Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Private Lessons

Feila is now home to a wide range of advanced technology that makes Earth's present day computers look like children's toys. Sentient androids walk the streets as free citizens, robots have taken over much of the industrial work, and the youth surf the streets on hover boards. Medicine has become so advanced that the disabled can be fitted with cybernetic limbs, while those seeking super strength can find said technology on the black market. Politics have shifted greatly, and Edwin has become a cold and controlling authoritarian state, with each of the remaining nations changed in its own manner. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
Asyriel
God
United States of America

Re: Private Lessons

Post by Asyriel » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Freya nodded as Kolin confirmed that he was, for all intents and purposes, self taught. "Well, hopefully these lessons, and the references I have will help." She commented in reply. She chuckled when Kolin asked how many calories spellcasting burned. "You know, I've never really sat down to try and figure that out. All I know is that I've never needed to diet, and I'm always starving after any intensive casting." She replied "It likely burns a lot, but less as you become more practiced and efficient."

She tilted her head a bit as Kolin explained that he'd moved on from studying general history and his reasoning for it. "The historians aren't always correct or accurate." She told him. "You know I used to be a history professor. The hardest part was perpetuating the accepted inaccuracies because they were the accepted history." She laughed. "Most people wouldn't believe me when I told them I'd lived through a good chunk of it. I may not have the widest grasp of it, but I do have some first hand experience." She raised an eyebrow when Kolin mentioned that magic wasn't mainline anymore. "There are reasons for that as well. There was a purge. Anything that had to do with magic was destroyed, and those who wielded it were hunted." She paused for a few moments before she continued. "There were, of course, some survivors, but they went to ground. Hid themselves, and what teachings and objects they could save." Her gaze was distant before she shook herself and looked at Kolin for a moment. "Anyway, how does some lunch sound?" She asked

Sponsor

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:43 pm

"Hm, might be useful to run a few experiments, then. Never know when that kind of data might come in handy." Kolin grinned, though his look turned a little rueful when his stomach started growling. "Ach... an early lunch does sound good."

He wasn't sure how to comment about the purge; he'd heard about it from when old Zeke had called them all into his sedan back after he had first met Freya. "Oh, got a call from Dat, by the way. The dog misses home, though he has a fairly vague idea at this point of what exactly he does miss. Except his parents, which I guess I can understand. He's far enough away not to remember all the things that annoyed him about them." Projecting much? Kolin didn't seem especially self-aware...
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:59 pm

"I suppose it may." Freya replied with a shrug when Kolin suggested experimenting to find out how many calories spellcasting burned. It wasn't that she wasn't interested, but with as long as she'd lived without knowing, it was something that was closer to the bottom of her priority list. She grinned though when Kolin conceded to getting something to eat. "Would you prefer to go out into the world, or perhaps delivery?" She asked, her grin turning slightly mischievous at the offer of delivery.

Freya was a little surprised when Kolin brought up that Dat had called. "Well, it's rough to be suddenly displaced." She replied from experience. "It could have been worse, but he's young, and he'll figure that out eventually." She continued with a sigh. She raised an eyebrow, and tilted her head a bit at Kolin when he mentioned parents. She tried not to pry into his surface thoughts out of respect, but this one would have been hard to miss even without her psychic abilities. "Ok, time to spill it. What's going on, or should I more correctly ask, what have your parents done to raise your ire?" She asked with a small sympathetic smile.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:20 pm

The spark of mischief in Freya's expression ignited curiosity in Kolin's own. There was just something about the dragoness that fascinated him, beyond the normal exoticism that hung around her species. "Hmmm, I'm thinking delivery." His tail swished, as he wondered what she was up to.

As the conversation drifted to the subject of his parents, the hybrid sighed. He supposed he wasn't very good at hiding his secrets, at least from Freya. Not that this was an especially confidential, matter, just personal. "Oh, I suppose it's the usual stuff for a family like mine. Or, maybe it isn't; I don't know many other technocrats, but it seems that the historical elites were always concerned about their heirs to an almost unhealthy degree. Always pressing them into the family realm in one way or another, dropping non-subtle hints about marriage, things like that. It gets... slightly more disturbing when they have access to uterine replication technology." Kolin shuddered. True 'vat babies' were still a relatively new technology, and what they allowed in terms of parentage and gene editing was... still not something the population in general was entirely comfortable with. Augmentation was thought to be something that should be done cybernetically, and by consent-age adults, rather than pre-natal tampering with underlying biology. Not that the rich cared for such general mores any more than they ever did in past ages.

