I'm thnking of starting a new RP

This board is for discussing specific role-plays or ideas for new role-plays. If you are planning a role-play and need somewhere to talk about it, then this is the place to go. This is also where you would make role-playing requests.
materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence
Species: Collie

I'm thnking of starting a new RP

Post by materwolf »

I've recently got into reading a book series called "Destroyermen" and was thinking about doing an RP about it here. The book settings are:
A WWI Era destroyer assigned to the US Asiatic fleet is pressed into service in WWII along with her sister ship. After a few crushing defeats to the task force, the USS Walker and Mahan are running for their lives. They duck into a strange looking squall to escape from the oncoming fleet of japanese battlecruisers and find that they emerge somewhere else. Strange and deadly fish now swim around the ships as their radios fall silent. After a few days of trudging the two destroyers in the direction of the Bali shipyards, they see the shipyard isn't there and dinosaurs are grazing on the beach. With limited fuel they deside to head to the harbor on Balikpapan only to spot a sailing ship the size of an aircraft carrier, whats more its filled with Lemur-like furs. More investigating of this strange new world leads the two destroyer crews to beleive that they're no longer in home waters. Courtney Bradford-an Australian civilian who came aboard durring the retread of Surabaya-speculates they've been transported to an alternate reality. In this reality humans have not eveolved, but two other species have. The peaceful lemurians and the savage, war-like Grik. And they are at war.

I'd be more than happy to provide more information on teh books, some pictures too as far as the ships and creatures. I'm not sure how we'd make it into a Feila-related RP unless we simulate Feila's version of WWII though.
"Fate protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise."
-Commander William Riker, USS Enterprise, NCC-1701D-

My characters
[url]http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=4044[/url]

Sponsor

JamesG
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Re: I'm thnking of starting a new RP

Post by JamesG »

That sounds like an episode of the Twilight Zone I once saw, except it was an aeroplane getting transported back to the time of the dinosaurs.

Should be good for our own Twilight Zone, funnily enough. :D So long as you make sure you do not reproduce characters from the book.

Although, I would be interested to see any pictures of the ships, if the book series has any. A few friends and I once had an interesting discussion on the feasible sizes of Age of Sail style ships. The main problem with making them, say, the size of an aircraft carrier, is the wooden hull tends to warp something fierce in rough seas, and would probably break apart.

Anyway, whilst I'm not currently RPing at the moment, I'll watch this with interest. :D
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence

Post by materwolf »

We could of course replace the char's trom teh book with the RP'ers without a problem. Luckily even though the books have no pictures the author references real US Navy ships. USS Walker (DD-163) USS Mahan (DD-102), and a few others. The large sailing ships in the book have the same hull shape as teh civil war USS Monitor-only Much larger and her deck is about 100-150 feet above the water.

USS Mahan

USS Walker

The only pic I could find of the Lemurian Homes.

And judging from the world the Lemurians live in, I'd assume even the softest wood would be like Oak or Cedar. Their version of hardwood would be most likely much much harder and more ideal for supporting a large vessel, but for the specifics you might want to talk to Taylor Anderson. He has a better Idea of what this alternate world's trees might be like.

My characters

JamesG
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG »

That's a great diagram. I'll do some more research into it later. :D
"You can't just remain a root forever. Eventually you grow and change into other things, like stems and leaves and such. Are a tree's leaves an insult to its roots?" - Sade

"It is easy for a statesman, whether he be in the Cabinet or the Chamber, to blow a blast with the wind of popularity on the trumpet of war, warming himself the while at his own fireside; or to thunder orations from this tribune and then to leave it to the musketeer who is bleeding to death in the snow whether his system win fame and victory or no. There is nothing easier than that; but woe to the statesman who in these days does not look around him for a reason for war which will hold water when the war is over." - Otto von Bismarck

My Characters

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence

Post by materwolf »

Great. I know of one person willing to join whe RP for sure. I'm open to anyone who'd like to join. No minimum number of players required. I'll be starting out with a battle so that might spark some people's intrests. Also, one position I'd like to have someone fill is the Navy nurse that has feelings for the captain if anyone is interested.

