Believe the Tabloids (Domus)

Feila is now home to a wide range of advanced technology that makes Earth's present day computers look like children's toys. Sentient androids walk the streets as free citizens, robots have taken over much of the industrial work, and the youth surf the streets on hover boards. Medicine has become so advanced that the disabled can be fitted with cybernetic limbs, while those seeking super strength can find said technology on the black market. Politics have shifted greatly, and Edwin has become a cold and controlling authoritarian state, with each of the remaining nations changed in its own manner. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
Larcen
Duke
Duke
Species: Coyote

Re: Believe the Tabloids (Domus)

Post by Larcen »

The humor was not entirely lost on Chrys, but he was too miserable to do more than hmph a laugh. At the question, however, the dragon hung his head and shut his eyes. "No. Those aren't my parents and that isn't me." Storytime. Chrys tilted his head to the side and poked the Play button on the tape deck with one of the spikes sticking back from his jaw. The stereo flickered to life, obediently rendering Chrys' favorite song to be sad by (his song here)

"That was just what some artist drew, about a week before Mom died. She hated it, 'cuz he made us look perfect. She made him do it again, and do it realistically." He tapped the picture, spinning it around. The flip side was horrifyingly different from the beautiful family pictured before.

In it, Chrys now towered over his parents, his head having to bow to fit in the picture. His father barely had a face, the flesh being swollen and lumpy, and the bumps that usually characterized a bearded dragon had turned to sharp, horny spikes. One of his arms was a massive, barely recognizeable pile of meat, the other nearly skeletal, with holes in between the ulna and radius. And yet, he was smiling. Chrys' mother looked pained, her torso sticking out in all the wrong places as if someone had turned her ribcage askew. Her neck was long and thin, curved sharply to the side. Even so, there was a very weak smile on her lips.

"THOSE are my parents," Chrys said, voice cracking. "Mom and Dad...why did they still love me? They tried. They tried so hard, wearing breath masks around me. Dad did really good about wearing his. But Mom..." He slammed his head into the ground with an earthy thud. "She was so stupid! She always insisted on kissing me good night, every night. And they had to take them off to eat...It was bound to happen. WHY did she do that?! She already had hatched without any ribs...they had to open her up and shove pieces of plastic jugs under her skin just so she could breathe. You'd think that woulda been enough for her to be careful, wouldn't it?"

The dragon swung his head around to look the minks in the eye. "They tried being careful...but then Mom started to cough. Dad said it wasn't my fault, but I knew better. I KNEW IT!" The tears were streaming now, his old wounds gaping and letting it all gush out. "Right after that picture, she started coughing up blood. Black stuff. She died a week later. Dad was stronger. He lasted a couple more years. Then he started to cough. I couldn't kill him too, so I ran away. I don't wanna hurt anybody! That's why I ran here," he bawled, resting on his elbows and burying his head in his paws. "Now I can't hurt anybody."

The tape played on. ♫ I know there are those who are far sadder than I. They lost things they cannot replace, like the beauty in their eye. But through it all one thing is constant and remains: the lo--wvverrweerrrp. ♪ The tape had been warped, giving way to static and garbled garbage. Chris' tail flicked the machine off. Then he just huddled there and cried under the fluorescent hum.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

You say 'fundamentalist' like it's a bad thing. X3
Sponsor

Kael
God
God
Species: Panther or Dragon

Post by Kael »

Jan gave a little gasp at the revers side, before hearing the tale. When he was done, she regretted the fact she couldn't cry herself, as much as she may want to. "It really isn't your fault, Chrys. You must realize that you can't help what happened to you from an outside source. I myself was dangerous for a couple years before I finally could deal with my changes. Thankfully I had Solara with me. But you can't hide from yourself. You aren't a freak, believe me. I'm more of one, and unique to boot."
Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work: "Hello. Can't work today, still queer." ~Robin Tyler

War. Rape. Murder. Poverty. Equal rights for gays. Guess which one the Southern Baptist Convention is protesting? ~The Value of Families

