Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Playing Scarborough Faire

This is where all of the medieval Gawain role-plays are archived.
Larcen
Duke
Species: Coyote

Post by Larcen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:03 am

((many apologizementationseses, I've been busy and distracted beyond...well, something really hard to go beyond.))

...So may I introduce to you
The act you've known for all these years...

"...Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band!" Kirjath had not expected to have his dreams completed audibly. He had dozed off while waiting to take the stage, and had dreamed himself into a rather trippy music video. So when the Duke announced the band's name, he had awoken with a start. It took him exactly two and a half seconds (he counted) to realize that he was on the other side of the Faire while the show was starting without him. Kirjath yelped in horror, causing a nearby polecat to take a face-dive into the soup she had until then been enjoying.

All that could be seen was a dark blue blur weaving in and out of the crowd on its way toward the stage. The playlist dominating his gray matter had switched to a strikingly fast-paced tune, aiding his mad dash. He vaulted onto the stage at full speed, blowing past Harken with scarcely a whisker's breadth between the two of them. In the same motion, he tried to slide into a sitting position on the floor, leaving him ready to play immediately after stopping. But the surface had worn smooth after countless performances past, and his momentum carried him further than expected. Kirjath ducked his head just in time to avoid slamming into Lystar's underbelly. He passed between the rows of wolftaur legs and came to rest on the other side of him, seated cross-legged with zither at the ready.

"I-I-I-I'm-I'm here! I'm here! Sorry." He gazed up at his fellow musicians, a fuzzy, panting ball of pure adrenaline.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

You say 'fundamentalist' like it's a bad thing. X3

Sponsor

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:14 pm

*Bravo! Now that's what I call an impressive entrance.* Telemain joined into the applause for the band. He spread some subtle magic effects into the lighting. Tel didn't often get to pratice his illusions, and this seemed to be the perfect opportunity. He wired the still-invisible constructs into the music-listening spell, so that the effects enhanced, and did not distract from, the music. *Let's hear your first song, boys!*

(I'll leave it to the musician's discretion what the illusions are.)
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Flickerfinger
Marquis
Species: Taur

Post by Flickerfinger » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:36 pm

((Sorry this is so late, guys, but I had a devil of a time thinking of the right song. And then it hit me: duh!))

Flickerfinger took the stage as only a wolftaur can, ignoring the polished wooden steps and leaping over the shoulder-high edge of the stage, the Serinex hanging from his shoulders on its woven strap and glistening in the moonlight as though it were wet. Polite applause and some laughter for the squirrel’s antics drifted up from the audience, and a layer of fog drifted out from the back of the stage, swirling as high as the wolftaur’s ankles. It was not a natural phenomenon, it hadn’t been there before; he had a suspicion of from whence it had come. Their erstwhile guide was sitting front-row center, and Flickerfinger laughed to himself. Telemain was leaving his own mark on their performance.

"Give me the stage,” Harken muttered, "the notes to a song, and an audience that can forget how to disbelieve what is told of them. A bard's tale is not a tale for scrutinizing ears. Are we ready?"

Flickerfinger had never been more ready – he was shaking with excitement. He nodded and turned to signal the silent heeler over his left shoulder - but Kirjath was not there. The wolftaur rolled his eyes exaggeratedly – Kirjath almost never spoke, so he might be forgiven for not noticing his absence. Still, it was awkward, and the only thing he could think to do was peer about the crowd like a sailor searching for land. Eventually he spotted him, dashing through the crowd with all speed. He kept up the part and feigned surprise when Kirjath vaulted the stage – a surprise which became real as the heeler slid under him. This was a unique experience for him, one none but a taur could have; the honor was dubious.

"I-I-I-I'm-I'm here! I'm here! Sorry," the cattle dog panted from his left, thankfully low enough that no one heard. The audience might have thought they planned it this way, and Flickerfinger wasn’t about to discourage them.

So with the band assembled, Flickerfinger searched for the first song of their set. Once again his time with Harle served him well, and he settled on a tune that worthy mustelid had taught him, to which many of Gawain’s folk songs were set. “Canticle,” he whispered, first to Harken, then Kirjath, calling the tune; and then struck the first note.

It led to the next and thence onward with deceptive simplicity, forming a pattern of surprising depth. He cued the beat for Harken, hoping he would catch on quickly enough to take up the melody – for Flickerfinger had forgotten the words.

Song: Scarborough Fair/Canticle, Simon and Garfunkel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYQaD2CAi9A
___

Arlo
Outlaw

Post by Arlo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Harken held back a yelp of surprise as a blur nearly took him off his feet. He managed to compose himself quickly enough to save face, though. Nothing to worry about, he thought, with a short inner sigh for the people he would be working with.

