The Avian's Rest Stop (Open)

This is where all of the medieval Gawain role-plays are archived.
omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:52 pm

The morning was early and little light permeated the cheap room at the inn.

"It is time for you to awaken."

Omon shakes the bed with Nyuni in it. The little avian woke with a start.

"Now we should get ready. We have to visit that old friend of mine I told you about. You should know that he can be rather annoying. He doesn't mean to be but to tell the truth he is just that way. He runs the local convent. It is a place dedicated to a god of healing. They know a lot about the art of healing, but are severely understaffed. I helped out there last year. It should promise to be alot of fun."

Omon's mischievousness knew no bounds.

"I hope you get ready soon. I will await your apearence down stairs."
"Some things in life can't be taught they must be learned." - unknown

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Sponsor

Vamp
Count
Species: Owl-Dragon

Post by Vamp » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:35 pm

Nyuni awoke with a start when the bed suddenly moved a bit. She grabbed her bad before poping her head out from under her blanket-nest. She jumped off the med quickly and stretched. " Ok, I am r..ready. " She said, interupted by a yawn. This promised to be interesting. "fun" usualy didn't bode well for her, and it could easily be sarcasm. She got stretched and quickly checked her bag before heading down the stairs.

She reached the bottom quickly and stretched a bit more while her brain started working quickly. There would be much to do today, now that they had their first major tasks done. It was time to get to training, and it was not likely going to be at all pleasant. " Ready to go when you are. "

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Omon smiled and he was out the door as he heard the ready to go.

"You better hurry if you want to make it to my friend’s convent before true sunrise."

Omon had paused by the door of the inn to wait for his young ward. She was coming along nicely. If all went well then he could start teaching her some of his healing magic today. The other types of healing were there but, to truly teach her the ways of his type of healing magic was essential. He didn't heal with jus herb alone. What he didn't tell her that day so long ago was that he would also have spelled the broken leg to have already healed after he had set it and used herbs to dull the pain. He had discovered long ago that his type of healer were rare. Not rare like there aren't any, just rare in the fact that the study of magic and the study of healing where long practices and included much much much study. His training alone took 16 years. He was still learning. He did hope that all went well.

"There you are Nyuni. Let’s go."

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Vamp
Count

Post by Vamp » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:21 pm

Nyuni sped up as he opened the door and was through it rather quickly. She sighed as she came outside, not long before dawn. There was going to be much to do today. She had heard his comment on how "fun" today would be and it made her more nervous than anything. After all the healing was fasinating to her but she had rarely liked his "fun" This was not a good sign. She fallowed him to where they were going, not sure what to expect except noise, possibly screaming, and many people looking in pain. There would be much she needed to do, and she doubted she would be having fun at all.

" Ok, I guess soon we will be at work. I have my bag and its contents...I guess now the serious training begins again. "

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:12 am

The walk through the crowds had been uneventful, mainly because their was so few people up at this time. Omon walked to the other poorer side of the city and after a good while they came upon a somewhat dilapadated building that had holes in its roof.

"Here we are. Casa de Dranman. It is not much to look at but it does the job."

He walks to the door and before he knocks he looks at Nyuni and says,

"Do you have any questions before we go inside.?"

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Vamp
Count

Post by Vamp » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm

It was quite empty as they walked the city streets together. She was not used to seeing cities almost empty. It was strange. Didn't all people wake up early? She always had and even more since her training with Omon had started. It was hard to every imagine a late start. As they entered the building they were headed to her bad feeling increased. Understaffed was what he had told her before, but that might not even be the biggest problem. Would there be enough beds.

She instantly immagined large groups of furs lying on the ground on bloody blankets and sheets. She forced it out of her mind. No SANE healer would allow it! The risk of infection would be so great it was ridiculous. She wiated before replying to Omon. There was much to ask, but the most vital question must come first, it might be the only one she got answered. " Is there any last minute advise you would like to impart? Any last minute warnings on how to do something, or if the conditions in there are going to be appalling to my increasingly changing sense of how someone should be taken care of? "

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:00 am

Omon looks at his young apprentice, and smiles.