Did you hear about the Scottish drag queen? He wore pants. ~Lynn Lavner

Why can't they have gay people in the army? Personally, I think they are just afraid of a thousand guys with M16s going, "Who'd you call a faggot?" ~John Stewart

Soldiers who are not afraid of guns, bombs, capture, torture or death say they are afraid of homosexuals. Clearly we should not be used as soldiers; we should be used as weapons. ~Letter to the editor, The Advocate
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

After staining the ground with a fresh coat of tears, Chrys muttered, "I wish I wasn't so unique. At least you can go out in public. They don't even make clothes in my size, and if I did go out, they'd still think I was Gojira or something--I mean, look at what I did to that truck, and I wasn't even trying that hard." He sniffed, lifting his head. "But what about you? You said you were dangerous before...what changed?" The lights of his eyes flickered at Jan in hope.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

Jan sat, holding out her arm. "Look at me, all of me. Look like a normal fur, right?" She tapped her arm, springing open a panel, which she pressed to open her stomach, which she showed by pulling up her shirt. "I was once a regular fur. Had a job, had Solara as a friend, lived like normal. But then I had an accident, a horrid one. I was in a coma for I don't know how long..."

Solara, over by the door, interrupted her. "She was out for 2 months. I remember sitting at her bedside for that length of time."

Jan stood suddenly. "I thought you were busy out there." she nearly accused.

"I got bored," Solara simply said. "I just heard you start telling your story, and wanted to fill in the details of what happened. She was out for 2 months before I finally got fed up with waiting. I took action on my own, dedicating a month of work towards her. At first i looked for a cure, but when it became apparent that wasn't happening, I looked for a way to make her work. I couldn't do without my best friend, my only friend I've ever had. I worked day in and day out to create her a new body, one that worked with no kinks. It ended up being another month before I finally perfected the body. I had to be careful with what I used, but thankfully my income was enough for me to get her the materials she needed. When I finished, I nearly crashed, but I needed to have her back. I had to argue for a week with the doctors to let me perform this surgery alone, but I finally got a go-ahead. I transplanted her brain from her old body to her new one, and waited. I waited for 2 days, despairing, thinking I killed her, before she finally woke. It was as if she was waking from a nap..." She stopped, crying suddenly.

Jan smiled. "It felt like I was. I was groggy, and clumsy, not knowing what had happened. When she finally told me, I was shocked, hurt, even a little angry. I couldn't believe I hadn't been asked. This lasted for a week, i believe, before I finally was slapped and told that she did this to help me. I realized then that she had loved me so much that she risked my life to bring me back again." Jan was choking up a bit now, not crying because she couldn't really.

Solara nodded. "Yes, that was why. And if I had to, I would do it all again. I know now I can do anything with you on the line. But that was when we both lost our jobs, too. We had to work together to join into the black market, and we were actually working to get parts to make more products for said market when we came across you."

Jan nodded. "I am unique. No one else has ever successfully transferred a fur into a cyborg, especially to look exactly like a normal one. Also, I have this," she said as her arm suddenly warped, parts moving to reveal a disintegration laser in her arm. "The military would LOVE to get a hold of this, and figure out how it works. But I won't let them have me or Sol. Never." She said this with a firmness that led you to believe she could pull that off.
Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work: "Hello. Can't work today, still queer." ~Robin Tyler

War. Rape. Murder. Poverty. Equal rights for gays. Guess which one the Southern Baptist Convention is protesting? ~The Value of Families

Why can't they have gay people in the army? Personally, I think they are just afraid of a thousand guys with M16s going, "Who'd you call a faggot?" ~John Stewart

Soldiers who are not afraid of guns, bombs, capture, torture or death say they are afraid of homosexuals. Clearly we should not be used as soldiers; we should be used as weapons. ~Letter to the editor, The Advocate
Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

Chrys listened intently to the story, though he was incapable of turning around in the tight room, except for his head. His eyes widened, then grew brighter and brighter as the story went on. The tip of his tail started to wag in an almost canine manner. When she was done, Chrys doubled over himself and grabbed Solara by the shoulders, his paws nearly enveloping her entire torso. The smoke from his nostrils puffed like a steam tractor as the dragon nearly hyperventilated with excitement. Unable to help himself, he shook her almost violently.

