The road less traveled (Open)

This is where all of the medieval Arctic Islands role-plays are archived.
zakorath
Duke
Species: Raccoon
Great Britain

The road less traveled (Open)

Post by zakorath » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:17 pm

(OOC - As the title would suggest, this is a travelling RP, so I'm looking for a wanderer perhaps.)

The sun was high over the woods, and a pile of snow stood up to greet it. The snow slid off the back of a large, heavy set polar bear. He looked around and walked to a second pile of snow. This he brushed off to reveal an intricately carved iron pole. He pulled it and a large warhammer came from beneath the snowdrift. Lifting it in one hand, he placed the head over his shoulder, and looked to the sun.

Judging by the snowfall, Salvidor guessed that he must have been asleep for at least a week. Judging by the height of the sun he guessed it was around lunch time. His timekeeping consisted of how long it was until his next meal. Setting off in search of food, he saw a figure sat by a campfire. There was a large drop off a rock face between him and them, but he decided it was quicker than finding another route down, so simply jumped from the top. He landed heavily on his feet at the bottom, with easily enough noise to alert the other figure of his presence.

Sponsor

Bigfox3
God
Species: Fennec Fox
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:25 pm

You can bet that Toyomi noticed a thump that big. He was home, visiting Stavanger for his own reasons, but he was getting itchy feet once again. Of course, those same feet were about five feet in the air from the sudden disturbance, but he quickly regained himself to see who'd made the disturbance. "Greetings, friend!" he said, still trying to recover his composure, remembering that the season's change would mean that the bears of the region would be awakening about now. Knowing that food would be a top priority, and considering how close to town they were, he had no trouble in offering: "I'm sure food must be a top priority for you right now. I've had my fill, so please feel free to join me!" He gestured to the large bowl of stew over the fire.
The Dessert War never happened, but I'm deluded enough that I've convinced myself I already won. :3

My Character Library
Click here to see my Deviantart page!

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
'SPAMMA TANK' GAMMA Created by Shade
Advanced AI Tank

Big's quick link to the IRC chat box for those who can never find the thing, like me! 8D

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:08 am

Salvidor was glad the fox was offering without any incentive. "Thanks. It's good to meet a kind-hearted soul out here. The name's Salvidor, by the way." He said, and stood his hammer on it's head beside the fire. He picked up a fallen tree and dragged it to the fire to sit on.

While eating the stew, he thought about the rarity of meeting another fur at all in the cold of the woods. "What brings you this way?" He asked trying not to scare the small creature. His size often scared other furs, but he was a gentle soul, and would never harm another living thing without a reason.

Bigfox3
God
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Toyomi was glad the bear wasn't hostile, and he immediately relaxed once again. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Salvidor. My name's Toyomi. I'm actually a traveler, and a thief for hire with Robin Hood ideals. My hometown Stavanger is just east of here, and I was actually stopping at home for a visit." He didn't embellish much further than that, unsure of whether or not the bear would appreciate him detailing the reasons, all of them personal.
The Dessert War never happened, but I'm deluded enough that I've convinced myself I already won. :3

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank

Big's quick link to the IRC chat box for those who can never find the thing, like me! 8D

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Salvidor was happy to listen; it was one of the things he did well. A traveller could be useful to him, since he was planning on getting away from here someday. He finished the meal, and decided he ought to join the traveler. "Could you use another pair of paws on your travels. I'm good with metalwork, and people are usually safer around me." He said trying to make himself sound useful to Toyomi. He stood up, and walked over to where his hammer was stood. Picking it up, he once again slung the head over his shoulder; it was as much to show off his strength, as for necessity of carrying it. His hammer was one of his few possessions, and was certainly his most important. he had made it himself, and had carved the inscription into the handle. It had one large square end to the head, and a downward curving spike on the other. he used it in battle, for work, and sometimes, for fun.

Bigfox3
God
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:31 pm

Toyomi was genuinely impressed with the bear strength, and was quick to agree to letting him travel with him. "I suppose if you're interested, I was planning on heading back to the mainland to attend the Scarborough Faire this year. Maybe you could set up a stand to sell some wares while we're there." He didn't plan on telling the bear this just yet, but he'd managed to become a hit at the last Faire as a freelance dancer, to supplement his other current choice of work. "I'll need to stop back in town to pick some things up and say goodbye to Mother once again before we leave, if that's alright."

