Quest of the Penguin from Beyond [Comprehension]

Feila's major world powers are vying for colonial possessions, while at home powerful monarchies view with revolutionary movements unleashed by the Enlightenment. Wars are fought with musket and cannon; peace is clogged with endless frills. Edwin, Domus, Maze and Gawain are all constantly at war, with the Territory of the Ravens in between them. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.

Moderator: JamesG

Larcen
Duke
Duke
Species: Coyote

Quest of the Penguin from Beyond [Comprehension]

Post by Larcen »

There were many things to be said about Captain Spookear LaTrans. And to hear them, rather than have me spell the legends out, let us go to the nearest Domish port, and the tavern therein. There, we shall listen in on the banter around a table beseated with old sea paws, the treacherous, superstitious piratey sort. The buzz and rumors had turned to the good Cap'n on account of seeing his Xebec, the Esprit du Rousette moored in the harbor, hence our eavesdropping.

"They say he got that red velvet jacket o' his from the Marquis de Carabas, by beatin' 'im in a card game...an' the Marquis cheated!"
"They say he's got a third eye a'hind that ponytail o' his, an' that's how he does it."
"I heared he's got a wee bit o' bat blood in him."
"Aye, an' he's got webbed paws an' armpits, he has."
"That'd explain it...there's tell of a kind of bat what can walk through walls an' turn invisible to the eye. Ghost bats, they be called...mayhap that be the kind what he's got."

Now of course, it would be impossible (or at least take way more effort than this writer cares to expend) to transcribe all of the banter in the packed and well-stocked tavern, but that should give anyone a taste of the subject of the day. The buzz and rumors had turned to the good Cap'n on account of seeing his Xebec, the Esprit du Rousette moored in the harbor.

Presently, however, Cap'n LaTrans burst in the door--he had stepped on it in just such fashion as to have it fling open--and stood there with the sinking sun behind him, the train of his red velvet overcoat beset with shiny gold buttons all the way down billowing behind him in the sea breeze. A good legendary captain had to make a grand entrance, no?

"Aye lads," the coyote called with a theatrical wave of his arm, "Some o' the things ye were sayin' be true, and some be not!" He strode in long steps toward the bar. "But I'll not be tellin' ye which!" he said with a wink. And it was so. But get to know him, and the true facts might be revealed. Might be. Facts to be obtained at first glance though, there were plenty of. He stood a stately five feet, ten inches or so, had oversized upper canines that stuck about an inch below his jaw line, and was of a lanky, yet dashing physique. Well groomed, he still had his own headfur, believe it or not. And if his actions hadn't sold it, the frilled front of his shirt, crimson sash, high black boots, neatly combed whiskers, and gold earring on his slightly over-endowed left ear might tell you he had a flair for the dramatic as well, if not simply an unusually strong taste of fashion for his profession.

But now the thing that had most of the patrons perplexed and presently dumbfounded was, of course, how on Feila had he known what they were saying? Most of the comments had been at a mere mutter, not to extend past the ears around the respective table. Hence had the eccentric coyote earned the name Spookear, for he seemed to hear only things a ghost hiding in the room might.

But another thing he had a taste for good rum. "What takes it to get a pint in this establishment?" he called to the bartender, a rat as hulking as a wharf rat could be. "An' wot brings you here, LaTrans?" the rodent sneered. "My own business brings me here, good vermin! Mind it I shall, and t'would be wise ye do the same," he countered, still in that hearty, bellowing tone. But as he looked over the muttering crowd, Spookear the pirate caught sight of a peculiar patron perchance of penguin persuasion. He cocked his head to the side. What was a fowl such as that doing in waters so far north? "Oh and bartender, a pint for yonder beaked one," he called.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

You say 'fundamentalist' like it's a bad thing. X3
Sponsor

Pudding
Rogue
Rogue
Species: Penguin

Re: Quest of the Penguin from Beyond [Comprehension]

Post by Pudding »

Seated at the back of the tavern, was a penguin. Her stature was held at a height of 5'4''. She was just as fluffy as you might expect a penguin to be in appearance, meaning she was a bit on the meaty side. Yet, she was more hourglass shaped than you would expect a penguin to be. She liked going outside of what people would expect from either a pirate or a penguin, while still being just exactly what you'd expect at the same time. She liked holding an element of surprise, and unleashing it at just the right moment to receive the exact reaction she searched for. It was her own personal form of entertainment throwing the people around her off guard however she could.