"Y-you can do that again, right? Right?!" The dragon's face was so close to the mink's that she could touch his eyeballs if she stuck her tongue out. "Do that to me! Cram my brain in a toaster if you have to, but please, PLEASE, fix me like you did her!" Chrys' dusty, scaly arms quivered with hope.

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

Solara meeped, eyes wide at the intensity in front of her. She remained silent, scared.

Jan interceded. "Chrys!" she said sharply as she laid a hand on his arm. "Be gentle. She's not as tough as you or I. And not nearly as stupidly courageous."

Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

Chrys was beginning to tear up again, the apparent answer to his troubles just within his grasp--in fact, he was in danger of crushing that answer between his paws. But then the touch on his arm broke his concentration, and relaxed his grip. "Huh? Oh...S-sorry..." He let go and planted his forepaws on the ground.

Chrys slipped by the minks out into the main room, and paced. "It's just...that's the perfect way out, don'tcha get it? Turn me into a robot--er, cyborg, whatever. I wouldn't be dangerous anymore, and you could make me a normal-sized person, not even a dragon anymore! I'd be normal! I could go out and have friends and...and..." The dragon's cheeks were wet again. "That's the only way, don't you see?" At least in a desperate, immature teenager's mind, it was the only option. "I'd be able to wear clothes...talk to people..." he said with a dreamy, sad sort of hope.

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

Solara shook until she regained composure, whilst memories were playing in her head. "Sorry, I just have had... experiences with larger people... But, I am not sure I can even help you, Chrys. You see, one factor as to why Jan works is because her body was pretty much identical to her original. No size-change, no body-morphing, only difference being amount of power in her. But you, that would be too much of a shock for your brain. You would have to learn to walk again, learn to talk, learn everything over again. Right now you can talk to people, you CAN wear clothes..."

Jan picked up as Solara suddenly faltered. "And, you have friends. What do you call us? We wouldn't consider this unless you were a friend. But this is a huge leap that needs to be planned out, not jumped into. It took Sol, what? 3 months or so, to perfect a simple transformation. You would need more time to let her study you so you can have a normal functioning body when you arrive, much less a regular looking one."

Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

The glow in Chrys' eyes died entirely as Jan and Solara told him the news. He lowered his head until it rested on the dirt. "Then there really is no hope, I guess."

Then, as he lay there silently, flames kindled around his mouth. He was far too stubborn to accept their answer. "You think I can do all that now? Ok, I wear a 150-inch waist. Find me a pair of pants that'll fit that. Oh yeah, and don't forget the whole 'known to cause mesothelioma from exposure' stuff. How we gonna solve that one, brainyminks? Paint me in silicone? And I don't pass emissions standards either...ya gonna shove a muffler up my nose?" Chrys fumed, illuminating the room in pale green light.

"And just what makes you think we're friends, anyway? We only met tonight. And the only reason you're sticking around is because of pity. You said it yourself, you got issues with 'larger' people, so might as well just bug out already." Chrys curled up tightly, his back toward them and head blocked by the rest of his bulk.

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

Jan's eyes hardened. She was done putting up with this stubborn pre-teen bullshit. She changed her hand and zapped one of the plants right next to Chrys. The disintegration lance lit the room in a flash briefly, before the plant was gone. "That is more than enough from you. If you even think we can help you, we need you to at least act civil toward us. Just because you think that everyone hates you, which is utter bullshit, doesn't mean you can act like they expect you too. You are turning into the monster you assume the others see you as. DO YOU WANT THAT?" She was practically shouting now, and Solara was wide-eyed, scared. She knew bad things happened when Jan got pissed off. Usually ended up with them running...

Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

That, dear reader, was when Chrysotile the dragon hit the ceiling--literally. He whipped his head around upon hearing the energy blast to behold a smoldering nothing where one of his prized silk hydrangeas had been standing. They had never done anything to deserve destruction; Chrys was enraged. He stood up, rearing to full height, until his head slammed the scrapmetal roof of his cave. Bits of shiny glass rained down as the entire dome shuddered. Fire vented out through his clenched teeth. Chrys geared up to incinerate both of them.

But then, right before he drew in, a glint caught his attention. While Jan finished her scolding, the glass frame on the picture of Chrys' parents drew his focus over to his mother's face. A memory flashed back to his mind.

"Mom, am I a monster?"

"Why, *cough cough* Whyever would you think that?" A raspy, cancerous voice asked. Chrys' mother reached up to caress her son's cheek.

"Because down by the water filters today, I heard the kids whispering and looking over at me. Well, Billy wasn't, 'cuz he doesn't have any eyes. But they were saying I was some kind of monster who would one day go berserk and...and kill everyone."

A pair of thin, browinish red arms hugged Chrys' neck. A surgical mask nuzzled him as high as it could reach. "Chrysotile, you listen to me. You are not a monster unless you choose to be. You're just bigger than everyone else, and that scares them. But that just means you have to be ex-*cough* extra nice to them. Do you hear me? You are NOT a monster." She reached up and wiped a hot tear from her son's face.

Chrys broke. His everything just flopped to the floor, his entire body stretched flat, eyes clamped shut. His forepaws locked together over his neck, as far as they could reach. Then the dragon shook, bawling as quietly as he could. "Whatever...whatever you think you can do...I'll do it. I'LL DO IT!"

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

Jan tense when he had whipped around, ready to defend Solara, but she saw him stop. She hoped to whatever gods there were that he was going to break. She needed him to.

When he did, she relaxed, letting the tension flow out. "Good," she whispered. In a louder voice, she said, "Alright, I'm sure Solara will have no objection if you agree like this. Do you?" Solara was absent-mindedly nodding, already having her mind whirl with possibilities. "But you see what being agreeable gets you? A lot more than threatening people does, I will tell you. So please, be calm and don't demand, and I'm sure we will all get along."

Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

Chrys picked himself up off the floor. Yes, he was sickeningly emo at times, but at least he had a valid reason for his severe depression and crying and all that. He pulled himself together, huddling in a seated position that looked not unlike a feral dog trying to sit up. Still, the rest of his body was hunkered down, looking small for a giant.

"Yeah, I get it," he replied meekly. "But what do you got in mind? I'm not leaving here until it's safe...for everyone else."

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

Jan sighed, while Sol thought for a moment. A frown passed over her face briefly, before she said, "I'm afraid you would have to. I can't help you unless you are able to get to the workshop, since all my equipment is there, and most of it is immovable."

Larcen
Duke
Duke

Post by Larcen »

Chrys gulped all the way down his throat. He looked toward the exit tunnel nervously. "I guess it's still dark out there. If we move fast enough, maybe nobody'll see me. Let's go." Being as he was too big for clothes, there was no place for him to store any possessions. Of course, his entire treasure trove was all worthless junk anyway. If it were not, then the items would not have been there. Still, there was one thing he could not leave behind.

Lumbering into his sanctuary, Chrys took the family portrait from its frame, then rolled it up and put it inside an industrial-grade containment capsule. Such a capsule was meant for storing small amounts of hazardous chemicals, and was more or less Chrys-proof. "Can you carry this, please? Else I'll just swallow it for now." Considering his saliva alone was enough to corrode through a truck, goodness knew Chrys' gastric juices had to be even more caustic. Therefore, if he could avoid vomiting the capsule back up, he would.

"I guess I'm ready when you are. Where we going?" The dragon slinked to his doorway, then stepped back, letting the minks lead. All of a sudden, his heart was pounding; rarely ever did Chrys leave his den, and then only to eat. And eating only required a quick trip down the nearby sewer line to the nest of mutant rats. This adventure was more than he had dared in years.