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:16 pm

Freya's grin widened as Kolin asked for delivery. "All right, I know just the thing." She replied as she puled out her com unit. She tapped on it a couple times, before putting it away and returning her attention to Kolin. "It's on the way. Now, while we're waiting."

Freya listened as Kolin vented about his problems with his parents. "Well, I can't say much about technocrats...or your parents at least. She replied, but I do remember how Edwin's nobility used to obsess over it." She said the last bit with undertones of sadness. "They were lucky if they didn't have their marriages arranged for them. Anything to increase their political power, their holdings, and secure their future lines." She shrugged. "In your case it could be that they don't want so see what they've worked so hard to give you end with you. I could do a bit of digging and find out for sure if you like." She gave the joking offer with a chuckle. "If you were dating someone, that might convince them to give you a bit of breathing room." She commented.

She looked a little aghast when Kolin mentioned uterine replication and 'vat babies' "That seems a little extreme." She replied. "I mean, if you're not capable of producing healthy offspring on your own then maybe." She shook her head. Despite her problems conceiving in the past, something about the idea still struck her as not quite right.

Before she could delve too much further into it, her com pinged. "Oh, delivery!" She exclaimed before she opened a portal the size and shape of a door in front of her. She reached through, and pulled a bewildered skunk into the warehouse. "Ah, very prompt. Thank you." She told the skunk with a wide grin before she snatched the large delivery bag from the skunk. Her com pinged as payment and a substantial tip were transferred from her accounts. "Easy delivery to a nice house." She commented, though there was a resonance in her voice. She skunk nodded, their expression a little blank. "yeah, nice house." They commented before Freya grinned, spun them around and gently pushed them back through the portal before it snapped shut.

"And now Lunch." She announced as she pulled out several boxes packed with fried chicken, seasoned fries, and biscuits. She pulled out a piece of chicken and took a bite. "So, anyone caught your eye?" She asked after she'd swallowed the bite. She was mostly teasing, but at teh same time, genuinely curious.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:48 pm

Kolin's face scrunched up a bit in thought as he chewed over Freya's words. "I... suppose that's a fair assessment; it's not as if they hadn't invested a lot in me. Being an only child probably doesn't help matters in that respect. And to be completely fair, the vat option's probably there in case I bring home a guy. That's what most people actually use them for, besides gene-cleaning for diseases and such." Admitting the fairness of his parent's point of view didn't make it any less of an irritating obstacle to his own ambitions, leading him to contemplate just getting a 'show date' to get the pair of them off his back.

The train of thought was interrupted by the arrival of the delivery skunk, and Freya's little 'show.' Kolin shook his head, laughing in a low tone as he chided, "Now you're just showing off. Better hope he wasn't wearing a micro-cam, or he'll have a real hard time explaining himself." Taking a few fries, he returned back to the train of thought he had earlier. "I had been seeing one girl for a little while, actually, a winged lioness; we had a lot in common, and I found it just enjoyable to be around her. Her family, though...." He sighed, taking a piece of chicken. "Well, there was a lot of drama there. They were either crazy, or actually from another planet. Would explain how thoroughly they all disappeared. I really have not had the best of luck in my friends and relationships, in that respect."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:44 pm

Freya nodded as Kolin worked through the point of view that she had offered. It wasn't that she wasn't sympathetic to his complaints, but looking at another perspective could sometimes help reconcile such complaints, at least to an extent. "Well, bringing home a guy would fit under the unable to produce offspring, at least as a couple." She agreed.