Capt'n by her own rights, but a pirate of another sort, her own arrival had been talk of this tavern not that long ago. Her crash landing had been hard to avoid noticing. Her ship was not one that floated in the water, nor one that could travel well through the clouds in the sky; hers was a ship that sailed through the vast space beyond the sky. Until a few months ago, she had been the captain of a single ship within a fleet of pirates who also happened to be penguins. They had not pillaged shoreline cities and villages. No, they had pillaged entire planets to get the supplies they needed or wanted. Knowing her, you would think she was too sweet, too kind, and too cute to be sinister, or cruel. Knowing her better, you knew she was quite capable and well trained with wielding bladed and fiery weaponry. Her skills in hand-to-hand combat were as good as any other pirate captain.

Talk in the tavern had at LaTrans' arrival, had been instigated this day by this curious penguin from beyond as it was she who first inquired about the Captain of the contraption ported up in the harbor. As soon as her inquiry was made the rumors had started flying from all over the tavern. It had seemed as though everyone in that establishment had a comment to make. Now Capt'n LaTrans stood at the entrance of the tavern. When he spoke, she listened just as intently and with just as much intrigue as she had listened to the rumors. She observed every step he took, every gesture of his hand, every flicker of a twitch in his facial features. She was out to study this individual, though she did not yet no why.
mmm.... delicious pudding....
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

A she-rat presently came over with a frothy pint of the local specialty and set it down at the penguin's table. "Compliments o' the coyote, miss," she said, rolling her eyes a little after she turned her back. Clearly the chunky sea-hag of a rat was unimpressed with the Cap'n. She may have been the barkeep's daughter, but yeesh, that didn't make her pretty, in body, face, nor disposition.

Anyway, at present, Captain LaTrans stepped over to a table near the peculiar penguin and took his seat, as his own drink was brought to him. General pirate's code stated that to just sit down at another pirate's table without invitation, heck even to ask like some lad at a lunch table, risked a blade to the everything. As Cap'n LaTrans licked the foam from his whiskers, he regarded the penguin out of the corner of his eye. "I can't say I've met an antarctic bird this far from the place, lassie. What brings ye to warmer waters?" he asked, moving his paw within reflex distance of his schianova, in case this one was less than conversational.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

Pudding
Rogue
Rogue

Post by Pudding »

Bemused by the coyote's gumption, and flattered by his attention, as any self-loving attention wench of a female might be; the odd penguin smirked a sly mischievous smirk as she replied. "Crash landing." She decided to wait for a formal request for an elaboration before explaining she was not from the arctic or antarctic of this planet, but from the vast space beyond this world that exists between planets, and galaxies. "Ya got a lot o' gumption sittin' 'ere uninvited," Her smirk remaining. She also awaited a formal request for her name before providing one. She hoped the coyote would hold off on that one for a while, as she enjoyed the upper hand and mysteriousness she held for the moment. Her gaze stayed upon the coyote watching his every movement, but she could sense motion behind her. Her reach subtly inched towards her swords.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

Now the problem with coyotes is, when they get puzzled with something, all primary brainpower is diverted to said puzzle, and any awareness of environment pretty much shuts down. They're actually kinda stupid that way. At least they make up for it with adaptability. At any rate, Spookear was entirely oblivious to that which had drawn the penguin to her swords.

What had him so caught? The words she had said made no sense. Not that any of them were unfamiliar, but the syntax was altogether foreign. Crashing, he knew (not from firstpaw experience, of course!). Landing, he knew (from firstpaw experience, of course). But "Crash-landing, ye say?" His whiskers twitched in puzzlement. "I suppose ye mean having run aground, crashing against the reef or the harbor, yea? But neither the harbor nor the rocks bear mark of shipwreck." Running aground, even if the ship sank, would bear some mark of destruction, even a set of masts sticking out of the water yet. Events like that took days to clear, if not weeks. So what in the crab crusted coasts of Kahun was she talking about?! This was gonna eat at him for weeks.

