The road less traveled (Open)

This is where all of the medieval Arctic Islands role-plays are archived.
Bigfox3
God
Species: Fennec Fox
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:43 pm

(Okay then...)

Several days passed without incident as Toyomi and Salvidor made their slow way south, occasionally running into other parties heading north for trades with merchants from the island of Gelta. Most of their traveling days were spent in isolation, and meals were the highlight of the day. Toyomi spoke absentmindedly over the stove, mentioning things he'd seen on the main continent; the Scarborough Faire, the Azalus University in Yamaha (which he realized didn't strike any chords with Salvidor after a while), the artists in Domus, several pubs with pretty dancers, the forests, the savannah-like Gawain (which they both grimaced at)...

When they were only a day's travel from Namsos, where they would take a ferry to Yamaha and the mainlands, Toyomi awoke with a sudden start as he heard something late in the evening. He lay still where he was as he tried to detect the sound once again. He looked over to where Salvidor was lying, and had he not known the bear was there, would've mistook him for a pile of snow that appeared from nowhere. He heard the noise again, and silently slipped from his mat to hide behind a natural snow formation just before a shadow appeared.

It was a slight shadow, but still clearly male. The ears weren't that of a fox, so Toyomi knew it wasn't his brother. A small white hare was searching through their things, and luck wasn't with him as he tripped over the "snowpile" and uttered a small curse. The earth rumbled.

(Hee-hee... This oughtta be fun. :3 )
The Dessert War never happened, but I'm deluded enough that I've convinced myself I already won. :3

My Character Library
Click here to see my Deviantart page!

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
'SPAMMA TANK' GAMMA Created by Shade
Advanced AI Tank

Big's quick link to the IRC chat box for those who can never find the thing, like me! 8D

Sponsor

zakorath
Duke
Species: Raccoon
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Wed May 12, 2010 8:28 am

(*Cracks knuckles with a menacing smile*)

The sun was sat just atop the horizon, slowly seeping into the ground when Salvador opened his eyes. Something had landed on him, and cursed. Upon opening his eyes two things annoyed him, firstly there was a newcomer who was lyign across his back, and secondly someone had touched his hammer. It hadn't been moved, that was to be expected due to it's weight, but it was now lying flat across the floor rather than stood up.

Salvador growled loudly from deep in his throat, and pressed his huge paws into the snow lifting himself up to a crouch. Crouching, he was almost as tall as the newcomer, and standing up, he nearly doubled the hare's height.

The hare's reaction was as most furs; frozen in either fear or awe, which one Salvador had never worked out. He blotted out the sun, casting the hare in a dark shadow. Tilting his head slowly downwards to see the intruder his malevolent facade continued with the large scar crossing his face; a constant reminder of his war-torn past.

Reaching for his hammer, he kept his eyes on the hare, watching his fear as the bear managed to somehow not simply move, but lift the iron block with a single paw. The hare began slowly moving away as Salvador spoke in a booming, and somewhat angered voice; "Who are you!?" He demanded, and upon receiving nothing but silence, "Alright. What do you think you're doing?" He could see things in the hare's paws that did not belong there. "Those are not yours." He said, bending slightly to look the fur in the eyes.

Bigfox3
God
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:07 pm

The hare was of half a mind to bolt right then and there with what he had, but he had no time to test the theory of outrunning him when Toyomi materialized next to the bear. The hare became impossibly paler and muttered a name Toyomi hadn't wanted to hear. "Master Miyoto, what are YOU doing here?" the hare asked Toyomi. "Look into my eyes, child, I'm not who you think I am," Toyomi said with an authoritative air. The hare was probably about five years younger than Toyomi, but the way Toyomi addressed him made that gap far larger. "What can you tell me of your Master, Miyoto?" The hare was suspicious, and looked down to his hands to find... he was empty-handed. "What?" was all the hare could manage before he heard the jingle coming from Toyomi's hands, and saw his stolen trinkets stolen back.

As he looked up, he was locked in Toyomi's violet gaze, and he felt all of his hidden feelings and motives being brought to the surface of his mind. "...You joined with my brother out of desparation. Your family was sick and dying, and your younger sister had already passed away. Your actions, though noble, were rash, and although your skill set you now possess is quite useful, you sacrificed the care of your family to attain it. Fear of acceptance is what keeps you from returning to them, and you don't know if they still live or not..."

The hare was near to tears as Toyomi recited this. Toyomi came to, as if from a trance, and said, "I apologize. This is something that I never mean to do to people, yet it always seems to help." The hare abandoned any thoughts of stealing anything from them. "Your brother did take care of me for a time, and today he was putting me to the test. Why he chose you, I don't know. What should I do?" Toyomi sighed, "That's up to you. You could return to my brother and tell him you failed..." to which the hare's ears drooped "Or, you could return to your home and ask forgiveness for your actions. Should they choose not to accept you, you have a skill set that's marketable on the mainland that you can use to make a living for yourself." The rabbit's ears perked up again, and he said a quick and profuse thank you before taking off for the west.
The Dessert War never happened, but I'm deluded enough that I've convinced myself I already won. :3

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank

Big's quick link to the IRC chat box for those who can never find the thing, like me! 8D

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Wed May 12, 2010 7:02 pm

Gree had been waiting oh so patiently for his prey to backtrack, to come with in his grasp. Stripped of every thing save the fur that saved his body from the chill of the tundra, he bided his time. Betrayal by another hare was a dark blasphemy to the loose code he had mostly adhered to for the majority of his life. His ears stood tall atop his head as he stood behind the cover of a tree trunk, listening to the hare's latest target.