My characters

darkkitsune
Duke
Duke

Post by darkkitsune »

*pounces* I would like to join and offer Jerard the fourth and his spaceship... ^^
He and his crew would be transported in, the same way as the humans do in the books.
"Let's light them on fire some morrrre."
Group of ninja burst into flames...again

If any of the stories that I am in need revising, please PM me, so that I make the changes. Because I would like to have the stories make sense and flow better. (In the PM tell which story needs changing and how, please?)

Feila IRC Chat

Image I, insert name DESTROYED Feila *Evil laughter*

My Characters

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence

Post by materwolf »

Great. Seeing as we've already described the ship elsewhere perhaps teh spacecraft is doing some atmospheric flight when it enters a squall.
Rolls that are available will be listed below too.

The book is just going to be a very loose plotline guide for me, so any ship that could get transported to this reality is welcome. The Gik are currently an overwhelming force-but we find this out later after we have a few minor victories-and they have the Battlecruiser Amagi with them. Seeing as not everyone wants to be captaining/crewing frigate style sailing ships or WWI destroyers, I might add to the Grik's forces depending on what kinds of vessles are on our side. For example in teh book the 'good' guys have 2 WWI Destroyers, 4 Sail powered frigates armed with 24 12 pound brass cannons, 5 Lemurian Homes armed with 10 32 pound brass cannons, and 6 Captured Grik ships armed with 12 12 pounder cannons. They face over 300 Grik ships (50 armed with 6 12 pounder cannons) And te damaged battlecruiser Amagi-only able to make about 6 knots.
With the addition of DK's spacecraft we might add a spacecraft to the Grik's side-depending on how badly damaged DK's ship is. And if someone adds a battleship or carrier or something like that, the Grik force will be added to equaly. Remember-we want to fight seemingly overwhelming odds.
The lemurians have no drydock facilities, but the bay they live in is large enough to take an average sized WWII Task force in it.

My characters

JamesG
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG »

Hold on. Your order of battle is thus;

Grik

1 x Battlecruiser (Damaged engines, top speed of 6 knots)
Armament:
Spoiler:
50 x 6 gun sloops

250 x Other vessels (Not specified)

Lemurians

1x Spaceship
Indeterminate armament

2 x Destroyers
Armament:
Spoiler:
4 x 6th rate frigates

5 x 10 gun carronade sloops

6 x 12 gun sloops

That is the weirdest order of battle I have ever seen. :P

Why do the Lemurians have no dry-dock facilities? How did they build those huge ships then? And why are they so poorly armed, with only 10 32 pounders? For a ship that size, it seems woefully inadequate compared to what it could hold. Their opponents aren't much better, with nothing bigger than sloops before the arrival of the battlecruiser. Why are both sides' forces undergunned and generally small in size? If they have the technology to build such advanced things as fully rigged sailing warships, why are they on such a small scale? The Lemurians clearly have the men and equipment to build those huge ships, so why do they fall short on armament?

The addition of the spaceship to me seems just as off-kilter to the WWII era ships as it does introducing the destroyers and cruiser to age of sail fleets. The WWII era ships can fire on sailing ships way outside their range, and if the spaceship is armed, it has a marked advantage over all of them with its speed, armour and range. The side without the spaceship is definitely going to lose pretty quickly if they can't match that vessel, and both sides are going to lose their sailing vessels very quickly if they come up against any WWII era ship, which will outgun them with greater accuracy at a greater range. How do you intend to keep things balanced?

Here's my suggestion; Obviously, both sides must conserve ammunition, and fuel. So it seems to me the WWII era ships would be best suited to more defensive roles, such as protecting harbours or industries, and have the sailing ships do most of the expeditionary fighting. Same should go for the spacecraft, which are obviously a long, long way from space-age resupply. If any ship runs out of oil, or shells, it's out of the picture, because they do not have ANY way of resupply, and would probably have to find a way of converting their ship to an armoured gun platform for more conventional cannon of the age.

