Private Lessons

Feila is now home to a wide range of advanced technology that makes Earth's present day computers look like children's toys. Sentient androids walk the streets as free citizens, robots have taken over much of the industrial work, and the youth surf the streets on hover boards. Medicine has become so advanced that the disabled can be fitted with cybernetic limbs, while those seeking super strength can find said technology on the black market. Politics have shifted greatly, and Edwin has become a cold and controlling authoritarian state, with each of the remaining nations changed in its own manner. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

Re: Private Lessons

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:17 am

Kolin had to chew on her answer for a few seconds before replying. "Capitalism as a universal cultural solvent? I suppose that makes a kind of sense; it explains why there was less inbuilt resistance to the Party's re-writing of history. There wasn't as much left of it as there was in other countries." He nodded. "I believe that does answer my question, thanks."

Streching, the hybrid summoned up the hover-craft winds to carry the cart again. "Raymon should be finished by now, I think we can head back." He wasn't quite finished talking yet, though. Freya made for an easy conversation partner, which was not something Kolin often found. It was one of the reasons that he didn't have such a large circle of friends, despite hardly being opposed to expanding it. "Have any other questions for me? About the only one I have coming to mind is what your favorite kind of dessert is. Mine is pastries." A bit of an odd question, but then it was getting on towards teatime, or dinner if one didn't hold to old Edwinian meal times.
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Freya nodded solemnly as Kolin summarized her reasoning in a much more succinct way than she had. “It’s probably much more multifaceted and nuanced, but that’s the basic root of it as far as I noticed. When you’re living through the changes it makes it more difficult to get that broad outsider’s look at times.” She smiled. “I’m glad it answered your question.”

She watched with a grin as Kolin used a cushion of air to lift the crate of books for easier transportation. “Hopefully he is, if not, I suppose we’ll have to find something relatively quiet to do.” She replied as they started heading back toward the building. She pondered Kolin’s question for a few moments. “Oh, there are so many, but if I have to narrow it down to one…” She thought for a couple more moments. “…I’d have to say cheesecake.” She gave a slightly mischievous grin. “What’s your ideal first date?” She asked, those slightly teasing tones returning to her voice.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:29 pm

As teasing as the question may have been, Kolin gave it serious thought. After all, the answer might actually be relevant to his near future. Who knew? "Well..." Looking over to the lights of Bayreuth in the distance, he grinned. "Slalom race through the skyline, come into a restaurant via the roof and pay everyone's bill along with our own as we eat the most expensive thing on the menu." He turned his grin back on her. "Just 'cause I'm modest most of the time doesn't mean I don't like being rich. There's certain kinds of amazing that money can't buy, but other types of amazing that only money can buy. An ideal first date for me would have both."

Still chuckling, he pushed the crate back into the warehouse just as Raymon was coming up the stairs. The mouse was dusting off his hands on his clothes, not noticing the pair having messed with his books as he said. "That should do it. Oh, goo timing, Zeke's on call waiting downstairs."

Kolin blinked. "What, already? Best get to it then, Freya."

Indeed, as they went to the basement, the piebald dragon's scaly visage was indeed visible on the vid-call. He raised an eyebrow one fraction of a centimeter upon seeing Freya, but his slight smile did not slip one iota. "Ah, Kolin, Freya, it is good to see you again. The professor, it seems, has reopened her classes, from what Raymon tells me?"

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Freya tilted her head, and watched closely as Kolin gave her question some thought. She gave a smile of her own as he gave his answer. She gave a soft chuckle as the thought came to her that the first part of his answer was rather restrictive, or perhaps very specific. “That sounds like it could be a lot of fun.” She replied with a genuine smile.

Freya was a little surprised to see Raymon coming up the stairs as they got back into the warehouse. “Ready for those notes I put together?” She asked before he commented on their timing and mentioned that Zeke was waiting on call. She gave a quick laugh. “I hope you’ll forgive me if I’m a little skeptical of any coincidence in our timing.” She replied before nodding to Kolin. “Alright, let’s see what he’s got to say for himself.” She replied in light tones as they headed for the basement.

She tilted her head a bit at the reaction that their appearance elicited from the dragon on the other end of the line. It almost seemed as though he had not expected her to be there. “Hello Zechariah, Good to see you too.” She used the first name she had known him by out of habit more than anything. She chuckled, and shook her head slightly when he mentioned her resuming classes. “I don’t know that I would call it classes quite yet, more like some private tutoring for now.” She replied with a genuine smile.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:43 pm

If Freya thought about it for a bit, she might realize the specificity of Kolin's answer was largely due to the fact that the only two girls he was ever interested in were winged like himself. Flight was so essential to his identity, it was hard to relate on deep levels to anyone that couldn't share it.