Gree gripped the chain that bound the shackles around his wrists together, and swung wide and hard. The hare the fox let had just neared vision's end when the chain wrapped around his throat, and he was pulled to the ground by Gree. "Where is it?!" he screamed, followed by a fierce barrage of broken mainland language, followed by even more savage threats in the arctic tongue, carried further by a salvo in a language dead to all around but Gree.

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Thu May 13, 2010 10:14 am

(OOC - YAY! A third.)

Salvador, in all his simple machinations, had had no intention of doing anything other than pummeling the thief into the ground like a fence post. This idea was dashed when Toyomi appeared at his side. The fox's talents were confusing to Salvador, and he simply decided he was a mage of some sort. Even trying to figure out what would have taken him longer than he had time for.

As his companion allowed the hare to leave, he was somewhat glad for his compassion, but also felt disappointed than a thief should be let off because of his intentions. He managed to stay his anger enough to not chase after the creature, or throw his hammer at him.

He soon calmed himself, and sat on the rotting remains of a fallen tree, placing his hammer head down on the ground. Looking at his companion, it took him a while to formulate a question that would get the answer he wanted. "So... What was your mage thing?"

Bigfox3
God
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:36 pm

Toyomi sat down next to the unattended fire as all vestiges of weariness retreated from him. "So... What was your mage thing?" Salvidor asked him. Toyomi was caught slightly off-guard at the way he worded it. "It isn't exactly magic, but it definitely seems that way, sometimes," he tried to explain, "I've always been gifted with this sight. I can see quite clearly how people are motivated and detect their feelings, but I can never tell when I use it or not. It's hard to explain, but it always seems to help in the long run..."

His explanation was cut short as his ears picked up on an unusual amount of noise coming from the direction that the hare had just left in. His senses also told him that there was a lot of hostility occuring, not just emotionally, but the amount of expletives he could understand coming from a very different voice told him... "Something's wrong." He got up and dashed towards the sound. The second hare there was nude and attacking the first with the chain wrapped around his neck. Toyomi didn't hesitate as he called up a strong ice-wind to knock the chained rabbit off of him for a moment. "Are you alright?!" Toyomi asked. "Yes, but this mad-hare just attacked me from out of nowhere!" he said, still slightly shocked.

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Fri May 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Gree was in such a rage that all his attention was on the other rabbit, slowly approaching him and pulling on the chain. It was only when he felt the warmth leave his fur that he turned, just to be blind sided by the arctic blast. He was sent tumbling side way, rolling through the snow and ice. Gree gave a rather unhappy snarl, and disappeared beneath the snowy surface, down into the tunnel he had originally intended to be his bed. The chain, still wrapped around the other hare's neck slowly disappear into the hole link by link, until it snapped hard. Gree pulled in short sudden bursts, dragging his prey towards the trap door opening. He would have answers to his questions, whether it from the hare, or the fox.

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Re: The road less traveled (Open)

Post by zakorath » Sat May 15, 2010 12:27 pm

Salvador understood enough of what his companion was saying to keep up with his speech. This allowed him to notice as Toyomi trailed off. Leaving the makeshift campsite, he was watched by Salvador until he moved into the trees. At this point the bear stood up, gripping his hammer in one paw, and began to follow him.

The fight happening went unseen by Salvador, and he arrived in time to see the thief being dragged across the snow towards a large opening. He moved withs peed almost impossible for a beast his size, and planted his hammer firmly atop the chain, halting it almost entirely in an instant. The snow beneath offered some movement to the chain, and so Salvador tried to stop this by leaning his full weight on the hammer's handle.

Bigfox3
God
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:34 pm

Toyomi was grateful to see Salvidor and witness what he did. The chain still moved slightly, but once his weight was on it, it stopped for the most part. It was time enough for Toyomi to unchain the hare being attacked and tell him, "RUN!" The hare didn't hesitate to comply and was gone in minutes.

The white hare had retreated into a sizeable hole, and Toyomi could barely make out his features for lack of sunlight. "Your quarry has escaped. If you make any attempts to pursue him, we WILL stop you and bind you. Are you open to talking with us peacefully? We have no other reason to cause you harm."

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Thu May 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Pulling the chain hand over hand Gree could already taste vengeance with in his grasp. He gave one hard tug after another, grinning wide at how quickly the chain was moving through the snow and dragging his prey towards him. 'One last tug,' he thought to himself, 'and all debts will be paid.' He yanked, and almost lost his footing. He could feel something heavy holding the chain in place, but stubborn as any hermit hare would be, he continued to pull against the new weight, gaining little ground. A snarl escaped him when the fox came into view, angry little rabbit still tugging furiously at the chain since he was still shackled to it.