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:00 pm

Salvador's eyes lit up, and a smile spread across his face at the mention of mainland. Perhaps his only chance to leave the Arctic Islands, he wasn't going too pass up the oppertunity. He extended his free paw to Toyomi, and waited. It was in his nature to seal deals with a pawshake. "Of course I'll join you, though I know little of Scar-buruh." He didn't care what he had to do. He had to go out into the world, even if he didn't know anything about it.

Bigfox3
God
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:29 pm

Toyomi recognized the handshake for what it was, and returned it as well as his small 5'6" frame could. "You won't be sorry. It's literally the epitome of culture today," and Toyomi continued on like this for a time while he packed his things away and took care of the fire. The temperature difference would've been immediately noticeable to any other fur, but the two arctic furrs didn't seem to notice as they immediately began the trek back to Stavanger and Toyomi's home.

Their return wasn't greeted as Toyomi expected. Normally Mrs. Nashahime was near the window of their home, and could see Toyomi from miles away. She didn't always enjoy Toyomi travelling so much abroad, but then she also understood that he got that from his late father, whom she loved so dearly. Therefore she was accustomed to waiting, knowing full well that Toyomi also had her case of homesickness and would show up when she least expected it. She normally had something warm prepared by the time he showed up, but that wasn't the case today.

"Mother?" Toyomi opened the door to their home and invited Salvador in, even though the door was a tight squeeze for him. He heard sobbing coming from the back of the den, and found her squeezed tight into a ball. "Mother!" he went over to her and put a hand on her shoulder. "What happened?" he asked. She'd jumped at his touch earlier. After clearing her eyes, she looked up at him and muttered, "Miyoto." Toyomi didn't register this. "What?" he asked again. "Your brother... Miyoto... he was here..." she said.

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:18 am

The walk was long, but mostly flat ground, and the snow made the ground softer. The cold didn't seem to bother either of them as they walked. The day was young, and the air was chilled, but arctic creatures have ways of staying warm. Eventually their walk came to an end as they reached Toyomi's house. Toyomi invited Salvador in. He had to stoop to fit through the doorway, and had to carry his hammer in behind him, but somehow he made it through. The ceilings inside were luckily high enough for him to stand fully; he's been in houses where he couldn't before.

Something was wrong, but Salvador didn't feel close enough to Toyomi, let alone his mother to do anything to help. He heard in passing something about Toyomi's brother. Something that had greatly upset his mother. Salvador had seen similar things, and quickly put a guess as to what was wrong. Toyomi's brother must have gone bad in some way; against the family, the religion, perhaps. He couldn't fathom that, but he guessed that Toyomi's brother was renegade against the family.

Bigfox3
God
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:11 pm

Toyomi had to take a moment to recover from the shock. "Miyoto...I thought he was dead..." he finally managed. "So did I, but that apparently wasn't the case," his mother responded. She noticed Salvidor standing nearby, and immediately blushed at her dissheveled state. "Excuse me, I didn't realize we had company," she feigned a slight smile and got up to fix something to get her mind off of things. Toyomi stopped her, saying, "That won't be necessary, Mother, we're going to be leaving shortly." She seemed hurt by this, which hurt Toyomi as well, but he was already starting to get antsy. "Did he tell you anything?" he asked. "He mentioned something about being sold by the bandits to another band of thieves, but I don't remember all the details since I thought he was you," she explained, "Toyomi, he looks so much like you, the only real difference being his amber eyes, just like your father... Oh, if only I hadn't sent him away..."

He looked away for a moment, and looked as if he'd made a decision. "Mother, I'll find him. I'll keep my eyes peeled, and have Salvidor here do the same. I don't know what to expect from him, but I'll try to bring him back. It's been so long since I've seen my little brother." His face was turned from them both, so his emotions were hidden from them. Moments later he returned with his travel gear and a few different bundles, two of which jangled before he stuffed them in his bag. He and his mother embraced wordlessly, and as he headed for the door, "I'll be back soon." It was his standard goodbye, and she smiled and nodded as he parted once again.

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:14 am

Salvidor stood by, feeling awkward. It felt as if he was watching what should be a private scene. He felt rude staying, but if he tried to leave he'd likely make even more of a hash of it. He simply stood complacently, and rubbed the back of his head, trying to think of something to say. He could see that Toyomi's mother was distressed when he mentioned leaving, but Salvidor was glad to be gone, although he didn't show it. He bowed as he left, and had similar troubles exiting through the small door as he did entering.