Pudding
Rogue
Rogue

Post by Pudding »

"Aye, a crash landing," She'd been hoping he would be confused about the term's meaning and ask her about it. "The harbor, nor rocks about it would bear any marks or evidence of my wreckage. My ship 'tis not one that sails upon the water." As she spoke this last bit she had drawn her swords which immediately lit afire when she turned to face whomever was attempting to sneak up on her. Her blades were crossed like a pair of flaming scissors perched at either side of the stalker's neck. "Oh... it's you. Ye ought to know better than to sneak up on a blade happy pirate." The penguin put her swords away and in the process of doing so their flames just vanished from the blades.

Standing in front of her was a female wolf cub that was rapidly approaching her adult years. This wolf was the first to appear at the site of the penguin's crash landing. Intrigued by the penguin's ship, clothes, and stories this young wolf had requested to become a part of the penguin's crew and to be given a pirate's name. However, this the penguin pirate captain had not yet thought of a name for this eager young pup. For now the captain, just called her Child. "Child, I'd like ye to meet Capt'n LaTrans. Seems he's rather imfamous in these parts, and ya've not mentioned him for a bit in any of yer stories about the happenings here. No matter... sit learn how a couple of Capt'ns converse" The pup sat dressed in boys' trousers and a floofy shirt that belonged to her brother. She was medium-sized canine, smaller and more slender than the the penguin. She had a smooth reddish coat that reminded the penguin of dried blood. The young pup also had a silver-grey forehead, darker marks on white legs and a cream colored underbelly. She carried no weapons, was untrained, had never stepped foot on any kind of ship, and couldn't tell port from starboard. Oh, but she was willing to learn and eager to get started, so when her Capt'n said sit and learn... she intended to do just that.

The two captains and a trainee were now all gathered around that back wall tavern table seemingly studying each other. An heir of intrigue permeated that small tavern. Something big was about to happen, everyone present could feel it, but nobody could tell what.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

Now when it came to sea furs, they were of course a superstitious bunch. She-pirates alone were bad luck. But when this penguin drew two swords of fire, the bar went crazy. Oaths to the general effect of "By Captain Claw's whiskers, the legends be true!" were uttered, and the more cowardly furs bottlenecked at the door, trying to escape. A few of the heavily inebriated sea dogs (and sea cats, sea otters, sea lizards, etc) remained, as did the unshakably cynical rat staff; nothing could surprise them, for it had to have been merely a trick of the eye. Our coyote remained as well, since he was in striking distance and thought it best to not...move...an...inch. Clearly the frozen bird was a hot type. Lesson learned! Best not to ask about those swords juuuust yet.

When the blades were again sheathed, Cap'n LaTrans tried to play it cool. A stranger knowing his name was no shock to the teensy bit egomaniacal coyote, so he shrugged that detail off. Ok first a quick formality, then back to that infernal confusion she just kept producing. "A pleasure to meet ye, young lassie," LaTrans said, tipping his black, feather-trimmed hat. "But now my dear bird, explain for me this nonsense about a ship what sails not on the sea. What, have ye bolted a mast to a carriage and sailed on land? What else be there?" Leave it to the unsinkable curiosity of the caramel-colored canines to bring things back to the puzzle at hand, even among not one, but two weapons of lore. There were too many questions to ask, and they had to be taken one at a time.

Pudding
Rogue
Rogue

Post by Pudding »

The penguin decided to holster her inquiry about these legends she'd just heard exclaims of. For how she had a question of her own to answer. One she had been hoping the Capt'n would ask. "I not be sailin' by land either, nor through the clouds in the sky as the other winged foul do. My ship not be like any other for it sails seas of space that lay between the worlds. From one planet ta the next dost mine journeys lead,-"

"She sails between the stars! My capt'n's from outer space!!!"

The penguin scowls slamming a dagger into the table, "Hold thy tongue Child or lose it! Have ya no fineness nor tact?! Ya may have heard this story before, but 'tis still I who tells it!!!" The penguin captain was obviously annoyed by the interruption, but as she calmed down she continued her story. "From one planet ta the next dost mine journeys lead, my battles have been fought above, below and to the sides of entire worlds. Twas a great battle with an old foe that caused my ship to crash a few moon cycles ago."
Last edited by Pudding on Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

Like a lantern being snuffed out, so went the spark from Cap'n LaTrans' brain. He sorta just checked out there for a minute. Outer what? Rebooting...stars. He knew what stars were. They moved around the sky and told you where you were. Yes. That made sense. The extinguished kiln of Spookear's brain was slowly warming back up. Even so, no sense was being made. None of the possibilities he could come up with matched what the penguin was saying, except...no, it was nonsense. Sailing around between the stars, planets--he only had a vague understanding of planets, not being much of an astronomer--and fighting above and around worlds? The coals just weren't hot.