Also, sorry if that's a lot of questions, but I have a habit of asking. 8)

My Characters

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence

Post by materwolf »

I don't mind so many questions. it helps everyone comprehend the situation better.
The lemurians had just come from the bronze age-with the urging of the Destroyermen. The way they build the Homes are in the Fil-Pin islands, they build them in warehouses and slide them into the sea-somewhat like the way Titanic and her sisters were constructed. The hulls of the Homes are clad in copper-same principle as the regular ships of our reality I imagine, something about wood eating organisms don't like copper. Anyhoo, on the island of Balkpaan (balikpapan, but the Lemurians couldn't seem to stick exactly to the names on teh original "Scrolls") copper and brass are hard to come by, making such guns highly valueble. The Destroyer crewman who was placed in charge of making the guns initialy wanted each Home to carry 40, but until even more support from the Fil-Pin Islands can be sent, they have to save as much metal as they can for the other ships and repairs for Walker and Mahan.

Before teh Grik ships became armed, they were the exact replica of a British East Indiamen ship-without guns. The Grik arn't inovators, such thinking is frowned upon by their leadership. The Japanese battlecruiser crews started showing the Grik how to make guns, and even with the hords of "Uul" (almost feral as far as inteligence, but basicaly the working/warrior class) being taught how to manufacture the weapons, the "Hij" (Inteligent leader class, where generals, craftsman, ect are dirived from) have to import supplies all the way from the South China Sea, across 'deep' water where creatures called Mountain Fish live (fish that are as big as a Lemurian Home). The Grik have the resources, but have no innovation or stategy. They have to be shown everything by the Japanese battlecruiser crew. Crew that knows very little about industrialization on such a massive scale, not to mention have damage from 3 torpedoes done to their ship.

There was a battle where the Walker went against 6 Grik ships. Indeed the Walker won without taking any damage save some burnt paint from the 'Grik Fire' catapults-this was before teh Grik had cannon-but both destroyers were never designed to last 30 years-especialy under their current strain. Teh destroyer crews are helping the Lemurians make frigates and steam powered ships of their own to replace teh "MAgic Iron Ships" Once they can no longer be repaired. And as to the spacecraft, if the allied force gets a small ship, the Grik are going to somehow get a medium sized ship. That way both sides have access to that type of technology. Besides, in order to the craft to be 'stuck' as the destroyers are in this reality, they'd probably have to be severly damaged. Most damage to the destroyers still remains unrepaired or jurry-rigged. Such as the Walker shed a propeller blade durring a battle, she took one of Mahan's to replace it. They are working on casting a replacement from copper but they are running into problems. Critical parts such as bearings are still a ways off from being made by the Lemurians and teh old destroyers are starting to show their age. Rivits are popping-welds are holding their place now. One of Walker's boilers was shot up in an encounter with Amagi and is now a place for a copper fuel oil tank. Another hinderance to repairs below the waterline are teh tuna-sized, silver fish that seem to be everywhere. They are known as 'Flashies" or "Flasher Fish". They act like phirannah and unfortunatly a grenade or two over the side of the ship doesn't help. It only attracts more flashies from the scent of their fellow flasher's blood. The replacing of the prop on Walker nearly cost the lives of 2 of her crew even though they had one of teh Home's sails blocking the flashies.
The shells that Walker, mahan and Amagi have won't last forever and will eventualy need to be replaced. The destroyer's weaponry is slowly being replenished by reloading the shell casing with black powder and using a solid copper bolt projectile. The Amagi has made no mentions of how its going to replenish its armament, but the captain is very stingy on his shells-he has nearly a full standard load, exept for what he used to sink one of the Homes. I would assume that the copper bolt projectiles being shot by Walker and Mahan would have lesser range and not be as devistating as typical High Explosive 4 inch shells.
The fuel situation-at least for the Destroyers- has been sorted out. They drilled an oil well on Balikpaan Island where they had seen one in tehir 'home' reality. Seeing as the geography was almost the same in many ways, they found teh oil that was there. They used some of Walker's torpedoe tubes to make a refinery for the fuel. They even made aviation fuel (not PERFECT, but close enough to get the plane coughting into the air) to feed the dilapitaded PBY Catalina they found half sunk and adrift. The japanese battlecruiser was originaly built to burn coal. So after the entry to the new reality and doing some repairs under the Grik supervision, they re-converted Amagi's boilers to burn coal. Heh, after Walker fed another torpedoe in its side they had to beach teh cruiser just to get some repair work done on Surabuya Island.the battlecruiser is much slower than her original speed of 35 knots (Walker and mahan used to be able to match that speed as well, but now are down to Maybe 28) and can do about 10 knots. Her guns are still functional-as is her last remaining Type 95 Recon plane.

The ways of rearming and refueling were already worked out in the book, I just tried to explain them above.

My characters

JamesG
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG »

That's quite an elaborate set-up. In that case, how far into the story are you going to start the RP? Are you going to start from the moment the destroyers are transported to this alternate world, or some time afterwards, when they've got all those problems with which to deal?

Also, I'm not an expert on oil drilling and refinement, but is the construction of a working refinery that easy? I'm just wondering how any crewmembers of the destroyers was able to not only accurately comprehend the machinery involved, but then somehow produce a drill and refinery in a world coming out of the Bronze Age.

I had a look at the concepts behind oil refinement, it is not that hard to understand, but I am still not sure how they surveyed, drilled, pumped and refined crude oil from a location that they only know has oil because the landscape has not changed significantly between both worlds.

In regards to the spaceship, I meant they'd be 'stuck' because they would run out of fuel, air and supplies if they tried to move out of the system. That is, if Darkkitsune's ship comes from our canon Space Age.

As for the copper shells, I agree they would not be as effective. Copper, as I understand it, is a ductile and soft metal, and so would not have armour-piercing capability against the battlecruiser, though the range and firing rate of such projectiles would no doubt be very effective in holing Grik sailing vessels.

My Characters

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence

Post by materwolf »

I plan on taking the story about as far book series has so far. there are 4 books. "Into the Storm, Crusaide, Mealstrom, and Distant Thunders." Book five is sceduled to come out in February.
I plan to start teh RP right about where the book does: A few days before they get transported into the alternate reality. That way it explains the desprate situation their in. A task force of destroyers and curisers getting chased by the japanese fleet.
The oil drilling and refinement equipment was jurry rigged from some of USS Walker's torpedoe tubes and the rest they made from bamboo chutes and copper tippped drills. It was powered by a domesticated dinosaur the Lemurians use as work animals. It was very slow drilling and more complex the refinery, but it was done. Two of Walker's crew used to work on oil rigs. They made the design for teh rig and the pump that followed.
When teh Walker was running from the japanese and stopped to resupply at Surabuya, they aquired passengers. One was Courtney Bradford, and Aussie that worked for Royal Dutch Shell. He also had charts of where the company had established oil rigs since 1932. They take a chance and drill right where the 'old' world had a rig on Balikpapan and get lucky. Oil deposits are assumeably in the same locations, tho we've only been sure of one so far.
DK and I talked a little about the spaceship. There are still a few details to work out but even if the vessel was capable of re-entering space, where would it go? In an alternate reality who knows what kinds of things are different on a uneversal scale? Plus he was thinking more along the lines of a star-trek based ship.

My characters

JamesG
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG »

On a universal scale, I would imagine the differences would be inconsequential, given the scale of the universe. :P

I think we are in agreement that there would be nowhere to go, because there would be no other life in the Feilan system, nor anywhere within any reasonable travel distance.

As for it being Star Trek based, just remember you cannot carbon-copy characters. I know I keep saying this, but if I had a dollar for every time someone did, I'd be rich. :P

My Characters

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence

Post by materwolf »

Heh, the copying charactors won't be a problem. The only charactors that'll be the same from the book that I'll use ate the ships themselves. USS Walker DD-163, USS Mahan DD-102, and USS S-19 (Kinda an odd name for a submarine don't you think?). And of course the Japanese Battlecruiser Amagi, perhaps teh Bismark as well in attempt to even teh odds a little. DK would be in control of the starship so I'm sure he'd never carbon copy charactors. He's too imaginitive for that I think. Plenty of room for you to jump in as well.

My characters

JamesG
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Post by JamesG »

The Bismarck, eh? That'd be one dangerous player in this scenario. :D

My Characters

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence

Post by materwolf »

Certainly she would be. My Grandpa recenty constructed a model of the battleship and the instructions had a list of the armament. I read it all and was amazed. No wonder she was so feared by teh Royal Fleet! If the US would have been in the war at the time, no doubt whatever atlantic ships we had would have been devoted to hunting her as well.

My characters