"My fight is not with you," Gree spat from the shadows, eyes starting to glow around the silver irises. "You've saved a murderer this day, and you will be judged accordingly!" He stopped pulling at the chain, and the tension went limp. "But not by me," came the same voice, quiet and tired. "I will talk, but I can offer no promises that the traitor will not pay for what he has done."

With two quick hops from one wall of the tunnel to another, Gree stood not far from the edge in plain view. He wrapped the slack chain around his paw and tugged until it lined up straight from hammer to fist. He was still quite bare besides his thick arctic fur.

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Fri May 21, 2010 10:26 am

Salvador watched the freed hare run for his life, tripping over his own footpaws in his hurried escape. He watched a while until the hare had disappeared completely, and then, upon turning, became aware that the second hare was arguing with Toyomi. He now stood by the tunnel entrance, holding the chain.

The fur's words ran strong in Salvador's blood. He, too, was of the kind that sought justice. His issue was not with that the first hare was a criminal, but with that the second was not just enough in person to issue punishment. Where he came from, only a God could issue judgement on people, and invariably, they did so.

Salvador rested his full weight on the hammer for safety's sake, and spoke to the naked fur before him. "You are a warrior of great skill, and yet you appear in chains?" He asked him. The imagery was confusing. It was his opinion, and that of the furs who had brought him up, that a good warrior should be honoured. As far as he knew, only slaves came in chains, and to enslave a good warrior... Well... That was worthy of punishment from the Gods themselves.

Bigfox3
God
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:10 pm

As Toyomi absorbed this new information, he became greatly concerned. "That hare we let go was an apprentice thief under the tutelage of my younger brother I thought long dead. To tell me he's a murderer would make me wish that the thought was true," he spoke calmly so to not further agitate the rabbit before him. "Perhaps you've mistaken him for someone else. Rike Arktik is troubled by war these days, and any number of bandit bands could have done this to you. Do you recognize my face?" Toyomi asked the rabbit on the off-chance that he'd seen Miyoto.

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 pm

Agitation spread through Gree like a tipped candle in a paper mill. His already clenched fists squeezed tight around the chain, continuing to pull with slowly growing strength. "You're face is to me what all the others have been." A chill ran through the chain, ice starting to form on links between the two sets of paws. "It's painted, coated in a false concern." The ice continued to build up on the chain over the pit, the weight adding up. "And just like all those who have neither righted nor wronged me, it will be forgotten. However, that hare has wronged me very deeply. His face will be burned into my memory until the day I burn it into a head stone." Gree gave slack the chain with out warning, trusting in the bear's grip. Paws went high, then whipped low, ice chunks popping off and falling into the shadows below. Gree swore. "Damn metal! Why are you the only material that does not shatter when frozen?" The white hare, still rather unclothed, and now with fur bristling, snarled his malcontent, biting at the cuffs around his wrists. "I am no soldier, nor warrior, nor fighter." Gree spat into the snow at his feet, silver eyes locked on the bear. "But I am a survivor. You would do good to remember that, should the time ever come that I am wounded with out repair, and you are on hand."

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Tue May 25, 2010 3:31 pm

Salvador watched as the chain froze slowly. He raised one eyebrow in an attempt to avoid having to think about what was going on. After all he'd seen today, this didn't seem worth his time concentrating on. Eventually the hare seemed to attack the chair, throwing ice shards into the air, before cursing it.

After being addressed by the hare, Salvador did stop to think temporarily. After doing so, he lifted his hammer, freeing the chain. "Well, survivor. I agree. And as you have not crossed me, I will not pummel you into the ground." To most these would seem harsh words, but Salvador spoke entirely as a matter of simple fact. Had the hare crossed him, it was likely he would have swung the Lightening Hammer at him.

He stared at the pawprints disappearing in the heavy snow where the first hare had run. "You would bring him justice, but not today." He pointed to the vanishing tracks, "You'll have a hard time tracking in this weather. It's only going to get heavier at this time of year. And that chain's only going to slow you down. You would freeze to death in the pursuit of justice?"

(OOC - Ziger - In case you don't know yet, the Lightening Hammer is just it's name. It doesn't have any elemental or magical power whatsoever.)

Bigfox3
God
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:19 pm

Toyomi was insulted. He was of half a mind to smack the hare right where he stood, but then he remembered the nature of most bandits to begin with and had to reconcile the thought that his brother might be less than angelic. He was glad the hare didn't remember him specifically, since that meant that he hadn't seen Miyoto. Toyomi remembered his pack had an extra change of clothing, and while the words still stung him, he tossed the outfit to the hare. "You may be right, but I understand that his motives were pure to begin with. I'm not defending his actions, and he will have to face the consequences," Toyomi said to the hare. He grabbed his rapier from his pack and indicated the lock on the chains binding him. "Once I free you, I can offer you a choice. If you're willing to come with us, my brother may be able to help you pinpoint this hare's location. You understand that this hare won't let us find him if he doesn't want to be found. Better to follow a solid lead than wander aimlessly in the snow, right?"

My Character Library

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
Advanced AI Tank