Playing Scarborough Faire

This is where all of the medieval Gawain role-plays are archived.
User avatar
Flickerfinger
Marquis
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:03 pm
Gender: Male
Species: Taur
Location: Upstage, lads!

Playing Scarborough Faire

Post by Flickerfinger » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:22 am

Three days past, at a curiosity shop in Bayreuth . . .

“It is well chosen.” Deirdre said. Then, as if to herself, she added “and just in time for the Faire.”

Lystar’s ears perked up. “Pardon a foreigner’s ignorance; the fair?”

“Scarborough Faire. It is the grandest of arts festival in Gawain. Every year at the advent of summer the duke of Saxe-Weimar journeys hence from Bayreuth to Neustadt. There’s a cliff there called Scarborough with some magic in its shape. A voice at its base can be heard at a great distance. Artists of all kinds gather there to display their work, to sell it, to have it known and judged by their countrymen. You are foreign, but a good musician is never turned away.”

Lystar’s eyes were aglow. His tail twitched back and forth in excitement as he thought of it. “Are you going to Scarborough Faire, Deirdre?” he asked.

“I may, or I may not. But if it pleases you I can certainly tell you how to get there.”

He turned to his companion, but Kirjath was still lost in the zither. Of his own initiative he replied, “I would be honored to see the magnificent artistry of Gawain at the Faire.”

“You appeal to my patriotism,” Deirdre said with a smile. “You’ve been a bard too long. Very well; leave Bayreuth by the northern gate. The road you take will meet with another that runs by a stream. Turn away there, and follow that stream . . .”

+++++++

“Did she say the oak with three forks, Kirjath?”

A blue-grey wolf with four legs and a blue-grey dog without a tail stood at a meeting of two roads on the back country of Gawain, pondering a stand of oaks at the intersection. One of the trees marked the trail (really it was little more than that) to Neustadt, and a certain festival the wolftaur called Flickerfinger didn’t want to miss; the difficulty lay in choosing the right one.

Notoriously bad with directions was Flickerfinger. Generally he went only where his paws carried him, for just that reason. It might have been the other way around, but the wolftaur wouldn’t have said if it was. At this moment, however, he was in search of a particular destination, which made him nervous. The advent of summer was only a day or two away – if his memory of Edwinian reckoning served, and if Gawain reckoned the seasons alike. They should not be that far from Scarborough, they had made good time thus far. But it would do them no good, if they took the wrong path now and went leagues out of their way. So in the late morning light they paused to consider.
Know thy wolf, and unto thine own wolf be true.

If all the world is a stage, I want better lighting.

Characters

Sponsor
 

Arlo
Outlaw
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:58 am
Location: *Looks around* Uh... I don't know...

Post by Arlo » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:35 pm

Harken breathed in deeply through his nose. "Do you smell that, Fenny boy?"

Behind him, his rabbit body guard sniffed the air noncimmitedly. "No, I don't smell anything. Are you going to say something like 'the smell of adventure'?"

Harken laughed, making a sweeping bow with his large cap in hand. "You are close, my deductive genius of a friend. I meant to say the smell of fame." He donned his cap and challenged Fennwick's incredulous stare with one of pure sincerity. "I mean every word and sniff, my good friend. We're off to a magical place, you know."

"You mean we're not going to some tavern to sing bawdy ballads, get drunk beyond recognition, and try abortively to woo the village ladies?" The bodyguard's expression didn't change a whit as he said this.

"As fun as it would be to watch you do that, no." Harken replied. "We're off to some place, scab-burrow or something like that. Wierd name, though; gives me an image of a bunch of wounded moles singing drinking songs and other such nonsense."

"If that's the case," Fennwick said, "why would a squirrel and a rabbit be welcome there?"

Harken winked. "Because it's a party, and you know what they say about a party that doesn't have the privelige of squirrely bards."

"Who's this ubiquitous 'they' you're referring to, anyway?"

"You, of course!" Harken ruffled his paw on Fennwick's head. "I'm counting on you to spread the word of mouth stuff, got it, Fenn buddy?"

Fennwick extricated his head from Harken's paw, looking ahead on the road. "We've got company."