She gave an apologetic shrug when Kolin called her out on showing off. "Guilty, you caught me." She replied with a small chuckle. "If he was wearing a micro-cam, hopefully the tip will help offset the difficulty he has explaining." She offered. She listened as it turned out that Kolin had been seeing someone at some point. Her expression filled with sympathy as he went on to explain the difficulties that eventually came around as well as the entire family's disappearance. "I'm sorry you've had such difficulties. I imagine it's difficult to tell who's interested in you, and who's interested in your position as heir." She paused a moment. "You know, if you ever want to get away from it for a while. You're always welcome to stay at my place. I would welcome the company." She offered with a genuine smile before she took another bite of chicken. "I cook, and I promise I won't hound you about continuing the family line." She teased with a wink.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:09 pm

(Thought I replied to this yesterday; site must have eaten my post)

Sighing, Kolin at least tried to take an optimistic perspective. "Well, if nothing else, the footage would make a damned good advertisement for our school. I don't know what caliber of students it would end up attracting, but the one advantage of diluted bloodlines is that everyfur would have at least some talent."

A few fries later, the hybrid was back in a contemplative mood. "Part of the reason I don't get out much is exactly that, yeah. The eccentric company I keep also exacts a social price on any would-be golddiggers. If they're willing to pay, well, they're probably worth my time in some respect. Present company included, though I do hold you in higher esteem than to ever think of you as such." He raised his drink in a mock toast. "I'll probably end up taking up that offer. At least to give myself a plausible girlfriend if my parents get too pushy."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:03 pm

Freya chuckled at the idea of possible footage being used for advertizing. "More likely it would be called a hoax of some sort. The hardest part of recruiting and teaching new students will be getting them to really believe in magic. The best ones to get would be the ones that have enough talent that it has actually manifested in some way." She eventually shrugged. "A bridge to cross when we get to it. For now, we've got to get you proficient."

She nodded sympathetically as Kolin went back to explaining more about his personal life. She chuckled at the mention of a social price. "I gave up on caring about my social image centuries ago. It got in the way of enjoying my life." She commented. She smiled at the compliment Kolin paid. "Why thank you; now I feel bad about initially asking for payment. I probably sounded like a golddigger at the time." She shrugged. "Ah well, it's in the past and sorted out." She gave another much wider grin when he mentioned taking her up on the offer to stay with her. "You're cute enough, I'll even play along." She replied with a wink when he mentioned that she would make for a plausible girlfriend.

She paused a moment in thought. "Have you heard anything more from Zechariah?" She asked cruriously. She didn't expect the old dragon to contact her, but she was curious if he'd been in contact with the others.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Kolin chuckled at Freya's disparaging of her own public image. "Reminds me of a quote by an old academic: 'Before I traded in my respectability, I quailed before department heads; now, I fly to private islands.' At least, that's how I think it goes. Bit of an odd bird, and given his country's eventual fate, no more than a historical footnote. But a good indication of what was lost, and perhaps what may be revived." Finishing up his lunch, he grinned. "As you might imagine, I've a fondness for disagreeable academics."

The thought of having the dragoness pose as his girlfriend was a pleasing one, and Kolin was glad to hear that she found it amenable. Some deep, buried members of the hybrid's consciousness congress even formed their own secret committee on the plausibility of transitioning that from fake to real, but his frontal lobe was quick to find and quash that thought. But the committee would still meet in the subconscious...

Up front, however, there was the matter of Old Zed. To that, he could only shrug. "He talks to Valencii, not to me. I only sat in on one conversation. I think the poor guy's forgotten how to make and keep friends-" The sound of an opening door interrupted him, followed by scurrying feet.

"Ah, Kolin, quite the find today- oh, hello." The rodent known as Raymon Valencii had come in, holding an armful of what looked to be old flash and hdd drives. "I didn't know you were having company." The emphasis the mouse gave certainly bode well for the credibility of Kolin's proposed deception. "Good afternoon, Miss Freya. I hope you don't mind my interruption, I just completed a deal retrieving some backups of digital archives, which I need to make redundant. Honestly, it's a miracle the drives lasted this long. Not as perishable as cheap paper, but nigh-well impossible to reconstruct once gone."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:43 pm

Freya chuckled when Kolin brought up an old academic's quote. "I think I officially traded in my respectability when the ETC was in the height of it's power. I found a way to be a major shareholder, then decided to start traveling along on the ships." She commented. "Unfortunately I don't think any revival will ever come close to what we lost, but there is hope it will be more than what we currently have." She shrugged at Kolin's mentioned fondness for disagreeable academics. "They often have legitimate reasons for being disagreeable." She replied with another chuckle.

She rolled her eyes and sighed when Kolin mentioned that Old Zed hadn't contacted him. "Unfortunately I'm not surprised by this fact." She replied before quietly muttering. "I don't think I will ever understand that dragon."

Freya's train of thought was also interrupted by the unexpected sound of an opening door. She tilted her head before looking to see Valencii had come in. She grinned at the rodent's reaction to her presence. It seemed that he hadn't expected her to be there, and now she wondered to herself just what discussions the two friends had shared about her. She looked over at Kolin, and gave him a wink before she spoke. "Aww Kolin, and here I thought I was going to have you to myself all day." She complained before she turned her attention to Valencii. "Good afternoon Mister Valencii. I suppose I can forgive it if you're willing to entertain my piqued curiosity as to what kind of digital archives you've acquired."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:13 pm

"Historical dead ends, mostly." Valencii replied to the question of what he'd found. "There were a lot of political movements that ultimately never succeeded, but nonetheless made up a part of the intellectual landscape of the time. What makes this find so great is that I found the primary sources for these schools of thought. Some scans of old books, video files, even blogs. They bear witness to current events, too, just around the time that the Party most wants to obscure history. But like I said, got to get these safe into storage and back them up, so you pretty much will have him all day." The mouse gave a wink to Kolin before scuttling off.

Kolin chuckled, seeing him go. "I think they used to call his kind 'nerds,' didn't they? Ah, but where would scholarship be without them?" He frowned a bit, though, as he chewed over what exactly Raymon had said. "Though, if this is anything like the last time he got archives of the blogosphere, I'm going to have to listen to some newfound reactionary politics for the next few days."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Freya arched an eyebrow as Valencii explained what the old flash drives contained. She gave a small chuckle. "Looking for lessons learned?" She asked jokingly. He mentioned again that he needed to get the files backed up, and safely stored. "Well, don't let us keep you then." She replied with a smile, and a bit of a shooing motion as he headed off to tend to his newest finds.

She returned her attention to Kolin when he brought up the old term 'nerds' "That was one of many titles they earned." She replied with a laugh. "Great for scholarship, sometimes not so much for social interactions." She paused. "Not that I'm complaining" She grinned when Kolin mentionted that he would have to listen politics for the next few days. "Well, my offer of sanctuary still stands." She replied with a teasing wink.

She eventually moved back into the space they had been using for Kolin's Lessons. "So how are you at reactionary use of magic?" She asked, still working to gauge the extent of Kolin's skills and expertise with the magic he already knew.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:59 pm

"I promise to leave you enough time to make the bed and dust the furniture." Kolin grinned, standing up after finishing his lunch. Pausing for a moment, frowning in concentration, he summoned up a buffeting wind to cascade the takeout containers across the table, dumping the lot into a trashcan in the corner. An impressive achievement... except for the crumbs and chicken grease left in a streak along the path the whole mess took. "Eh.... Didn't think that one through."

Taking a moment to get a more conventional cleaning rag, he answered as he wiped down the table. "Hm, interesting question. I've often had to suppress reactions to use magic, since I have to hide it in public. Valencii sometimes drills me, but... he's not too quick himself, save when he's tracking down a new, or very old, book."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:31 am

Freya chuckled as Kolin promised to give her warning before he stopped by. "If you like." She replied cheerfully. As he stood, she thought they would get back to training, though she supposed Kolin did, in a way. She stifled a laugh as she noticed the streaks of mess left behind as the takeout containers were pushed into the trashcan. "Maybe lift first next time." She gently suggested when Kolin admitted a lack of forethought.

She did laugh when Kolin described Valencii's lack of speed. "Uh-huh, so if I were to..." as she spoke, a nearby piece of blank paper lifted into the air, and crumpled into a ball. "...do this?" As she finished her question, the ball of paper hurtled through the air aimed at Kolin's face.

"I'm reminded of a game they played at the Unseen University." She continued. "A pair of students would use magic to send a ball at each other, while simultaneously keeping themselves from being hit with said ball..." She trailed off as she tried to remember the name of the game.