Private Lessons

Feila is now home to a wide range of advanced technology that makes Earth's present day computers look like children's toys. Sentient androids walk the streets as free citizens, robots have taken over much of the industrial work, and the youth surf the streets on hover boards. Medicine has become so advanced that the disabled can be fitted with cybernetic limbs, while those seeking super strength can find said technology on the black market. Politics have shifted greatly, and Edwin has become a cold and controlling authoritarian state, with each of the remaining nations changed in its own manner. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

Re: Private Lessons

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:11 am

Kolin was more than happy to dismiss these dark reflection on his own society, rather quickly and easily, considering the way darkness in a foreign country possessed some of his mental real estate at almost every waking hour. Freya might have been able to place this attitude in historical context as a kind of neo-Imperialism, which would recall one of her own country's less proud political phases.

But it was the personal that was taking priority for them both, right now. Keeping an appreciative eye on the Dragoness as she stretched them came to take a seat, he yawned, propping himself up on one elbow. "Mph, I am not looking forward to the day I reach your age, then!" He laughed at the joke; current medical technology could do much for life-extension, and was likely to get better, but 1,000+ years was probably a lot to ask for someone with no draconic heritage. "And I'd appreciate the help, thank you. I feel the need for a shower, but I don't want to fall asleep in the stall."
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:22 pm

Freya consciously avoided dwelling on Kolin’s attitude. She liked him, and some part of her hoped that she may be able to help him avoid pitfalls along the way.

She chuckled at the comment of dreading the day he reached her age. “Oh, it’s not that bad. It’s more lack of practice than anything. You know the old saying, if you don’t use it you lose it.” She replied with a wink.

She grinned again as Kolin accepted her offer of help with his fatigue. She coaxed him into a sitting position, and plopped herself behind him. “When I work healing magic, I prefer to work through contact.” She commented as she started massaging his neck, shoulders, and upper back around the joints where his wings connected. As she worked, she gently channeled magic to wash away built up lactic acid, and work repairs on the muscles. Before long, she shifted her magic a bit to focus on relaxing the muscles, and donating energy that Kolin’s body could immediately use. The final bit of energy would probably go the furthest toward making Kolin feel less tired. “If I did that well, a good night’s sleep, and you’ll just as refreshed as if you didn’t just spend an entire day flying.” She told him as she finished.

“Feeling ready for that shower?” She eventually asked. “Think you can manage without falling asleep, or do you need me to come with to keep an eye on you?” She asked with a teasing half grin.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:32 pm

It had been a while since Kolin had gotten anything like a massage; the knots that began to loosen under Freya's care had knots built up over more than just one long flight. "Aahhhh..." He let out a groan, and then a purr, at the dragoness' healing touch. "Mmm... I think you're going to have to add this to the syllabus, the technique has- ooh, much to recommend itself." He almost felt as if he would stretch out and sleep, after so relaxing an experience, just before the jolt of energy hit him.

"Ah, there we go!" Rolling his neck, and feeling no cracks, he stood up with a grin. "Eh, I think I'll be good on my own. The stalls aren't exactly private, either. There's being at peace with the rumor mill, and then just hanging one's limbs over the fence in the alligator exhibit!" Laughing, he pulled a towel out of his bag and went out to wash the sweat out of his fur.

Thankfully, Yvette and her party were nowhere to be seen, and he was able to take a quick wash in peace. Turning off the shower, he picked up the towel to begin to dry off, before pausing. An idea occurred to him... a quick look showed no bystanders. Snapping his fingers, he summoned up a wind, concentrating it over his fur to act as a magical blow dryer. In concert with a bit of vigorous rubbing, he soon felt dry and fresh. Grinning at his achievement, he returned back to the cabin, aiming just to get a ration bar out of his bag, then hit the bed soon after.

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:47 pm

With her hands on him, and the magical connection she channeled energy through, she could feel when said energy hit him. She moved her hands as he got up, and laughed at the colorful imagery he described. “Only if we shared a stall.” She teased as he grabbed his towel. “Have fun, and don’t let Yvette catch you.” She laughed as he left the cabin.

When the door shut, Freya got up. She realized that she was rather hungry, but doubted Kolin wanted to spend much time out where there was a chance of a repeat encounter like they’d had when they landed. She glanced around briefly to make sure nobody was peeking in any windows, and opened a portal to her storage space. She reached in, and pulled a cooler through. She produced anything that wasn’t already in the cabin that she would need to cook a meal.