Harken was undeterred. "Probably a couple of adoring fans come just to hear me play. Leave the talking to me." He raised his voice. "Good morrow, travellers! A lovely day for scab-burrows, is it not?"
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2892]Arlo: The Otter Gourmand[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2929&highlight=]Kenneth: Righteous Horse Knight[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2894]Arena Character: Fennwick: Stoic Lancer of the Forest[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2943]Harken: Mischevous Squirelly Bard and his bodyguard[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=3055]Age of Steam: Roddy Fanning: Enthusiastic Wanna-be Spy[/url]

User avatar
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:37 pm
Gender: Male
Species: Ferx
Location: Maryland
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:38 pm

A certain Ferx was fair-bound, too, but in not quite so festive a mood. His travels had been plagued by nightmares, his business by scarcity, and his studies by lack of free time. A magician/scholar-for-hire had, at best, an uneasy life, and when you threw a jinx into the mix...
Telemain shook his head to rid the shadows and moved on. The coal-faced mustelid/fox hybrid was thinking of nothing in particular when he encountered a group of furs at a group of three trees. It was a motley group, to be sure: a blue/grey dog, a wolftaur, a squirrel, and a hare. Tel smiled, he didn't like traveling alone, but remebered to check mage-auras of each. The squirrel and hare were normal, but the dog had a strange pattern of paranormal emanations, and the wolftaur-nom his instrument had an aura even more intrigueing. *Ah, excellent! This is going to be a good trip*
Telemain arrived in time to hear the squirrel's greeting of the two at the trees. Tel replied in rejoinder, "I'm not sure what those are, but one will most likely find them at Scarborough fair. The site isn't more than a half-day's journey down the path to the right."
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

User avatar
Flickerfinger
Marquis
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:03 pm
Gender: Male
Species: Taur
Location: Upstage, lads!

Post by Flickerfinger » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:14 pm

"Good morrow, travelers! A lovely day for scab-burrows, is it not?"

Lystar looked up from his remembrance, quite surprised to hear another voice among the stillness of the forest green. It belonged to one of two creatures strolling toward them from the east, and he could easily guess which one it was. On the right was a dour-looking rabbit with a lance, well-polished for being well-used, slung easily over his back. The other was a squirrel in flamboyant dress, a green, feathered hat in his hand. The wolftaur had in his time learned to form a pretty accurate first impression, but this time his skill failed him. His attention was focused on a single aspect of the bushy-tailed rodent – the head of the lute that peeked over the squirrel’s shoulder; this one was a troubadour as well. Lystar opened his mouth to reply:

"I'm not sure what those are, but one will most likely find them at Scarborough fair. The site isn't more than a half-day's journey down the path to the right."

He shut it again irritably. That wasn’t his voice. The newcomer was a ferret, and if Lystar was any judge of mustelid proportion and coloration, a hybrid. The wolftaur thought this ferret had seen better days – he had the dusty look of an over-traveled wanderer, one his observer knew all too well. His gaze fell briefly on the vest – it was a piece of work, possessed of more pockets than he would have thought possible in such a garment. There was something about this one, a something in the way he carried himself, the way he watched his surroundings, a certain indefinable cast to his eyes that was hauntingly familiar. “Oh, the right-hand path, is it?” Lystar replied. His gaze moved back and forth between the two parties who had addressed him, the action waving his long, white mane across his back. He continued, “You all are going to Scarborough Faire then?” Somehow he managed to make the ‘e’ clearly audible in his gentle tenor voice.
Know thy wolf, and unto thine own wolf be true.

If all the world is a stage, I want better lighting.

Characters

User avatar
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:37 pm
Gender: Male
Species: Ferx
Location: Maryland
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:28 pm

"Oh, so you're all going to Scarborough Faire, then?"

Telemain nodded in response to the Wolftaur's question. "Indeed, although probably not for the same purpose as you." Tel looked at the Wolftaur, dog, and Suirrel bard as he continued. "I'm a magician, not a musician, or a mercenary, per se. My spells are for hire though. Oh, pardon, I neglected to introduce myself. Telemain Eveks, scholar-mage, recently of Wextlar." Tel looked in the direction of the Faire. "If we're all going to the same place, why don't we travel together? It makes journeys less tedious, and safer."