The two walked away from the house, and Salvidor was glad to be out in the snow again. He didn't know where they were going or how, but anywhere would be good for him. He'd always wanted to travel the world, alone or with a companion, it didn't much matter to him. If he got to see Feila, he'd be happy, no matter how he did it. He thought about what Toyomi ahd said about keeping an eye out for his brother, and began to wonder what his brother had done that made his mother so fearful. There was something about thieves and bandits, but it all reinforced Salvidor's earlier thoughts.

Bigfox3
God
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:12 pm

(So sorry about not posting, zak!)

Toyomi was embroiled in his thoughts for the longest time as he attempted to make sense of this situation. After walking for half the day in silence, he decided to settle down for camp and tell Salvidor what he'd pieced together.
---------
"I'm sorry for not sharing with you sooner, Salvidor, the news had hit me rather suddenly," he said over another hot bowl of stew. He sipped some of the broth before he began telling Salvidor about the bandit attack that happened in Stavanger when he was young. He made mention of the death of his father and the disappearance of his brother. "The leader of this attack was put away after a clever stunt I pulled after taking on his profession. He wasn't too thrilled either, since he'd worked especially hard to steal some of my more valued treasures and I'd managed to recollect them." He shuddered at an unspoken thought before continuing, "For the longest time we thought Miyoto was dead due to the massive amounts of trampling and murder that occured that day. From what Mother said, he apparently was abducted by these thieves and later sold to bandits, so my assumption is he's taken on the profession and only now decided to return..."

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Tue May 11, 2010 10:32 am

(OOC - That's cool, I just hope I can remember Salv's demeanour)

Salvador didn't mind walking in silence, it gave his slow thoughts time to get in line to be counted and organised. What he didn't have in mental capabilities, he made up for in kindheartedness, and more than made up for in strength and his warrioresque skills. Eventually stopping with the fox to set up camp. It didn't take Salvador even half the time it took Toyomi to do so. His tent was the sky, and his bedding the ground. He was used to sleeping amongst nature, and wasn't about to change that. He swung his hammer from his shoulder, flipping it downwards and plating it firmly, but softly, head down onto the ground.

Listening to Toyomi's story he once again had to bring his thoughts into lien to be sorted, and replaced. Some still held, but others had to be fixed. This took him a further five minutes or so after the fox had finished speaking. During this time, a look of intense concentration that was almost a trademark expression for Salvador was firmly plastered onto his scarred face. Eventually understanding what he had heard, he decided he should share his similar tale of woe.

He rested back on his paws, leaning back as if leaning into his own memories. "I lost my family, too. I was young. Too young. Bandits killed both my parents." At this point his eyes narrowed, the scar across his left nearly meeting across it. "But I got my revenge." Stroking the handle of his hammer, he finished his story, "The Lightening Hammer saw to that." He chuckled at the end, almost to mask his true sadness at the immense loss he had suffered. He told his story the only way he knew how - Simply. It was short, simple, and didn't involve any long words, or unnecessary details for his brain to fumble with.

Bigfox3
God
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:13 pm

As Toyomi saw Salvidor thinking over these things, he decided that as a traveling companion, it'd be rude of him to continue using his bard-like tongue. Better to save it for a more compelled audience. He recognized the sadness being masked in Salvidor's eyes, and decided not pursue the details of the story that his own curious mind would've loved to hear.

"Sounds like we have a common enemy then," Toyomi stated simply, "I don't know if my brother means us harm or not, but if he does attack, let's capture him alive and uninjured so I can talk to him..."

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Tue May 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Salvador nodded slowly in simple reply to the idea of a safe capture. "I'll try not to get in the way." He said, rubbing the back of his head in slight embarrassment, "I tend to break stuff too easily." It was true; his size, strength, and his tools caused problems. Mostly it was forgetting that most furs weren't as strong as him, than and punching walls. Punching walls got him into a lot of trouble. If Toyomi wanted to talk to his brother, it was probably best Salvador only used his paws as a means of capture, rather than fighting. And the hammer would only be used for 'ground thunder'.

(OOC - 'Ground thunder' as Salv calls it, is when he hits his hammer onto solid ground, causing a shock-wave to ripple out, knocking most furs over.)