She was well into getting everything ready for the actual cooking by the time Kolin came back into the cabin. She looked over her shoulder as he came in. “Oh hey!” She looked back down at what she had been working on before looking at Kolin again. “Um…well, I was thinking you’d be a bit longer for some reason.” She explained with a shrug. “I’ll have something fixed up before too long if you don’t mind the wait, and if you don’t mind stir fry.” She commented before going back to what she was working on.

It wasn’t much longer before she had two plates of spicy Mongolian beef stir fry ready to go. She offered a plate to Kolin before she sat down to dig into her own meal. “So how many of those parties did you get drug to?” She asked before taking a bite.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:06 am

Kolin shrugged as he took a seat on the side of his bed. "I won't mind either especially." Particularly as the alternative would be chomping down on one of the nutrient bars he'd stuffed in his bag before leaving. Interdimensional packaging was a lovely thing; if it could be commercialized, there well could be another technocratic fortune made from selling it...

These business musings occupied his mind until dinner was served. The hybrid's first few bites were a rapid succession of tearing and gulping to take the edge off of a day-long cultivation of hunger, but after that he was prepared to eat like a civilized being, and converse. "Hm, I rather lost count. They ranged from the high-class soiree to what essentially amounted to fashionable slumming. Yvette I first met in a discotheque that did a rousing business of providing the proletariat experience to upper bourgeois patrons. I'd pay hard crypto to see her face actual proles." He snickered at the mental image.

"Not to say I didn't have a social life before, had a favorite pub and everything. But, the owner and all my friends either died or had to leave town with no forwarding address, so I no longer had a valid excuse to refuse invitations. Until you came along, so thanks for that." Kolin smiled and nodded at Freya, toying with a sauce-soaked onion on his plate. "You have favorite hangouts yourself?"

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:08 pm

((sorry this took so long. Been a bit of a hectic week.))

Freya took the time while Kolin was scarfing to eat several large bites of her own meal. She listened as he talked about the various parties he’d been dragged to. She couldn’t help but chuckle a bit at the situation he described meeting Yvette in. It struck her as a little absurd, but she didn’t doubt that Kolin was telling the truth of it. “We could make that happen in you really wanted to.” She replied with an impish grin when he mentioned being willing to pay to see Yvette face actual proles.

She nodded with genuine sympathy when Kolin talked about his previous social life, and the loss of his friends. She was no stranger to loss. It was something she’d learned to cope with and she was sure Kolin would learn as well, in time.

She hung her head, and her scales darkened a bit with embarrassment when Kolin asked about her favorite hangouts. “As much as I hate to admit to it…” She started. “I’ve been a bit of a recluse since I came to Gawain.” She paused for a moment. “I mean aside from the occasional sale, or meeting with a contact in the resistance.” She looked up and gave Kolin a smile. “Didn’t really have many other reasons for going out; well until recently.” She gave a soft chuckle. “The sky is my favorite place to be, but there are a couple dive bars, and a park or two not too far from my place that I go to when I do feel the need to get out.” Her grin turned impish again. “Maybe I’ll take you to one sometime after we get back.”

She finished her meal, and set her plate aside before laying back and sighing. Her mind wandered back to her first meeting with Kolin’s mother. “Did you end up telling your mother how old I am?” She asked idly as she stared up at the ceiling before looking at Kolin.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:49 pm

Kolin didn't know how serious Freya's offer to expose Yvette to the real world was, but he laughed along with her, filing it away for reference. He never knew when his folks would spring another soiree or somesuch upon him, and he was resolved not to take the company on its own terms any more. Of course, this attitude towards socialization was probably not the healthiest; Freya could well empathize with that, from the sounds of it.