(I am, unfortunately, probably not going to be available this weekend. just continue posting as if I'm with you, and I'll join back in when I get back )
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Arlo
Outlaw
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:58 am
Location: *Looks around* Uh... I don't know...

Post by Arlo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:04 pm

Harken bowed graciously at the newcomer. "We are certainly well met, Telemain. Well then, I suppose I must return the favor. I am Harken Abirus. You may not know me, but I am destined to be the greatest minstrel Felia's ever seen." He motioned behind him. "This is my backup dancer, the fabulous Freddy Flufferbottom."

"Fennwick." The rabbit corrected. "And I don't dance."

"Don't be so modest, Fluffs." Harken jibed, wrapping an arm around the rabbit's shoulder. "You should see this guy when he thinks no one's watching, shaking his little cotton-butt like nobody's business."

Fennwick kept his gaze straight ahead at the others. "He's prone to delusions; just ignore him. In any case, I suppose we're going to this Scarborough, same as you all. I suppose a bigger group would deter bandits more effectively?"
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2892]Arlo: The Otter Gourmand[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2929&highlight=]Kenneth: Righteous Horse Knight[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2894]Arena Character: Fennwick: Stoic Lancer of the Forest[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2943]Harken: Mischevous Squirelly Bard and his bodyguard[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=3055]Age of Steam: Roddy Fanning: Enthusiastic Wanna-be Spy[/url]

User avatar
Flickerfinger
Marquis
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:03 pm
Gender: Male
Species: Taur
Location: Upstage, lads!

Post by Flickerfinger » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:13 am

The wolftaur chuckled broadly at the squirrel’s treatment of his companion, perhaps more than he should have; but he had an oddly placed sense of humor, over-appreciative of some things and not at all endeared by others. “They call me Flickerfinger,” he interjected, “and I too am a bard. This is Kirjath, a good friend of mine and a talented musician in his own right,” nodding toward the oddly silent heeler at his side. “Fennwick has the right of it, Telemain the spirit. No one should travel alone.”

Despite his words the quadruped made no move to continue; instead he pulled from across his back, with a swift, fluid motion, the wondrous seven-stringed instrument that rested placidly under his mane. From the moment he set eyes on the lute a question had burned in his mind, on the tip of his tongue, and he would not wait longer to ask it. With an eagerness and a bright smile that were both quite childish he asked a question to which he already knew the answer: “Harken, do you play?”
Know thy wolf, and unto thine own wolf be true.

If all the world is a stage, I want better lighting.

Characters

Arlo
Outlaw
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:58 am
Location: *Looks around* Uh... I don't know...

Post by Arlo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:28 pm

Harken hugged his body guard tighter. "Are you kidding? When I play, grown men weep and women swoon!" Fennwick mouthed the word "Lie" noncomittedly. Harken caught the motion and drew back with a display of suprise. "Why, Fluffer! I'm shocked you would slander me so!"

The rabbit was unmoved as he rubbed his neck. "I thought last week you're credo was something along the lines of 'I sing the songs that make the ladies blush, the men roar with laughter, and the priests cover their ears and go...'" He clapped his paws over his ears. "'La, la, la! I'm not listening!'"

"You remember that?" Harken scratched his face absently. "You spend too much time frittering away at the details. You'll catch your death of worry one day." Fennwick didn't feel like pointing out that worry was not a disease. The bard turned his attention to the four-legged creature, pulling out his lute with an air of arrogance. "She's a beauty, ain't she? Made by a master; got it right on the first tree. She's my baby, more important to me than any woman."

"Excepting whichever woman he's trying to woo at the moment." Fennwick quipped.

