Never Kick a Drunk on a Hot Day

This is where all of the medieval Maze role-plays are archived.
DevilMako
Duke
Duke

Post by DevilMako »

I come from the Temple of the Jade Lotus. I am from Yamaha. I have come here to learn about the peoples of the world. And to learn about the world outside the temple. I have travled much but fear I still lack much wisdome."
The Wisest words I ever heard were from Jimmy Buffet " I am growing Older but not up" Live life like that and the fun never ends.

Sponsor

Lijabo
Assassin
Assassin

Post by Lijabo »

Caster was about to write something in response to Kuma's compliment when several figures came trudging through the doors. Turning to eye the knew arrivals, he was elated to see his brother, and not at all surprised to see the burden he carried.

Duke, for his part, was delighted to find Caster all right. Nodding at his brother Duke set the otter down at an empty table and bounded over, tightly embracing his brother in a hug that almost rivaled Kuma's.

Pulling away, Duke stared at Caster. "I thought we had agreed that you were going to wait for me."

-Things happened. What kept you?- Caster replied by means of his paws, using them to form words and signs at a speed that almost made them appear a blur to the untrained eye.

-I had trouble finding a ship, then I ran into trouble on the way back.- Duke replied, paws moving just as fast. The two brothers seated themselves at the table, and suddenly found a feline sitting between them.

"Right then, you offered me a drink for the services. I wouldn't mind a fuzzy navel myself. And a side of haddock with potato wedges, though the food I can pay for myself."

"You heard the lady," Duke grinned at the barmaid who was looking rather flustered judging by the way she kept glancing between them and two very-unconscious sailors. "And I'll just have a mug of horchata. And send some over to my two pals over there," he added, motioning to the otters.

As the barmaid strode purposefully away, Duke turned back to the conversation, listening as Kuma finished his statement. "Kuma, eh? Nice to meet you. I'm Duke. Thanks for taking care of my brother for me."
Last edited by Lijabo on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Life + Universe + Everything = 42

I am what I am
Neither what which I once was
Nor what that I'll be[/center]

Indrick151
King
King
Species: Wolf
Location: Before the altar, below the earth, above the heavens

Post by Indrick151 »

Kenneth moved over to the table where the others were sitting, now there were quite a few of them here, he wandered over and pulled up a chair. He watched as the brothers were reunited and the feline asked for a drink and some food. Well seems like everything is over here Kenneth thought to himself.

“Well seeing as though I helped your brother out before I think there’s a slight question of payment, since nothing in this world comes for free” Kenneth said to Duke, seeing as though Caster couldn't talk to him directly.
Kenneth didn’t like the idea of killing the cheerful mood by being businesslike, but he knew that he had to get what he deserved before Caster and Duke went their own way, otherwise he’d never get his compensation for helping them, he’d helped others out in the past and every time they seemed to think that he’d help them without a reward. Yes the initial idea might be selfless but the fact is, there needs to be some sort of reward in the end to make the effort worthwhile. Pure altruism doesn’t help one’s survival in the world, thats why the powerful and wealthy are the only ones who get to exercise these noble ideals.
'reality is bending and screwing me over but at least it has decency' - Jackie twisting my words.

'In a war in heaven, Angels fall first'

[url=http://indrick.mypersonality.info][img]http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/17/175572.png[/img][/url]

Lijabo
Assassin
Assassin

Post by Lijabo »

Duke stared at the hulking wolf with something akin to incredulity. "I'm sorry? And just how did you help my brother?" The flying squirrel, eyebrows raised, was completely unintimidated by the wolf's size. A light tapping on the table brought his attention back to Caster.

-It's alright,- the hooded squirrel signed. -He's one of the things that happened. Some drunk was messing with me, and he helped.-

-And did you really need the help?-

-Not really,- Caster smiled. -But it wasn't unappreciated.-

Duke growled and turned to Kenneth, lips pursed. He appeared to be appraising the wolf. "Very well then, sir. How much are you asking for?"