But then the bird's outburst snapped everything back into focus. Albeit a skewed focus, but focus. She was a fiery one, to say the least, and that did hoist the coyote's eyebrow, but naaah. "Weeeeeell, seeing as how I'm a captain locked fast to the land and water and all, I fear I'll be of little use to ye, lass." He stood up and bowed politely, all the while thinking must get out of here FAST. Well, not fast. Never knew how these types viewed fleeing for all heck. He leaned back and turned on his heel, winding up a very long stride to absquatulate in the fewest steps possible.

Pudding
Rogue
Rogue

Post by Pudding »

Removing her dagger from the table, the penguin Captain's smirk returned as she leaned back in her seat cleaning the sawdust from her her dagger as she spoke. "Why LaTrans. I'm suprised at ya, from the tales I've heard told today, an' the display of authority and bravery I saw from ya just few moments ago I thought ya'd be up for new and glorious adventures. As it turns out ya might be of some use to me after all. My ship is in need of dire need of repairs. Unfortunately the tools and goods I be needin' to fix it do not yet exist on this planet, meaning I'll need to acquaint myself with this world's geography an' resources. Presently ya have mode of transportation, which I need. An' I have things aboard the wreckage of mine ship the like of which ya've only ever heard tales of. Speaking of which," the penguin leaned closer, putting her dagger away, "perhaps ya might in form me of these legends I heard spoke of when I'd had my swords unsheathed?"

The young wolf pup sat timidly in her seat refraining from speaking again. She new the legends about those flaming swords, but she was told to hold her tongue. She feared her captain and LaTrans, she would not be speaking out of turn again. She just sat, watched, and waited for orders.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

Inside the clockwork of Cap'n LaTrans' brain, a tiny coyote automaton clacked and whirred at a tiny desk. Meanwhile, the real coyote weighed his options. Run, and be free and safe. She was probably leading him on some manner of mad goose chase. Or he could listen to the penguin. If he had only heard tales of these alleged things, then what had the collector heard of them? And if they were rare to a collector, they might be valuable to a collector. After all, one had to make a living, right? With regard to acquainting with resources and geography, why, that was merely sailing around, sightseeing. But...?

The automaton in his head clacked about and finally removed its pen from the paper. In an ornate script, with fancy little embellishments swirling about its message, it had written two words:

~ DO IT! ~

That was all he needed. Curiosity and greed had gotten the better of him, and when those two team up, a body will do strange things. LaTrans brushed his coat off, straightening out the folds--that was all he had been doing, of course, dear bird...that and nothing more--and returned nonchalantly to his seat. "P'raps I've been a mite too hasty. Of course, given the nature of familiarizing oneself with the gifts contained in this world, a captain of a xebec would certainly require payment. A ship requires naught but a wind to drive her, but the captain leadin' her, aye, they run on quite a different force, if ye know what I mean." Now downplay the money, good coyote, and keep her interested.

"Now these legends," he said with a dismissive wave of the paw. He continued, in a mocking voice that suggested the mere retelling itself was a wearying task, "they be not worth yer while, tales regarding the storied Edwinish Captain Nathaniel Joseph Claw, who, among other folly attributed he, was fabled the possession of a sword emitting fire, not unlike yer own. Aye, but any of sound mind know that his story be naught but humbug." He snorted, waving it off. Clearly the cap'n had little to do with legends, though he had kept himself going on some of them, assisting eggheads on their quests to find the famous Blue Carbuncle or the Johnny of the Lamp. Most they were to him was a means of supporting his tastes in food and shiny things.

"But now o'course, as we see here, your own blades be the real thing. And for the right compensation, lass, I'd be more than happy to assist ye in seeking out yer ship and whatever you need to get back to the stars," he said, doffing his hat cordially. "Captain Harold Spookear LaTrans, at yer service--once we discuss compensation, lass."