"I haven't done anything that they didn't consent to, or otherwise not enjoy." Harken's gaze was on his instrument, so he didn't see the bodyguard's second "Lie" mouth.
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2892]Arlo: The Otter Gourmand[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2929&highlight=]Kenneth: Righteous Horse Knight[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2894]Arena Character: Fennwick: Stoic Lancer of the Forest[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2943]Harken: Mischevous Squirelly Bard and his bodyguard[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=3055]Age of Steam: Roddy Fanning: Enthusiastic Wanna-be Spy[/url]

User avatar
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:37 pm
Gender: Male
Species: Ferx
Location: Maryland
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:25 pm

(I have caught an unexpected break :D )

Telemain obsered the conversation with amusement. *Harken and Fennwick may not be useful for my studies, but they will at least be useful to stave off boredom.*
"Hadn't we better set off? Time passes, and I don't yet have the magic to stop it." Tel started walking down the road, remarking to the wolftaur bard. "That is a quite fascinating instrument. What is it, and where did it come from?"
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Teale
Rogue
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:12 pm

Post by Teale » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:04 pm

(Guess I'll join in since I was invited and seen as how Jack is a musician himself)

So there he sat atop the branch of a great oak tree, his great long ringtail dangling down as it swayed in tune to the sounds of his instrument. He’d come up with a little tune for any bard who traveled the path towards the faire. Not a song to hypnotize the ears that it caught, but a warning to his competitors. He could perhaps hypnotize the competition with his music but where was the fun in that. Most artists were not that wealthy anyway, so there was really nothing to profit. Most of the passers were also traveling in groups, making it almost impossible to trance them with all the chatter.

He was here for two reasons, to win whatever was to be won at the faire, and to sway a pretty damsel off into the woods. He’d been winning the trust of this young ferret maiden for quite some time now. She was the daughter of some wealthy gent, and Jack wanted a touch of their wealth. She promised to see him perform at the faire, and afterwards he planned to walk her home. He could then play his fine tune, putting her into a deep trance, and then stealing all her loot and jewelry.

As Telemain and the rest of the group grew closer, the raccoon caught ear of their conversation. Unable to make out words, but fully aware of their coming. Soon his voice was added to accompany the sounds if his pipa. A great sized instrument which presented quite a problem when he climbed the tree earlier.

“Drifting along this stream”
“Without care, without worry”
“Their hearts filled with a dream”
“Winning the crowd, taking that crown”


((OOC: OH GOD, I have no clue what I’m doing with this song a ma bobber. Hope it sounds alright, and I’ll just let someone else reply so I have some time to think up some more words.))
[img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u319/BrennusWolf/TealeSig.jpg[/img]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2966&sid=2c1420ce814308d09a73c829dc1cc961]Teale[/url]

[url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2996&sid=a185218b0bc063cc739a268cc9a1b52f]Jack Scratch[/url]

User avatar
Flickerfinger
Marquis
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:03 pm
Gender: Male
Species: Taur
Location: Upstage, lads!

Post by Flickerfinger » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:29 pm

Flickerfinger examined the proffered lute with an appreciative eye; it was well-made, if mundane. He smiled; “I’ll take that as a yes, and on more instruments than one.”

Telemain’s voice broke imperiously over the conversation. "Hadn't we better set off? Time passes, and I don't yet have the magic to stop it." Without waiting for a response the black-faced ferret set off down the road. Flickerfinger watched him go through narrowed eyes; then he shrugged, looked to his companions and jerked his head after the retreating fox. “The native among us seems to be in a hurry,” he added drily, by way of an explanation.

The wolftaur’s footpaws set a lazy rhythm on the road, unique from the bipedal simple-duple around him. He had made the mistake of not replacing the instrument across his back, and now he couldn’t keep himself from plucking at a swaying counterpoint to his step. As he drew up level with Telemain the ferret remarked, "That is a quite fascinating instrument. What is it, and where did it come from?" Again the smile came to Flickerfinger’s face. “Aah,” he said grandly, “now that’s a story I don’t tell for naught. It . . .”

Whatever he was about to say next was lost in the advent of the unmistakable sound of a second stringed instrument, similar to Kirjath’s zither. A voice joined in, and Flickerfinger placed the sound as coming from the branches of the oak tree above them. He smiled again, listening intently to the words. When the voice finished, he extrapolated a similar melody in the same key, raising his voice in song:

“Movin’ me down the highway,
Movin’ me down the highway
Movin’ ahead so life won’t pass me by.”