"Sounds good. Do let me know next time you feel like leaving your den. Dragons don't actually keep hoards, do they?" The question came to the hybrid's mind, and escaped his mouth before he could stop it. "I, uh, never quite had the courage to ask old Zeke that." Polishing off the last of the meal, Kolin stretched out on the bunk, wings flaring before wrapping around his body in a cover of feathers. "No, I don't recall I ever did. Just didn't relish the conversation that would follow, I guess."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:17 pm

Freya grinned when Kolin expressed interest in joining her at what would likely be a much less fancy place than any he’d been dragged to by others. She laughed when he asked about keeping a hoard, and admitted he’d not had the courage to ask Zeke. “Well, unfortunately I haven’t met many other dragons, but I’d say it varies by each individual. There is an urge to collect things that hold an interest. I admit to having a collection that my library is only part of.” She chuckled before she spoke again. “I suppose you could call it a hoard fairly easily.” She gave a slight shrug. “Now that I think about it, it’s not really something I’ve ever compared notes with others about. I know there are times that there is just a visceral urge to have something, and hide it away somewhere that I can keep it forever.”

She raised an eyebrow a bit as Kolin wrapped his wings around himself. She wasn’t sure if it was triggered by her question, or something else. “Ah well, I can’t blame you much on that.” She replied when he responded. “Though I wonder if she would even believe it, at least without any samples to lend veracity to the claim.” She gave another soft chuckle. “Most others that I’ve met have a hard time believing my age, especially those that are unfamiliar with dragons.”

Freya shifted so she was laying on her side with her head propped up in her hand. “If you were able, do you think you could just walk away from it all?” She asked with a sudden curiosity.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:23 pm

"A hoard of books, huh? Yeah that sounds like you; if you ever want to give Raymon a Birthday present, a free weekend perusing the volumes would be perfect!" Kolin laughed, his wings flapping out before curling back again. He yawned, leaning his weight against the head board. It seemed that this was how he slept, to keep his body from resting uncomfortably on top of his wings.

He wasn't quite done yet, still awake enough to consider Freya's last question. "Walk away... suppose that depends on how far it would have to be to count for 'away.' Or whether 'could' refers to my emotional fortitude against change, or the economic and political ability to have my will be done against external forces. I don't know how big an 'if' that 'if I'm able' really is...." He sighed, shaking his head. "I know I've complained about my status, but really, I wouldn't have survived with these genes if my family didn't have the money to sustain my medical bills in the early years. Nor would my ambition to liberate my mother's motherland mean much if I didn't have the future prospect of a fortune waiting for me. To turn my back on all that... I'd need a better motivation than merely ridding myself of inconveniences. Not like I wouldn't find trouble away from it all too, you know?"

He yawned again, curling up like a roosting bird. "Hoowah, I think that's enough for today... Goodninnt..." Trailing off, the Hybrid's feathers rustled, the owner having departed for dreamland.

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:49 pm

“Mostly, though there are other things in it too.” Freya replied to the question of a hoard of books. She chuckled at the idea of giving Raymon a free weekend with her books. “I think he’d need much more than a weekend, though I’ll keep that in mind.” She commented cheerfully.

She rolled onto her stomach and folded her wings to get more comfortable while she listened to Kolin’s answer to her question. She was pleasantly impressed by the thought process he worked through aloud as he answered. She gave a sleepy grin at his full response. “I think that’s actually a very good answer.” She replied. “Not that I expect you to need my validation, but I do like the way you look at it.” She gave a yawn of her own as Kolin curled up to sleep. “Night.” She replied before drifting off herself.

Freya woke early the next morning, and returned to pulling supplies from her storage pocket. She pulled out supplies for her favorite breakfast fare, scrambled eggs and bacon with toast. She fried up the bacon first before cooking the eggs in the bacon grease. She was happy to let Kolin sleep as long as he wanted, but she didn’t think it would be long before he woke, and was ready for breakfast.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:07 pm

Kolin awoke with a stretching yawn and a rustling of feathers. He was somewhat bleary-eyed from having woken up so soon, but otherwise seemed well rested. Freya's magical massage from the night before had meant the hybrid would wake with no soreness in his muscles, the only pain being that of hunger, and that was easily sated from the bacon and eggs.

"Danke." He thanked her before digging in, pausing in his breakfast to empty a whole pack of instant coffee crystals into his mouth and washing them down with a swig of water. "It's a bad habit, I know, but what of it? I hate waiting for coffee in the morning." In all things, Kolin was disinclined to dawdle; every wasted second made a second meeting with Yvette all the more probable. Once breakfast was packed inside him, everything else was to be packed inside his bags, and the pair were to be up before the sun fully cleared the horizon.