If Raymon ever felt disconnected, though, he never showed it. The only emotion on his face was eager interest as he took hold of the notes. "Hm, yes... fascinating. I wonder... perhaps I should have asked about my ancestry too..."

Meanwhile, Zechariah looked slightly more relaxed after his fellow dragon greeted him. "Well, we all have to start somewhere. The University was once eight wizards in a shed. A large shed, to be sure, that called itself a 'manor.' Magical experiments being what they are, it didn't last long. I trust you have been more careful in your lessons plans." He chuckled, but did not stay off topic for long. "To get down to business, I have an offer, and a request. I have word on an available venue for your continued lessons; it's an isolated place out in the western woods of Gawain, far enough away and secure from foreign and domestic surveillance. It can be made available for your use... on the condition you do a favor for a friend of mine. A bloodline thought dormant has revived in her offspring, and the lad needs tutoring. You'll have to meet with them, in order to assure her of your credentials, but I have no doubt that you will. Is that fair?"

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:15 pm

Freya raised an eyebrow at Raymon’s mention of his ancestry. “Well, when we’ve both got a day’s free time, I can take you back to do some digging if you like.” She offered.

Freya raised an eyebrow a bit when Zechariah mentioned the university starting as eight mages in a shed. “Well, I suppose that’s proof that great things can come from humble beginnings.” She replied with a soft chuckle. She shrugged when the topic of the dangerous nature of magical experimentation and lesson plans came up.
The other dragon had her full attention though when he mentioned having an offer and a request. “Oh, a place out in the wilds would be wonderful.” She commented in wistful tones. “To fly above the forests again…it’s been quite some time.”
She snapped herself out of her reminiscence when the condition of a favor was brought up. She listened closely to the condition. She assumed from the way Zechariah mentioned a revived bloodline that the tutoring in question would be magical in nature. Since she was already working on teaching Kolin more about magic, she didn’t see the harm in taking on another student.
“I don’t mind doing that, as long as Kolin doesn’t mind having a fellow student.” She furrowed her brows in thought for a moment. “If I may ask, who’s your friend, and which bloodline? Would I know them?” She asked. She couldn’t help but laugh when Zechariah mentioned assuring his friend of her credentials. “You mean an endorsement from The Dragon of the West isn’t enough?” She asked in mock horror. She couldn’t help but tease the old dragon on the other side of the line.
She gave Zechariah a wide grin before she spoke again. “I wouldn’t mind meeting with them. Just let me know when and where.”

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:01 pm

Zechariah steepled his fingers right in front of his chin, in a gesture that Freya would likely have found familiar. The old dragon was clearly hesitant to give out too much information, but knew the request was a fair one. "Raymon assures me his communications are secure, but I hope you will forgive an old survivor for being paranoid. I assure you, when you find out of whom I am speaking, you will understand my desire to keep electronic transmission of information to a minimum. But to give you as much as I can answer... you would not know my friend, though the family is very old, and I know for a fact you have met other members of the family throughout the ages. It was not until relatively recently until magic came into their line, however. In fact, it's one of the few cases I know where a bloodline emerged post-purge, so it has not had much time to be diluted, though it is recessive, so as far as I know, only one magic user was ever born to them." He sighed, letting his fingers drop into an interlaced pattern. "And my friend is the sort of fur who never takes anyone else's word for it, and I find it hard to blame them; their attitude has brought them far."

The dragon cracked his knuckles, letting his hands drop at last. "The best place to meet would be at Rackenhammer pass in the Dresden Mountains; there's an old tavern that was recently refurbished, but not opened to the public quite yet; called Die Rackenrathaus. I will call in another favor to have the proprietor arrange a private meeting, and I can vouch for the refreshments."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:23 pm

Freya could understand Zechariah’s desire to protect the information he had, but she still raised an eyebrow when he mentioned the security of electronic communications. She gave Zechariah a slightly lopsided grin that should have given away that her next words were giving him a good natured hard time. “You know there are other ways to share information than electronic transmissions, or did you forget those spells?” She teased.

She nodded, her demeanor returning to a more appropriate level of seriousness as Zechariah did share what information he was comfortable sharing. An old family she’d had contact with before, her mind wandered down an internal list of possibilities. She found it to be rather interesting that the bloodline’s magical expression was fairly recent, and apparently magical offspring were not common.