“Show yourself, friend musician!” he challenged the swaying leaves of the oak.

User avatar
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:37 pm
Gender: Male
Species: Ferx
Location: Maryland
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:33 pm

"Eh, what?" Telemain looked around him for the source of the music, a little put out. *Just as I was finding out about that instrument.* His irritablility subsided into unease when a familiar, pit-like feeling emerged in his stomach. *The Majide jinx? Why is it active now* Tel checked the area for auras, and he found one up in an oak tree. He couldn't make out much, but it loked not dissimilar to the auras of the other musicians.
"Our lyrical friend is in an oak tree." Telemain said to Lystar. "And if i recognize the instrument he is playing, he attained his positio with much difficulty and has a substantial risk of breaking his neck. He plays well, though."
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Arlo
Outlaw
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:58 am
Location: *Looks around* Uh... I don't know...

Post by Arlo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:39 pm

Harken looked up at the tree. "Heh, he's okay..." he said, almost as an afterthought. "I suppose he must be here for the Scab Burrow whatsit."

"Scarborough." Fennwick corrected.

"Yes, yes." Harken waved his paw distractedly. "I must say, this has turned into quite the gathering. Whatever will the ladies think when so many strapping, eligible young men... and Fluffs..." he looked back, but Fennwick did not take the bait. "...go marching into Scab Burrow- sorry, Sraborough- en force."

Another thought came to him. "I notice, actually, a lack of the lady-folk." He muttered to himself. "I certainly hope the audience where we're going is more of a mixed bag."

"Weren't you prepared to sing to wounded mole warriors not fifteen minutes ago?" Fennwick asked, closing in and murmuring.

"You think there are no lady mole warriors?" Harken wondered, genuinely curious.

Fennwick paused. "Uh... I... don't know. I suppose there might be. I haven't run into many mole societies."

"Yes, yes. We'll have to look into that. But I think we've been allowed to ramble on for long enough. I think that they're waiting for us." He looked up in the tree. "Well met, my squirrel-like friend! Do you wish a practice with us, or a competition, mayhaps? Or are you a mere minstrel passing through as we are?"
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2892]Arlo: The Otter Gourmand[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2929&highlight=]Kenneth: Righteous Horse Knight[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2894]Arena Character: Fennwick: Stoic Lancer of the Forest[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2943]Harken: Mischevous Squirelly Bard and his bodyguard[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=3055]Age of Steam: Roddy Fanning: Enthusiastic Wanna-be Spy[/url]

User avatar
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:37 pm
Gender: Male
Species: Ferx
Location: Maryland
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:11 pm

(It'd be out of turn post now, but I should let you know that I'm going to be absent and in Boston for the better part of a week, now)
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Teale
Rogue
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:12 pm

Post by Teale » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:28 pm

((OOC: Sorry, been busy with college))

Jack looked down upon the group as his paw continued to dance upon the tight strings of his instrument. His legs kicked back and forth as they hung down from the great branch. He looked back and fourth between each speaker, taking note of a few comments.

"Lady mole warriors?"

The sound of his instrument halted as he jumped to his feet on the branch. The only problem with the Pipa was it's near impossibility to play while standing. It was such a heavy instrument, and with no support, one had to sit while playing. With a great leap he landed in front of the group. Very careful to land on his feet, since he held a firm grip on his most precious belonging.

"Guess it's well enough time I got myself to the scab burrow" he exchanged a glance with Harken. Then trotting around the group, sizing them up, checking out their instruments, not forgetting to pass an eye on their valuables. "Say, this fellow has no instrument!" he raised a brow at Telemain, "By the way, it was not that difficult."

Turning to Harken, he put a resting arm over his shoulder. "Heh rare chance you'll find any lady mole warriors over at the faire. Don't fret, fair ladies wont miss a chance to hear a beautiful melody or two. Just don't let your eyes stray over my fair maiden."
[img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u319/BrennusWolf/TealeSig.jpg[/img]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2966&sid=2c1420ce814308d09a73c829dc1cc961]Teale[/url]

[url=http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2996&sid=a185218b0bc063cc739a268cc9a1b52f]Jack Scratch[/url]

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest