zed had thought to provide her with some magic-sappers.

Occupied as Mia was with Ivan, naturally she would not be able to keep an eye on Etienne and Freya as they got out their surveying equipment. Martya, however, had keen enough eyes for the both of them. As soon as the firefight was resolved, she'd turned back to the site, and marched right up to the pair, backed by her students and interns.
The wolfess gave a a sharp look at their equipment. "I've no objection to you volunteering, but I won't have you marching all over the plots and compromising the relic placements. Or perhaps you will give me the courtesy of telling me exactly why you and your ilk have disturbed my work with bullets and explosions?" She was in no more receptive a mood to being in an action movie than Etienne, though her antipathy came out in a more brusque fashion.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

"I do, though it has been a while since I used it last." Freya replied with a smile as Etienne commented about the surveying equipment. She was glad for the change in the canine's attitude, Freya had not wanted them to be at odds, especially since he was smart and quite capable in most realms outside combat and that is where she would need help the most. She couldn't help but chuckle as she set up the surveying equipment far enough out of Martya's dig area that she wasn't in danger of disturbing any of it. "believe it or not, much of archaeology is very boring, unless you like digging, and meticulously cataloging everything you find before you play forensic scientist to try to assemble a picture from what you've found. The last few days have been an extreme exception to the norm, and today even more so."

She had been aiming the surveying gear across the valley to lock down a reference point when Etienne asked about her abilities. The only thing that would have given away her surprise, and subsequent tension was the fact that her tail stiffened behind her. She paused in what she was doing for a moment before she turned to face Etienne. "I, like all dragons, was born with certain innate abilities, though specific abilities vary as much as individuals." She paused another moment before she spoke again. "Though when I was young, there were many in the world that learned similar things...." She may have been about to elaborate, but Martya approached before she could have.

Freya smiled at the Wolfess, a genuinely friendly smile. "I brought no bullets or explosions, I do believe at least half of those belonged to your daughter." She paused "But, I suppose I do at least owe you some form of an explanation." She said as she wrote down some measurements in a notebook, and adjusted the surveying equipment. "Like I said earlier, I'm after a very dangerous object from my own past. It may or may not rest in this area, and the site I'm looking for is likely not a part of your dig, depending on how much area you've claimed." Her tones were calm and friendly as she spoke. She looked through the surveying equipment again, and made a couple more notes as she continued to speak. "I will be more than happy to tell you about the artifact once I have it in my possession, and you will be welcome to the rest of the site if it's not a part of what you have already claimed. If it is, then I will make the utmost effort not to disturb any of your work, were it not for the dangerous nature of the artifact, I would simply leave it to your capable hands." She took a brief look around to see if Mia was still dealing with Ivan or not before she focused her attention on the side of the mountain closest to them.

Sade

Post by Sade »

So they could be learned. The thought of Mia watching had sent chills up his spine, but this new revelation shook him to the very core. It was a strange mixture of apprehension and excitement, knowing as he did now that there may well be others in the world with these abilities using them covertly to their own gain, and knowing that he himself might aspire to learn them and do the very same thing. Reading minds would be immensely useful in business matters, but controlling minds?… If a person was so inclined, he could make himself an insurmountable force in the business world. The influence of such a person would be boundless, touching every market, every sector, crossing all borders and laws and limits as if they weren’t there. It was as frightening as it was phenomenal. Etienne was about to ask the next inevitable question, ‘can you teach me’, when the acerbic wolfess reached them and drove a stake through the conversation.

He flashed a quickly-suppressed grin after Freya’s quip about bullets and explosions. If he was more uncouth he should like to say something to the effect of ‘burn!’ But he was neither uncouth nor a child, and the situation was more complex than was given credit. “We understand how disruptive our intrusion has been,” the canine insisted, giving another go at being diplomatic or at least making things better than worse, “but Ivan was coming here regardless, and it was our intrusion and your daughter’s bullets which kept him at bay. I think it is reasonable to assume that you and your people would be in a very bad way now if we had not come. Some of your dig has been damaged by our presence in ways not easily repaired, I see that now, but at least you are alive to try.”

The canine grew quiet for a moment, thinking. He did not have Osborne’s natural people skills- that had been made so very, very clear to him today!- but he did see the value in how the tabby conducted his business and built up his contacts. “Perhaps I can help to make up for some of the damage,” he offered, spreading his hands. “My great great grandfather was stationed somewhere near here at the end of the 19th century and he brought many relics home with him. He was no scientist, but he took detailed notes and kept several journals… perhaps some of what my family has can fill in some of the holes in your archeological record? I could arrange access to his effects for you, if you think it would be helpful.”

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

The second round of diplomacy from Team Edwin had decidedly different results from the first. The crack at Martya's daughter, of course, was not appreciated. Whatever internal disputes a family may have, any outsider weighing in was likely to bring the whole clan against them. Etienne, surprisingly, was the one to save the day. The wolfess gave him a re-assessment as a fast learner, which greatly improved her estimation of his character. He'd said exactly the right thing to get on her good side.

"I would very much appreciate those records, Danke Sie. Anything else you incidentally turn up in your searches I should like to have a look at as well." She settled into the comfortable pose of the negotiator, back on firmer ground now that she was in her own element again. "I still cannot tell what is so dangerous about the artifact in question, though. I might be able to tell you a thing or two myself about it if I had some clue what you were talking about."

Mia, meanwhile, was torn. Zed wanted the artifact, and this was a likely spot to find it. She didn't want to leave the site to the Edwinians, but on the other hand, she knew that Ivan would need personal supervision until he was secured in the justice system of a stable government.
To resolve this dilemma, she put a quick call through to her contractor, and fortunately, he was available to take the call. "I see." The voice came after the commander had explained the situation. "Ivan has been a problem for us for some time... I think I should rather you take the time now to secure him. Osbourne is trying to reach me for an appointment, and I may be able to reach a separate agreement with him. In any case, there are more means of securing objects than fugitives from justice."

Mia gave sigh, but did not disagree. "Well, I'll call you when this part is resolved. Good luck with the capitalist." She cut off the call, and went into the helicopter, taking off from the site. She wondered briefly if she ought to have said good-bye to her mother, but such pleasantries were rarely exchanged between them anyhow.

~

Meanwhile, Zed's assistants had stopped stalling. A meeting was to be arranged between Osbourne and Zed in Gawain, with a rendesvous by the port warehouse district.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Freya hadn't meant her comment as a personal jab against Mia, more letting her know where she could direct her ire over bullet and explosions. With that in mind, she rolled her eyes a bit when she felt Martya bristling over the comment. Thankfully, Etienne was there to pick up the fraying threads of diplomacy and steer the wolfess in a different direction.

"Put it this way." She commented when the question of the artifact's danger came up. "If it's activated, and left to fill to capacity, the resulting blast could be measured in Kilotons, or terajoules whichever you prefer." She once again faced Martya with a smile. She highly doubted that the wolfess could tell her anything about the device that she didn't already know, except maybe it's location. "It's most often referred to as the Magicapacitor. It's an alchemical battery for arcane energy, and it was in all likely hood hidden in this vicinity around 800 years ago." As she finished her statement she went back to looking through the surveying equipment.

After a few moments, she raised her head, and looked carefully at a patch of mountainside. She tilted her head to the side for a moment before she looked at Etienne. "I apologize for the intrusion..." She spoke into Etienne's mind. "but I think we should keep this between us for now. Look through the survey equipment, there's an interesting change in the rock strata....could be our site."

The area Freya had the equipment aimed at was probably a hundred feet or so up a nearly sheer portion of the mountainside. one layer of the rock made what could easily be seen as an arch, then made a wavy descent toward the base of the mountain.

Sade

Post by Sade »

“I believe the danger has to do with how the device charges,” Etienne clarified, “the average person would not be able to tell whether the device is active or not, nor that it is accumulating energy. In fact such a person might discard it in a drawer or closet, unaware of the danger, and in doing so imperil hundreds or even thousands of people. Ms Freya knows how to handle it properly.” How recently had he fumed over Osborne’s arrangement with Freya? It felt like a long time ago now, even though it had been mere hours, maybe a day.

Speaking of the scaled one- Etienne tensed as he heard Freya’s voice reverberating in his mind. Extraordinary! He felt an overwhelming urge to do something, anything, shout out, grin excitedly, something to that effect, but he fought all that down. The dragon was trying to communicate with him in private; an excited outburst from the canine would surely draw Martya’s attention and suspicion. He managed not even to look at Freya, though he could feel himself flushing- he couldn’t help that.

“Would you mind if I had a look,” he asked politely, acting as if this were a spur of the moment request. When the dragon made way he took a moment to find the reticle on the unfamiliar piece of equipment and peered through at the cliffside. Something was definitely amiss there. It looked as if a path clung to the cliffside, ramping up towards an arch or perhaps a cave entrance, he couldn’t be sure, geology was another subject he paid little mind. Give him a network to crack or a piece of tech to analyze! He’d hardly stepped foot in an archaeologic dig before being shot at!

The canine examined the site for a scant few seconds. He briefly considered subterfuge; redirecting the survey equipment at other bits of the terrain, feigning a tourist’s clumsy stupidity to ensure Martya would not see what they’d seen if she happened to ask to look as well, but ultimately he decided against it. Instead he stood straight again looking over the instrument at the wider view of the mountain in question. Martya wasn’t stupid. Nobody present was stupid. They were all experts, and the fact that their fields of expertise didn’t overlap did not make it any more likely that any one could deceive the other for long. Attempting to do so would destroy the association they had formed today.

Etienne glanced between the two women before directing his attention back to Martya. “I’ll get in touch with my family and have them prepare our ancestor’s effects for examination. The notes and journals we can scan and email to you, but I don’t think my people back home will be willing to subject the physical artifacts to the rigors of shipment. You’ll probably have to send someone there to examine them,” in fact his relationship with his family was severely strained. He hadn’t spoken to his parents or siblings in more than a year. Still, he did not expect any trouble; they would not interfere with his dealings out of spite. “We can’t wait here any longer, though. Ivan might be out of the race, but your daughter is not, and we have no idea of the intentions of her employer.”

He and Freya split off from Martya’s dig with as little delay as decorum allowed. It was his impression that the two groups parted on neutral terms at least. He hoped they parted on good terms, he was pretty sure they did not part on hostile terms. The archeologist requested to send people with them- she had guessed easily enough that their own site was nearby when Etienne showed no interest in returning to his helicopter- but he and Freya turned her down both politely and firmly.

Now the hairless canine cast his icy blue eyes at the rugged terrain awaiting them. Hiking would be a pain, which led to the thought of how easily birds fly above all this stoney mess, which led inevitably to the thought of the dragon standing next to him. He felt Freya’s eyes on him and flushed. …Well… what was one more humiliation today? The canine let out a long sigh before turning to her, “I don’t suppose you can generate enough lift to carry a second person?”

———

As was so often the case, Osborne Thatcher’s mood correlated directly to his speed and altitude. Hidden as well is it was, he could feel his spirits lifting as his icon of jet-age optimism hurtled down the runway through a wake of curious reporters and journalists and in double-short time leapt into the sky. The plane had lightened with the departure of the helicopter, like a weight lifting from it’s heart, and the tabby cat even found he had to restrain himself a little lest the acceleration get away from him.

He lived for so many things; he lived for business, he lived for progress, he lived for the future; but the act of taking flight seemed such a tidy summary of it all, of what mattered to him. There was something special in the act of flying under one’s own control even if he needed fifty million dollars worth of aluminum and engines to do it. He did envy Freya’s ability to fly in only her own skin, but in a way he pitied her as well. She would never reach the speeds of his airliner, nor could she reach the same heights. Or so he assumed. The excited grin he wore every time he felt the acceleration on the runway softened. She was a real find. He felt they would become good friends and continue as such for many years.

Again he watched the skies whip past the aircraft’s cockpit windshield, looking to the future. In the immediate future awaited what would surely prove to be an interesting encounter. Who was this Zed? What manner of man was he, if he was indeed a man? What did he aspire to, what made him tick? His operative in the field seemed disconcerted by, or perhaps merely disinterested in aiding Osborne or even allowing for such a possibility. It was reasonable to assume that he and Zed’s intentions were not aligned. That was something Osborne could accept. It would not lessen the man in his eyes, not at all. But what guided that alignment? More simply put, was Zed a moral man? That was the real question…

With only the light touch of a hand to the throttle the tabby cat bent metric tons of metal to his will. He wanted answers to his questions, and those answer lay before him, in the land of Gawain. The world as he knew it had changed so much in one short day. How much would it change in the next?

———

Forty years at the helm of corporations had inured him to the sometimes off-putting locations certain types of individuals chose for meetings. One might expect ‘shit to go down’ in a warehouse district after watching the types of low-brow action movies popular in the 21st century. In fact one might assume nothing else could possibly occur in such a place. After all, what else was a warehouse district for than hosting criminal gangs, or illegal fighting matches whose first rule is to never speak of the illegal fighting matches, or super-villainous crime lords concocting evil new narcotic drugs. In fact, a warehouse district was simply a warehouse district; it was merely a place of business common throughout the world where the goods of the world come together for international shipping or are staged for delivery to retail outlets. Places like this were the vital backbone of the global economy, and they often had the security to match.

He’d changed into a sharply cut and tailored business suit, yet he arrived in a taxi of all things. This was intentional on his part, as so much of what he did was. He tipped the driver and send him on his way. The tabby cat straightened his suit jacket with an easy tug and casually examined his surroundings. The state of this industrial center was middling as far as these things went. If it had been an Odell installation he should like to see it a little better maintained.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Martya gave a pleased, business-like nod to Etienne as he discussed arrangements for her to get access to the notes and artifacts of his family. "Ideally, I should like to go there myself; from what I gather, events will leave me enough time to do sufficient work on this site before then."

She followed Freya's line of sight, noting the area in which they would be searching. "Out of family loyalty, I will not wish you good luck. I will, however, wish you safe travels." The wolfess turned away as the pair left, thinking over what they had said about the artifact. She herself was no physicist, but she was at least familiar with the laws of thermodynamics. If a device gathered energy, all that energy had to come from somewhere. If it was enough energy for an explosion, and could gather it in the dark, it wasn't some ancient solar panel. That left chemical and nuclear energy, neither of which were 'gathered' from the outside of any device, but generated internally from fuel.

*It doesn't make scientific sense. At least, not in the terms of the physics I know.* That left open the disturbing possibility of magic, or a science so advanced to be indistinguishable from it. The idea itself repulsed the archaeologist, never mind the possibilities and dangers of the device itself. And with her daughter mixed up in all of this... not good.

~

Oddly enough, while there was a sense that many crazy things went down in a warehouse district, very few furs would actually go and look for them. Which, ironically, made it a perfect place for anyfur who actually wanted to hide dealings, or at least make them non-obvious.

There was, waiting for Osbourne when he arrived, a large black Mercedez-Benz, of the sort usually driven by diplomats, with the chauffer outside, ready to open the door for the businessman. "He is inside, waiting for you, sir." The ferret intoned, in the slightly off-key manner of the deaf. He opened the rear door as the feline entered, revealing a shrouded figure inside, wearing what appeared to be a judge's robe with a hood, from which the tip of a reptilian snout could be seen.

After their passenger was secure inside, the car slowly started off onto the roads, and the figure spoke. "Vehicles are often more useful for private conversations than buildings, as I'm sure you are aware. I think we shall be discussing many things which we should wish no one else to hear, and I want to be able to make it safe to be as open with each other as possible. I suppose that I shall begin with my real name..."

He turned to face Osbourne, pulling the hood back. The elegant features of a dragon emerged into the light from the tinted windows, alabaster white and jet black scales glinting and gleaming. "I am Zechariah Vesperocci, the last Dragon of the West."