Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Private Lessons

Feila is now home to a wide range of advanced technology that makes Earth's present day computers look like children's toys. Sentient androids walk the streets as free citizens, robots have taken over much of the industrial work, and the youth surf the streets on hover boards. Medicine has become so advanced that the disabled can be fitted with cybernetic limbs, while those seeking super strength can find said technology on the black market. Politics have shifted greatly, and Edwin has become a cold and controlling authoritarian state, with each of the remaining nations changed in its own manner. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
Asyriel
God
United States of America

Re: Private Lessons

Post by Asyriel » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:01 am

(ugh...sorry. I hope you didn't have to go back and rewrite it.)

Freya nodded when Kolin mentioned staying in cabins for the night. She had nothing against roughing it, but she wasn’t about to turn down amenities. “Sounds like a plan then.” She commented in reply.

She couldn’t help but chuckle at the answer Kolin gave to her question of how he managed the greater load of his pack. That, and a more thorough look his aura confirmed that it had been something of the innate variety rather than something done consciously.

She easily followed Kolin through the city to find thermals to carry them ever higher into the sky. As they caught favorable winds, something else came to mind as an exercise for Kolin to try as they made their way toward their destination. There was something else she wanted to ask her companion first though.

“So, if you don’t mind my asking. What did you tell your parents about this trip? That is if you told them anything I suppose.”

"Have you ever tried to effect the winds while you fly?" She asked. "Or perhaps creating a bubble of calm when you run into turbulent air?"

Sponsor

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Kolin shrugged, a maneuver of no small dexterity when airborne. "I left a note saying that I was going out to the woods for a few days with you. Part of the reason we're dropping by the cabins is for verisimilitude. Now, I expect I'll have to be much more elaborate when we get back, but who knows."

Her next question puzzled him, though not because he couldn't answer it. "No." It was simple enough, but the question was so obvious he had to think for a while why he never had tried to manipulate the air while flying. "It's like... trying to walk, by levitating pieces of the ground up to meet you. I suppose you could do it, but... it makes you think about things you're actually bad at if you think about them. You don't try to oil a bicycle wheel while you're pedaling, either." He didn't feel it the best articulation, but it was as clear as he could make his thought process. "Plus... I've never had it that bad from turbulence, anyway."
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:44 am

Freya chuckled as Kolin explained what he had told his parents about their trip, but more specifically, how he had done it. “Well, I suppose that’s one way to avoid questions and discussions before leaving.” She replied. “Though I won’t be surprised to learn they had plenty for you when we get back.” She continued with a wink. “And all the more reason to make it to those cabins today.”

She tilted her head a bit at his reply to her questions on using magic to aid his flights. “I suppose it could be like that.” She replied in thoughtful tones. “Though I always looked at it more like adding a turbocharger, and air ride suspension to a good car.” She commented, without thinking about the archaic nature of her analogy. “You don’t really need to have either, but they can make for a quicker and more comfortable ride.” To emphasize her point, she summoned a strong tail wind to fill her wings, and propel her forward ahead of Kolin. She eventually slowed down and matched speeds with him again once they were alongside each other again.

She grinned at him. “It’s also another opportunity to use your magic in different ways. The more creative you can be with it, the less any opponent will be able to counter anything you’re trying to do.”

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:58 pm

The historically-minded Kolin did in fact catch the reference to archaic technology. Car culture was another one of those dead cultural tropes so beloved by Edwinian historians, most of whom came from the intellectual class who despised the hicks that clung to their gas guzzlers. Irony was lost among a certain breed of scholars. Though not on the hybrid, who had a flat expression just full of it as he replied, "Well, when I see you performing that little operation on said antique while driving it, then maybe I'll monkey around with my aerodynamics."

The dragoness wasn't currently in a car, but did the next best thing on short notice by summoning a timely tailgust. He still looked a little skeptical as he slowly caught up, feeling as if she were offering the equivalent of training in self-appendectomies. Nonetheless, he couldn't deny that it worked. "Hm... maybe later, when we're less burdened."
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length