She chuckled when not taking anyone else’s word was mentioned. “Well, if that’s what works for them. I suppose it’s not the worst outlook to have.” She replied.

When Zechariah revealed the location their meeting would be held, her brows furrowed, and the internal list she was working on was slashed to one family she was relatively sure they would be meeting. She grinned when Zechariah mentioned ensuring their meeting would be private, and vouching for the refreshments. “Fair enough.” She replied. “Would it be okay to bring Kolin along if he wants to come? How much time do I have? I’d kind of like to travel the old fashioned way, you know, on my own wings.” She paused a moment. “If worse comes to worse, a simple message that they’re ready, and I can use more expedient methods.”

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:35 pm

Zechariah seemed unfazed by Freya's teasing; being an old dragon, he'd rather gotten used to such things. "Oh, I remember. But you will forgive an old friend for wanting to retain some surprises for his- friends?" There was a slight pause before the last word, a betrayal of past conflicts. Dragons, as a species, lived long and pursued long-term agendas. These did not always harmonize well with their fellow-fire lizards, which may well explain their current rarity. He and Freya had their conflicts in the past, but now? Now time had run out of most of Zech's plans, leaving little room for disagreement.

Of course, as the hotheaded mammal in the conversation, Kolin had to butt in here. "It sounds to me like you're worried that Freya would refuse if she knew who it was she was helping."
That elicited a smoky snort of irritation from the piebald dragon. "Honestly, my friend was more worried than I was. Not to say I wasn't, but on the whole I didn't think the past conflicts would prove relevant." Clicking his tongue, Zech took rein of his emotions again, and answered Freya's questions. "Impetuosity aside, it probably would be good for Kolin to come along; having a fellow student around will no doubt help you reach out. You have as much time as you need; we can carve out a time to accommodate a biological flight."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:41 pm

Freya tilted her head a bit when Zechariah implied he was unsure if he could consider her a friend. She thought that their previous meeting in his car would have let him know she had put past grievances behind. She gave a brief nod of assurance that he could consider her a friend, at least for now. It was hard to say if or when their plans would bring them to be at odds again, but for now they seemed to be working toward a common goal.

Freya chuckled at Kolin’s conclusion and Zechariah’s reaction. “If it’s the family I’m thinking of, the good experiences for the most part outweigh the bad.” She commented. “Besides, a new generation deserves a fresh chance in my opinion.”

Freya grinned and looked at Kolin when Zech mentioned that it would be good to bring Kolin along. “Well, what do you think?” She asked him. “Care to join me on a nice flight to the Dresden Mountains?” She looked back at Zech “It’s been a while since I last had a flight like that.” She reached out to Kolin telepathically “You could tell your mother we’re off on a romantic getaway if you think she’d believe it.” She gave Kolin a wink before speaking aloud again. “We should probably start in the morning, best not to wait too long.”

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:37 pm

It was relieving for Zechariah to have confirmation that bygones were indeed bygones. Upon hearing of fresh generations deserving a chance, though, the image of the student in question was brought to the forefront of his mind. He took a deep breath, almost akin to a sigh. "Well... I suppose. One must also cut slack for the folly of youth."

If the flaring of Kolin's wings were any indication, he was more than happy to join her on a nice flight. "Good thing it's summer! That route's hell in the winter. Ask me how I know!" He laughed, responding in kind to her telepathic notice: *It can't hurt. Helps that she's met you before, and knows we've known each other for a bit.*

Zech clapped his claws. "It sounds as if we have a plan and schedule. I shall inform them. It will be good to see you in person again, but until then, Auf Wiedersein." The comm was cut, leaving the two of them alone with the basement once more.
"Sounds like I'd best start packing my bag. Thankfully, I usually keep an overnight ready; you know where MEZER HQ is, right? I'll be on the roof of that building at 7."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:45 pm

Freya chuckled at Kolin’s mention of their fortune in choosing summer to fly to the Dresden Mountains, and the implications that seasonal weather was to blame. “Ah I think I can guess.” She replied. “And that does give me a couple ideas for practice along the way.” She commented with a grin.

She nodded when Zech clapped his claws. “Indeed, I look forward to it.” She replied with a warm smile. She looked at Kolin for a moment when he mentioned packing his bag, then nodded. “Yes, I suppose I should get some things prepared as well.” She agreed. “I do, and I will be there.” She replied. “Just make sure nobody’s going to mistake me for something that needs to be shot down.” She quipped cheerfully before she started for the door. “I think this will be a fun trip.” She commented as she made her way outside, and took to the air.