I am what I am

Indrick151
King
King

Post by Indrick151 »

Kenneth wasn’t especially pleased with the overly rude nature of this squirrel, he had helped his brother out, and he certainly didn’t appreciate the way Duke was taking it. And what was with all the weird hand movements between the two of them?
Oh well, better try and not ask for too much, he carefully considered what was an acceptable amount. Actually wait a moment, these guys were going to Edwin, and well, the work here in Maze wasn’t really all that great so maybe a new country, new opportunities, now where to get the money for the passage, his last job had defaulted and refused to pay him, leaving him just about broke, half the reason why Kenneth had been a bit annoyed today.

“Simple really, I would like about forty gold pieces, to cover travel expenses” Kenneth was sure that wasn’t too much to ask for preventing Caster from being beaten to a pulp.
'reality is bending and screwing me over but at least it has decency' - Jackie twisting my words.

[url=http://indrick.mypersonality.info][img]http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/17/175572.png[/img][/url]

DevilMako
Duke
Duke

Post by DevilMako »

KUma shook his head. "One does not help others for payment. One helps others because it is the right thing to do. If you are in need of money I shall give you the forty peices. But you shall never obtain peace by such methods." With that Kuma finished his meal/ He had said what he needed to say to the wolf. He reached into his pouch and pulled out the money. Dropping it at the wolves hands. Kuma sighed and looked around the table. Today had been a rather interesting day.
The Wisest words I ever heard were from Jimmy Buffet " I am growing Older but not up" Live life like that and the fun never ends.

Lijabo
Assassin
Assassin

Post by Lijabo »

Duke's eyes bulged. "Forty pieces of gold?! That's-"

He was cut off by Kuma's calm words. Watching in disbelief as the bear handed over the coins - perfectly good coins that could have been put to much better use - Duke ran a distraught paw through the short fur on his head. "Well how do you like that," he muttered.

Caster hid a smile and sipped his water. His brother always had been careful with money. Not a bad trait, he supposed idly.

At that moment, the food and drink arrived. Paying for the drinks, Duke took a drink from his mug, savoring the cold rice milk. Being inside was so much nicer than spending time outside. Glancing reflectively at both Kuma and Kenneth, he frowned. He really didn't appreciate either of them butting in on his business.

I am what I am

Indrick151
King
King

Post by Indrick151 »

Kenneth noticed the food arrive for the others, however he hadn't ordered any, and having been paid, albeit by an altruistic monk, he was ready to be on his way. He didn't quite have the patience for this kind of naivety, and he didn't especially like this squirrel, Duke, he also didn't fail to notice Duke's frown towards him. He also couldn't stand Kuma, helping others for no payment, only someone hidden away from reality could say something like that, how else is one to survive if they don't have money?

"Farewell Duke, Caster, Kuma and milady" He said to the companions at the table, "it seems that our business is finished, and I can tell that I am not needed here" with that Kenneth turned and walked out of the tavern, heading for the docks.

DevilMako
Duke
Duke

Post by DevilMako »

"I wish you great success on your journey. I would have enjoyed your company but see you still have yet to let go of illusions. I hope you find your peace out there, and that you can free yourself from your bonds. Remember no matter what you face out there it is not the end. This is mearly one time on the wheel. You have many reincarnations to get it right."

Lijabo
Assassin
Assassin

Post by Lijabo »

Caster wanted to call out to Indrick, but unfortunately, his mangled throat prevented him from doing that. And any aspirations he might have harbored of hobbling after the wolf were squelched by the fact that he was sandwiched in by both Mau and Kuma. Watching the wolf trundle outside, the squirrel sighed and sipped his water.

-You didn't have to be so rude to him,- he signed to Duke. -Did you get a ship?-

-Yes. It leaves in about an hour.-

-Well, I think I should like to get there a bit early to be on the safe side.-

-Very well.- Duke drained his mug, banged it onto the table with a satisfied sigh, pushed his chair back, and stood up. "Well, it was a pleasure meeting you both," he grinned, looking at Kuma and Mau. "But I think Caster and I should make our way to our ship."

Would you care to join us? Caster asked of Kuma, by way of writing.

I am what I am

DevilMako
Duke
Duke

Post by DevilMako »

It would be an honor. And with the rate you and your brother seem to get in trouble. I shall never be lacking in a time for practice. But most of all I would hate to miss the chance to have such wonderful conversations.