"I did say this was a poor parish. They live on donations and as you can see they are not doing so well. But these furs are treated with the respect that they deserve."

Omon looked around for his friend but didn't see him.

"I guess he is in the back treating the furs who are worse off. Shall we go then."

Says Omon as he walks through the building.

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Vamp
Count

Post by Vamp » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:37 pm

Nyuni sighed wondering what she was in for. " Yes, I guess we should get going then. " She said lightly, still not sure what to make of this place. He didn't answer he question, but gave what seemed to be a half answer, missing the main point of her question. She guessed that must mean he had no last minute advise for her and thus she guessed he thought her completely ready. If this was the case then she should be good to go.

The building was slightly intimidating by the looks of it. It seemed like a place that would not be a great healing environment. But it was the healers job to heal, no matter the situation. She would endure, and Omon would be right there.

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:58 pm

They walked to the back of the edifice and a door that hung on two hinges was slightly open. Omon opened the door with a palatable screech of protest from the door.

"That door sounds like a banshee."

The small room that they had entered had six beds in it and each bed had a fur in it with each a different condition. One had boils cover her fur from the tip of her nose to her pinky toe. another was missing a limb and the wound had a sickly yellow look to it, and yet another was a sickly green and barely breathing. Omon frowned,

"Well furs do get sick don't they."

Omon spotted his friend kneeling besides the fur with the missing limb. Omon walked up to him and asked,
"Any in a real bad way?"

The hedgehog to preoccupied nearly shook his head.

"No, they live for a while yet. The green lad needs some serious help but i already called -"
the hedgehog looked up and smiled.

"Well if it isn't Omon. If I had known you were coming I would have cancelled the professional I called for. Your as good as they come. Well since your hear can you help that chap over there thats gone and lost his arm. He waddled in three days ago and his stump was already infected. I can't do much for him, but since your hear you can use on of your magic tricks to help clear up some space here."

Omon shook his head.

"You never change let me see what i can do. Hey Nyuni what do you think is wrong with this person and how would you go about treating him."

Omon knew the solder was suffering from a terrible infection. If they shaved his fur around his stub they would find angry red lines. They needed to drain the puss of the wound then scrub the stub then bandage the area then feed the poor man a certain herb that was nothing more then a green mold. But what she didn't know was how to use magic to hurry the process along, but that would come after he heard her answer.

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Vamp
Count

Post by Vamp » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:15 pm

She though nervously as he asked if any were in a real bad way, they all looked rather bad at the moment. She simply listened, and wondered what this 'professional' would be like. However the question stired her out of her thinking process, now was healing and training time, no time for idle thoughts. She examined his would without a touch, merely looking it over for a second. The nastly color of the stump was a clear bright sign screaming INFECTION to anyone with an inkling of knowledge.

" That he has a very bad infection is obvious. One this bad need treatment quickly. By the time an infection gets so bad it can spread causing more harm. It may not sound the best idea at first, but I think the first think is to give something to help the pain, as the cleaning process is going to hurt. Perhaps that herb you taught me about when we first met. The last thing we want is for him to get moving around too much while we try to clean his stump. She may have already given him some medication for pain, in which case we need to know what that is. We do not want any bad reactions with what we must give him to help with the infection. combining some herbs, fungi, and other medicinal tihngs can cause more harm than good. "

She smiled a bit as she continued with what she would do about it. She was no longer enrvous at times like this. The task had the effect of ridding her of distractions, she had learned to have her mind on healing now.

" Aside from that we need to clean the wound as the first thing for treating the infection. That involves getting rid of all the puss as well as cleaning the skin and muscle around the stump. Once all the puss and dead skin is off, it will need to be bandaged. Perhaps an herb or fungi for helping prevent blood loss might help as well.....we do not want him bleeding too much..... "

As she had already said, keeping the poor fur still was going to be hard, there might need to be some pain medication. and it was going to take time....