This, thankfully, was accomplished in good time, and the vixen emerged from her cabin only to not quite be able to see Kolin wave to her before disappearing over the curve of the hills. "There, I don't think she'll chase us. We've got a good headwind, we might make it through the pass before nightfall. That'll cut a day off our travel time."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:10 pm

Freya was happy to see that her efforts the night before with Kolin seemed to have worked rather well, and he seemed no worse for wear.

She handed him a plate of eggs and bacon before sitting to work on her own plate. “You’re quite welcome.” She instinctively cringed a little, and shook her head as she watched him empty instant coffee crystals directly into his mouth. She wasn’t quite sure which was worse, the fact that it was instant coffee, or that he was pouring it right into his mouth. “I could have made some relatively quickly.” She protested, though she didn’t carry the protest any further. While Kolin got himself ready to go, Freya packed her own things into her storage pocket. As they headed out of the cabin, she threw on her own bag, and they took to the sky.

As they headed away from the cabins, and Kolin waved to Yvette, Freya couldn’t resist the urge to show off. She twisted around, took a deep breath and blew a large plume of fire in Yvette’s direction. She turned around, and chuckled. “She’ll probably think that was a mod of some sort too.” She commented before nodding at Kolin’s assessment. “And if it doesn’t, I won’t be disappointed.” She replied with a grin. “I’m rather enjoying myself.” She looked around for a few moments, taking in the early morning mountain scenery before she spoke again. “Got plans for where we’re staying tonight?” She asked, curious after the news of the cabins the day before.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Kolin was quite surprised, though not really displeased, at Freya's parting gift for Yvette. He left it without comment, though, fixing his eyes towards the mountain-obscured Horizon. "I really don't have plans. There's any number of small hotels or remote bed and breakfast places; the mountain scenery draws a fair number of tourists. If we don't make it to Castle Rackenhammer by nightfall, we can stop at one of those."

Seems that old Zeke had told Kolin where they were staying. Of course, that name didn't mean anywhere near as much to Kolin as it might to Freya.

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:43 am

Freya gave Kolin a sideways glance as he mentioned not having plans for the night; until he mentioned Castle Rackenhammer. She laughed. “Rackenhammer you say? I had a feeling.” She shook her head. “Perhaps these ones are Mia’s descendants.” She wondered aloud. “I suppose we should make haste then.” She commented with a grin.

Freya carefully worked magic throughout the day, gently coaxing the wind to continue in their favor.

The sun was hanging low in the sky when Castle Rackenhammer came into view. Freya smiled, and looked over at Kolin. “Well, looks like we’ve about made it.” She commented “Time to find out who this mystery student is.”

She circled the castle once before descending into the courtyard. After landing, she took a moment to straighten her clothes and hair a bit before looking at Kolin. “Ready? How do I look?” She asked.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:31 pm

"Mia?" Kolin didn't know the name; Zechariah had apparently not seen fit to tell him, and the exploits of the 21st century Merc had apparently not been featured in many histories of the era. As a point of fact, much of the family was not recorded in history, at least under the Rackenhammer name. Most of their prominent figures were called by their geonymic title, the von Wexlars. One such was even Gawain's current archancellor...

The tailwind was kind to the both of them, allowing them to drop onto the castle lawn as the sun dropped to the horizon. It wasn't exactly an expansive structure, having little room in the mountain crag in which it was nestled. It was the castle of a baron rather than a ducal estate, and so not much larger than an upper-class suburban home... from the outside. Being right up against a mountain, the only limit to cellar space was how much rock you could move.

Kolin wiped the sweat from his brow, using it to slick back his own hair. "Eh, I think you look good, but I'm not exactly a harsh critic. But its not like we're meeting- Chancellor von Wexlar!" The sudden shock in the hybrid's voice revealed that, yes, indeed, the head of the Gawainian state was coming out to greet them. She was rather short and stocky for a musteline, looking on the older-side of middle aged, which given current life extension technology, could put several more decades than first apparent under her belt. What time she had spent on this planet had left her yet unbowed, and she came out to greet them in what looked to be a comfortable dress.

"I see Zechariah was a little pessimistic about your arrival time. Well, no matter. It is as well that you are early, the sooner this... problem is addressed, the better. I trust I need no introduction, but you are...?"

"Kolin von Drake." The winged hybrid bowed, not quite feeling comfortable shaking hands at this point. "I guess this would explain why Zechariah was so coy in revealing who we'd be working with."