She arrived at her own home a short time later, and began preparations for the trip; though it was probably a different process than Kolin’s. She went through and gathered together clothing, food, water, cooking and eating utensils, and a few other various sundry items all into one place in her home. When she was satisfied that she had gathered what she felt would be needed for the trip, she opened a portal. This portal was a little different though; it didn’t lead to any particular location on Feila, but rather to an extradimentional pocket space. It was a convenient place to store a lot of stuff without carrying it. With everything stored, she grabbed a bag and stuffed a change of clothes into it. The bag was mostly to serve as a semi-plausible disguise for when she pulled stuff from her storage space.

As their meeting time neared, she took to the air again. She had plenty of time so she made her way to MEZER HQ at a fairly leisurely pace. She found herself in high spirits as she flew through the city. She was looking forward to the long flight, the upcoming meeting, and the chance for uninterrupted time alone with Kolin. She circled the building a couple times before she swooped down. As she neared the roof, she flapped her wings heavily a couple times, and dropped lightly to the roof. She looked around with a grin.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:44 am

Kolin was waiting on the rooftop when Freya arrived, doing warm-up stretches in the sunrise. The sight would have made for a good banner ad for some outdoors-wear company, accompanied by some pithy statement about seizing the day. The hybrid was certainly aiming to seize this one, packed up and washed up so early.

He turned around to greet the dragoness with a nod. "Guten Marten. Just let me get strapped up here." The bag was more of a frontpack than a backpack, which made sense. After all, it was much more convenient to strap a load to the undercarriage rather than risk any interference with his wings. Especially as he was counting on them to take him so far. Didn't make the sight any less funny while on the ground, though.

"Mph, there we go. Hang on..." He flapped his wings a bit, not quite able to take off from a standing start, until a bit of magic leaked through his feathered appendages. Kolin seemed unconscious of whatever spell he was casting, but it seemed to do the trick, his wings biting the air and lifting him off. "Ha, now here we go. Shall we get started on our journey?"

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:52 pm

Freya had to admit that she was a little surprised that Kolin didn’t comment on her packing, or apparent lack thereof when she landed. She smiled when he greeted her. “Good morning.” She replied. “Looks like you’ve been ready to go for a while now.” She commented with a slight chuckle.

She watched as he strapped himself into a pack, and get himself ready to take off. “Planning on a bit of camping on the way, or were you thinking hotels and motels?” She asked with some curiosity. She watched with a slightly dubious expression once Kolin was strapped in, and attempting to take off. She almost started to suggest that she store his things as well, before she felt his use of magic to aid his takeoff.

Freya grinned up at Kolin from the roof for a moment before she spread her own wings. She gave them several heavy flaps, and took quickly to the air again. “Yes, let’s get started.” She replied with a large grin as she maneuvered close enough to Kolin to allow them to talk to each other without risking one set of wings interfering with the other.

“Ahh…nothing quite matches the feeling of the wind flowing over your wings.” She commented before turning her attention mostly to Kolin. “What was that bit of magic you used to get yourself into the air?” She asked with some curiosity.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:12 pm

(Forum keeps eating my replies, bleah)

He'd been up since the sunrise, long enough to shake all the tiredness out of his bones and body. Combine that with being a natural morning fur, Kolin was actually chipper as he took off alongside Freya. "Oh, there's a set of cabins my family has a standing reservation at near the Dresden Foothills. We catch the right winds and we should be there by nightfall. Of course, the hills mountains are gonna be a slower traversal." He shot her a bit of a sheepish grin. "I'd rather not rough it if we don't have to. I can do without electricity, but not running water. I could never take a birdbath."

The hybrid knew the Bayreuth skyline like the back of his head, where all the commercial and industrial sectors had updrafts as their by-products. Almost on instinct, he turned and banked towards each, able to practically glide to high altitude and let the tailwinds carry them out of the city. Flight, to him, was purely lodged in the cerebellum at this point, hence the odd look he gave the dragoness at her next question. "Er, I flap harder? That usually works."

A somewhat more informative answer could be gained by taking an aura-scan of him in flight. A small bit of magic was animating his wings, as it did for all avians. Hollow skeletons or not, pure physics and biology would not sustain flight for creatures of their proportions otherwise, hence the propensity of avians to have magic bloodlines.