Pudding
Rogue
Rogue

Post by Pudding »

The bird had him caught. She'd hoped he'd be enticed by the prospect of things from out of this world. She didn't really know if he'd heard of some of the other gadgets, gizmos, and weapons on her her ship. But if her swords were legendary here, there was a chance some of her other things might have some legends about them too... if not, they will soon. right now she had a price to haggle and items to spare. "Ahhh... the price, 'twould ask ya to name yers, but ya not yet know what I've got to offer ya. Now, what is it ya value? What 'twould serve some purpose to ya?" She enjoyed the moments of shock and aw she elicited on occasion. Speaking of such moments, she realized the Ol' Spookear still had not inquired about her name, she hold he would ask soon just not until after they'd left the tavern. She also hoped her new young apprentice didn't let her tongue fly loose again by giving away her name too soon. The penguin knew her her name was strange, even by her species' standards and the world she came from it it was a strange name. Her parents had a sick sense of humor.
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

Now for these kinds of situations, LaTrans usually had a devilishly clever strategy. Rather than name a price that would usually sound too exorbitant for the average wild goose-chaser, LaTrans usually made his living (and a comfortable one at that) by suggesting that the client merely pay the crew's expenses. A fee of gold would be used toward that purpose anyway, so why not just foot the bill instead of pay too much? That was how it was laid out in theory, anyway, and all he had to do was make sure to treat himself and his crew to the very best after the contract was made, and in that manner recover for himself quite an unbalanced deal, and one in his favor. Usually plenty of silver-tongued double talk was involved.

This time, however, the coyote was half flummoxed. To be fair, he had been flummoxed ever since seeing the penguin. But hey, come on. You see two fiery blades, and all of a sudden the possibilities go right off their rockers and into the sea. BLAST. He still wanted to make sure this endeavor was a profitable one that kept him in comfort, at any rate. Coyotes at heart be decadents, of course. Any luxury they can afford, they go for. But the coyote's legendary ill fortune--the reason few of them go to sea and prefer the driest, most solid land they can get under their paws--ordinarily kept them at bay. But for LaTrans, as many seafurs knew, luck took a different turn with him. A turn that wasn't just good, it was plain dumb sometimes, as if Luck personified had forgotten the species it was dealing with.

Getting back to our story, LaTrans steepled his fingers, in a peculiar manner that kept them tight against one another. "Now, lassie, I dinn'a doubt ye, but to be sure, it takes a few resources to keep a ship afloat and all moving in the same direction. So! What I propose to ye, would be to merely fund the workings of the ship; I be not greedy [there was a good lie] unlike most of me kin, an' so will request only that, that ye fund the voyage, crew and expenses, of which there ought to be few, from my projections (since I be the one who's spent the most time observing our consumption). We run a skeleton crew; optimized it are to keep 'er going fast as she is able, but consuming the fewest provisions by keepin' the head count low. Therefore, ye have little to worry about regardin' that investment. Since like ye said, ideas I have none regarding the bounty ye have in store aboard yer lost vessel, we shall save divisions of the spoils for later, and to be honorable, I'll even adjust for what ye paid. Fair?" he asked, smiling and extending a paw to shake. The fingers of said paw were webbed. Character Legend 1 fulfilled.

Pudding
Rogue
Rogue

Post by Pudding »

Now the penguin, in her brief few months here in this particular area of land, had of course plundered, smooth talked, and otherwise shennagled her way into some pretty good spoils of what has only been the beginning of her Feilian adventures. She knew she was capable of finding her way into more adventure finance funding if need be so she had no problem agreeing to LaTrans' proposal. "Ya've got yerself a deal LaTrans." She patted her head and each side of her chest near her shoulders prior to extending her flipper for LaTrans to shake it as was custom where she came from when sealing a deal. She'd learned recently that this action seemed odd to the people here, so she made a note to do it anyway for the reaction and entertainment's sake. "Mind ye the child comes as well. She's still in training and not but a good hearty adventure be best for training new recruits. Learn as ya go, and ya never forget."
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

A most peculiar slapping gesture indeed, this penguin had made. But the concept of grasping and shaking one's paw was not altogether unfamiliar to canines, so Spookear took her flipper--okay yeah, shaking one of those was kind of strange. He considered kissing it, but nay, this was a business contract, and so he shook. "A deal it be," he said, trying not to appear too awkward. After lapping the last remaining drops of brew from the bottom of his tankard, Spookear peered down it with one eye, making darn sure it was empty.

"If that be all, shall we then be off to yon market for supplies? The crew usually stocks the hold when we get here on my orders, but be there aught which ye need afore we shove off?" LaTrans asked, rising to depart.