Canticle... he caught the melody of a Gawainian folk song fast enough; he only skipped a measure before joining in with slow, soulful strumming, working his dexterous fingers over the strings. He needed no second hint to take the lead vocals; in fact, it was what he had been planning from the beginning, so long as it didn't infringe on the performance, of course. Witholding his normal falsetto voice, he nonetheless took the opening stanza with a clear baritone voice.

Are you goin' to Scarborough Faire?
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme...
Remember me, to one who lives there;
She once was a true love of mine

Simple, really. He took a breath, cast a seductive, half-lidded glance to a young female in the front row, and nodded to the others. Now it gets tricky, his gaze seemed to say. Be sure to keep up. He burst into the second stanza.

Tell 'er to make me a cambric shirt...
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2892]Arlo: The Otter Gourmand[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2929&highlight=]Kenneth: Righteous Horse Knight[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2894]Arena Character: Fennwick: Stoic Lancer of the Forest[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2943]Harken: Mischevous Squirelly Bard and his bodyguard[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=3055]Age of Steam: Roddy Fanning: Enthusiastic Wanna-be Spy[/url]

Larcen
Duke

Post by Larcen » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:08 am

As it turned out, Kirjath had forgotten that he had never played in a band before. Heck, he had never even played on a real stage before, come to think of it. His previous performances were limited to streets and taverns. The shock of being on stage with a full crowd of furs staring at him nearly unhinged him. But as Lystar and Harken started up, the music took over. When Kirjath performed, he felt the music on a level that "extreme" could barely classify. His body gyrated and convulsed, head jerking every which direction as his eyes rolled back under fluttering lids. And this was a slow song. His bizarre behavior would go unmatched for centuries until a spaniel by the name of Joe Cocker came along.

As the second stanza began, Kirjath took the background part, no surprise.

"On the side of a hill in the deep forest green
Tracing a sparrow on snow-crested ground
Blankets and bedclothes a child of the mountains
Sleeps unaware of the clarion calls
"

He had heard the song before from sources both real and dreamed, and had learned it in his usual manner - fanaticism. When a song entered his head, it stuck there. The only means of relief was to reproduce it satisfactorily. This drove him to obsession, practicing to get it right until his voice went hoarse and the strings became too slippery from his bleeding paws. In return though, he had gained the ability to play an audience's emotions just as well as his instrument.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:44 am

Telemain leaned back as the slow song from the bards washed over the audience, out of the fog, he could see-not exactly shapes, but the suggestions of shapes, forms matching the lyrics. The slight suggestions took the audience down their lanes of memory, to times when they were young, and thought they knew everything about love. *And I know everything but that.* Telemain had been under the songs spell, but where most had memories, Tel had none. He had always been a cautious type in interpersonal relationships, an aptitude reinforced by scholarly training. He had never regretted that...until now. *This is ridiculous. The old ones are remembering when they were my age. It isn't as if I've lived long enough to deserve those kinds of memories. And I have reasons to be cautious.* Memories of people he had known, who had thought they knew what love was, and were wrong, paraded across his minds eye, but not for long. The music was too powerful.
Last edited by Rackenhammer on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flickerfinger
Marquis

Post by Flickerfinger » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:34 pm

The lyric Harken began was either one Lystar had not heard before, or he was making it up as he went. It was so perfect for the occasion, however, that he had to assume the latter. The second verse rolled around and to his surprise Kirjath joined in from his left with a striking countermelody, one that grew ever darker as it journeyed from a mountain child to blazing scarlet battalions. As the third verse began Lystar felt confident enough to vary his picking pattern – beneath the rhythmic chords of Harken’s lute blossomed bits of melody, sometimes in harmony with the lead, more rarely in harmony with the countermelody, and always as filler between verses. With Harken his usual flamboyant self stage right, Kirjath bursting into uncharacteristic, spastic movement stage left, and Lystar in stolid, four-footed ethos center stage, they were a mismatched group, as different from each other as they were foreign to Gawain. Still, great skill and a little help from front row center made of their disparate principles a successful, striking combination.

Harken cued the end of the song by repeating the first verse; Flickerfinger suspended the last chord and walked his bass note back down to the tonic. Scarborough held the note in quavering suspension for a time, and then the audience erupted in enthusiastic applause – the kind you could tell they really meant. “Alright,” Lystar said under his breath. He had meant that song to have a somewhat lighter spirit – an air for the evening rather than the lament it had of itself become. Songs like that were hard to follow; they built a very particular mood, one that the band would have to maintain, or, break away from very slowly. Of his companions, he thought Kirjath might best accomplish one of these goals; but he thought it best to avoid putting him on the spot – at least for the moment. He looked to the squirrely bard instead; his eyes showed nothing of this planning and consideration, only a bold and excited glow. “What next, Harken?” he asked.
_______

Arlo
Outlaw

Post by Arlo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:56 am

"Oh, aw!" Harken let the applause wash over him with obivoulsy manufactured modesty, putting a hand to his chest and bowing, lute held out to the side. "You're beautiful, all of you." He looked in a general direction. "Ooh, especially you, my sweet. Oh, please... no, come on!"

It took a brief moment for the question posed at him to finally register. "Eh?" He scratched his head. "You know, I hadn't thought that far. I kinda figured I'd just be called upon to make somethin' up, you know? Uhh..." He looked around at the still euphoric audience. "Tell ya what. If you guys got any ideas, feel free to venture them. I mean, if I really had to save the day, I would but... whatever you guys do, I'll follow."
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2892]Arlo: The Otter Gourmand[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2929&highlight=]Kenneth: Righteous Horse Knight[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2894]Arena Character: Fennwick: Stoic Lancer of the Forest[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=2943]Harken: Mischevous Squirelly Bard and his bodyguard[/url]
[url=http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=3055]Age of Steam: Roddy Fanning: Enthusiastic Wanna-be Spy[/url]

Flickerfinger
Marquis

Post by Flickerfinger » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:26 am

((One hopes Larcen isn’t gone for good; I waited in the hope that he would pick it up here. And then Thanksgiving happened, so that’s why this has taken so long.))

To say the least Flickerfinger was surprised; but in a moment he thought he could understand. Harken Abirus was a bard by nature, who made the best of every situation – not necessarily making the situation itself. So with Kirjath also oddly silent by his side, he decided that the next song would again be his.

He decided that the mood they had created was worth keeping, and went to another song in a minor mode, this one a Domish tune. It wasn’t very well-known, but it was common enough, and hadn’t Harken just said he would rather make something up? With a flourish Lystar fanned the first chord, every note doubled by the marvelous amphitheater under which they played. He then employed the lowest of the Serinex’ seven strings to begin an arpeggio in D minor, the sad key. He ran through that arpeggio a little longer than was strictly necessary, to give the band a feel for how it should go. The fog eddied around his legs as he took a step forward into center stage and sang the first words in Domish, caressing them the way he did the strings of his instrument:

C’est la vie, have your leaves all turned to brown?
Will you scatter them around you, c'est la vie.”

After the second chorus he gave his accompaniment a sly grin and modulated into a waltz time, and began to whistle the lead. It was a unique skill, very difficult to do with a snout, but somewhere he had learned the trick.

Song: C’est la Vie, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYwvVRPv8m4

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:56 pm

(I'm still here, not much for me to do except provide the audience.)
After the first song's catharsis, Telemain was no longer able to dedicate his full attention to the music. All the audial tricks only sounded natural to him. There was only one right way to play these songs in his mind, and that was they way they were being played. With a slight smile on his face, he sat back, and let his mind drift to Autumn, his first on his own, outside the University; the first part of his life had finished, the next part yet to begin...

Bigfox3
God
Species: Fennec Fox
United States of America

Post by Bigfox3 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:09 pm

((I hope you won't mind Toyomi's odd entrance.))
((Edited for Flickerfinger's timeline, sorry!))

Toyomi had been busying himself with all the faire had to offer since earlier that day. His outfit had changed drastically as he found more and more bits of clothing that the tailors of the faire had heaped upon the cute young foreigner. A black headband peeked out of his hair and his blue top had changed to a loose long-sleeved tunic with red lining around the collar and on the portion of stitching connecting the sleeves. His slacks were now held by a number of fancily-decorated belts, beads and trinkets that jingled only slightly as he moved. He'd been engrossed within the paintings of the artists of faraway lands, fantacising about where his travels would lead him next, when he finally heard the chords of a far off and lovely song. His ears perked up at the sound of the music.

He looked up from the painting he was engrossed in and asked the artist, "Where's that music coming from?" The artist was a cute young fennec who'd been engrossed similarly in her equally cute customer, and casually said, "Oh, that's just the bards playing on the stage over yonder. They had a strange name, don'tcha know." Toyomi was intrigued, "Where's the stage at?" She pointed him in the right direction, but also pouted a little since she'd failed at courting his attention. The poor girl hadn't a chance with him as he disappeared none too quick, but then another fennec warrior captivated her interest later, and Toyomi was soon forgotten.

As he manuvered his way to the front, he was entranced by the melody of the second song. He surprised everyone around him as the words 'C'est la vie' came around the second time and he blended a perfect harmony to match the bard's singing. People thought he was part of the band and urged him closer to the stage, thinking he'd jump up at any time, but he was entranced by the song and didn't move.
Last edited by Bigfox3 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dessert War never happened, but I'm deluded enough that I've convinced myself I already won. :3

My Character Library
Click here to see my Deviantart page!

`/-(_)-\=~~~~
/Gamma\==-------
'OoOoOoO'
'SPAMMA TANK' GAMMA Created by Shade
Advanced AI Tank

Big's quick link to the IRC chat box for those who can never find the thing, like me! 8D

Larcen
Duke

Post by Larcen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:00 pm

Kirjath's relative silence was due to the fact that keeping the current mood going and what his own paws itched to play were two entirely different things. As such, he had left the next song choice to the others. When Lystar started up the next song, Kirjath sat unsure of how to contribute. He sounds good enough soloing; just let him go with it. Sitting back and listening to the melancholy tune allowed all the adrenaline Kirjath had pent up in his dash to the stage to dissipate. As well as let his cerebral iPawed switch to something a little more suiting for the next ditty.

Sitting there, his eyes searched out Telemain in the crowd, and Kirjath was struck with another quandary an ambitious mage might be interested in tackling. Let's hope we get an intermission, he plotted.

((Ok, so the real reason I hadn't posted was brief writer's block complicated by Turkey Day))

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:07 pm

Telemain wasn't sure why he had opened his eyes, but he saw a young dancer progress towards the stage. It looked as though he was part of the act, but Tel was sure that he wasn't. *This should be interesting.* Kirjath caught Tel's eye then. The song was concluded, applause was given, and it looked as though the dancer would provide an intermission by fiat.
Telemain took the opportunity to approach the dog. "Is there something you wanted to speak to me about?"

Arlo
Outlaw

Post by Arlo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:20 pm

Well, the unofficial leader of the troupe failed to dissapoint. The next song was easy enough for him to follow, and Harken relegated himself to the role of backup singer with a rare display of modesty. Something about the story Flickerfinger weaved, about love and love deferred, struck an odd chord in the bard, and as his fingers worked rhythmically and languidly over his strings, he found himself swept up in the emotion of the song...

...until the tone suddenly changed. Harken bit down his sudden yelp of surprise and matched that sneaky stare with one of ruffled ire. It was only a split second's hesitation before he was back to his old self, strumming along with the lesiurely waltz and keeping one eye on the treacherous band leader for any more monkey business.

It was only when the song was over, and Harken was through basking in the adoration of his fans, that he even noticed the enthusiastic fox in the front row. "All the world wants to be a musical icon, it seems." He murmured good-naturedly.

Larcen
Duke

Post by Larcen » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 pm

Kirjath knew he had made eye contact with Telemain, but he had not expected him to know why. A brief case of the willies came over him, but they were shaken off. He was neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, maybe even schizophrenic, depending on which head shrink you asked, but if there was something Kirjath Jearim was not, it was paranoid. Well, at least not when it came to people. Even so, the question he had in mind had the potential to generate such a degree of public ridicule that when Telemain had approached him, Kirjath had said nothing, beckoning for him to follow. He led him behind the stage to a less crowded area.

Nothing was said for an awkward moment, but plenty was being organized into coherent thought. Kirjath forced eye contact with Telemain, a look piercing enough to mean, No matter how ridiculous this is going to sound, I am dead serious.

"I-I-I-I...grrrr."
*Come on, not now.* He struck his zither across the strings, creating a harsh, indignant chord. To keep his focus, his left hand meandered across the scales, playing as if independent from its owner. "Sorry. Helps me...y-yeah. I-I guess I oughta start at the beginning here." He looked down at his stringed companion warmly. "This thing, it's nice, keeps me, well, from losing it. But I still can't play what I want on it. I mean, I can hit the, the uh, notes, but it doesn't sou-SOUND right."
*Brace yourself, Telly, here's where it gets weird,* his sarcastic inner voice cautioned.

"But in the future, there's this instrument, with keys kinda like a harpsichord," he continued.
*Wait, have harpsichords been invented yet?* He shrugged to himself in answer, then reflected for a moment on what that must have looked like from Telemain's perspective.
"Except it doesn't have all the strings and bulk. Called a...s-synth. Er, synthesizer."
*Dammit, you're losing him. Get to the point, will you?*
"So what I mean is, this thing can sound like any instrument you want, and I was wondering if, well, if er..." he sighed. "Can, could you, be able to, maybe, like, enchant this thing to sound like whatever I'm hearing in here?" he pointed to his head, "Oh jeez, that-th-th-that was, that was the st-stupidest thing you, y-you ever heard. S-sor-sorry for w-wasting your time like, like that." Kirjath turned his back to Telamain in shame. *Who ever heard of such a question? You, that's who. And you know what a minority of one equals.*