" There are also herbs to help with infections....but you once mentioned a fungi that helped that...I do not have any on me, but perhaps they have some here or at the apothocary....It will take time to do it though...I did some magic training before I met you.....but not much...perhaps that could help....but again I am no expert at it, and it would not speed it along much. Perhaps you know some? "

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:33 am

"Yes first we need to drain the puss by reopening the wound then draining all the puss that has accumulated around the area, but it is best if we give him the medicine now while he is not thrashing wildly. Watch carefully."

Omon reached into his pack and gathered a green fuzz and a bright purple twig. He then took out a pestle and mortar. He mashed the two plants together and made a thick paste. Carefully he feed the patient the thick goo carefully.

"This is the thing that will take care of the infection, and this is so he will sleep. It is much easier to scrub an infected wound when they are asleep then trying to do it when they are awake."

Omon chuckles at his own joke. After a while the patient seems to seam in less pain and is unconscious.

"Now I have to cut the man’s wound open until all the puss is drained.â€

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Vamp
Count

Post by Vamp » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:15 pm

AS Nyuni had thought, he must be given medicine for the pain, and though she was not sure if it was best he was unconscious, she would trust Omon there. It did make sense to put him out before cleaning the wound. Considering that she had brough up medicine as one step to help the pain, and said it was best to do first, she might have felt disgruntled by the way he said it, like she had never mentioned it. But it was likely unintentional, and she was not taken aback at all, but used to it.

She watched him blend the herbs together with his pestle and mortar, careful to observe how thin he crushed it to. It seemed to exude a liquid, because he did not add one himself. She knew some plants could have liquids inside which came out when crushed, and assumed that could be the case with fungi as well.

She carefully watched as she slashed across the wounded stump and saw the rather horrifying pus stream forth from the cut. She knew sometimes healing one wound meant causing another, and it did not bother her much, but it was interesting to see. Indeed it was as bad as she had expected just looking at it. The pus not only looked terrible but smelled equally bad.

When it came to the symbols she recognized the light elemental symbol but not the earth one, she had not learned hardly any earth magics, and this would be a learning experience for her. She quickly made a mental note on the symbol and drew it in her minds eye, trying to hold it there as long as possible. When she had it firmly in her mind she wrote it in her handbook, taking a minute to sketch the symbol as accurately as possible. Once she had it drawn she placed the handbook in her bag.

" Yes, I have learned the light elemental symbol before, but the earth one is new to me, being part avian my limited magical knowledge was with light and wind, I have never learned any earth magic before. Thank you for teaching it to me! "

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Omon smiled,

"This is the simplest healing spell I know. This cannot heal anything bigger then a small cut or bruise, but it is invaluable when you don't want to bandage small wounds. I would have bandaged his wound when I was done, but I was afraid he would become infected again. When he wakes up I'll give him some more of the green mold, and tell him of the apothecary and give him written instructions on what to do to keep him from developing infections, how he should take the medicine, and for how long."

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Vamp
Count

Post by Vamp » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:51 pm

Nyuni considered this. Would he understand how best to give himself medications, after all it was a bit complicated, but she would have to trust Omon. He was a good teacher, so this should be no problem for him. she considered what they would do next, as sure the healing was not over after only cleaning out a severe infection. " Who should we get to work on now? I immagine our work is far from done. One patient seems to be doing alright, but I immagine we will hopefully see more than one better off with our presence. "

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:26 am

(This is a bit dry, do you wish to continue on this line or do you want something else to happen. I am happy to continue, but I wanted to know your thoughts.)

Omon smiles at Nyuni.

"There is a lot of work here. There aren’t many here that warrant immediate attention. I was thinking of leading you through the serious cases then letting you take care of the minor ones. I would watch you and see what you were doing. This is the best training a healer can get."

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin